Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    has a 20% share of FHI, the company that owns Subaru.

-Brian
  • The guy that told me GM owned Subaru was wrong. They own part of Saab not Subaru. *Starts crying wildly* I hate Saabs want a Subie.
  • GM has, according to what I have read, a 25% stake in FHI (parent company of Subaru). There were plans to use a Subaru platform for a GM car/truck/suv, but I believe it has been scrapped.

GM owns Saab outright.

John
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    That's my XT6 :)

By the way all those snow pics were taken at an undisclosed location in upstate NY :) "Closed Track and Professional Drivers" or at least as close to that as possible. It is in a sand-pit that is not open to traffic and most, if not all the drivers were operating their vehicles in a professional manner :)

-mike
  • GM does not own "part of SAAB" - they own SAAB 100%. They used to own around 50% of SAAB a few years back but then exercised the option to purchase it outright, a couple of years back.

About Subaru, I thought GM owned 20% of the car company "Subaru" (subsidiary of FHI) and not FHI, which is a lot larger. FHI is a huge conglomerate that includes a lot of companies, including Subaru.

Later...AH
    Sorry, GM owns 22% of MORE (I think they picked up an extra 3% recently) of FHI which owns Subaru.

-mike
  • You are absolutely right ! I just checked and GM does own the stake in Fuji Heavy Inds (FHI) and not just Subaru.

Later...AH
  • I've owned my WRX wagon since Oct 2001. Today, it finally got its official "snow break-in," driving through the Long Island snow covered roads today. I told my wife that I plan on being a Subaru owner for life! My WRX stuck to the roads like the tires had fly paper on them. Of course, I drove responsibly through turns, and allowed adequate following distance for stopping. The ride was much better than any FWD vehicle I've ever driven in the snow. I had no trouble at all riding up my inclined driveway that was covered in about 1/2 foot of snow. Needless to say, I am quite please with how the WRX handled in the snow. I don't see any need to change from the stock Potenza tires, at least in my area (New York City/Long Island area).
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    wait till you have worn off more tread, then those RE92s will be awful in wet or snow! Had them on 3 previous Legacies and now the WRX, they are fine when relatively new and you got lots of tread but stink big time later which is why Bridgestone has replaced many models with UNI-T which isn't supposed to do this.
    Where are all the NYers coming out of hiding!!! You should come hang with the rest of us Scooby Nuts sometime, we are in LI often!

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Oh, is that Weasel? I thought it was U.S. rally team car. LOL!
    -Dennis
  • It was my subie's first "snow break-in". They were doing very good in 4" snow. I had no problem to drive up to the hill (25 degree) at 30MPH. Love it so much!

-luk
  • epp1epp1 Posts: 48
    but where's the snow?! Just swapped my P1s/Sumis for my OE rims with Nokian Hakkas. Dealer did it gratis and "got to keep" the RE92s. Hehe.

Cold as heck here in MN, but no real snow to speak of.

Hakkas add a little rumble and are of a fairly soft durometer. They get a somewhat squirrly on cold pavement if you try to corner too aggressively. Had me nearly sideways on my favorite daily on ramp entrance!

Planning on having "Santa" get me the Stage 0 kit as Vishnu finally has an authorized install center here in the Minneapple.

Nothing funnier than dusting some mullet sporting, IROC driving fella trying to win the holeshot for that next turn or on/off ramp in my lil' wagon with two bikes on top.

Even funnier than beating them is thinking about all the kind words their other brother Darryl is barking at them from the passenger seat.

--Sean
    Mullet Wearing + IROC doesn't seem right, at least where I am at. IROC + Spiked Up, Goomba is more what I associate with an IROC :)

-mike
  • I mean that I love my subie while the RE92s are not bad in snow. I will go for KDWS next time.
  • Hey Sean, I see your in Minneapolis...what dealer did you get your Subie from? Would you recommend them? I'm looking to get a wagon this spring...

Also, where's the Vishnu authorized installer?

Thanks!

-Jon
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    Every time I happen to pass a guy in a BMW 3-series, he all of a sudden gets the urge to speed up and pass me. I am not into racing so I let the guy go, but man. You would figure some of these guys would have their egos in check!

Sorry, jut griping. It has been a long day.
  • mgp1mgp1 Posts: 2
    I'm considering getting a wrx. Is anyone on this message board driving the wrx in really hot and muggy weather? I'm just curious how the turbo engine will last in the heat. Thanks.
  • mikenkmikenk Posts: 281
    I live in Dallas, which is certainly hot enough. I have no problems in the summer; the cooling system kept the temp guage at the same point it does in the winter. I assume that is what you are asking.

Mike
  • mgp1mgp1 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to justify upgrading to a wrx if I live in very warm/dry weather. We'll see if the dealer I'm working with now gives me the invoice price he promised.
This discussion has been closed.