Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why America stopped driving

Comments

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,119
    I agree with you on your second point, although generators and alterators both generate a current. Is that what GM or Delco may have been thinking when they decided to use gen?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    Both are correct but I much prefer gauge too. Wish I could get "gage" out of my spell-checker.

"The spelling variants gauge and gage have existed since the first recorded uses in Middle English, though in American English gage is found exclusively in technical uses" (Dictionary.com).
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    I'm sure you remember the blue "COLD" light.
    "Gage" was the dark-haired guy on "Emergency." The other guy was:

edited June 2011
    lol, don't remember that. Good strong character name.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    The other dude's name was "Fireflite?" :P
    The show "Emergency" did have a Mopar connection via the 1972 Dodge Rescue 51 truck:

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,914
    Automatics can help those with physical limitations - but most who rely on them don't have any. I am saying this as an automatic driver. I could get by with a stick in a pinch, but how many could do likewise? You'd see a lot less phone yapping and eating while driving without it.

Yeah, a buzzer for lane departure would bug me too. When I drove BMWs with that feature, I turned it off, even the vibrating was annoying.
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    Yeah, a buzzer for lane departure would bug me too. When I drove BMWs with that feature, I turned it off, even the vibrating was annoying.

Our new CX-7 is equipped with a blind spot indicator - a little warning light built into the side mirror illuminates when there is a vehicle in your blind spot.

After driving the car for several months, there are a couple of issues that I don't like about it, both related to the fact that there is a warning chime when you use the turn signals while there is something that triggers BLIS:

1) If there is a retaining wall or hedgerow on your right, using your right turn signal will trigger the warning chime.

2) When passing slower traffic on the interstate, I have a habit of flicking on my turn signal just as I finish passing the car or truck. On our recent road trip, apparently I do this a bit too soon for BLIS and trigger the warning chime. Irritates my wife to no end, as she thinks I'm going to change lanes right there and then. I'm having to relearn the timing of the use of my turn signals until the BLIS light is out.
  • txtoyotatxtoyota Posts: 3
    A new car costs so much money, probably an average of $26,000. My 2000 Toyota Avalon with bench front seat (they don't make them like that anymore) has 190,000 miles on it. No Detroit machine (used to be huge Chevy fan/customer, then tried a Ford) got near 100,000 miles on it for me without starting to have major problems by the 60,000 mile mark. Now I think I'd like to drive this Avalon till the wheels go square (like my Dad says) and save that car note money. Now I'm wondering how many miles I can put on this thing. I would rather have an iPad. I would rather use the $26,000 to put down on a vacation home.
    habit of flicking on my turn signal just as I finish passing the car or truck

My sister is worse, she'll start signaling to change lanes back to the right about as soon as she gets into the passing lane to pass someone. Drives me crazy.

Definitely going to recommend she look at a CX-7 when she goes car shopping again. :D
  • berriberri Posts: 4,004
    The show "Emergency" did have a Mopar connection via the 1972 Dodge Rescue 51 truck

There was a precursor to this in the late 50's called "Rescue 8" that also took place in LA and featured a much better looking (IMHO) period Chevy Suburban.
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    A Ford Focus for 25K in this economy? Hello rebates. :shades:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,451
    It sounds like some kind of personalized feminine hygiene product.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,451
    If I lived in a large NYC or Chicago, I probably would rather have a iPad.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    I'm sure that any $25K Focus is so loaded up that it would be any techno-geek's wet dream. FWIW, they start around $16,500, and I'm sure most of 'em will probably sticker for $20K or less.

But, I can understand the sentiment. With inflation and price creep, and all the features on cars these days, some of these prices do seem extreme. Kinda reminds me of a time back in 1993 though, when I went into a Dodge dealer and they had this new Intrepid ES on the showroom floor, pretty much fully-loaded, and my first thought was good lord, $25K for a DODGE?!
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    But, I can understand the sentiment. With inflation and price creep, and all the features on cars these days, some of these prices do seem extreme. Kinda reminds me of a time back in 1993 though, when I went into a Dodge dealer and they had this new Intrepid ES on the showroom floor, pretty much fully-loaded, and my first thought was good lord, $25K for a DODGE?!

I had the same thought back in 1983 when I was at a BMW dealer in Phoenix - at the time 3-series were going for something like $15K and I thought that was all the money in the world for a starving college student like myself.
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 14,489
    edited June 2011
    the taxes a car owner operator WANTS to pay !!! Most folks will have a vague to DEFINITE feeling that almost all aspects automotive, costs way too much: but, .... really don't know why. So for example, (this is only ONE line item of taxation) the spot cost (06/02/2011) of ULSD #2 is $3.086 per gal. CA/Fed exacts 85.2 cents per gal or 27.6% !!!!!!!!!!!! Those same government/s VILIFIES/VILIFY the oil companys for making 8%.They even make the oil companies collect the government's portion. As you can see, the governments make 345% MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?????????

eia.gov

But the ultimate irony is the so called "environmental" element of electronics, I.E. IPOD's, etc. How "environmental can it be when EVERY piece of consumer electronics" is literally obsolute as soon as the transaction clears the credit card approval/debit!!??
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,005
    edited June 2011
    Our fuel taxes are a bargain compared to what they pay in Europe, and a pittance compared to the actual economic impact our current consumption will have if/when oil production decreases significantly.

On the consumer electronic and car payment issue, I ordered a new iMac tonight to replace the one I've had for about 2 years. That one will go to my office and the one from my office will be sold to someone who will get several more years of use out of it. I've been a computer nut since I was a kid, and am still involved in the field, so I can justify keeping current equipment.

One thing that I do differently from many people is that I don't hoard. What comes in also goes out. I have one cell phone, one GPS, one portable computer, one desktop at home, one at work, etc... If I replace my cell phone, I sell, donate, or recycle the old one.
    edited June 2011
    Hm, I like building my own computers. The current one must be four years old now and it really, really needs a big honking SSD and you can't put new tech in an old box, right? ;) I used to cycle through a new PC once a year, at least, and consulted on the side just to get the pro deals.

Maybe if I offer to replace my mother-in-law's dog of an eMachine with this one, my wife will go for the idea. She used to sign up for university classes just so I could use her internet account back in the day (so far back, the browser was text only Lynx), so she's usually pretty tolerant when I start jonesing. My last fix was three months ago getting her an iPad.

Funny I keep cars forever. But near the top of the must have list when I finally go shop for a new one is going to be a USB port on the dash. Two or more power ports up front would be nice; one for the Garmin and one for the mp3 player. And having all the digital readouts on the dash is fun too; the dash in a Buick rental a couple of years ago got a workout, going from miles to empty to miles traveled to average mph to average mpg, etc. Fun stuff.