Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Progression of Chrysler

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,931
    edited January 1
    Chrysler's inability to get new vehicles into production and on sale is becoming a concern. The U.S. auto market is experiencing an historic sales recovery, but Chrysler showrooms contain too many warmed-over versions of old vehicles while competitors pack their dealerships with all-new models.

Everyone else is launching numerous new vehicles, said Michelle Krebs, senior analyst with Edmunds.com.

Every delay becomes more obvious and critical Krebs said. Chrysler is starting from behind because it was so badly neglectedwhen Daimler and Cerberus owned it.

Chrysler remains overly dependent on pickups, minivans, SUVs and big sedans, just like it was before Fiat's driven and charismatic chief Sergio Marchionne took charge."

Chrysler delays raise concerns (Detroit Free Press)
    If the IPO goes, you will be able to buy stock in the company next year.

CGC.

Which stands for Chrysler Grand Caravan. :D

"Fiat will acquire the 41.46 percent stake in Chrysler from a retiree healthcare trust affiliated with the United Auto Workers union, which will receive $3.65 billion in cash for its stake. Additionally, once the deal closes, Chrysler has committed to giving the trust an additional $700 million.

The deal is a victory for Marchionne, who wants to merge Fiat and Chrysler and create a more competitive automaker with a broader global reach. But he has been at odds with the UAW trust for more than a year over the value of Chrysler."

Fiat reaches deal with UAW trust to buy rest of Chrysler (Reuters)

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346

I wonder how much responsibility Marchionne can own for signing off on such a botched first year for the Dart in America? They made a number of glaring errors, but two biggies that come to mind is their most fuel efficient engine option required premium fuel in order to come anywhere close to the optimistic EPA put on the car. Plus the nationally advertised low entry price couldn't get you anywhere near that engine. And it was all compounded by an auto (the DSG) that worked miserably in real-world use. And the kicker?? That that was the only auto you could get when getting what was considered their premium engine in the quest for FE and go. Fail, fail, fail..

In the beginning, that car was supposed to have a ZF sourced, conventional 6 (or was it 7?) speed auto. Had it had that tranny, at least that would be one big negative addressed.

There is a reason you rarely see one on the road. In these parts it is an extremely rare sighting indeed..in any trim level.

edited January 2

Steven Rattner, Obama's auto czar is tweeting "Chrysler equity value in 2009: $0. Today: $8.8 billion. Big win for UAW members and for American people"

Sergio probably enjoyed reading that one.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,680

Now we have only two Domestics Barely. As most of the D2 vehicles are built in Mexico or Canada. Bet Marchionne does not put up with any UAW crap.

**Chrysler has enjoyed great success under Fiat's ownership. It returned to profitability in 2011 and has been steadily improving sales and market share. Final 2013 sales figures are expected to show the company sold 2.6 million vehicles worldwide, up about 18% from 2012 and more than 70% from 2010, its first full year under Fiat's control.

The U.S. government also held a stake in Chrysler at the time it emerged from bankruptcy as compensation for the federal bailout the automaker received. But Treasury sold those shares back to Chrysler at a loss in 2011.**

"The redesigned 2014 Jeep Cherokee shares a front-drive platform with several Fiat models. The redesigned 2015 Chrysler 200 and a subcompact Jeep model also share Fiat front-drive platforms with Fiat. Both are expected to debut in the first quarter of 2014. A small Ram van based on a Fiat model also is expected."

Chrysler Group Vehicles May Get Euro Flavor Under New Deal

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346

@Stever@Edmunds said: A small Ram van based on a Fiat model also is expected."

I'll bet that thing will do well here..that's been a huge void here for years. There are so many mini Sprinter-type vans running around England, it's the most common utility vehicle there is. Of course ours won't get the diesel options..

Ford seems to do well enough with their Transit here, but even it doesn't actually qualify as what I would perceive as a small Ram. A VW bus sorta style is what it sounds like it should end up being...maybe a tad smaller..

Yeah, I think Ford was a bit surprised at how well the Transit Connect has sold. I'd be interested in a small van that got "good" mileage -- the VW microbus concept from early 2000's was way cool.

