Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Take a look at this post which is in the Photo Gallery discussion in the Owners Club (see link at the top of this page to get to the Club discussion list): KarenS "Subaru Crew: Photo Gallery" Jan 31, 2001 11:53am.

Please remember that you must own the picture in order to use this method to display it. If you don't own it, you may certainly post a link, but you may not use the img src tags to display it.

I hope this makes sense -- feel free to email me if you have questions.
  • Bought a 2002 silver WRX last November. Currently, have over 30,000 miles on it. I have had no problems and usually run about 100mph on the highways in the Northeast. Run it hard every time, and there's always a smile on my face. I love messing with the exotics, the owners usually don't know how to drive them. Police are clueless, I hardly get a second look, even running through a speedtrap at 80. See you all on the twisty's, backroads, and the highways!! oh, upgrade your electronics, and tires from aftermarket companies. It's better quality, better performance, and less money! :)
  • Hi everybody. Don't know if anybody would be interested, but tire rack is closing out Yokohama's AVSI summer tires. You can get 225/50R16 tires (fit just fine on the stock rims) for $60 each. I have a set on my Miata (not my WRX yet) and I like them a lot. Happy Driving everybody.

Objects in the mirror are closer than they app... oops, disappeared again

Andy
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Awsome tires. I bought a set of those for my SVX in that size which is the stock size for my car. So far so good but tore up the fronts pretty bad @ auto-x. :(

-mike
  • 1. Any reasons why the sunroof is not a factory option in US
    2. Europe, Japan and other countries have the option
  • I want to add rallye lights for my WRX. I am considering; Hella Ralleye 3000 in blue, PIAA 80 racing clear driving lights, or IPF 960 Super rally driving lights. Has anyone installed any of these or does anyone have a suggestion? I will appreciate all your responses! Thanks in advance. The sunroof is not an option due to structual reasons, and Subaru say's that it will void all warrenties if installed aftermarket. :( It can be done though, there is a shop in Mass that will do it.:)
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    Whoever told you that is the southern end of a north bound horse! Your warranty claim can only be rejected if the modification you made can be reasonably identified as the source of the problem. Now if you believe that SOA could reasonably argue that the reason your transmission blew up is the aftermarket sunroof you had installed, then you may want to hold off.
    - Hutch
  • Cool! That will probably be my next tire! Not ready to buy new rims anyway (other financial priorities).
    and 225 tires are probably not a good idea. Just a thought. heck on my 7.5" I didn't want to go to a 245 tire due to rim width reasons.

-mike
    I think that they don't offer the factory roof on the US ones because it is TINY and most americans would probably laugh at it. It's small because it needs to fit between the A and B pillar x-beams.

As for warranty, they can't deny all warranty claims, but anything having to do with leaks, or body integrity would be fair game IMHO.

-mike
    My buddy put on a great set of Hella FF300s from Susquehana Motorsports http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/index.htm they work great and fit in the bumper w/o too much effort.

-mike

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,709
    is the same one used on Legacy GT sedans and Bajas. So, size is not an issue. Marketing is...

Bob
    the WRX moonroof is much smaller and goes on the outside rather than inside. Doesn't cut the B pillar beam, unless you have more info than I.

The RS roof is the same as the SVX, but those 2 are different than the ones in the GT sedans.

-mike
    << the WRX moonroof is much smaller and goes on the outside rather than inside. >>

The Legacy GT and Baja also have very small moonroofs. I haven't seen any pixs of the Japanese WRX with the moonroof open, so I don't know if it opens inside or outside.

IIRC, the last-generation RS's sunroof opened to the outside, and it was popular. So, whether it opened inside or outside, shouldn't be a problem, in terms of popularity.

Bob
    but the WRX one from the japan pics, looks significantly wider but shorter(f<->r) than the Baja and GT sedan ones.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    mike: did you heat cycle those tires? You gotta go through a few warm-up/cool-down cycles before driving them that hard.

-juice
    So heat cycling won't help, but I did drive them about 200-300 miles before auto-xing them. They wore about the same as the ones I ran on the XT6 on auto-x.

-mike
  • twrxtwrx Posts: 647
    With that beam across the ceiling of the WRX the sunroof would have to roll outside and would be tiny. That is a adequate description of the sunroof in the previous generation RS. (My wife's car that is.) Due to the external rollout the last 4" or so at the back of the opening is covered. Add to that the fact she bought the plastic sunroof deflector and another 4" or so at the fron is covered. All in all there is only about 6" of area that is truly open to the sky. Be carefull what you wish for...
    TWRX
  • 225/50R16 tires do fit on the stock rims. I've been running that size with Kumho 712s for about 8000 miles w/no problems. It turns out they are exactly the same diameter as the stock size. The wide tread gives them an aggressive look and good protection from curbs etc also.

Andy
    Any sun/moonroof is better than no sun/moonroof, no matter how small, IMO.

Bob
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    all I need to say is damn.....and it's harder to peel your head off the headrest
    You obviously aren't pushing your car hard enough, with 225s on a 6.5" rim you must have some massive pinching of them, which would lead to rollover and all kinds of other problems in performance situations. Then again the Kumho 712s aren't exactly great tires so it's probably no big deal, but yes you can physically mount em on there (probably on 5.5inch wide rims too) but it's definitely not optimal by any stretch of the imagination.

-mike
    the STi has 225/45x17 tires mounted on 17"x7.5" rims. My guess is that if you're going to go with a 225 size, especially with a lower profile, to go with at least a 7" rim, or better still, a 7.5" rim.

Bob
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Who installed it? Did you do other mods?

-Dennis
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    It wasn't my car....it was my friend's car.

Got the uppipe (watch out for the EGT sensor falling out) and down pipe (now running with 1 cat) done earlier.

A manual boost controller stabilized the boost (whereas the boost was bouncing around), which as transferred to the new turbo after the test run.

Fuel injectors and fuel pump are coming later (soon).

turbochargers.com has a pretty good deal, about $600 with the core exchange.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Yeah, watch out for the [non-permissible content removed] problem. Stephen had some issues with that. :-)

-Dennis
  • barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    The EGT falling out problem, that is. I screwed in a 12x120 bolt to the "[non-permissible content removed]" where the EGT probe resided. I threaded a nut down the bolt to the outside of the the [non-permissible content removed] as well. I placed a 2.2 ohm resistor into the connection where the probe plugged into the ECU. Seems to have done the trick. BTW, the probe was already loose since I last tightened it last Monday.

Stephen
  • Ran 215s on 6.5" rims before and it dramatically improved handling and stability of the car.
  • From experience I wouldn't go with that setup. You will feel the tires to wander because they flex too much (tires too wide for the rims) espcially at high speed (70mph+). Although they feel great during cornering no wonder its good for autocrossing. But for freeway driving the car doesn't feel very stable (stock RE92 205/55/16 felt more stable).
    For auto-x you want to have as little side wall flex as possible. That's why a lot of people run close to 50psi in their tires! Widest rims you can get are optimal for auto-x.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.