Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• saintvipersaintviper Posts: 177
    I drove to CA and back from WI and the seats in my 02 were extremely comfortable for the whole trip. I'd seriously consider the seat swap.
  • 86regalt86regalt Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info. If you can say, where did you find the used seats. That sounds like a good possibilty for me to pursue.

I will say this much, Subaru was willing to do nothing except say they were sorry that the seats are uncomfortable. Of course they also said any modifications I make to the car will void the warranty. :mad:

I will keep you posted as to my progress. Thanks again!!
    Steve
  • yup, gotta admit, the old Solara's seats were much more comfy than my '05 WRX sedan; lumbar support bar did wonders. i ended up buying a lumbar support pillow - kind of a three panelled pillow only six inches high that conforms to the lower back area of the car seat. it pushes me forward too much initially - i hate driving with my knees - but eventually becomes unnoticeable.

i have been looking at Ebay for '02/'03 WRX seats - should i be looking at NASIOC for them?
  • andmoonandmoon Posts: 320
    I got tired of looking for a dealer that would just do what is listed in the manual so I did it myself. If you are in the NJ NY area you should contact Paisan. If I had known they do regular maintenance work I would have gone to them. (AZP)
    Well there always is the 60K and the big belt at 105K.

anyone ever find out how the valves are adjusted?
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Posts: 464
    I bought and sold my WRX seats on NASIOC, although I'm sure there are other alternatives. I handled both transactions locally (within 100 miles) to avoid shipping because those seats are heavy and very bulky -- which means expensive to ship.

Incidentally, Subaru CANNOT void your warranty just for changing the seats; that's illegal and they are required to honor the car's warranty. They can, however, decide not to warranty the different seats (ie: if you had a problem down the road with the airbags or seat tracks). For them to void you entire warranty, they would have to prove that the seat swap directly caused the part failure.

Brian
    Ah.... more good information. Thanks. :)

I will keep that in mind if I change the seats and have a warranty issue. I guess maybe they mean if the airbag system has a problem they won't fix it under warranty.

By the way, are the 02, 03 WRX seats an exact swap including the tracks and the electrical connector for the airbags??

Thanks,
    Steve
    Yes, they are an exact swap. The only thing to be aware of is the seatbelt buckles, which are attached to the seat base. If you sell your seats without removing those buckles and your next set doesn't have them, you'll have to buy them. I don't know if most people remove the buckle recepticles before shipping, but my seats did not have them and I had to bolt the 04 buckles to the 03 seat frame (same location on both seats).

B
    Sounds good. The extra info is good to have. I would not have thought about the seat buckles. I don't think I will sell my seats right away but may eventually.

I don't know if you'll know the answer to this one but I figured I'd ask. Are the wagon front seats, passenger and driver, the same as the sedan? I figure that they are. The back seats I am pretty sure are different since the wagon seat folds down.

Anyway I now have a possible solution other than getting a different car. Thanks again for all of the info!

Steve
    the sedan and wagon front seats are the same...the rears, however, are not interchangable since the wagon's fold down. This modification saved me from selling the car altogether. Nearly 100% of my driving involves highway stints of 2-3 hours at a time, and it was unbearable before the seat swap.

Happy shopping, I'm sure you'll be able to find a set near you!

Brian
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Posts: 340
    I haven't tried either of these , but, perhaps Subaru should follow Mitsubishi's lead with their EVO and offer Recaros, or maybe ask Saab for some help with the next Impreza's seats?
  • andmoonandmoon Posts: 320
    The recaros in the evos are imho, the worst recaros I have ever seen. My neighbors evo's seats started to delaminate.
    I have tried sitting in a 2005 Legacy Limited with the 8 way power seat and leather. That feels comfortable and I was thinking about trading in the WRX and eating some money but I may give the 2002/3 seats a try! Thanks to all for your feedback. :)

Steve
  • saintvipersaintviper Posts: 177
    I upgraded from a 2002 WRX to the Legacy GT Limited about a month ago. It may just be that my body conformed to the WRX seats, but I still don't think the Legacy seats for all their adjustment and power and leather are as comfortable as my WRX seats were. The WRX seats didn't look all that good IMO. The newer WRX and Legacy seats look alot better, but the old seats were comfortable.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    You probably miss the tighter bolsters. Those were some great seats, but I bet the new seats conform to bigger folks better.

-juice
    Hi Brian,

Looks like the 03 seats are the way to go. I have one more question I would like to ask you. Did you disconnect the battery or do anything special before you unplugged the air bag connectors. I have heard air bags can be touchy. Any info about your swap will be greatly appreciated!! I drove an 03 WRX today and the seat if much better so I am going to try it. Also thanks for directing me to the NASIOC web site.

