Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Anyone know if the WRX has the same interior demensions as the existing Impreza? That way, I can at least go down to the dealer and sit in one to see just how big it is. As I'm 6'3", I'm a little concerned ...
  • italstallion: My wife owns a 96 Impreza Wagon that I drive quite often. I am also 6'3" and the car is definitely tight for my dimensions. There is plenty of head room and leg room is ok if I slam the seat all the way back. I generally tilt the setback rearwards about 20 degrees from vertical to feel more comfortable when I drive. But, generally, the car feels a bit too small for me. My wife is 5'0" so she loves it. It has 90k on the odometer and not a single problem. I change the oil every 3k since it was new. I've been looking at buying a new 3 series BMW and really want the 330 but have had trouble justifying the additional $4-5k over the 325. Now I find a car that can outrun the 330 for $15k less. I don't particularly care for the aesthetics of the WRX. If I did, I might justify compromising my comfort in the little car just for the performance. If the WRX is a little larger than the current Impreza, I am definitely interested.
  • Longrider - thanks for the reply. That's one reason why I like the Lexus IS300 .... it's one of the few cars where I can actually move the car UP from its rear limit and still be comfortable.

Anyone (perhaps outside the U.S.) on this board actually driven a WRX, and can enlighten us to the interior dimensions?
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    I think the SE-R V-spec will be a great car, but it is a completely DIFFERNT thing then the WRX. The SE-R will be an Integra/Focus-R/Civic Si/etc competitor. Fast, nimble, FWD cars.

The WRX has more power, much higer price, a turbo, and above all... AWD. Two completely different beasts, both excellent in their respective classes though.

:-)
  • ramonramon Posts: 825
    sporin hit it right.

the new Imprezas should be a bit larger interior wise than the current generation of Imprezas. The current gen's interior is ok for me. 5'8"... I do agree it doesn't have alot of legroom however it has alot of headroom. The rears are good enough for tiny person. Hehehe....
    We have a 330Ci at home which we just took delivery a month ago. Very roomy inside. way better than out old Ford Probe. It's the biggest car in our stable right now. Not sure if you want an auto or manual. The 330's manual is weird! I find hte clutch to be very finicky. It's like some kinda on/off switch. Maybe we're not used to it. However for the price and if you don't mind a little bit less luxury in the car, the WRX is amazing. I have no problem believing it that it could run around our 330Ci at home. Oh well....
  • sshinsshin Posts: 10
    I can't think of a single US market sedan that can compete with the WRX in this price range. The new Sentra SE-R sounds like a great car, but no front wheel drive sedan with 170hp can compete with a 4wd 227hp unless maybe there's a huge weight advantage.

I'm also a bit worried about the roominess, I'm looking to get the new Toyota Highlander for practicality and need a second car that I can have some fun with. This WRX is perfect, it's under $25K (still a bit shocked at the low price), and with 4 doors it will probably have more room than say the new Integra (200hp fwd) or Celica (180hp fwd).

The only car that I think will be able to compete with the WRX performance wise under $30K will be the upcoming 2003 Nissan Z, which has rear wheel drive and is offered with a V-6 at 260hp, starting hopefully under $30K. Another competitor which I test drove recently is the Mustang GT. For only $23K, you get a V-8 at 260hp, rear wheel drive and a 5 speed manual. The clutch pedal had a really high travel, but it just tears from the stoplight. But I'm a bit wary of Ford's reliability and not the biggest fan of the Mustang.

