Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fiesta Real World MPG

Comments

• phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    Automatic Transmission, Cruise Control, Power Moonroof, Alloy Wheels, and "NO" SFE Package!
    I believe so, but check www.ford.com for specifics.
    Well I assure you, the Fuel Economy that I Posted in regards to (my) 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback with automatic transmission of 33 mpg city and 41 mpg highway were with the A/C on as you say, "Full Blast". Living here in South Florida, having the A/C on, in (not) an option!
    I can`t speak for the 2012 model Ford Fiesta, but in regards to the 2011 model, the only difference between the SFE and the non-SFE Fiesta`s were the ugly steel wheels and covers vs the optional Alloy Wheels and the upgrade to the allegedly "Low Rolling Resistance Tires". All the other item you mentioned were included and put on (all) Fiesta models regardless of Trim: S, SE, SEL, and SES. The Speed/Cruise Control was available in one of the (upgrade convenience packages). The Underbody shields and Blockers on the lower grill were (included) as standard equipment on (all) 2011 Ford Fiesta`s. I know that the 2012 Ford Focus has very different specifications on its SFE Package, but I doubt that it applies to the 2012 Ford Fiesta. IMO, you will never reclaim the costs of purchasing the SFE Package, even if you gain the extra 1 mpg. The 2012 Kia Rio5 has an extra cost Idle/Stop/Go Eco Package that is supposed to provide an extra 1 mpg fuel savings too. For the extra cost of that feature, once again, you will never get back in savings, the initial expense.
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    ".....The Underbody shields and Blockers on the lower grill were (included) as standard equipment on (all) 2011 Ford Fiesta`s...."

That is not true at all. Go to your Ford dealer and crawl under a 2011 SFE and you will see a bunch of plastic panels covering many parts of the undercarriage that are not on your Fiesta or mine (SE) for that matter. Then look at the lower part of the SFE's grill and you will see blockers that, again, are not on our cars.

I do agree with you though, that it is not worth the money for the SFE package. A person would likely never recoup the cost.
    First of all, I`d have to search out every Ford dealer within a 500 mile radius to possibly find either a 2011 or 2012 Ford Fiesta that has the SFE Package. Secondly, I pre-ordered (my) 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback in Mar of 2010. I took delivery of it in July of 2010. At the Miami International Auto Show in the (fall) of 2009, I spoke to a Ford Factory Rep and asked about the SFE option with the "pre-production" model they had on display. He told me that the only difference on the 2011 Fiesta with or without the SFE Package was the specific steel wheels and wheel covers and the low rolling resistance tires, period! When I ordered (my) vehicle in Mar of 2010, the Salesman had the pre-order specification and price manuel of every option and it concurred exactly what the Factory Spokesperson told me at the Auto Show. Maybe in later production models they (may) have added some small trim detail change and it indeed may be different on the 2012 Ford Fiesta`s being built today, however when the "first" production models were being assembled, the SFE contained only the steel wheels and the different tires. I do agree with you that regardless if now both the 2012 Ford Fiesta and the 2012 Ford Focus (do) have some cosmetic changes that apply to the SFE Option, whatever it is will never return its initial cost. That`s a Fact!
    Here is a link showing the actual underbody panels that the SFE has. The link also has a complete list of components to complete the SFE package. Ford was originally going to include the aluminum wheels and spare for the SFE package but found they did not need the weight savings to achieve the 40 mpg advertised. So about mid year (2010) they switched back to steel wheels with hub caps and a standard spare and also lowered the price of the package to reflect the downgrade.

http://www.fiestafaction.com/forums/eco-fiesta-driver/33720-sfe-underbody-panels- .html
    Well as they say, "Pictures (usually) don`t lie". I guess that as usual, early production vehicles, (such as mine) are subject to different equipment and modification changes which the Manufacturer always prints as a disclaimer. Funny, I was told that my "early-pre-order" 2011 Fiesta would have a delayed "late delivery date" due to the fact that I specified the Power Moonroof option. Guess what, my vehicle was one of the first Fiestas that the Car Carrier dropped off at my Dealer, go figure? The bottom line is that for the added price that Ford charges for the SFE Package and the estimated 1 or 2 mpg gained, to either order that option, purchase the parts afterwards or remove the spare tire and jack assembly kit from the trunk that weights less then a bag of groceries is pure folly and madness, IMO. Glad I stand corrected, (but) I know that in fact, the specifications of the optional SFE Package (did) change sometime after the Fiesta was launched. Thanks for providing that very informative link!
  • Is this MPG figures from the trip computer or via the odometer ?