• berriberri Posts: 4,000

So Fiat and Chrysler are now one. How many years do you give it until the Finance types spin the two off again?

• Michaell@EdmundsMichaell@Edmunds ColoradoPosts: 1,119

@berri said: So Fiat and Chrysler are now one. How many years do you give it until the Finance types spin the two off again?

I don't think it will happen. Unlike the MB/C "merger of equals" back in '98, this time the two companies will unite products. We're already seeing it with the Dart and 200. The euro-inspired vans are already here as well.

We'll see more of the same going forward. North America profits will fund future product development - at least, that's the plan.

michaell@edmunds.com

Moderator, Prices Paid and Leasing Experiences

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

The Mercedes ML and Jeep Grand Cherokee share the same platform. Not sure if they have any other common vehicles. That is pretty significant as the Jeep GC is their largest selling vehicle. Only second to Ram PU for the Chrysler brand in the USA.

• berriberri Posts: 4,000

I think the 300 has some MB in it as well?

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,900

The previous one anyway had quite a few W210 bits. And of course the Crossfire was an SLK of sorts.

@berri said: I think the 300 has some MB in it as well?

• Michaell@EdmundsMichaell@Edmunds ColoradoPosts: 1,119

@gagrice said: The Mercedes ML and Jeep Grand Cherokee share the same platform. Not sure if they have any other common vehicles. That is pretty significant as the Jeep GC is their largest selling vehicle. Only second to Ram PU for the Chrysler brand in the USA.

They might have back in the late 90's but I doubt its true today.

As I understood it, MB engineers had to be drug kicking and screaming to the discussions with C engineers regarding product development and platform/component sharing.

Culture clash of the first order. Read "Taken for a Ride" for the whole story.

michaell@edmunds.com

Moderator, Prices Paid and Leasing Experiences

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,584

According to Wikipedia, the 2011+ Grand Cherokee and Durango still have some commonality with the Mercedes M, R, and GL class SUVs. I believe that some of the 5-speed automatics that Chrysler uses (or had been using) might be Benz units as well.

Wikipedia doesn't say anything about the 2011+ Charger and 300 sharing anything with Benz, but they're really not all-new designs, so I would think that they'd still have something in common with the older E-class, or whichever Benz model the first 300/Charger/Magnum was wrought from.

@andre1969 said: According to Wikipedia, the 2011+ Grand Cherokee and Durango still have some commonality with the Mercedes M, R, and GL class SUVs. I believe that some of the 5-speed automatics that Chrysler uses (or had been using) might be Benz units as well.

The newest Jeep GC get their 8 speed transmission from ZF. Same as BMW. Interestingly VW/Audi/Porsche use the Japanese Aisin 8 speed auto. I assume MB builds their own 7 speed. Add an Italian diesel to the Jeep GC and you have a World vehicle.

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,900

Yes, I think the 7-speed is an in-house unit (over 10 years old now, too - ahead of the pack). There's a 9-speed available in Europe now that is made by ZF, IIRC.

@gagrice said: The newest Jeep GC get their 8 speed transmission from ZF. Same as BMW. Interestingly VW/Audi/Porsche use the Japanese Aisin 8 speed auto. I assume MB builds their own 7 speed. Add an Italian diesel to the Jeep GC and you have a World vehicle.

FCA - not to be confused with Ferrari Club of America.

"A new chapter of our story begins with the creation of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles," said John Elkann, Fiat chairman, in a statement. "A journey that started over a decade ago, as Fiat sought to ensure its place in an increasingly complex marketplace, has brought together two organizations each with a great history in the automotive industry and different but complementary geographic strengths. FCA allows us to face the future with a renewed sense of purpose and vigor."

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Debuts

Super Bowl Dylan ad for Chrysler gets a lot of Sellout flack. Hard to say Chrysler is still a Domestic nameplate. Soon to be renamed and move the HQ to the Netherlands.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/02/03/an-obsessive-bob-dylan-fan-deludes-himself-into-justifying-that-chrysler-ad-in-5-steps/