Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Impreza WRX

Comments

• If you're willing to travel to Kensington (just north of White Flint Mall near DC), you can get a WRX for $1000 over invoice from Fitzgerald Auto Mall. It's a no haggle dealer, so you won't be able to push them, except perhaps on the trade-in. I bought from Huntley who was easy-going. He was knowledgeable and asked others when he didn't know the answer. They still had some in stock, according to their website: http://www.fitzmalls.com/

They won't let you test drive a manual, so if you'll either have to go with the auto or test drive it somewhere else. I got a white manual wagon off the showroom floor with six miles, so I like their no manual test drive policy.

There's a dealer in Fairfax, VA where I read people were getting a better deal (I think I read it on http://www.clubwrx.net).

• barresa62barresa62 Posts: 1,379
    more like a couple of hundred bucks since the one WRX doesn't have the upgraded stereo which is at least $250. No, I wouldn't quibble, it just depends if the extra distance is worth getting a car w/an option you may or may not want and whether waiting is a big issue for you.

I ordered my WRX wagon from a local dealer in Seattle @ MSRP (& free oil changes for life of ownership), got $20,000 trade-in on my 00'OB Ltd wagon w/auto and 12k miles, and waited 6weeks for delivery. I am more than happy w/both deal and car. Don't let a couple of hundred dollars make the WRX buying experience anymore difficult than it needs to be. I mean the sooner you get the WRX, the sooner you can get past your 1000 mile break-in and have some REAL FUN! :-)

Good Luck,
    Stephen
  • bruticusbruticus Posts: 229
    Actually, if you're going to email MartyG at World, I'd suggest NOT telling him you've already had a quote of $XX, and then see if the price he returns is better/worse than what you were quoted previously. It sounds deceptive, but if MartyG gives you a lower price and he gets the sale, it helps justify the "internet pricing" deal (and helps ensure that I'll be able to get a good deal when I'm ready to buy!)

DjB
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,613
    I'm with Bruticus on this one. As far as I'm concerned, the internet pricing should be what it is. Who knows if that's true or not. I really would like to see Marty's response to you with nothing more than an inquiry (no names, no previous quotes, etc.). Just email as if you are talking to them for the first time. If it helps, my email went something like "I am purchasing a WRX sedan 5-spd w/ these options .... I am taking quotes from several dealers today and will buy according to the best price."

Also, I'm not sure if you can, I think it may require it, but I'd avoid telling them where you are coming from. According to salespeople, they are usually giving you a price because they "want to earn your business". If they know that you are so far away that you probably wouldn't be coming back unless you had to, that might account for the high price. Just a thought.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• phatride01phatride01 Posts: 23
    Just curious, but I put my order in for a wagon, 5 spd, silver, with elect. mirror, armrest, diff. protector, the rubber cargo protector, upgraded security system.

I am not sure what one would generally pay for this, but as it turns out, I will be paying about 24.5 for it. I also got a deal on a rental car (for free from the dealer) till the wrx comes in. It may take a week or so for the car to come in, so I figure at about 30 bucks a day, for 7-10 days, that's about 200-300 bucks.

All in all, I think that that is a fair deal, and I am psyched to be receiving the car shortly. I did take a test drive in the wagon, with auto (not my choice, of course), and it seems like a nice car to drive. Also, I did not really "test" the vehicle to it's full potential, as I am not one of those people that kill the car within the test drive, with hopes that the person who does buy the test vehicle doesn't get screwed.

All I was wondering is whether I got a fair deal, or whether the dealer got the best of me. In either case, the deal is done, and I have no idea what finance rate I am getting yet, but I am sure it will be according to market rate (approx. 6%) over 60 months.

All in all, I am happy with my decision, and can't wait to get the car. It felt nice, for the whole mile and a half that I drove it. That's what I can say, at this point.

Another question...anyone have any idea how the car performs when the A/C is turned on? I noticed that it takes a little bit of time to take off, once the A/C compressor is being used? I guess I will have to wait and see, as the V6 that I have now does not seem to hesitate once the air is on. Nonetheless, I know it's a four cylinder car, with tons of go go go power, and that should be well worth it.

Happy driving to all those that have the car already. I just think that the wagon seems to have more "character" than the sedan. Just my opinion, though! Enjoy!

phatride01
  • philwang66philwang66 Posts: 60
    I'm not sure whether you got a great deal or not. A 5spd wagon with the options you mentioned is $24215 and destination is $525. If the price you're paying ($24.5K) include tax and dest, then I'd say you got a pretty great deal. Otherwise, it's an OK deal if you include the free rental.

Could you have done better if you shopped around? Possibly... Ultimately, if you're happy with with the car and you bought it at price you can live with - I'd say enjoy your car!
  • bafflegasbafflegas Posts: 8
    This topic has come up before. Regardless, my girlfriend's 2001 Civic had 4 kms on it.
  • zerosenzerosen Posts: 2
    Got my Blue Pearl WRX today, its great to be PART of the club instead of a bystander. It is a different sensation to drive one of these. They live up to all the hype.
  • 56355635 Posts: 11
    I just resold my WRX. The other day some guy came to my door and after seeing my WRX in my driveway, he actually offered to buy it from me because all the dealers he visited are out. Well at first i laughed in his face, but before the day was over he bought it for just over $6000 more then i paid. I cant believe it. Now that i have that added $6000 what do you guys suggest i do with it? Im thinking go by another one, and with $6000 worth of aftermarket parts, i would be able to blow anyone away. To say the least, i am very excited about these possibilities.
  • kostamojen2kostamojen2 Posts: 284
    You ripped him off! Thats just not right...
  • pattim3pattim3 Posts: 533
    congrats on the purchase! Welcome to the club.

