Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Get the 2.5 and turbo it :)

-mike
  • 1subydown1togo1subydown1togo Member Posts: 348
    Here is a link to a short but nice WRX review on the Car Connection

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4148&sid=184&n=157
  • wannawrxwannawrx Member Posts: 22
    Here in California where every honda and acura get stolen it is actually cheaper then the mentioned cars. I have a 95 Integra and a new wrx willo be $65 more every six months but cheaper by $60 than a new type-s. If gas keeps going up we all will be in a hurt.
  • rex_ruthorrex_ruthor Member Posts: 140
    I think Im only paying $615 a year for full coverage.
  • cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    That's pretty low. I guess we may be comparing apples and oranges? What kind of policy do you carry? I have a full 100/300k policy.
  • ramiller1ramiller1 Member Posts: 124
    2 of the 3 testers voted the Scoobie best, but collectively they liked the S4 60% better? Man, now that is what you call some pretty creative math. It's going to be good reading the letters to the editor on this one.

If 2 out of 3 liked the WRX best, it should have come in first or at least tied for first, IMO, no questions asked.

The third guy no doubt saw what a great value the Rex was and probably sabotaged the ratings so he could beat the rush down to the dealer to put his own order in. :)

At least the C&D guys got it right when they said the Subie was "pure joy" to drive. Amen to that!
  • taos2taos2 Member Posts: 31
    Does anyone have experience with what is the
    optimal/best pressure for the stock tires
    on the road. The recommended numbers on the
    door jam seem rather low.

Thanks
    I've been to a few Subaru dealerships. They've all given the same story: That the WRX is selling like crazy, and don't expect them to move on price... except the lots always had a bunch of them sitting there. One dealer had a WRX with hundreds of miles. The salesman complained that young guys just come out for joy rides w/ no intention of buying and then leave.

One dealer finally said he'd give it to me for $600 over invoice, but then tried to f' me on the other end with a bad price on my trade, so I walked.

I also did some 'net inquiries to different dealers, and just received a "no haggle" quote of $700 over invoice for the WRX...

This seems like the time to buy...

I still haven't purchased the WRX, because I am worried about gas prices and insurance. They could easily skyrocket out of control... especially insurance, if the new WRX owners start getting into a lot of accidents. I also feel a little vulnerable in such a little car, given all the soccer moms who are driving around in 5000 pound Chevy Suburbans while putting on their makeup and talking on the cellphone...
    You must have like $1000 deductible or live in east middle of no where.

-mike
  • wannawrxwannawrx Member Posts: 22
    What are you guys thoughts on the spoiler? No real benefit, just looks. and it is only extra weight. I am torn on the looks and whether it is a cleaner look w/o it. It seems all the magazines like cars w/o spoilers when they dont serve a real purpose.

I am putting my order in soon and shooting for 300-500 over invoice. Sounds like 500 is doable.Wish me luck.

And the noise i did notice alittle when i test drove it and it seemed to come from the back more as in road noise. sound deadening material from car stereo places would help in the trunk area which has none.
    It does add a slight bit of resistence in the rear, but is essentially not useful. I like the way it looks with it, but didn't like the big on on the old coupes.

-mike
  • pfifferpfiffer Member Posts: 47
    Consider yourself lucky that you have the choice - here in Canada all WRX's come with a spoiler - no choice! Personally, I like the car better without the spoiler - gives it more of the stealth effect and let's the line running from the rear quarter of the car down the side become more the focal point than the spoiler - but it is truly a personal thing!
  • swindsor3swindsor3 Member Posts: 1
    I am 24 and married and I pay 535 every 6 months... I have a 250 ded and 100/300/100 and rental coverage.
  • mrsamplemrsample Member Posts: 6
    That paints more of an attractive picture 700 hundred over. I wonder if we are going to see an overall price drop? I wonder if Subaru dealers do that often. from my limited experience folks at Toyota and Honda dont dip below and stay at standard pricing. Im kind of squeamish paying out big bucks for anything. The car is awesome it is just the idea of getting that money and waving bye to it and the advent of owning a car worth more than 7 thousand is something this low buck guy has never done. I mentally drool at the idea of owning a WRX. I look at this forum daily like a 9 year old boy anticipating his first new bicycle. Its always been used super practical vehicles for me. with the exception of a motorcycle twice in my life
    Like yourself, I have been a pretty boring vehicle guy the last 10 years of my life, 2 mini-vans, two Honda products - earlier in my life though 2 motorcycles. I've had my REX for 5 weeks now and I can tell you it has re-kindled my driving fire more than I could imagine. Take a leap, you will not be dissappointed. As my frugal 82-year-old mother-in-law always says, "I've never regretted my extravagences, only my economies".
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    mrsample. I have had a wrx wagon for 3 months. the only downside is $ because of the premium fuel, higher registration cost and insurance (I traded in a 98 Forester which was a cheap insure). It is as much fun to drive as everyone is saying. It is also fun to get the "what's that" stares from people. Best thing about the car is how refined it is for everyday driving. The seats are comfortable, the interior quiet, the stereo sounds good, the cruise is rock solid on a given speed and the power windows, locks and remote keyless are nice. I love it for the daily commute because it is so easy to drive and I am looking forward to taking a long vaction to Colorado next summer in it. That is the side that is not brought out, what a good daily ride it is. Plus being the wagon there is an extra measure of practicallity.
    TWRX
  • soobydoosoobydoo Member Posts: 2
    $600, $700 over invoice? How much is invoice?
    Now may not be the time to own a sports car that guzzles premium gas...
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    the WRX doesn't exactly guzzle gas! That would be the territory of full size SUV's and P/U's!!

