Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• vsamvsam Posts: 3
    does anyone know if the new impreza will have an interference or noninterference engine. the reason i ask is, if the timing belt snaps, am i looking at costly repairs for an interference engine, or in the case of a non-interference engine, just the cost for labor and parts for a timing belt.
  • sajohnsonsajohnson Posts: 48
    To answer your question, I think I may be outside of Subaru's target demographic. I'm 39 (40 in July) and male. I usually feel much younger-does that count?!

More importantly, I've been into cars since I was too young to drive. I subscribe to C+D, R+T, MT, etc. I'm always looking for a great 'bang for the buck' deal and the WRX is the best I've seen in quite a while. I've wanted an AWD vehicle for a long time. I couldn't fit in the Eagle/Eclipse/Laser cars so I ended up with a Nissan NX2000. It's been a great ride for over 7 years and 175,000 miles and counting but I can't wait for my WRX!
    Good question! My guess is that with only 8:1 compression, the pistons and valves would have clearance in the event of a broken timing belt. But--no warranty expressed or implied!

I would contact Subaru directly. If you get an answer please let everyone know.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Posts: 284
    21, Male, and yes Subaru is targeting a Male audience...

sajohnson: Yes, im implying that the 1/4 mile is between 14.5 and 14.1, and sorry about the typo :P

lisac: Dont EVER go to Stevens Creek! They are the worst Subaru Dealership IN THE WORLD!!!
  • bedabibedabi Posts: 149
    This site has little clips (apparently from Japan) of the WRX drag racing the Altezza, Accord and the Sylvia. I'm assuming the WRX in the clips are Japan-spec WRXs, but it'll no doubt give you goose bumps watching. Go to the "special" link on the homepage after the flash intro.

http://www.subaru-impreza.com

• intrigue3intrigue3 Posts: 15
    Bedabi-

Pretty impressive clips. Very impressive, actually. I am not versed in this sort of driving, despite driving a turbo charged car now, but how does this car take off so quickly, without spinning its wheels? How high do the RPM's get prior to launch, and do you actually "pop" this clutch? If so, isn't that detrimental to the mechanism?

Thanks
  • glittle6glittle6 Posts: 1
    A local dealer just called @0930 Monday, the truck is at the store and unloading 4 non-sold models. Two silver,one yellow with many options added-on and a blue wagon. I'm off to test drive. It's even raining out today!
  • patchin1patchin1 Posts: 9
    I must say that they are the most clueless and obnoxious bunch of @$$holes I've ever met in any dealership across the country. I stopped by about a month ago to have my Isuzu serviced (same dealership). Out of disbelief/disgust I asked about that MSRP+$3000 sticker on a Legacy GT wagon. The guy said:"Well, we love our cars so we don't want to sell them cheaply...do you want to buy it or not?"
    I can't imagine how much mark up they'd put on a WRX! I won't know first hand because I am getting mine from another dealer and I will not step in Steven Creek Subaru again!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Tom: as a long-time Forester vs. CR-V debater, it was fun to read your post.

I prefer the manual tranny, of course, but let's not criticize Subaru for offering the choice. Plus, the auto sends 55% of the power to the rears. Nothing wrong with that!

Gotta call my dealer. See if they have any yet!

-juice
  • glinski1glinski1 Posts: 5
    I just picked up the WRX wagon on saturday, and its incredibly fast. I ordered the upgreaded speakers and the sub and I could't beleve the quality, being an audiofile I'm very picky, yet I couldn't see any reason for further upgrades. The only thing that pisses me off is that the door are not very keen to closing properly. Almost always I have to shut them 2 or three times. the seats are comfortable and very well bolstered. Its well worth the money.
    I'm a bit of an audiophile myself but did not order the upgrade because I hadn't read any reviews and I was under the impression that the sub and speakers could be added at any time. Is that true? Hope I didn't make a mistake.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Well, how about sharing driving impressions? Sounds like fun...

-juice
  • ottosottos Posts: 80
    glinksi, could you talk more about the stereo? I am wondering if I shuld get the upgrades, or get aftermarket. I was thinking of putting a good aftermarket amplifier (sony eqx) first. Then when the speakers wear out, I'll get new ones.I have heard that, in general, the amplifier is one of the best upgrades you can make because although factory speakers are decent, the amp that drives them is not very good at all. So that makes the amp the most efficient upgrade (biggest increase in sound quality for the money).
  • glinski1glinski1 Posts: 5
    I had heard the Bose stereo in the 2001 Maxima, and I thought it sounded like [non-permissible content removed], the bass wasn't "tight" and it sounded cheap. The WRX is really clean even when cranked. The cost of the upgrade and the sub ~340 dollars is cheap, you will not be able to match it with an aftermarket system (installation, amp, speakers..).

Before this car I drove a 92' Buick LaSabre (yes, a Buick I'm afraid) and I had put in a 1200 dollar stereo audio sys. and I like the Subaru's sound better.

As for driving impressions, I had driven fast cars before and I considered myself a fairly good driver, but I'm still learning how to hold this car down. I think that a new set of tires will be a must, I have the stock Potenzas, on a Silver Wagon.

Overall: It the coolest piece of engineering, bad [non-permissible content removed] car. Excuse my enthusiasms.
  • To answer who is going to buy these cars, here is what Subaru thinks:

Male 65%
    age 25-49 (many sub 25 guys have come in looking for them, but most don't have the $$$)
    income 60K+
    college educated
    active lifestyle
    probably own a sport sedan now.
  • klkrauseklkrause Posts: 96
    To be honest, I would have thought the male % to be even higher ... 80% or so. I guess I fit their target demographic, though ... funny how that works!
  • How do you think the wagon compares to the sedan? Also, please advice on the purchase price if you can. I'm from the Bay Area,CA, and debating on what to buy. Thanks.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Posts: 284
    Saw 6 today!

Oh boy are these sweet cars in person! SOOO much better than I expected, especially the interior! They still FEEL like an impreza on the inside, but the materials are 10x better! The cloth on the seats actually feels like Suede... Nice touch!

As for colors... I actually liked the Silver least in person. White was much better in person, same with rally blue. But Black was the sleekest and most impressive!

As for the Wagon vs. Sedan, the fender flares are really nice but the extra space in the wagon is equally as nice! whatever floats your boat :)
  • I asked Autobytel to give me a quote on a Wagon. The dealership called and said they would order one for me for $1000 over MSRP! Told the dealer (Shelor Motor Mile in SC VA) that I wouldn't pay $1000 over retail for ANY car! Anybody had any good experience? I've 30 - 60 days away from doing anything...
  • beanboybeanboy Posts: 442
    ...at the bottom end in terms of age, income and current vehicle. I'm not drooling as much as some people here though, =) Earliest I'll be seriously looking will be this time next year.

-Beanboy
This discussion has been closed.