Patti
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    A fool and his money will soon part. If he wanted it that badly and pushed for you to sell, well, love is blind.

That's a pretty good budget for mods!

-juice
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    Bill Kolb Subaru (845-398-6323) is advertising a special price on the 17" BBS wheels mounted and balanced with Pirelli 215/45-ZR17 tires -- $1777.00 for the set of four. See the 06/18 issue of AutoWeek.
    Sounds a lot better than $3k without the rubber.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,710
    There must be a whole lot of mark up on those BBS wheels!

Bob
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    And that surprises you how?

--Frank P.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,710
    by degree. It surprises me that they think they can get that much mark up. But as PT Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every minute." More power to them if they can get it.

Maybe this dealer bought a bunch of these wheels anticipating a strong demand, and then got stuck with them, and is now trying to unload them??

Bob
    the same BBS wheels then the $1777 price especially w/tires is a steal compared to the $3000 Subaru is asking for wheels alone...read "no tires included"!

Stephen
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    ... witness the guy (above) who paid $6K on top of what someone else paid to get his hands on a used car. That kind of money buys a VERY nice, low mileage E36 M3. The AutoWeek ad says the BBS wheels they have are "made for Subaru", so maybe these are the real deal.
    I figure that's about $300 per rim, $125 per tire, and the rest for mouting/balancing.

It's at least down to earth, if not a bargain.

-juice
  • shan888shan888 Posts: 4
    the BBS rims with tires around 1700-1800 is called RK or RC,it is one piece. it is made for wrx only,It is different than the dealer rim sells for 3000, you can get that rim from all different stores, they all sell around 1800 with tire package,they are light weight, but not as strong as other.The news already came out 2 month ago at newyork auto show.
  • Shan got it backwards..The rims Bill Kolb is selling are the RKs. The dealer optional wheels are the RX, which are forged
  • corkfishcorkfish Posts: 537
    As far as upgrading a WRX, better check with the dealership, I've talked to mechanics on this and they all seem to say that if you monkey with it, you fix it. Chips that give 17 lbs of boost? That's about what the STI is running and contrary to rumours going around suggesting that it's the same engine as the WRX, running that kind of pressure will damage the motor ( the STI engine is NOT just a WRX engine with a larger turbo strapped on!). I don't think dealers will be to sympathetic to people who bring their cars in with all kinds of aftermarket parts. Personally, I would'nt want to jeapordize my warranty.
  • kturner1kturner1 Posts: 33
    Help. I have a serious WRX problem. A few months ago I drove one. I fretted and fussed and ended up getting a Legacy L which I really like. The L has more room, the beauty of all wheel drive, was less money, will save me many tickets, scoots OK, handles like a dream etc. The problem is I "was in the neighborhood" of our dealer today and they have a blue WRX sedan in. I want it too. Really bad. I wouldn't trade the L, I would just get the WRX for fun. Please post something that will bring me to my senses.
  • gaspasser2gaspasser2 Posts: 44
    Work hard, love everyone, and treat yourself with something that you really want. You can really have it all if you want it bad enough. That's the best I can do. Good luck.
  • varigvarig Posts: 99
    2 questions:
    1. Has anyone had experience driving the WRX in snow/ice conditions. If so how did it handle. What tires did the car have (all season, snow, or sport)

2. Saw a posting that had a link to the i-club thread of WRX owners complaining about engine problems, especially warning lights displaying not very long after purchase. Anyone had similar problems with engine?
    My nice side: your L is a fantastic value, a well kept secret, and should be practical and affordable to run for years to come. It'll hold its value well and likely be reliable, plus the utility from its size is hard to beat. Even your mother-in-law would approve.

My evil side: don't be a wimp, you can afford a giant-killer, so get a Rex!

;-)

-juice
    There was a bad batch of CEL sensors fairly early on. This has happened w/other Subaru models as well. It's a supplier issue.

As far as aftermarket parts go, one has to be somewhat sensible. The parts themselves will not affect one's warranty unless the dealership can prove they were responsible for causing whatever broke that is normally covered under warranty. The burden of proof is on the dealership. So, to say the aftermarket parts will void one's warranty is not accurate.

Stephen
    WRX wagon w/3625 miles and no problems
  • thecatthecat Posts: 528
    Varig,
    I can't address your question about snow/ice handling, I've only had mine since early April and the weather in the N.E. hasn't provided that experience yet. However, based upon my experiences with a Forester, I would expect the WRX to do quite well. Actually it has a Limited Slip Differential, which my Forester does not, so it should do even better. Tires are the determining factor in how well your Soob will do in the snow. The Geolanders on the Forester, like the R-92's on the WRX, are known to be an inferior "snow tire" but I've managed quite well.

As far as the C.E.L. issue with the WRX .. it's much to do about nothing. Mine has been back to the dealer, computer pulled and sent back to SOA for reprograming and replaced. Took 2 days. The problem is that false errors are being reported and setting off the CEL. The car continued to run fine, didn't overheat, no flames anywhere, radiation levels remained constant :) SOA has the cure and is addressing the problem. (which really isn't much of a problem) You'll be having so much fun driving this thing, you would regret letting some minor glitch be a factor in your decission.
    - hutch
This discussion has been closed.