I can't wait to test drive the WRX in mid-March. I really don't know anyone personally who's driven a WRX, I guess up until now, all WRX have had the steering wheel on the right side and were only available in Japan, England, etc...
  • I've sent an advance order to my local dealer through the WRX web site. Has anyone actually been able to verify the MSRP for a five-speed sedan? How about pricing on options such as the short shifter and gauge cluster? An S4 has been an unattainable dream for me, but I just might be able to justify the stretch for a WRX -- if the dealers don't gouge! Any comments from current Subie owners out there on whether a leggy, 6'5" driver will fit into a WRX?
    6'5" is pretty darn tall. Are you mostly legs? Cus as I've posted earlier the current gen Imprezas have short legroom. =(
  • At lunch, I trucked down to the Subaru dealer and checked out the interior space on the current Impreza. My 6'3" frame fit more comfortably than I thought it would. Plenty of headroom, and legroom was sufficient. If the WRX has anymore legroom than that, whatsoever, it will be a comfortable fit.
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    The new Impreza body is supposed to be a bit bigger so if you git in teh current one, you should be ok in the new one. Plus, there is no sunroof in the WRX, a plus for the tall.
  • Silver Bullet brought up a good point. I think that demand will be high for the WRX. I mean, come on, awd, turbo, what else do you want. How much over MSRP do you think that dealers will charge? Will it be like honda s2000 situation?
    u have to realise that not many ppl know about Subaru excellent offerings and still consider Subaru to be the maker of farm cars. =) So I doubt that it would get as high a price gouge as the S2000 or Integra Type R garner. Anyways it's all speculation. Edmunds' review thot it would be 25-28K and thot it was still worth it.
  • SpyponderSpyponder Posts: 128
    The performance numbers on this car seem fantastic. Performance aside however, any opinions on the looks of this thing? Based on the pictures I've seen, it reminds me of a Hyundai from the front, and a Corolla from the rear.

Given the small dimensions of this car, I wonder if many will be willing to pay the price. That $24K MSRP someone mentioned is sure to be higher when options/accessories are added - Subaru is notorious for this.
  • Here's a site with some good info and pictures:

http://www.new-impreza.com/na.htm

Regarding option markup - there are very few options for the car. Only ones I'm aware of are a rear spoiler and possible security system.
  • I think the WRX sedan (without the spoiler, please!) is a very cool design! It looks very purposeful and is uniquely Japanese - in a good way. The fender flares are a nice touch, and the lights are terrific. You won't mistake this car for a Civic!
  • jk111jk111 Posts: 125
    I think the dealers are going to gouge like no tomorrow. Production wise it is not that limited. But it will attract a lot of people due to the fantastic pricing. It is good tho, because now the likes of Celica, RS-X, eclipse will be priced lower because this price range is getting crowded with cars (which was non-existent from mid to late 90's) I am expecting a mark up of at least 2-3 grand. Maybe I will wait for the 2003 wrx..sigh.
  • hersbirdhersbird Posts: 323
    www.new-impreza.com lists yellow as a option for the first 3 months. This is very cool, anybody verified this as a possibility? I think the average Subaru dealer will stick to MSRP but does anybody know of a Subaru dealer that always does the $500 over invoice deal or something like that? They should have got this car here BEFORE winter, with all the poor driving conditions nationwide this year. Also I think the 2001 2.5 RS looks better then the 2002 WRX, oh well, it looks like a neon which is what I'm driving now. Does anyone know acceleration times for the automatic? I am more interested in 1/4 mile times, will it beat 14.7 sec a pre 98 Caddy STS can run? I'd get a 5-speed in a heartbeat but my wife says the neon replacement must be an automatic.
  • As verified by the OFFICIAL press release and OFFICIAL Subaru WRX web page: (www.imprezawrx.com)

$23,995 Sedan
    $23,495 Wagon

Extra $1k for Auto on either one.

And as for "Price Gouging":
    Only a couple of dealers have quoted ABOVE the official MSRP and have stuck to it. Most are saying MSRP exactly, but Maita Subaru here in Sacramento is quoting $500 bellow MSRP, and some people on the I-club got together a group-buy for the WRX at Diablo Canyon Subaru for $1000 under MSRP.
    Most subaru dealers are low volume, low hassle dealers (minus a few in largly populated areas) that are willing to sell cars reasonably. And if they arent williing to budge, SHOP AROUND AT OTHER DEALERS! Theres always another dealer near by, check your local papers to find 'em...
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
    Got quoted sticker, no more or less, on the WRX at their local dealer here in PA. What a perfect replacement for their '91 Celica All-Trac Turbo.
  • The respected British journal "Car" has a review in it of the new Impreza WRX. (They previously named the WRX the Car of the Decade [for the 90's] over 10 other finalists including the BMW 3 series, and even a Ferrari 360 Modena.)

They report 5.9 seconds to 60 mph, and say the redesigned version has more legroom and a heigth-adjustable driver's seat.
This discussion has been closed.