Many vary greatly, also check the odometer by driving 10 miles down an interstate hwy and compare the Mile Markers to the Odometer reading.

Mine was off 3% [optimistic] I do not have a trip computer BTW
  • From what I've read the 6-sp "Auto" transmission is really a Manual gearbox with a dual-clutch setup controlled electronically.

This is probably why users are having odd shifting patterns..

My question is to the dealer, "How much will it cost to replace this dual-clutch setup ?

More than likely it will be cheaper to own over the long haul than a true Automatic.

just my $0.02 worth [ as a hopefully soon to be a 2012 Fiesta owner]

DrVette
  • dbdadbda Posts: 9
    I get 33 MPGs when i drive in traffic. Recently I brought my fiesta in to the dealer and complained about the jerky transmission. The dealer reset the transmission. It got a little better, but it still jerks around at slow speeds.
  • I test drove a 2012 Accent SE yesterday and it was a nice ride. Hyundai is proud of it and I almost bought it. Luckily I researched it here on Edmund's and noticed that the insurance was higher on the true cost to own so I called my insurance agent and sure enough it was 80% higher than a Fiesta SE. I am picking up my new Fiesta tomorrow. I got the SE hatch 5 speed manual. I found the Ford dealer was honest and I have no comment on the Hyundai dealer :mad:
    edited December 2011
    Not sure what State or Province you live in or why it should make any difference but I find it very odd that the costs of insuring either a new Hyundai Accent or a comparable Ford Fiesta would be much different. I own both a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback with automatic transmission and also recently purchased a new 2012 Kia Rio5 Hatchback, a vehicle (very) similar in cost and design as its sibling twin, the Hyundai Accent Hatchback. My automobile insurance (does not) reflect much difference in cost with both vehicles having the identical coverage.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    I found that large discrepancy between two similar vehicles odd too...but it also changes from insurance company to insurance company.

A few years ago when comparing similar cars I found that VW's were the cheapest to insure; when I asked one of the agents they said because of the favorable crash tests (at the time it was a VW CC).

But...the difference wasn't 80% :) maybe $100 for the year.
  • I have a 17 year old driver so that might be the difference. When I asked my agent why the Fiesta was $380 a year and the Accent was $680 a year he told me that he was not sure but guessed it was the crash ratings. I looked up the crash ratings and the Fiesta is a IIHS top pick for its class. It has good across the board. The Accent has good for the most part but only an acceptable on side impact. I am guessing that is the difference. $300.00 a year is not a lot to some people but over the next 10 years that will be a nice vacation.
    I'm just surprised you can get the Fiesta insured for only $380 a year with a 17 year old driver.

I'm 46 with no tickets and accidents on my record and pay about $700 a year. And that's with a $1250 deductible.
    I totally agree with iamz. Where in the hell do you live where you can insure a brand new vehicle, be it a 2012 Ford Fiesta or a Honda 50cc Moped Scooter with or without a 17 year old driver with Full coverage including liability, property damage, comprehensive, without a $5000 deductible, for only $3000 @ year. Wanna share the name of your insurance company? You can`t be located anywhere near a metro city. As far as the safety ratings go on the 2012 Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio5, they received "top" ratings recently with the european equivalent of our NHTSA and Insurance Institute rating that perform staged car crashes here in North America. The only significant safety feature difference that I`m aware of is the Ford Fiesta has an extra airbag installed to protect the passengers knees upon impact that the Accent and Rio does`nt have.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Did you mean for a 6 month policy? $31 per month sure sounds appealing no matter what age the insured :)

That rate (for me, not a 17 year old) sounds about right for a 6 month policy...

I pay approx $400 for each of my vehicles for a 6 month policy...
  • I live in Cincinnati and remember the Fiesta/Accent was the 3rd car on the insurance policy. I am paying $1500.00 a year for the first 2 cars one of which is a 2004 Caviler that only has liability on it. So when I called to add the Fiesta or Accent is when I got the $380 fiesta additional or the $680 Accent additional. I do love my insurance company. I do not know if I am allowed to say names on this forum? but they have been great to me and a heck of a lot cheaper than the company that is on your side ;) Bottom line is call your agent to see what kind of rate you will get before purchasing.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    edited December 2011
    iamz: Why are you so angry? Look at the crash data here http://www.cars.com/hyundai/accent/2012/safety-ratings/ It gets a bunch of acceptable score including a final grade of acceptable on side impact. As far as my insurance bill I just bought the Fiesta for me (48 year old) so it made my total bill go from $1500 to $1880.00 a year. My son drives the 04 cavalier with liability only. My insurance company is Donegle insurance. Look them up they have been great to me.