Stephen
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    Buyers in the Northeast might want to consider Van Bortel Subaru. It may be worth the trip to get one at $22,266. This is for the MT sedan that lists for $23,995 and invoices at 21,997 according to Edmunds. The $525 destination charge and tax are extra. This about $300 over invoice. Van Bortel's normal policy on all Subarus is $400 over invoice, leading me to suspect that the Edmunds invoice figure may be wrong. Anyway, if you order one, it should arrive in time for a nice trip home during Fall foliage season.

see http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com

• nschulman3nschulman3 Member Posts: 125
    I live in NJ and traveled 315 miles to get my wrx sedan. I paid 23,352 with security upgrade, armrest extension, air filtration. I ordered the car by phone (no deposit required) and got it in 6 weeks-August 3rd). I was out of the dealer and on my way back to New Jersey in 1 and a half hours. Saved myself nearly 2,000 and the people were great. Ask for Theresa or Diane and tell them Neil from Northern NJ sent you. Believe me the'll remember since they were so happy to have someone drive 5 hours to get a car there. By the way, my sedona red wrx is great!
    No, full coverage. 100/300/50 policy. $500 ded on collision, $120 on comp.

Live in the Bay Area. Im 30, one point. Wife has no points.

I do have the multi car and homeowner policy discount though. With Farmers. Pretty decent rate I suppose. I havent shopped around or anything.
  • thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    From Automotive News - Europe

"Subaru will give a European debut to the long-awaited Impreza WRX STi. The high-performance, 265hp model features a heavily modified, turbocharged engine with active valve control, new six-speed gearbox and large 17-inch Brembo brakes. The car comes fitted with big 225/45 tires on gold-spoked alloy wheels, uprated suspension and front and rear Suretrac limited-slip differentials.

Two versions of will be available in Europe from January 2002: A standard STi and a special edition Prodrive Style modified by the British race-engineering company responsible for Subaru's world rally cars.

The STi is aimed at enthusiasts and is even equipped with a cooling switch that sprays the intercooler with water. The Prodrive Style features a massive high-riding rear spoiler, newly designed sill spoilers and a deeper, squarer front bumper.

Also on the Subaru stand will be a four-door pickup concept based on the Outback."

Anybody want to take a trip to London soon ?
    - Hutch
    Check out the following web page - this version of the STi is indicated at 276 hp - this seems more likely given that the US version is 228 hp, I'm sure SOA would need at least another 50hp to attract buyers into that price range and compete with the new Audi S4 which will push 300+hp.

http://www.fantasycars.com/sedans/html/wrxnewsti.html
  • hersbirdhersbird Member Posts: 323
    Just fanned through the most current issue of Road and Track (I think, it may have been something else) The tested the WRX -vs- the S4 -vs- the BMW awd. The subaru won the 0-60 and the 1/4 mile drag race over the S4. I think they got a 14.1 for the WRX and a 14.2 for the S4. Pretty awesome. They said overall the S4 won but they contest the results as 2 of 3 reviewers though it was the best but the 3rd guy picked it last to push the S4 over the top.

So what's the best 1/4 mile run from a stock automatic WRX so far? My brother's got one that with a good powerbrake will launch pretty good under boost but the nearest drag stip is 3 1/2 hours drive from here.
    You're right...it was something else: Car and Driver, Oct. issue. Pretty impressive comparison results all around, IMHO

Stephen
  • bruticusbruticus Member Posts: 229
    As it stands there will be no energy problems. The supply is steady, and should remain so as long as the Middle East remains quiet. I honestly don't think OPEC would even dream of messing with the supply for the next few months.