Steve
    Yes, I did disconnect the battery, just in case. The airbag plugs were a little tricky to disconnect (requiring a series of hold-here-push-there antics) and there's an additional wire on the driver's side that tells the seatbelt light in the dash if you're belted or not, but it's otherwise very straightforward. Start-to-finish was 30 mintues. Oh, and watch the seat tracks when you pull the sets out or put the new ones in -- I put a deep scratch in my doorjamb from the sharp track as I put one of the seats in. :cry: I think you'll be impressed with the comfort of the 03 seats in comparison...my partner and I absolutely love them :D

Brian
  • cinosweivecinosweive Posts: 166
    Yes, those fantastic bolsters were just not designed for the average american physique, or for anyone else who has seen the inside of a gym within the past year. Once again, we have to settle for the dumbed-down version. :(
    fattened up! ;)

-juice
  • lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 PAPosts: 1,085
    I have a 2002 wagon and I love the seats; they are the most confortable of all the cars I've owned...my wife hates them, she is used to her 2001 legacy GT seats. Whenever we go to Disney World, it is a straight-thru 3-hour drive with no stops..no back-pain, leg pains, or cramps at all when we arrive
    Serge :shades:
  • cyluriancylurian Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 WRX and I have the same problem. I have taken my car for the same engine light problem 5 times now. The dealer tells me it is a mis fire on cyl 1. Have you fixed your issue?
  • cyluriancylurian Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 WRX. After a year driving, I have had my engine light turn on many times for 3 months. At first the dealer told me it was a misfire on cyl.1. But, I have taken the car to the dealer 5 times with this same issue. First they reset the computer, then they took a spark plug, then they changed the valve. One time they didn't do anything with it. I was wondering if anyone had the same issue? How many times to I have to get this serviced?
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    "Yes, those fantastic bolsters were just not designed for the average american physique, or for anyone else who has seen the inside of a gym within the past year."

Don't you mean "for anyone else who has NOT seen the inside of a gym within the past year."

Go to the gym, love the '02/03 seats! :shades:

BTW, the '02/03 seats are not as narrow as the 350Z seats (extremely narrow in the back, by the lower back rest)!
  • How common are head gasket problems with the 2.5L engine? I was thinking about getting one but this problem makes me leery. Is it an expensive fix? Could you do it yourself? Does it recur after fixing?

Thanks for your help.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    That was a problem that affected '99(?) to '01 or '02 models only. There was a TSB and the dealer adds some type of stop leak to the radiator.

It hasn't affected any (or many) models since then and didn't affect my decision to switch from a 2.0 WRX to a 2.5 FXT.

-Dennis
  • cinosweivecinosweive Posts: 166
    "Don't you mean "for anyone else who has NOT seen the inside of a gym within the past year." "

Whoops. I stand corrected.
    We haven't seen a large rate of HG failure from model year 2003 and on. They cover 99-02 under an 8/100 warranty if you use their conditioner.

A few 98s had problems and those were the only ones not covered. Mine has been just fine.

-juice
    I installed the 2003 Driver's Seat and it is much more comfortable. It is undetermined as of yet whether it will be good on long trips. It still notice some pain after about 45 minutes but I think I can change my position in the seat and have it go away.

I guess I'll play with it for a while because I like the performance and gas mileage. I still don't think the seats are as comfortable as my 84 GTI or 86 Regal T-Type. For comparison though, the Subaru will beat the T-Type in gas mileage and handling. Also it will beat the T in the 1/4 mile, but ONLY if it is raining or snowing! :)

To answer Kevin's observation, I go to the gym twice a week, I am 6'1" and weigh about 170 so the American syndrome has luckily not gotten to me yet. Certainly being too American (big) for the seat is not a problem for me. :)

Thanks to you all for your input and especially to Brian for his quick responses to my questions. The seats were a direct swap and no Airbag light problems were seen.

Steve
    I'm glad you are giving the new seats a shot -- I've really been happy with mine. Consider it a few hundred dollar experiment to keep you from having to sell the car and take a much larger loss!

B
  • searcherboysearcherboy Posts: 32
    Saw the following article posted on Sky News, a British news website. Competition between Mitsubishi and Sube in the UK must be very serious indeed if Subaru is willing to provide free retrofit performance upgrades to WRX/STI models - using Prodrive components, no less.

The article does not mention which model years qualify for the free upgrades, but the performance numbers cited are tantalizing. Go to:

http://www.sky.com/skynews/xml/article/0,,40000-214922,00.html

SB
  • searcherboysearcherboy Posts: 32
    Not a free retrofit available to all - it's a special offer, valid May 1 - July 31, for all new WRX/STI buyers in the UK.

Details on Subaru UK website:

http://www.subaru.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.