Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    has a 20% share of FHI, the company that owns Subaru.

-Brian
  • The guy that told me GM owned Subaru was wrong. They own part of Saab not Subaru. *Starts crying wildly* I hate Saabs want a Subie.
  • GM has, according to what I have read, a 25% stake in FHI (parent company of Subaru). There were plans to use a Subaru platform for a GM car/truck/suv, but I believe it has been scrapped.

GM owns Saab outright.

John
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    That's my XT6 :)

By the way all those snow pics were taken at an undisclosed location in upstate NY :) "Closed Track and Professional Drivers" or at least as close to that as possible. It is in a sand-pit that is not open to traffic and most, if not all the drivers were operating their vehicles in a professional manner :)

-mike
  • GM does not own "part of SAAB" - they own SAAB 100%. They used to own around 50% of SAAB a few years back but then exercised the option to purchase it outright, a couple of years back.

About Subaru, I thought GM owned 20% of the car company "Subaru" (subsidiary of FHI) and not FHI, which is a lot larger. FHI is a huge conglomerate that includes a lot of companies, including Subaru.

Later...AH
    Sorry, GM owns 22% of MORE (I think they picked up an extra 3% recently) of FHI which owns Subaru.

-mike
  • You are absolutely right ! I just checked and GM does own the stake in Fuji Heavy Inds (FHI) and not just Subaru.

Later...AH
  • I've owned my WRX wagon since Oct 2001. Today, it finally got its official "snow break-in," driving through the Long Island snow covered roads today. I told my wife that I plan on being a Subaru owner for life! My WRX stuck to the roads like the tires had fly paper on them. Of course, I drove responsibly through turns, and allowed adequate following distance for stopping. The ride was much better than any FWD vehicle I've ever driven in the snow. I had no trouble at all riding up my inclined driveway that was covered in about 1/2 foot of snow. Needless to say, I am quite please with how the WRX handled in the snow. I don't see any need to change from the stock Potenza tires, at least in my area (New York City/Long Island area).
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    wait till you have worn off more tread, then those RE92s will be awful in wet or snow! Had them on 3 previous Legacies and now the WRX, they are fine when relatively new and you got lots of tread but stink big time later which is why Bridgestone has replaced many models with UNI-T which isn't supposed to do this.
    Where are all the NYers coming out of hiding!!! You should come hang with the rest of us Scooby Nuts sometime, we are in LI often!

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Oh, is that Weasel? I thought it was U.S. rally team car. LOL!
    -Dennis
  • It was my subie's first "snow break-in". They were doing very good in 4" snow. I had no problem to drive up to the hill (25 degree) at 30MPH. Love it so much!

-luk
  • epp1epp1 Posts: 48
    but where's the snow?! Just swapped my P1s/Sumis for my OE rims with Nokian Hakkas. Dealer did it gratis and "got to keep" the RE92s. Hehe.

Cold as heck here in MN, but no real snow to speak of.

Hakkas add a little rumble and are of a fairly soft durometer. They get a somewhat squirrly on cold pavement if you try to corner too aggressively. Had me nearly sideways on my favorite daily on ramp entrance!

Planning on having "Santa" get me the Stage 0 kit as Vishnu finally has an authorized install center here in the Minneapple.

Nothing funnier than dusting some mullet sporting, IROC driving fella trying to win the holeshot for that next turn or on/off ramp in my lil' wagon with two bikes on top.

Even funnier than beating them is thinking about all the kind words their other brother Darryl is barking at them from the passenger seat.

--Sean
    Mullet Wearing + IROC doesn't seem right, at least where I am at. IROC + Spiked Up, Goomba is more what I associate with an IROC :)

-mike
  • I mean that I love my subie while the RE92s are not bad in snow. I will go for KDWS next time.
  • Hey Sean, I see your in Minneapolis...what dealer did you get your Subie from? Would you recommend them? I'm looking to get a wagon this spring...

