Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

98 Outback Trans

pjay3pjay3 Member Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in Subaru
Hi all,

My 98 Legacy Outback certainly doesn't owe me a thing. She (yes it's a she) has 263K on her and has just recently begun to show her age. 2 weeks ago the tranny started to slip one morning while pulling out of the driveway. It corrected itself after about a minute and was fine for the rest of the day. The same thing happened the next day. Last Friday it did the slip dance and was fine until I got to my destination, over 100 miles away... It lurched forward from a stop and began to make REALLY stupid sounds. It also stopped going into reverse. I immediately aborted the mission and limped back to base going 50 mph cauz it wouldn't go into 4th. So.... No reverse, no 4th, No low range.. it even wants to go forward in Park! No codes come through in the OBD, but then I don't have one for the tranny...

Any ideas?? (other than take the old girl out back and giver the 150gr HP Lead cure). If it were my 86' Dodge slant 6 I'd simply swap out with a junker it in a couple of hrs, but this looks like a devil to mess with! I can barely change out the plugs on her! Definitely a "she". Sheesh!

Thanx

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761
    Definitely sounds like the the transmission is toast. You can likely find a used tranny for around $1000 (or so?). Replacing it is not that tough, really. Label all the wires and hoses, then once you take all that stuff away, you're back to a regular engine. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • pjay3pjay3 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the bounce back!

I kinda expected an answer like that, but I was hoping for something simple like " It's just one of the tranny solenoids or maybe the left handed ganglehead sprocket".

I might trade her in for another used model or take a saunter through the local u-pull it yard and see if I can play matchmaker for a hundred bucks or so.

Any of you grease docs please feel free to give a second opinion on this case!

After that I guess I should look into tackling that 100k overdue [non-permissible content removed] of a 2.5 timing belt....

Keep smilin.
This discussion has been closed.