Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• I've been wanting a WRX since they first came out...but the finances would not allow it....with the new deals, they looked mighty attractive.

Just to get an idea on pricing, I got "internet quotes" from a couple of local dealers. The dealer I was going to use quoted invoice, one across the street $300 below invoice.

I go to ABC dealers because I know a guy there ("Ill take care of you...etc, etc.)and we play the game....he starts of with MSRP and comes to a price that is ridiculous....I tell him about the internet pricing and he says, of course, that noone is selling the WRX for invoice....

In the end, I got it for $1k below invoice. Moral of the story: it pays to do your internet homework.
  • hypovhypov Posts: 3,068
    Wow 8o
    Coupled with 0% promo going on, you can't go wrong.

-Dave
  • corkfishcorkfish Posts: 537
    It would be nice if they offered this package in the states as an "option".

http://www.subdriven.com/artman/publish/article_20.shtml
  • The "Prodrive-developed WRX performance pack" detailed in the article corkfish linked to is indeed coming to the US very soon. Three different stages of tune will be available initially, in fact.
    PPP Stage 1: +20 HP ($1150)
    PPP Stage 2: +40 HP ($1270)
    PPP Stage 3: +68 HP ($2500).

CARB compliance is uncertain, and SOA warranty support is not provided.

More info:
    http://www.spimotorsports.com
    http://www.prodrive-usa.com./exhaust.html
    http://shopatmastro.com/prodrive_performance_packs.html

Naturally there are also several posts on this topic at nasioc.com.
  • sonya4sonya4 Posts: 92
    After the latest episode with the "Check engine" light coming on in my WRX, took it to the dealer. When I picked the car up (had to leave it overnight) they said the cat was just loose so all they did was tighten it.

Is this one of those random things? Has anyone heard of this happening before, in any car?

As for stick shift smoothness, I'd have to say, IMO for the ones I've driven, that the Hondas are the best although the Toyotas, Mazdas, and BMWs are a close second. However I had problems with shifting into reverse with all cars--had to do the shift-into-first-gear first--until the WRX. The short throw is relatively smooth but the stock wasn't bad either. Kinda difficult to compare.

--sonya4
  • redkey1redkey1 Posts: 270
    Is only for 24 months. Any other pros - cons on the 03 v 04? I really like the moonroof but I figure even with the deals on the 03 after adding on an aftermarket roof I might as just well wait for the 04.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    Also, you can't combine the special APRs with the $500 incentive. It's one or the other, not both.
    The 0% financing would be beneficial if you're able to front a large deposit or weather the montly payment, and then have the monthly payments debited from your Subaru M/C.

-Dave
  • Can anybody tell me, if clutch/tranny/differential of 2004 WRX will be changed (hopefully to better) comaring to 02/03 models? The negative experiences of peple posting their problems in every WRX chat are essentially the thing that keeps me from buying the current car, esp with 0% financing, right now. BTW, anybody having problems with WRX suspension/brakes?
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Keep in mind that alot of people buy the WRX to zoom it, and any car can take only so much of that.
  • Have a Legacy; can not call it exactly reliability benchmark - and I take care of it. And don't drive it like on the graveltrack.
    The 03 models already have two fixes that address most transmission complaints on 02 models:

1) improved clutch plate; the old design had springs that would rattle at certain rpms and make a lot of noise (it was an annoyance, not a durability/reliability issue). Apparently, the Honda S2000 had the same problem.

2) clutch release valve (or something like that) which protects the gears from taking abuse when doing a high rpm clutch drop launch. Previously, the clutch would engage and all the stress would be passed onto the gears. Now, the clutch will slip to prevent gear damage.

I believe those two changes address the problems you are likely reading about. And as Paul (vocus) mentioned, some people abuse their WRXs, which leads to problems like #2 above. To me, doing a high rpm clutch drop in an AWD car is pretty much unthinkable. I don't feel sorry for people who trashed their trannies that way!

Craig
  • robmarchrobmarch Posts: 482
    does that subaru m/c trick work? do you get rewards for payments from a credit card, or do they treat that as a cash advance?
    I have heard people talking about doing stuff like that to WRXs on VWVortex. Those people also abuse their VWs, then they turn around and wonder why they break all the time. Go figure...
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Then again, it really isn't all too difficult to break a VW.
  • sensei1sensei1 Posts: 196
    Kind of hard to explain until you drive one around for a while. This car is a driver's car. The car will challenge you if you're a timid driver and will oblige if you like having fun. It can also give you a false sense of confidence and get you in trouble. So like Vocus mentioned, any car will only last for so long if not treated right. I've known people to go through a new clutch in a week.
    If you enjoy driving and not going broke, this is your car. Good luck.
    Rob-
    I'm getting points from bill payments debited to the m/c.

