Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• Do you have 02 or 03?
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    High rpms are not a real problem when shifting while the car is moving. At least the gears and the wheels are spinning at that point. It's only really an issue in a launch situation, and it's worse in AWD since it's so hard to spin a wheel. If the clutch doesn't slip and the wheels don't slip, the metal in between absorbs the shock and it's bad news. Shafts can twist a little and recover, but gears are not made for abuse.

I think we all have botched up a shift, but that's gentle compared to what some people do on purpose!

Craig
  • Looks like there are too many people like these, though... Guys with Toyotas and Hondas don't complain too much though - and those cars take a lot of abuse too.
    I have an 03, but it's only got about 750 gentle miles on it at this point, so I really can't vouch that the 03s are any better or worse than the 02s. But, the mechanical/engineering fixes Subaru made should correct the problems, so I wasn't worried about getting an 03. In fact, I was kind of impressed to read about the fixes -- usually, this sort of technical detail doesn't trickle out to the public.

Craig
  • himilerhimiler Posts: 1,209
    Very true. Maybe it's just the case that the clocks run faster at VW.
  • "impressed to read about the fixes" - where can you read about them or view the specs?
    Outside of the S2000 and possibly the previous generation Prelude (which I owned), I don't think there is a vehicle in Honda's fleet that even comes close to the WRX (I will leave the NSX out of this, since we wouldn't be driving and talking about WRXs if we could afford an NSX), certainly not one with AWD . RSX-S is in the same market, but I test drove one while car-shopping, and it felt like a cream-puff. Not sure that transmission would hold up to abuse either (it did shift quite exquisitely, however). My Prelude had a great transmission, and I have no complaints, but I know other people who had tranny problems with the exact same car.

I don't really pay attention to Toyota sports cars, so I can't comment on that, but my neighbor's son went through a clutch on his Celica in about 8000 miles. He whales on that poor car, unfortunately.

Craig
    I'm pretty sure I read about them on the NASIOC forums. Check it out, and I will also try to locate the info.

Craig
  • sensei1sensei1 Posts: 196
    Struts @ 65k or sooner is about right if you have a sporty ride and care. I've got a Corolla that just broke 63k and it's a little cushy but I can live with it. I had an RX7 that I had the OEM struts changed to Konis @ around 30k. Yup they're not cheap. My minivan had OEMs till I got rid of it w/ 135k on it.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Congrats Mark. Tell us all about it live tonight at the chat (9pm EST).

Prodrive packages but no factory warranty? Why? Those guys have worked with Subaru for ages.

The 2003 got a revised clutch, one with a force limiting valve. The blown trannies were basically on modified cars with 250+hp, and mostly 2002s as well. In fact in one thread on NASIOC about blown trannies, ALL of them were 2002s. These guys were speed-shifting 2nd gear and shredding the gears. Duh.

Don't blame Subaru - when you do mods, you have to keep the car balanced. 250hp or more and you should have already budgeted a new clutch. Much more than that and you may as well start with an STi.

-juice
  • corkfishcorkfish Posts: 537
    I hate leaving Nissan. I've beaten the tar out of my 1993 SE-R and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble. Nonetheless, AWD and great performance at a reasonable price has made Subaru my first choice ( even if it means more repairs and maintenance).
    Good. Seriously. So what if you require 1 or 2 more visits to the dealer, what price can you put on fun?

Even then, you might not require those visits. And you also might get the know the dealer better if you buy a post Carlos "le cost cutter" Ghosn Nissan, they're not what they used to be IMO.

-juice
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    There was an article in Car and Driver about a modified WRX, where they took an '02, modified the engine, put a bigger turbo and intercooler on it, to the point where they were getting aroud 330 HP.

They did not change out the clutch, because according to the modifying company - "The clutch can take the extra power with no problem!"

Their modification was $13,000 added onto a WRX, so if the clutch needed to be replaced, with that type of pricing, you would think they would.
  • ppekppek Posts: 58
    I agree that the life of your clutch is directly related to how much you abuse it. I can guarantee that those who have blown the clutches on their WRX’s have really abused them. Some kids think it’s cool to smoke your wheels, but that is extremely difficult on an AWD car and the tranny takes the abuse and not your tires.

My previous car was an AWD Eagle Talon turbo, and I never had to replace the clutch (sold it at 120,000 miles). While I never raced it, I did a lot of stop light-to-stop light sprints and my driving was very spirited (often took it up to the redline).

Since I drive my WRX the same way, I have no fears that my clutch will enjoy a long life. I do have the minor complaints about it being tough to get into reverse and that it doesn’t like to drop to 1st unless I’m almost stopped (both of which I didn’t experience in my Talon). However, these are minor gripes and the tranny is worlds better than the Talon’s (shorter throws, better engagement, etc.).

Take care,

Paul
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I am always amazed when people do upgrades to their power items, and then wonder why other parts fail. If you are going to upgrade your engine to put out more power, you need to upgrade all the items that go along with it, such as the tranny/cooling/etc. etc.

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    Just to say that I didn't actually "blow a strut", but it was a loose strut mount in both cases.
    I wish we could edit at anytime like vBulletin.

-Dennis
    AllWheelsSmokin = NewTrannyShoppin

Nobody but himself to blame.

Even a new clutch might not be a solution - that only puts more stress on the tranny. Getting hardened gears for the tranny puts extra stress on the diffys and on the drive- and half-shafts.

You gotta build it from ground up with a power target in mind. Or, like I said, just wait for an STi!

-juice
  • It looks like subs are getting better - as the sports cars, now with STI and the other blown 350bhp 6H impreza (here is my car coming) in the pipeline, and Legacy, but the price $45G's - these BMW beater will beat "the Germans" (just watched "Snatch", love the movie) in price too; with going over 30G's subaru is greatly risking to lose the loyal younger generation crowd. shouldn forget what happened to Z300. volume matters too.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    Y'get what y'pay for, y'know. If the Legacy were a car with a big sloppy V8 you would still have the 350 hp (like the new GTO) but it would only be $35k. They don't price cars high just for profit or just to be obnoxious but to recover R&D and all the other costs associated with a new model, especially one with Very High Performance standards.

JW
    I hope Subaru learend their lesson with the VDC MSRP, it was too high and sales to this day are slow because of it. The press had a field day with as-tested prices in the mid-30s.

Subaru would be smart to offer that kind of power for under $40k. S4 and M3 have moved well up to near $50k prices so there is room below, but the Subaru does have to come in at a significant advantage else risk being a tiny volume niche car.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.