Also, where's the Vishnu authorized installer?

Thanks!

-Jon
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    Every time I happen to pass a guy in a BMW 3-series, he all of a sudden gets the urge to speed up and pass me. I am not into racing so I let the guy go, but man. You would figure some of these guys would have their egos in check!

Sorry, jut griping. It has been a long day.
  • mgp1mgp1 Posts: 2
    I'm considering getting a wrx. Is anyone on this message board driving the wrx in really hot and muggy weather? I'm just curious how the turbo engine will last in the heat. Thanks.
  • mikenkmikenk Posts: 281
    I live in Dallas, which is certainly hot enough. I have no problems in the summer; the cooling system kept the temp guage at the same point it does in the winter. I assume that is what you are asking.

Mike
  • mgp1mgp1 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to justify upgrading to a wrx if I live in very warm/dry weather. We'll see if the dealer I'm working with now gives me the invoice price he promised.
    Until GM owns +50% of FHI, I would not worry about it. Also, the new Saab 9-3 is supposed to be a major improvement over the old Saab.

Also, the WRX is made in Japan, no worries. :-)
  • mikenkmikenk Posts: 281
    mgp1
    Even in warm weather sites, it rains; the car remains unique, and my golf clubs fit great year round.

GM knows it has quality problems; they buy companies to help themselves not hurt the other companies. They are not that stupid or arrogant.

Mike
  • Got a few questions people. First, I'm looking to spend thru the Costco Auto buy program about $22-23,000 for a WRX is this a pipe dream or a reality? Second how is it for trips, is it comfortable? Is there much turbo lag? last but not least is it true that doing some minor adjustments to the intake and exhaust can increase power?

Thanks in advance!!!

Nutty!
  • Go test drive one!!!

My idea of comfortable, quietness, and lack of turbo lag is different from anyone elses.

Turbo lag is there, but it bothers some people more than others. I don't find it obtrusive. Below 3000 rpm, the turbo isn't doing much, so the car feels weak at lower revs.

I drove 3500 miles in a week, it was very comfortable.

Between $22K and $23K is possible for a WRX.

You can definitely get some new pipes to help the car breather better and change the sound. I suggest every WRX owner get new tires as a first upgrade because the stock tires are only so-so.
    As a guy that does a ton of highway driving, the car is fine for long trips. It has a rougher ride than many of the family sedans on the market (due to its sporty nature), but it is still easily liveable.
  • kenokakenoka Posts: 218
    My view of turbo lag is different. The turbo basically gives you two different cars. Under 3000 rpm you have the compliant little putt putt 2 liter engine. It's fine for grocery getting or in traffic. When you need to open it up, you get into boost and whoooosh! You suddenly have a different animal on your hands. I think that's beautiful. I think most people who complain about turbo lag are used to larger displacement engines who have lower torque curves and will respond better to just mashing the gas pedal. With a turbo car you need to know where your rpms are. Just my 2 cents.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    It does have 2 personalities. At low rpm it's a refined fuel miser (relatively speaking). At high rpm it's a screaming performance car.

Fitzmall.com has offered them for under $23k, so with Costco that's entirely possible.

-juice
  • I find that adjusting your clutch release to gas pedal push all but alleviates the problem. Releasing the clutch in a slower more deliberate fashion than is typical helps quite a bit. That said I still would prefer the luxury of a more linear power output. I don't agree at all with the two personality advantage. The current set up require more concentration, I prefer my sporty cars to be easier to drive not more difficult. I will admit there is reward to the effort.
  • What's the fun in that? It's the thrill of the hunt that makes it fun. Any Joe can push a throttle to make the car go faster, it's the art of gear shifting, matching revs, being rewarded with the results that make it fun.
  • I think we were talking about pulling away from a cold dead stop here. I still prefer a car to feel like an extension of my very being as opposed to one that presents an idiosyncratic mechanical challenge.
This discussion has been closed.