Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fiesta Real World MPG

123457»

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    So you have never known a manufacturer to design something to fail.... nicely out of warranty?

I presume that the expectation is that most owners will refuel before pump temps get excessive enough that it will fail within warranty periods.

Even low fuel lights are conservatively triggered to come on with tons of warning. Many cars can go well over 60 miles or more before running out. So with 2 or 3 gallons still sloshing around is probably still a reasonable heat sink.

Excessive heat is the enemy in so many aspects of different components, whether they be electronics, metallurgy, tires, oil, batteries and everything in between. Many items are designed with a duty cycle..( a simple transformer based soldering gun for example, or an inexpensive oil less air compressor) and rely on cooling periods between use in order to not self-destruct.
  • phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    So sorry, and I certainly apologize for upsetting you with my sarcastic remark. Perhaps readers appreciate elaborate scientific data in regards to everyday driving conditions. I will remain mute and add no further comment to this thread as I promised I would do the same after being expelled from the Kia Rio5 one as well for hurting another Posters feelings. Cheers
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    Quite true. I rarely fill my vehicles up before a quarter tank, and I've run them up to 220,000 miles without fuel pump issues, so I very much doubt that this would ever be a problem unless someone routinely ran their tanks dry.

I had a fuel pump fail on one vehicle at about 215,000 miles, but someone else owned it for the first 170,000, so I can't reasonably attribute that failure to anything other than statistical chance.

That aside, I'm quite happy with the FE on my '11 Fiesta 5-speed. Even at -30F or colder on a full tank driving around town, I still haven't dipped lower than upper 20s. I'm expecting my average after a year to be somewhere close to 35 mpg, but I still have seven months to go before I hit a year.....
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    It seems that the Fiesta really does deliver good fuel economy be it with the stick or DCT. Ford seems to have gotten all the criteria to ensure the claims (exceeding actually in most cases from what I've read) just right, be it through gearing, weight, aerodynamics etc.
    That surely seems to be the case. I've been pleased with every aspect of it save for the lack of ability to turn the traction control off (I'll remedy that this summer) and the squeaky brakes.
  • navy92960navy92960 Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    I just traded in my 2012 Fiesta SE hatchback (automatic) with 27,000 miles on it. 24,000 miles were 5% city, 45% highway, and 50% stuck in HEAVY DC beltway traffic. Over that time I averaged around 34 mpg while not trying, but I could get over 40 if I really tried on a lighter traffic day. I think my record was a 43 mile trip to work getting 46mpg - I had around 300 miles on the car at that point, and I love to use the A/C.

The last 3,000 miles were mostly puttering (slightly aggressively) around town, and I averaged 27-30 mpg.

That said, all of this was based off the computer readings, which I routinely found to be optimistic by 1 to 2 mpg.

Now I'm driving a 2.0L 2013 Escape AWD averaging 19 mpg - nicer to drive all around, but I'll miss the gas mileage! As for the dual clutch transmission in the Fiesta, I hated it. You explain the theory of relativity to a 2nd grader in the time it took between putting your foot down and the car actually accelerating.
    I can't disagree on the dual clutch automatic - I really didn't care for it, either. Good FE, though! Better than I tend to get out of my manual.

As for the FE computer, it is absolutely spot-on. There's a fair bit of variation from tank to tank looking at calculated vs. computer, but that has to do with variability in the filling process. I record every fill and the "MPG" readout at every fill, and when averaged (even on just a monthly basis), both are within two hundredths the same.
    I was one of the early Ford Fiesta "Pioneers" and pre-ordered my 2011 Fiesta SE Hatchback on 03/03/2010. I took delivery on 07/24/2010. I believe mine was the first one with the Power Moonroof that was delivered in South FL. Just over 30K driven so far and no a single problem or issue. From day 1 consistent 33-35 mpg city and 41-43 mpg highway with A/C always engaged. I`ve decided to trade this vehicle in this coming summer for a 2014 Ford C-MAX SE Hybrid. My local Ford Dealer informed me that the 2014 Order Book opens in mid May and Scheduling for production starts in mid June and actual Production JOB 1 Date beginning on July 8th. After 3 years in my gas sipping Fiesta, I`m a committed Ford Buyer now and feel the C-MAX Hybrid is my best option. I would have kept the Ford Fiesta and traded in my 2012 Kia Rio5 instead due to its very (poor) fuel economy but it still has the remaining 5 years and 60 K Bumper to Bumper Warranty and the Fiesta`s will end this July. Rather then purchase an extended Ford ESP Service Protection Plan for $1300, I`ll put those funds towards the purchase of the 2014 C-Max instead.
    PS: Ford has had a "Computer Patch" to resolve most of the jerkiness of its Dual -Clutch Automatic Transmission for sometime now. Be forewarned, once they reprogram, it (cannot) be brought back to its original default settings and there goes your exception Fuel Economy and gas milage.
    edited April 2013
    Glad to hear you have had such good luck with your Fiesta, Phill! Mine is also an early build car (May 2010), came with every bell/whistle available at the time except the roof, and is pretty reliable. I'm having some electrical issues, which I will have the dealership address later this month or next.

As funny as it sounds, my biggest annoyance with it is the loss of the "triple-tap" turn signal feature! When I first bought the car, I was amazed at the brilliance of such a seemingly mundane feature (especially when driving my other car, which does not have this feature). Alas, two weeks ago, it suddenly quit working and now is the same as every other "modern" (e.g., >=1990) car I've owned.

I keep trying to convince myself to keep it rather than selling to buy a Fiesta ST. :blush:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    I'm pretty sure the single/triple tap is programmable through the 'settings'.
    Oh, I'll take a look at that, then. Maybe I can get it back! If so, it does beg the question of why it stopped working in the first place....
    Single/Triple Tap? Did`nt know I had that feature? What does it do? Control Directional Signals? 33 months and 30K driven and (zero) problems with my Fiesta. Planning on trading it in for a 2014 Ford C-MAX Hybrid when the order book finally opens.
    Basically, you touch the turn signal (as for a lane change, where you press the signal stalk a little, but not enough to lock it on), and it will blink three times rather than just once. If I wanted to do that with my Forester (or even with my Fiesta as it now stands), I would have to hold the stalk in that position for the duration of the blinks before releasing it.

With "triple tap," as I call it, I press it briefly and the signal blinks three times on its own.

Of course, I forgot to explore the settings yesterday, but I'll make more of an effort to remember today.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    edited August 2013
    2011 SES. 407 miles , DTE reads 88, fuel average readout 42.4.
    Temp was between 70 and 80 and ran the A/C the whole time.
    I'm going to some local driving before I fill it up.
    Just traded in my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback with 31400. Bought a 2013 Ford SE C-MAX Hybrid. Hope my Fuel Economy is as good as the Fiesta. Next time you need to do a Car Rental, try getting a 2012/2013 KIa Rio or Hyundai Accent. You will then appreciate your Ford Fiesta even more when you average 23-25 mpg city and 31-33 mpg highway!
    31400! I think I have nearly that exact same mileage on my 2011 SES hatch (5MT) as of today! It's scary to think that it had less than 14,000 on it when I bought it on 8/23 last year.

Sometimes I wish it wasn't so much fun to drive; I'm sure I would get at least a couple miles per gallon more out of it! As it is, I tend to get 39-40 in highway driving (70 mph), and generally average 36-37 in local driving during the summer months. Even during the winter, it won't dip under 30 unless the temps are colder than -40F, and those temps really butcher any car's fuel economy.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2012-14 Ford Fiesta, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 13, 2013, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, December 11, for a copy of the survey.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

123457»