Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Progression of Chrysler

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,345
    According to the propaganda, the Camry is "reinvented" :shades:

Chrysler seems to be making the hugest potential jump in brand equity.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,152
    I like the new Dart from some angles, but from others, it makes me think of a 10 year old Hyundai or Kia.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,445
    I can see certain angles you might not like and I'm not crazy about the dash but overall I love the package and indeed they are making the new Camry look downright fuddy duddy.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,980

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

“Chrysler’s momentum has been nothing short of remarkable, especially when it was on its last lifelines as recently as two years ago,” said Edmunds.com Senior Analyst Michelle Krebs. “It’s poetic that Chrysler is receiving this well-deserved recognition almost exactly one year after its ‘Imported from Detroit’ ad campaign debuted during the Super Bowl, which was really the big turning point for the company.”

Edmunds.com Auto Sales Forecast: Analysts See Chrysler up 35 Percent (chron.com)

"For January, Chrysler said it sold 101,149 vehicles. Truck sales rose 25% from a year ago, while car sales more than doubled.

Sales for the Dodge brand advanced 29% while sales for the Jeep brand gained 37%. The namesake line's sales increased 81%.

Chrysler finished the month with an 83-day supply of inventory."

January U.S. Auto Sales Jump (WSJ)

"Fiat SpA has reached an agreement to with Sberbank Rossii to build Jeeps in Russia, according to reports in the Italian media Sunday.

Marchionne said recently that much of Chrysler's growth in 2012 will come from expanding Jeep's overseas sales in markets where its name is already well known."

Fiat to build Jeeps in Russian factories (detroitnews.com)

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,182
    edited March 2012
    edited April 2012
    To be closer to his money?

Chrysler posts $473 million profit in Q1a (detroitnews.com)

No problem, the reemergence of the minivan will save Chrysler again. :-)

Chrysler, minivan heavyweight for 29 years, mulls next act (autonews.com)

"Chrysler has introduced a "No Payments for 90 Days" promotion on many of its 2012 Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram Truck and Fiat models that will run through May 31. The special deal excludes the 2012 Dodge Avenger SE, Chrysler 200 LX sedan, Dodge Journey AVP, Fiat 500 Abarth, all SRT models and the Viper."

Chrysler Debuts No Payments for 90 Days (Inside Line)

• berriberri Posts: 4,275
    Well I hope they really are turning the quality corner, but for now I'm expecting to see a lot of used Chryler products on the lots of other makes starting in about 3 or 4 years when the new car payments run out and the warranty is expired. Color me skeptical.
    Dumping the Town and Country for another boring crossover. Phooey. :shades:

Chrysler keeps Dodge Caravan; production of Town & Country to end (Detroit News)

Dodge Announces Withdrawal From NASCAR (Inside Line)

(The WSJ reports this week that minivans are back and sales are up, so maybe the T&C will get reconsidered).

edited October 2012
    "The automotive industry is benefitting from as low interest rates, improved housing prices, more optimistic consumers and pent-up-demand from consumers with aging vehicles who are returning to dealer showrooms."

Chrysler sales up 12% in September (Detroit Free Press)

"Fiat's troubles in Europe make it increasingly important for Fiat to complete a full merger with Chrysler, according to a report Wednesday by Max Warburton, an analyst for Bernstein Research. However, Fiat's plans to acquire a larger stake in Chrysler are taking longer than expected, in part, because of a suit by the UAW Retiree Medical Benefits Trust.

Fiat owns 58.5% of Chrysler and is trying to buy an additional 3.3% of Chrysler's shares from the trust, which manages health care for union retirees."

Fiat's weak sales, credit downgrade complicate plan to increase Chrysler stake (Detroit Free Press)

"Adding the third crew now was driven by the mounting cost of overtime Jefferson North's workers have logged in recent months. Newly hired workers start at a lower wage to which the UAW agreed in its 2011 contract.

Through September, U.S. sales of the Grand Cherokee are up 30.1% from a year earlier to 112,075."

Chrysler to add 1,100 workers at Detroit plant to make SUVs (Detroit Free Press)

"Net revenue for the quarter was 18 percent to $15.5 billion, thanks to a 19 percent increase in shipments. Chrysler shipped 559,000 vehicles during the third quarter compared to 469,000 during the same period in 2011.

