Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• bluesubiebluesubie Posts: 3,497
    My first ride in a Rex was in NYC Friday evening traffic. Off-boost it's perfect putting around in a 2.0L car. Then we hit a side street and I felt the turbo kick in. Whoa!

You control the turbo, not let it control you. :-)

Dennis
  • bedabibedabi Posts: 149
    The brakes on my WRX do feel mushy. But I'll deal.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That's typical, it's the dual stage booster. Press lightly and it only slows you down a little. Press hard and they both kick in and provide a quick stop. You get used to it.

If you just can't, then there are aftermarket boosters available. That plus plenty of pads and different brake fluids.

-juice
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Posts: 861
    First, it's panache, not pinache. Second, since the 2.5RS is visually identical to the WRX (right down to the rims), you'll not likely get many stares in the WRX, either (once the hype of it being a brand new car wears off).

In Denver, I can get a loaded A4 1.8T for about $27k or a WRX for $25k (sticker), so at least here, the difference is only about $2k, not $4k. And for $25k, I most certainly do expect a nice interior.
    But you've admitted that you're not willing to shop around much. Numerous friends (at this point) have acquired WRXs and not one paid $25k.

-juice
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    Yes, I'm seriously considering a silver 2.5RS five-speed sedan with the added foglamps. The salesman said the same thing about the brakes - he mentioned the dual stage booster and longer travel as being typical of Subaru braking systems. Only trouble is, there are no 2.5RS cars in my area, and the dealer didn't have a clue as to when they'd see them. No problem, I'm in no rush.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Posts: 861
    I've called all the dealers in my area. They are all at MSRP. No, I'm not willing to drive 100 miles or more for a car. I would drive around the city, but they're all at MSRP. And if you're familiar with Colorado at all, there's not much within 100 (or even 300) miles of Denver.
  • bonamanbonaman Posts: 1
    Last December my wife parked her Ford Ranger on a back road outside a friend's home. The local town snowplow ended that truck's short life. By then neither she nor I wanted another pick-up. We live in Western New York and this winter has been terrible. We both were tired of skidding around. Shortly before the truck was demolished, I turned onto the expressway and thought, gosh this is a dumb vehicle for this part of the world. Neither of us was unhappy that we had to find another car. Since we had inherited her Dad's Cadillac, this time it was my turn to choose the vehicle.

I looked through the magazines and decided that an all-wheel drive would be best. The car that had the market on AWD was the Subaru, although some recommended a VW Passat. The only problem is that Subarus are very under-powered. Some said try the new 6, but the price Subaru put on that engine is criminal. I began to learn of the WRX and the more I read, the more I liked it.

I found this Town Hall page and began to hang around this site, learning a great deal about a great auto. Last week, my wife said, let's go and take a look for your dream car. I downloaded the information from Van Bortel in Rochester before going to visit a dealer closer to home. I had called ahead and found that he had a WRX on the lot unsold.

When my wife and I arrived, he gave me the keys and told me to take it for a spin. I couldn't believe it. I have never had a car dealer let me go out alone, and I was well aware of your cautions about reving it up too much. My wife loved the car and I was thrilled. She said let's get this one. I said, no way there's been a bunch of idiots driving this ahead of us and I don't know what they have done with the engine.

We went back to the showroom and after the typical sparing about the car, the salesman asked me if I were interested. I told him I was, but I didn't have time to BS about price. I handed him the Van Bortel prices and asked him if he could beat them. He literally gulped, and remarked about the dealers on the West and East Coasts who mark up the MSRP and still sell Subarus. "She has ruined our market." He admitted. I told him that I believed that his dealership could sell a car for what they could, but I am only going to pay the least I have to pay. He said wait a minute while he checked with his manager. An eternity later, he said that they would order me a new car at the Van Bortel price. I said thanks, but no thanks. My business was going to be with Van Bortel.

When I got home, I got on line and placed a purchase order with Van Bortel in Rochester. The next day I got a call confirming my order. The sales person told me that they already had 61 orders ahead of mine, but my WRX would be available in late June. I told her that was OK. She went over the other options I had chosen, but never tried to sell me more. She said that she was going to enclose some brochures about extra warranty, etc., but I was free to take them or not. This is the way all new autos should be sold.

She said I would have to sign the purchase order and return it to her. I said something about a down payment, and she said none was necessary. The dealer just had to prove to Subaru that another person had ordered a WRX from them.