-Dave
    There's a crappy car made by every manufacturer once in awhile...
  • high rpm clutch drop launch - that's for people with money to burn - but while the car is moving, does anybody actually wait 'till rpms drop? I drove my Accord to 125,000 miles on the same clutch, and can not say, that every gearchange was perfect (though I drive stick from 81 and know what I am doing), and still, when I was selling the car clutch wasn't a problem - and here we have tons of people complaing about it in WRX. The major part that I don't like about my SUBARU Legacy experience is spring/struts (I wrote about this problem on edmunds) - it doesn't look like these parts are of high durability, they are dead at 65,000 miles, have to replace them now - and it's not cheap.
    Car and Driver got their famous 5.5sec 0-60 time by doing a clutch drop from 5000rpm, which floored me, but they do that sort of thing all the time to all kinds of cars (easy when it's not your car). They also beat the snot out of a long term WRX and had very few problems out to 40,000 miles except for a crunch going from 2nd to 1st gear at low speeds. That part amazes me, since I can't even drop my WRX from 2nd into 1st gear without double clutching, and who has time for that in a 2-1 situation? That's my main complaint about the transmission, along with some backlash noise from 2nd gear.

Craig
  • Do you have 02 or 03?
    High rpms are not a real problem when shifting while the car is moving. At least the gears and the wheels are spinning at that point. It's only really an issue in a launch situation, and it's worse in AWD since it's so hard to spin a wheel. If the clutch doesn't slip and the wheels don't slip, the metal in between absorbs the shock and it's bad news. Shafts can twist a little and recover, but gears are not made for abuse.

I think we all have botched up a shift, but that's gentle compared to what some people do on purpose!

Craig
  • Looks like there are too many people like these, though... Guys with Toyotas and Hondas don't complain too much though - and those cars take a lot of abuse too.
    I have an 03, but it's only got about 750 gentle miles on it at this point, so I really can't vouch that the 03s are any better or worse than the 02s. But, the mechanical/engineering fixes Subaru made should correct the problems, so I wasn't worried about getting an 03. In fact, I was kind of impressed to read about the fixes -- usually, this sort of technical detail doesn't trickle out to the public.

Craig
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Very true. Maybe it's just the case that the clocks run faster at VW.
  • "impressed to read about the fixes" - where can you read about them or view the specs?
    Outside of the S2000 and possibly the previous generation Prelude (which I owned), I don't think there is a vehicle in Honda's fleet that even comes close to the WRX (I will leave the NSX out of this, since we wouldn't be driving and talking about WRXs if we could afford an NSX), certainly not one with AWD . RSX-S is in the same market, but I test drove one while car-shopping, and it felt like a cream-puff. Not sure that transmission would hold up to abuse either (it did shift quite exquisitely, however). My Prelude had a great transmission, and I have no complaints, but I know other people who had tranny problems with the exact same car.

I don't really pay attention to Toyota sports cars, so I can't comment on that, but my neighbor's son went through a clutch on his Celica in about 8000 miles. He whales on that poor car, unfortunately.

Craig
    I'm pretty sure I read about them on the NASIOC forums. Check it out, and I will also try to locate the info.

Craig
  • sensei1sensei1 Posts: 196
    Struts @ 65k or sooner is about right if you have a sporty ride and care. I've got a Corolla that just broke 63k and it's a little cushy but I can live with it. I had an RX7 that I had the OEM struts changed to Konis @ around 30k. Yup they're not cheap. My minivan had OEMs till I got rid of it w/ 135k on it.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Congrats Mark. Tell us all about it live tonight at the chat (9pm EST).

Prodrive packages but no factory warranty? Why? Those guys have worked with Subaru for ages.

The 2003 got a revised clutch, one with a force limiting valve. The blown trannies were basically on modified cars with 250+hp, and mostly 2002s as well. In fact in one thread on NASIOC about blown trannies, ALL of them were 2002s. These guys were speed-shifting 2nd gear and shredding the gears. Duh.

Don't blame Subaru - when you do mods, you have to keep the car balanced. 250hp or more and you should have already budgeted a new clutch. Much more than that and you may as well start with an STi.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.