Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Progression of Chrysler

124»

Comments

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 5,135

@berri said: So Fiat and Chrysler are now one. How many years do you give it until the Finance types spin the two off again?

I don't think it will happen. Unlike the MB/C "merger of equals" back in '98, this time the two companies will unite products. We're already seeing it with the Dart and 200. The euro-inspired vans are already here as well.

We'll see more of the same going forward. North America profits will fund future product development - at least, that's the plan.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,993

The Mercedes ML and Jeep Grand Cherokee share the same platform. Not sure if they have any other common vehicles. That is pretty significant as the Jeep GC is their largest selling vehicle. Only second to Ram PU for the Chrysler brand in the USA.

• berriberri Posts: 4,189

I think the 300 has some MB in it as well?

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,722

The previous one anyway had quite a few W210 bits. And of course the Crossfire was an SLK of sorts.

@berri said: I think the 300 has some MB in it as well?

• MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 5,135

@gagrice said: The Mercedes ML and Jeep Grand Cherokee share the same platform. Not sure if they have any other common vehicles. That is pretty significant as the Jeep GC is their largest selling vehicle. Only second to Ram PU for the Chrysler brand in the USA.

They might have back in the late 90's but I doubt its true today.

As I understood it, MB engineers had to be drug kicking and screaming to the discussions with C engineers regarding product development and platform/component sharing.

Culture clash of the first order. Read "Taken for a Ride" for the whole story.

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4
    Need help navigating? michaell@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,973

According to Wikipedia, the 2011+ Grand Cherokee and Durango still have some commonality with the Mercedes M, R, and GL class SUVs. I believe that some of the 5-speed automatics that Chrysler uses (or had been using) might be Benz units as well.

Wikipedia doesn't say anything about the 2011+ Charger and 300 sharing anything with Benz, but they're really not all-new designs, so I would think that they'd still have something in common with the older E-class, or whichever Benz model the first 300/Charger/Magnum was wrought from.

@andre1969 said: According to Wikipedia, the 2011+ Grand Cherokee and Durango still have some commonality with the Mercedes M, R, and GL class SUVs. I believe that some of the 5-speed automatics that Chrysler uses (or had been using) might be Benz units as well.

The newest Jeep GC get their 8 speed transmission from ZF. Same as BMW. Interestingly VW/Audi/Porsche use the Japanese Aisin 8 speed auto. I assume MB builds their own 7 speed. Add an Italian diesel to the Jeep GC and you have a World vehicle.

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,722

Yes, I think the 7-speed is an in-house unit (over 10 years old now, too - ahead of the pack). There's a 9-speed available in Europe now that is made by ZF, IIRC.

@gagrice said: The newest Jeep GC get their 8 speed transmission from ZF. Same as BMW. Interestingly VW/Audi/Porsche use the Japanese Aisin 8 speed auto. I assume MB builds their own 7 speed. Add an Italian diesel to the Jeep GC and you have a World vehicle.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,570

FCA - not to be confused with Ferrari Club of America.

"A new chapter of our story begins with the creation of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles," said John Elkann, Fiat chairman, in a statement. "A journey that started over a decade ago, as Fiat sought to ensure its place in an increasingly complex marketplace, has brought together two organizations each with a great history in the automotive industry and different but complementary geographic strengths. FCA allows us to face the future with a renewed sense of purpose and vigor."

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Debuts

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Super Bowl Dylan ad for Chrysler gets a lot of Sellout flack. Hard to say Chrysler is still a Domestic nameplate. Soon to be renamed and move the HQ to the Netherlands.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/02/03/an-obsessive-bob-dylan-fan-deludes-himself-into-justifying-that-chrysler-ad-in-5-steps/

Just looking at the Jan sales figures. Fiat Chrysler is the only "Domestic" that had increased sales. They were up 8% while GM was down 12% and Ford down 7%. Totyota and Honda didn't do so well either. Then look at the stock market.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,570
    edited February 4

Ha, the commentator notes that Bob's voice is shot. Compared to what?

Fiat Chrysler's sales were up in January, unlike most others. January's icy blast felt in Ford, GM showrooms; Fiat Chrysler sales up (Detroit Free Press)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Chrysler now has some competent engineers so we should see some great cars. :)

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,973

For some reason that dude makes me think of the vice principal from "Welcome Back Kotter".

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,901

I could sell millions of those things on eBay with a rap like that!

Here is a video that makes you wonder why Chrysler did not do much better. They were innovators in the 1960s.

• berriberri Posts: 4,189

I hope I'm wrong, but I fear that their quality and reliability will get them yet again. I'm expecting that this recent sales jump will sadly end up an ugly depreciation experience for the new owners, but I'm rooting for me to be wrong because through the 50's and 60's Chrysler was indeed an exciting innovator in design and drivetrains. I'd like to see them back and strong again.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,901

They lost their vitality in the 1970s, and on top of that made a lot of ill-conceived, energy-draining mergers with some automotive corpses overseas. Iacocca tried to breathe some life into Chrysler but he soon became yet another loose cannon on deck, like most of the CEOs from the Big 3 in the 1980s.

124»