OK, so now I am anxious. It will get harder and harder to wait as the days go by. But at least I should have it in time for summer.

Thanks for your insights, they were the insurance I needed to proceed on the Internet. I'll keep reading your messages and add some more of my own.

All the best--
  • sploowsploow Posts: 1
    Hey, I am also from western new york. Which dealer was willing to match the Van Bortel's price? I am willing to go with Van Bortel's price without the hassle of going out to Rochester. Thanks for your help.
  • oyoungoyoung Posts: 10
    Sorry for the delay in writing, but I've been having so much fun!

Picked up a red 5-spd wagon on Sat. Must admit that, while I have been trying to be nice to the car, it is just too darn difficult! Now that I've read i'm supposed to be under 4k rpms for the first 1k miles, i will try, but no guarantees!

Rather than repeat what everyone else has said, suffice it to say that performance wise it is a blast! For someone who asked, I did test drive an automatic and found it boring. Serves its purpose, but just not as much fun.

I will say that backing up is taking some getting used to. I had great visibility in my Golf, but find there's a lot of head rest and C-pillars to deal with. Plus, it's a bit wider. Then again, if that's the extent of my complaints, so be it!

Had to pay sticker but got a fair trade-in for my VW. More importantnly, I was able to get my car within one week! For those in the area interested, I went to Colonial Subaru in Danbury, CT. Chris DiBicarri was my salesman. These guys have no clue what they have on their hands. Meaning, they are all very nice, but they've been selling Outbacks to yuppie moms and grand parents in this area. Give them a few months, though....

They had a loaded yellow sedan in the showroom. Perfect for Easter season!

Well, I'm off for lunch. No idea where I'm going, but I really don't think it matters!

Only 700 more miles to go! Can't promise to keep it under 4k rpms, but I will try! Must admit that i did break 100 on Saturday (105 to be exact). Very stable. A bit of wind noise, but I just turned the radio louder! Then again, at 100 whaddaya expect? :)

Later, all!
    Oliver
    bonaman: did you look at the LL Bean? The VDC is high-priced, but the main attraction is the stability control system, which the VW 4Motion does not offer.

The LL Bean is closer to the 4Motion and actually costs less with the same equipment.

-juice
  • lcd1lcd1 Posts: 147
    From the spec, the interior noise level at various speeds seems high. Does anyone know of a effective way to reduce the noise? A quieter car makes less tiring long-distance trips.

LCD
    #1 would be the tires. Some all-season treads can be noisy. Check the tirerack surveys for a quiet tire.

Then insulation. You could add undercoating yourself - it comes in a spray can. In the wheel wells might help, but it adds weight and may not look great.

You can also get insulation for the doors and fire wall from a stereo shop like Crutchfield.

IMHO, the WRX is very quiet, tame even. If you think it's loud, you're probably buying the wrong car.

I think C&D had it making a 70 decibel racket on the highway, but that's better than the Infiniti I30t (71dB) or the tuner Mustang they tested (96dB or so IIRC). The best one they tested all year was the Lexus LX470 at 67dB, not much better than the WRX.

-juice

-juice
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    Actually 67 dB is much better than 70.
    Even 1 dB makes quite a difference on that scale.
    OK, but that was from their 10Best issue, so the Lexus was the only vehicle that registered that low. 70dB is pretty typical, even for a family sedan. It's really not bad.

Heck, for that kind of money, you could hire a personal assistant to sit in the back seat and hold your ears closed!

-juice
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    Uh, wrong about the decibels there vadp. 1 dB difference is hardly discernable to the human ear. It takes 10 dB for the human ear to perceive it as "twice" as loud.

So 67dB versus 70dB is not a very big deal and in all probability tires have a large impact on it.

-Colin
    I thought every 3dB was double the noise...

Audiophiles?

-juice
  • soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Posts: 137
    WHAT DID YOU SAY ?????????
  • locke2clocke2c Posts: 5,038
    You're 'talking' to one, juice. To increase output by 3dB requires twice the power. Increasing the apparent noise by 2x (to the average human ear) requires an increase of 10dB.

-Colin
    ps subscriptions are now working again, woohoo!
    Ah, gotcha.

The bottom line is the WRX is very quiet. It idles quietly. A lot of current i Clubbers say it's too tame!

-juice
This discussion has been closed.