I am reminded (stupidly enough, maybe) of the episode of "West Wing" in which the Chief-of-Staff character outlines a plan for military deployments etc, and says "make sure we're sending a clear signal." An aide asks what kind of signal, and the CoS answers "don't screw with us right now."

In the coming months, gas prices may fluctuate along with general economic trends. However (and when I first thought of this I was disgusted with myself, so feel free to express your own disgust with me) if you have a steady job, the next 6 months may be a good time to remortgage, refinance, or buy a car. Interest rates will remain low and manufacturers & banks will likely be anxious for customers.

DjB
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    At 20/27, the WRX is impressively economical, at least if you don't have lead feet.

In fact, look at the as-quick alternatives and you'll buy a WRX for sure.

-juice
    the EPA figures for the WRX are a bit optimistic, especially the city figures. Even w/a feather foot, a tank full of stop and go city driving will only net about 19mpg and that's w/6076 miles on the odometer. I am averaging about 18mpg because I like to accelerate more than some, especially w/this rocket. The worst city mileage I ever got was early on and completely crazy w/the right foot, 15.63mpg. The best I got was a hair over 19mpg. The best highway figure (well 90% hwy) has been 24.5 mpg. I'm hoping some of these figures improve as I get more mpg on the odometer. Heck, even if it doesn't I don't mind because I'm having way too much fun!

BTW, Juice welcome back and reliefed that you and yours are safe. Same goes for Mike! I had some friends flying back from Europe on Tues and I wasn't sure if they were in the air or had changed planes in Boston or D.C. I got an email from them today and they are holed-up in Denmark.

Stephen
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    The dealer that wouldn't budge off MSRP about two weeks ago called me yesterday afternoon - all of the sudden, he said they'd be willing to give me a better price and more money for my trade. I said, "this wouldn't have anything to do with the fact we're likely to go to war, and all your cars are going to rust on the lot, would it?" He denied that, and I basically told him to go screw himself. I think my paid for vehicle looks better all the time.
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    I usually get 18 mpg in the city with my WRX wagon 5 speed. Best is 19. About 24 on highway with worst 22 and best 25.

TWRX
    Can you imagine what your mileage would be in a slower car trying to keep up with your WRX, though? :-)

I'm a bit paranoid right now because we had sharks at the Outer Banks and this mess near my work in DC.

-juice
  • wrangellboywrangellboy Member Posts: 3
    I found this review on MSN's canadian site. Just thought it would be useful for those who are as addicted as I am to reading anything they can about the WRX!

carpoint.ca
    Think of it this way.

Regardless of what mileage figures the manufacturer or magazines quote, regardless of what mileage figures you think you will get when you drive a WRX in economy mode, it is unlikely you will ever see those numbers in real time.

You buy a WRX because it is the best $25K fun around - which means you will often have your right foot planted to the floor - which means you will likely make more trips to the pump than you really want to.

As for great fuel economy - try the Honda or Toyota hybrid products. Grandma will love them.
    i might be getting 16mpg, because i cant stay out of the boost...too much fun. Besides, Im constantly winding out second and third on the freeway on ramps, and nailing first from a 5mph crawl in order to get into holes in traffic. its impossible for me to really just cruise at a constant speed (legal speeds are used in the EPA tests, not the frantic start and go that comprise most bay area commutes) Like when you just want to get into the left lane and everone is driving within 1-2 mph of each other, the only way to get in is to hang back with the revs up so when you get a little window you can nail it and slide over before the guy behind you does the same, or the pathetically slow left lane hogs see that you want to get over and suddenly turn into Mario Andretti to keep you from getting in their lane, which they were using at all of 58 mph on the freeway.
    Hybrids - yes, Gramps would be proud!

-juice
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Friday Night, September 14, at 7:00 p.m., in your time zone, step out of your door, stop your car, or step out of your establishment and light a candle. We will show the world that Americans are strong and united together against terrorism. Please pass this to everyone on your e-mail list. We need to reach everyone across the United States quickly.

