Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• armac13armac13 Posts: 1,129
    "good luck finding one, buddy."

I think you missed it. They are having trouble giving the things away - BIG discounts - despite the limited production. I would not hurry to buy an overweight, ugly, lame-duck SUV? from a manufacturer that may be going out of (N.A.) business. But that's just me. Spend your (parents) money anyway you want.

Ross
  • bruticusbruticus Posts: 229
    There seems to be no 2002 VehiCROSS in the "New Car Info" section. Info on the 2001 in "Used" is limited to a few comments on the vehicle.

DjB
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    It has the same driveline and frame/chassis as the Trooper (tried and true for 10 years) so parts aren't an issue. There were about 1500-2000 made and Isuzu has tons of em stock piled that have yet to be sold. 2001 was the last year for them as a MY.

Until you people have driven one I'd prefer your "body roll" "overbloated SUV" comments to be kept to yourselves.

I agree it is a weird comparison, but then again I had a deposit on a Legacy GT Wagon before I bought my Trooper.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I have the rear diffy protector on my Forester, installed it myself. It's not the lowest point of the underbody, but it is sturdy and would be good if you drive on lots of gravel roads.

At 22, insurance is a big factor. I suggest you call and get quotes, there may be a large difference.

VX should be very durable. Trooper wins awards from JD Powers in 5 year durability, and there is a 10/120 warranty. The trucks hold up, period. They are rare (good and bad) and should be discounted if any are left. While some find the cladding ugly, it will be far more chip and scratch resistant that Subaru's paint, by a long shot.

The WRX is more my type of vehicle, because I prefer lighter, smaller cars, but let's not dismiss the VX just because of its styling - he obviously is drawn to it.

-juice
  • rileyyhrileyyh Posts: 49
    The WRX is nice, the vehicross is nice. Personality wise, I'm more of a Vehicross since I don't speed and I like doing stuff like biking and hiking. Both have good power, but one is turbo which makes the engine work harder? While WRX suspension is good, the Vehicross suspension is supposedly the only one found in commercial cars (it's some type of off road performance shocks which never overheat). Some Vehicross owners have compared the handling to sports cars, but not WRX since it's stiffer chassis than most sports cars. If you think about it, WRX is a $24000 car while the Vehicross is a $30,000 car. Maybe the Vehicross is the better deal for me if I can get it for cheaper than the WRX.

paisan - you work for an Isuzu dealer? could you give me an honest idea of what the best deal i could get on a new 2001 vehicross would be? the last quote i received was either $23,300 with normal financing or $26,500 with 0%financing for 5 years and tax was already added on that price. I'm thinking since they had a lot and called my parents back 4 times or so, they are willing to go even lower.
  • narenjinarenji Posts: 161
    I'd like the Vehicross on a "once-in-a-while" basis, but I wouldn't want to drive it daily because of the high gas consumption. The WRX is much more of a sports car, but the VX did get rave reviews for its suspension tuning.

BTW, I just took my WRX wagon into the local mountain here near Upland/Ontario, CA, and did essentially a tarmac rally stage... There's a road called Glendora Ridge Road, it's paved, but there's no yellow lines, and very very lightly travelled, and my friend and I tried to go through the road as quickly and safely as possible, and I developed a whole new respect for the abilities of this car, even on stock rims. I doubt the VX would be as fun on this road.

That's true that the VX has less cargo room, because it's two door. I believe Isuzu had a prototype VX 4 door, but they never actually made it production. That would have much more room than the WRX. The VX is a unique SUV though, and the WRX will be available for a while...
    But have a friend who does. Those prices could probably go down about $500-$700 IMHO.

The Vehicross guys are a bit psycho about how well it handles. It is probably the best handling SUV and handles better than 90% of the cars out there, but it isn't a sports car. The shocks are available on the Troopers sold in Japan. They are essentially Baja Racing Shocks that have an external resivoir and therefore don't heat up as quickly as conventional shocks.

From my read of your driving style, the VX is probably going to give you more utility than a WRX.

-mike
  • narenjinarenji Posts: 161
    the pricing shouldn't change with financing rates, AFAIK. Isuzu subsidizes the 0% financing anyway, and the dealer always get a kickback from the financing company.
    The way the Isuzu financing deal works is this:

It's 0% financing OR $X,XXX cash-back, but the dealer can only submit 1 claim per vin #. You have to choose which works out better for your situation. A lot of people take the 0% financing, I took the $4,000 off on my truck.

-mike
    Is it possible for you to ask your friend who works at the dealer what is the lowest price I should be able to get the new 2001 Vehicross for if I'm going to get the 0% financing? I don't want to seem unreasonable, but I don't want to pay more than I have to. Thanks.

riley
    I'd go in with an invoice offer and negotiate up to no higher than 1-2% above invoice.

