Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cars That Gained Or Lost Respect With Time

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    To say nothing of all the debris that could get clogged in that ignition lock, making Saab mechanics everywhere healthier and happier.

I think in the case of Saab and Volvo in the 80s, people confused "rugged" with "well-put-together". The two are not synonymous.

• martianmartian Posts: 220
    Years ago, I was reading some auto guy's memoirs (possibly Lee Iococca), and he was relating how the then chairman of Chrysler went for a test ride in the new Chysler Valiant (with the tank-inspired torsion bar suspension). He then drove a Ford Falcon, which had springs in front and leaf springs in the rear-and then commented how much better the "old" Ford design was than the Chysler.
    I guess the Chrysler engineering bigshots had to keep their mouths shut on that occasion!
    The later Falconss were pretty good cars-my cousin inherited his Mom's wagon -that thing seemed to run forever.
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    So you don't think the Volvo's from the '80s were put together that well, eh?
    edited December 2010
    No, I don't. Volvo did great welding but really bad gluing and snap-fits and paintwork, and I think the cows they used for their leather were radioactive. You drive an 80s Volvo on a bumpy road and it sounds like an Venice beach percussion band in there.

• jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    I still have yet to see any Volvo 240 from about 1982-1991 that has its original paint in shiny, tip-top condition. Even the two 240s I used to have ('84 and '86) had badly faded factory paint jobs and they were almost 20 years old to boot.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,849
    I always sorta looked at the Volvo 240 as a Swedish Dodge Dart. Heck, they both date back to the 1960's! Even though the 240 came out in 1974 or 1975, wasn't it really just a heavy modification of the old 140 or whatever they called it, rather than a ground-up new car?

But basically they're both simple, maybe a bit rough around the edges, and that type of ruggedness where yeah they might squeak, rattle, and leak with age, but they'll keep chugging (and smoking) along for years after many lesser cars had been retired. And theyr'e both pretty space-efficient, as well.
    I'll tell you my "Volvo Theory". The makers of Volvo secretly wanted to build an American car all their lives but, residing in Europe, they had to disguise it somewhat.

I'm not sure how they managed to surgically remove the Joy of Driving out of a car, but the 240 did that somehow. What you got was a rugged metal box that puttered along, and refused to die. I guess they sort of "paced themselves" by avoiding any kind of excitement. It was, in that twisted sense, one of the first cars to "conserve energy" by not wasting in on the driver.

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    edited December 2010
    Andre's right; it is a Swedish Dodge Dart!
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,120
    The father of a girl I dated years ago had two Volvo 240s - a 1986 model and a 1989 model.
    The mere fact that parents picked these cars to give to their children tells you all you need to know.

An elderly lady drive into a local mall today in a nice, clean white Volvo 740, with cream leather interior. and parked a couple of spaces from my car. I took the opportunity to complement her car. She thanked me, and commented that it's old, and her children have been urging her to trade it for a new car.

Since she appeared to welcome the chance to chat briefly about her car, I learned that her 740 is a 1988 with 170,000 miles. Since this car was very well maintained cosmetically (don't know mechanically, but it was quiet and didn't smoke) I asked if it's been high maintenance, and she responded "no."

I know very little about Volvo 740s, other than the fact that the V6 that came in some of them was troublesome. How does the 4 cylinder 740/940 compare with the 240, in terms of reliability and durability? Is this woman just lucky?

Incidentally, I like the styling of the 940 better than the 740. The rear styling from the C-pillar just appeals to me more, in a similar way that I prefer the rear styling of the '53 GM cars over the '52s.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,599
    A few years ago, against my advise, I sold a Volvo S-80 to a young gal that just HAD to have it. Her mother was an employee at our store at the time and I warned her too.

This gal will no longer speak to me. From what I hear everything failed on that car like a string of firecrackers and she lost thousands of dollars.
    No opinions on the last of the RWD Volvos?

If the 240 is the Swedish Dodge Dart, then what are the 740 and 940? The Swedish Olds, Buick or Chrysler maybe, in terms of the North American market?
    When I was a kid, I had a couple of PV 544's. Oh, I loved those tough little cars and I wish I could find another one!
    That woman was SOOOOOO lucky I'd go find her and ask her for her favorite lottery numbers.

I love 544s. It's one of the greatest cars of all time. Simple, tough, fun to drive, reliable as a rock, easy to fix, easy to hot-rod, funky friendly styling. I almost pulled the trigger on one some months back but decided it was just a little too rough for me.

For a few years, Volvo used a V-6 engine that was a total POS. They were so bad that if one got traded in the Volvo Dealers would wholesale them.

I know some Peugeots used the same engine.
    Yeah, me too.

Back in the day, they were the same price as a VW and SO much better of a car.

I looked at one too a couple of years ago but it was too rusty.
    Wasn't that the same woof-woof engine they put in the Delorean? We all know how great that worked out.

Sometimes with old cars one has to separate the person's LOVE for the old car, from its actual reliability, when you here anecdotal evidence. Also, you keep a car 20 years, you don't add up what you've spent--it could shock you.

• texasestexases Posts: 5,511
    I've read a few horror stories from 740/940 owners, with the general impression they're money pits. But 3rd hand info...
This discussion has been closed.