fowler3
  • kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    Don't forget to light your candle at 7:00 PM. I just got my new Car and Driver and they mentioned that the STi was coming in 2002 as a 2003 model. I can't wait to see this car. I'm sure it will again be the best performance buy for the money.
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Late 2002 or 2003
  • mrsamplemrsample Member Posts: 6
    a direct quote from Car & Driver: "WRX STI, should arrive late next year or early 2003". So we can hurry up and wait! hey where is my candle? outside I go!!!!!!!!
  • strider98strider98 Member Posts: 89
    I am hoping to buy a WRX in the next mo. or 2, but if it's not going to be the best one they make, what's the use? I might as well wait until the STi comes out next year. Anybody know what the diff is going to be? (besides hp of course) Also what kind of aftermarket gear can be put on the reg WRX to get it anywhere close to the STi? Also did they list a price? This would be a great help, since this is going to be my first car purchase.
    why wait? Its not so much a question of what to put on, as what to take off. Remove the power-robbing cats, get an intake and drop in air filter, and you're at 265hp. Add a chip and MBC which basically "removes" the detuning that SOA did to the WRX, you can get to 300. Without swapping out the stock fuel injectors and turbo, 300 is about the practical limit of the current WRX. However, thats good for STI like performance with little sacrifice in driveability. Dont forget suspension....17 or 18's, coilover suspension, camber kit, at least better brake pads, you're hanging with the skylines and STI's.
  • strider98strider98 Member Posts: 89
    i guess the warranty would be screwed after that. But who cares after 36k? I'll probably go through that much driving in 2yrs. Thanks Rex.
    If you wait infinitely long, you can get and infinitely fast car. Just like comptuers.

-mike
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Warranty aside, the crank, rods, etc in the STI are all forged. MUCH more heavy duty block and components designed to handle additional pressure from a larger turbo. Removing cats would be a big plus in the WRX ( the car would probably still pass emissions testing!), but in Connecticut, you can be fined $10,000 for doing it. The inspectors at emissions testing centers are given a "reward" for any car they catch that has been monkeyed with in such a way. You also have to remember that significant modifications to the car will kill resale value. You might as well put a sign on it that says "this car has been driven hard and probably abused".The computer analogy is a good one. Nonetheless, I'm waiting too. I'd be pretty pissed off if I paid $23,500 for a WRX now and next July you can buy a base STI for $27,000 or $28,000.
    First off Mike is absolutely right. Cars are a lot like computers, there's always something better coming out. With that said, one of the biggest differences that the STI will have and the WRX doesn't is the Subaru designed and manufactured 6spd transmission. As far as HP in the WRX, it is true as posted that it's quite easy and not too expensive (relative term, I know) to get the same and more HP than the STI will have stateside. I will probably be going w/the COBB Stage1 kit which includes the APS chip, turbo-back exhaust (this incls a free flow cat), Blow off valve, water spray system for intercooler, silicone hoses, etc. This is good for 280hp. Independent tests per COBB have shown a 5spd sedan doing 0-60 in 4.6 secs and the 1/4 mile in 13.3 secs. The cost for this is $2600. Of course one could also get something like the TurboXS stage1 kit for about $1050 which includes the exhaust and chip good for about 265hp. The TurboXS is a plug and play chip w/the option of having them tune it specifically for one's car w/one's individual mods. It comes already w/a "mapping" for the mods included w/the kit or the stock WRX. COBB will have the same option w/their Stage1 kit soon. Currently the COBB system is only sold as a certified installer system but one also gets their kit tuned specifically to their WRX. Even a stock WRX can differ from another ever so slightly.

As far as the factory cats, the Feds don't allow replacement unless they are damaged. Now how did the screwdriver go through that cat??? :-)

In WA State they have stopped testing emissions on cars less than 4 years old. Additionally, when one gets their AWD vehicle emission tested w/the wheels on a dyno of sorts, they need to be sure that it's a AWD dyno and not the normal 2wheel version or damage could result. I've heard that because of this some States exempt AWD/4WD vehicles from emission testing when involving a dyno. Just something to think about or investigate. :-)

Stephen
    Don't worry about at $27K or $28K pricetag for an STi, likely won't happen. Subaru of Australia shows their STi carrying a 40% price premium over the base WRX. A U.S. STi will likely be at least $29.9K if not higher. That's the bad news, the good news is that the Ausis also have a STi 22B available to them - no price listed. Could we be that lucky?
  • kroliphkroliph Member Posts: 75
    I think if Subaru can bring the STi to the states for under $30,000 it is still a pretty good deal. What other car can you buy for 30k that will deliver that kind of performance from the factory with a warranty!!!? I'm saving my money for the STi. BMW M5, 0-60 4.8 sec. TMV $80,000. Subaru WRX STi, 0-60 4.8 sec. estimated price $30,000. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I know allot of things I could do with $50,000 (like pay my house off)!!
    If (when) the STi is imported, the only true competitor will likely be the new Audi S4, which should come in at around 300 hp and $40,000. With that in mind, the STi is still a huge bargain by $10,000 - that is unless you care for the $10,000 of extra high-end Audi internals and more refined ride.

Ed
This discussion has been closed.