If the model even has a $2000 rebate, that's proof that demand is not such that they can ask for more. I realize you want the financing, but I'm talking supply vs. overall demand.

-juice
    The last time they offered the lowest price possible, it was about $2000 or more below invoice with tax already included, so it was a couple thousand below invoice. But since they have a lot in their stock and they've called my parents 4 times in the last month, I think they are willing to go even further down in price. I don't think this is like a normal purchase since it is 2001 and in low demand. Especially with MY 2003 right around the corner, making these a brand new 2 year old car.

riley
  • viet2viet2 Posts: 66
    I would recomend the Vehicross simply for the fact that you get more metal for your money. The VX probably weights 500 more then the WRX. So by the pound, it is a better deal.
    is the last year for the VX, so there are no 02s or 03s. I believe that the VX and Trooper have $3000 incentive so if they are offering it at $2K below invoice with tax included that mean they are offering it at Invoice. I'd say you can probably get em down to about invoice less the rebate maybe a few $100 more than that, obviously they didn't want to move em too badly or they'd be gone already.

-mike
    You're on the right track, riley, and seem to have done your home work. Good luck.

AN has the rebate at $2000, but it may vary be region so we could both be right.

-juice
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    A bunch of Subaru owners telling you to get the VehiCross. Aren't we honest individuals. :-)

If you didn't already know, there's an Isuzu Owner's Forum here as well. Also, check out these pics of myself, paisan and some friends off-roading in Subaru's, VX's, etc.
    http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-02/pics/index_5.htm

-Dennis
  • rex_ruthorrex_ruthor Posts: 140
    now i know why the Vehicross thread has been archived.
    LOL Well said.

Ross
    Aren't we a bit full of ourselves. Glad to see you guys have an open mind :(

-mike
    Ross: I thought you were practicing hypnotism, until you fell asleep too! ;-)

-juice
    Hehe, actually, the reason I'm posting about the Vehicross here is because the Isuzu board doesn't have an active Vehicross board.

What's funny is, I was first posting on the Vehicross board at Vmag.com, but then I heard them talk about the WRX there and so I decided to buy a WRX. Now, in the WRX board, I am thinking of buying a Vehicross again. Hehe, and I just go to the VW Jetta board and say how I'm not going to buy their car because of reliability and how these other two cars are better. I'm bad, all mixed up, lol.

riley
  • kenskens Posts: 5,869
    Riley,

Savor the shopping experience. It doesn't get much better than this.

Ken
    You can come over to the Isuzu Owner's club the guys there are quite knowledgeable and a little less zealous than the VX guys.

-mike
  • hunter001hunter001 Posts: 851
    From what you described, I think either of the cars would meet your needs, regardless of whether you choose the REX or the VX.

But since your parents seem to be drawing you towards the VX, and they happen to be financing (??) the deal, I think VX is the vehicle meant for you.

The WRX would have been a lot more "fun" however if you drive mostly on paved roads, IMHO.

Later...AH
  • bull3964bull3964 Posts: 65
    "The WRX would have been a lot more "fun" however if you drive mostly on paved roads, IMHO."

I think it should read...

"The WRX would have been a lot more "fun" however if you drive mostly in areas where it has enough ground clearance."

Paved has little to do with it.
    Luckily the WRX will be around for a while, so he can always pick up the WRX. The VX is quite limited in #s so it will be cool to have such a limited production car.

-mike
    My father bought a new '58 Edsel. He thought it was a great buy.
    :-)

Ross
    I gotta agree with paisan on this one. If you don't like to see yourself coming and going, getting a rare vehicle is a nice bonus. Rarity is one the reasons I like the SVX so much.

The WRX isn't too popular yet, but IMO it will get to that point.

-juice
  • mmatheosmmatheos Posts: 4
    Hey guys, this is my first post. I bought a new WRX about a month ago, and I'm just now noticing a weird noise.
    Lets say I am driving in a parking lot, and I am going in 2nd gear at like 15 miles per hour. If I lift off the gas completely, and the rpms begin to drop/car starts to slow down because of engine braking, I hear this low scratching noise. This noise is fairly quiet, but not very quiet, although with the radio on you probably wouldn't hear it. It occurs as the rpms slowly drop as they would in the situation i just mentioned in a parking lot. Its kind of like a chrchrchrchr, if that helps at all.
    The thing is, my Old legacy I had before the WRX made the same noise, I'd just never noticed it before on my WRX. Am I being paranoid??
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    I get the same noise. I've had everything checked out. Chalk up to quirky personality much like the characteristic somewhat lumpy idle or the famous "boxer" motor growl. :-)

Stephen
This discussion has been closed.