Since emerging from bankruptcy in 2009, Chrysler has not only returned to solid profitability, but also announced investments of more than $4.5 billion in the United States and Canada, repaid its government loans in full with interest six years ahead of schedule and launched 18 new or refreshed cars and trucks.

Fiat currently owns 58.5 percent of Chrysler and is trying to purchase another 3.3 percent of the company from its other owner, an hourly retiree health care trust run by the United Auto Workers."

Chrysler 3Q net profit up 80% to $381M (Detroit News)

"Chrysler Group LLC will announce Thursday nearly a quarter of a billion dollars in new investments and add about 1,250 jobs at three of its Michigan plants to boost production of engines and pickup trucks."

Chrysler to invest $250M, add 1,250 jobs at three Michigan plants (Detroit News)

"Chrysler Group LLC earlier reported its best November sales since 2007, as it sold 122,565 vehicles in the month, up 14.4 percent from the same month in 2011.

"Our November sales were up 14 percent and we extended our sales streak to 32-consecutive months of year-over-year sales gains."

Chrysler posts best November sales since '07 (Detroit News)

• Great new for Chrysler Group LLC!

Thanks to all of our customers who love to drive our vehicles!

Lisa
    Customer Care
    Chrysler Group LLC
    "Last month, Chrysler sold just 4,489 Darts, almost a thousand less than it sold in October. That is significant, because the industry as a whole reported its strongest sales in nearly five years on Monday. And that has some analysts worried.

"It is of concern, because the small-car segment is doing very well right now — and they are missing the boat on that," said Michelle Krebs of Edmunds.com. "Their numbers should be higher. But they are establishing themselves in a space they haven't played in for some time."

Dodge Dart sales veer from target (Detroit News)

I wonder if there's getting to be some overlap with the Dodge Avenger and Chrysler 200C? Even though the Dart's a "compact" and those two are "midsized", there really isn't a huge difference in size between the two. And the last time I was at the Mopar dealer, I noticed they were running some incredible deals on the Avenger/200C. Not so much on the Dart.

I'd think the Dart would still appeal to the more youthful crowd, but maybe some people are getting swayed into the Avenger or 200C, because of those rebates.

Another potential problem might be the product mix. Back in 1981, Chrysler botched the launch of their Reliant/Aries K-cars, because while they were advertised at a nice low base price, initially they built mainly fully decked-out models. So people went into the dealer expecting to get some economical compact for $6000 or so, and finding that all the cars on the lot were $9000 and up. They corrected that problem pretty quickly, thankfully. But maybe they're repeating it for the Dart?
    edited December 2012
    Car prices keep going up but I think you're right; Dart prices may look a bit high for a "compact" and Dodge is trying to hold the line on incentives.

edited December 2012
    This has to be a mis-print or have some kind of fine print, right? 2013 Avenger with 3.6 V-6 for $16,279. Even though the Avenger and 200C are also-rans by this time, it still seems like a great deal at that price.

For comparison, here's a fairly basic Dart S/E Aero for $16,159.

Even though the Dart is a newer, more up-to-date design, the V-6 Avenger for about the same price is very compelling, at least to me. Also, that Dart is at the dealer I bought my Ram from, so that internet price isn't going to include freight, and will also include every single incentive they offer tacked on, whether you actually qualify for them all or not. And, reading the fine print for the Avenger, looks like that dealer does the same thing.

But, like you said, there probably aren't as many incentives on the Dart.
    Looks like most of the current incentives are conquest type ones, and go from $500 to $1,000.

Yeah, that's about what I figured. Or some kind of loyalty incentive. When I bought my 2012 Ram, I think the only incentive I didn't qualify for was one for $1,000, that was for current lessees of a Chrysler product. Originally I was going to pay cash (or rather, raid some home equity), but they had another $500 rebate if I financed through them. So I did that, going to make a few payments, and then pay it off in full.
    Here's another fun one:

"Starting this month, Chrysler is offering $1,000 cash back to customers who have a vehicle made by Volkswagen AG.

To be eligible for the discount, customers don’t even have to trade in or give up their VW vehicles, merely prove that they’ve owned or leased one in at least 30 days before getting the new Chrysler."

The Routan doesn't count. :shades:

Chrysler Woos Volkswagen Owners with Cash-Back Offer (WSJ)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    edited December 2012
    these silly little flirtations automakers have with each other purely for the consumer's benefit, eh? :P

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed