Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cruise control, remote start, auto locks not working

mbrugsmbrugs Member Posts: 1
My Cruise control, remote start and auto locks when driving and putting in park are not working. All seemed to happen at the same time. I have read through my manual and can't find anything on what may have caused this or how to fix it. Any ideas???

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    mbrugs,
    I would recommend taking your vehicle to your dealer of choice. Please keep me updated on your progress.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I would guess it may be an issue with BCM (Body Control Module) as it is involved with various electrical things in the cabin.
  • jouimettejouimette Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 HHR, and this has happened to me 4 times - the previous 3 times it was under warranty - the last time I took it to the dealership here in town that I bought it from, I went to pick it up after they had replaced the computer, and it did the same thing - they said they had replaced it with a faulty module. Now, it has happened again - and the car is just shy of 4 years old and is no longer under warranty. I am frustrated and ready to trade this car in on a Ford - can you help?

John
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    If you had it fixed at a GM dealer I think the fix itself should have a warranty (which may go beyond vehicle warranty). That would depend of course on when it was done. Again if done by a GM dealer and documented and your nice about it I think they may work with you. 4 times? I think I would suggest looking beyond the actual module itself, perhaps a connection problem (loose or corroded).
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    If the problem started when the vehicule was on warranty and it's still giving you problems even with your warranty expired, the problem has been entered in the system while on warranty. So, you're still having problems with the same issue, G.M. must repair it once and for (on warranty) because the problem was reported while your HHR was still on warranty.
    I had the same experience once and the warranty was over since 16 months and GM dealer fixed it on warranty because it had been reported while on warranty 2 years before.
  • dfornetdfornet Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 HHR. The remote entry system has given me issues since about 6 months after purchase. At first I thought the battery in the key fob. Replaced it. But every now and then, it would not work. A slight tap on the backside helped. Turns out that the battery holder / contacts became separated from the circuit board inside the fob. This happened to BOTH the fobs that came with the car! Dealer was no help. Claimed I abused them and told me that I would have to pay for it. So I soldered the contact back on one of them.

Since I discovered that issue, the remote entry system has been getting worse and worse. It takes longer and longer for the car to recognize that the unlock or lock button has been pressed. Occasionally it would not work at all. Using the key when it did not work was useless! The power door lock apparently is half activated at that point and will not allow you to unlock the car!

I have been able to work around this until tonight. Now the car does not recognize the remote entry fob at all, and the door lock is once again bound up. So I have a nice car that I cannot get into at all since GM cheaped out and decided it only needed ONE DOOR LOCK THAT USES A KEY!

Has anyone else had this issue? If so what was the fix?

BTW the dealer is NO HELP AT ALL! I took it back twice but was talked into talking to the salesman because they were "busy". Well it turns out that they did that so they could look at the car without putting it into the system for a warranty claim and make their numbers look bad. Now there is "convieniently" no record of it being in for service.
  • bparker4bparker4 Member Posts: 2
    The door locks bound up seems like a common issue with these pieces of junk. Seems that the locking rod inside the door some how bends and causes the door unlocking issue. It is not just the front driver side door either. My wifes 2008 HHR has the issue with several of the doors that happen at random times when they feel like locking or unlocking. Pressing the unlock button over and over again usually gets them open. We finally started manually locking the doors and leaving the hatch unlocked so that if we could not get in we could send one of the kids through the hatch to unlock. I thought about replacing them myself but if the part comes from Chevy I am sure it will have the same issue as well so no since in wasting my time or money. Wish Chevy would take responsibility for the piece of junk they created and fix all the issues that are easy to find with every HHR owner. I dont see it happening because it is always the same thing of it is only a couple people with the issue and not enough to recall.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Bparker4,

If we can be of any assistance (looking into warranty/recall information, helping you work with a dealership towards resolving this concern), please email us with your name, contact information, and VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • myustenmyusten Member Posts: 1
    I bought my HHR in 2007 and by the time I had it six months it had this problem three times. Each time I took it to the dealer where I bought it, they could find nothing wrong with it and it worked fine for a while. The third time they "couldn't get to it until the end of the day". I have had no problems with that particular area since then. I think that the dealership replaced all the electrical control components (BCU) etc. They just didn't tell me and just did it.
  • kelly2565kelly2565 Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem with my 2008 model. I was so excited to get this car, my first brand new car, and it's falling apart after only 3 years.
  • grizmn1851grizmn1851 Member Posts: 1
    +We have the same problem with the door locks. we got locked out late one night and I found out if you turn the key with a pair of pliers it will unlock with the extra leverage. I plan on tearing into the doors to cure the problem . we just dont lock the car now. Bob
  • tubbytbtubbytb Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 HHR and I try to set the cruise control and nothing happens. Also, when I put it into park, it does not unlock the doors as it used to. Are these two problems related and can they be fixed? They both started happening about the same time
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Have you check the fuse box...probably a jumped fuse.
    I thought of that, and I guess it is just finding out where the fuse box is. I really have never had the necessity to check it before and now will have to find out where it is located. Thank you!
    tubbytb,

There is a section designated to your vehicle's electrical system in your manual (includes diagrams of the fuse blocks). It starts on p. 380 of the 2007 HHR manual.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Thank you so very much for your help! :):)
    You're welcome! Hope you find what you're looking for, tubbytb!

• lulu76lulu76 Member Posts: 12
    I am guessing I am having trouble with this same electronic module you are all mentioning. The remotes for my doors haven't worked for months. I assumed the one I used all the time needed a new battery (even though the car is supposed to tell you when it's low) so I switched it with the other fob. I wasn't using it because when I tried to remote start with it, it set the alarm off. Well, lo and behold. Now the original one still doesn't lock it right and when I try to remote start now they BOTH set off the alarm. I just got a lot of fun looks in a parking lot. The dealer replaced them once already under the bumper-to-bumper because they fell apart.

My other issue is that the check engine light, power steering and ESC all go on and off intermittently. The power steering seems to be the only one that's a big issue. I haven't tried the cruise, but I'll be doing that on my drive home.

I guess I am going to have to suck it up and take it to a dealer. I am wondering how much all this will cost. I looked at trading the @#$% thing in, but there aren't any new HHRs left and I surely don't want one without a warranty.
  • redharleyredharley Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriends 2008 HHR has the door lock problem. The fobs have not worked for over a year. What module is it that causes this issue ?
    Dan
    Good morning Dan,

I know it's probably something you've probably already looked into, but have you two tried replacing the batteries?

I'm not sure if a fuse would be a problem, but there's information on the electrical system for the 2008 HHR starting on p. 5-119 of the manual.

Let me know if this is something you're thinking about working with a dealership on - I'm afraid that aside from the above thoughts I'm rather limited in my troubleshooting abilities.

• rwhayes01rwhayes01 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2011 HHR with remote control door problems. I bought it used with two remotes. Both worked fine for a while then one quit. I changed the battery but no help. I switched to the second remote. It works fine for unlocking the doors but sometimes takes three or four tries to lock and sometime will not lock at all. I changed battery but still doesn't work right. Is this a common problem and is it usually the key fob or the car receiver?
    Hello rwhayes01,

I certainly understand how this may become frustrating for you. Have you considered bringing the vehicle in to the dealership to have them diagnose the concern? If you're interested, feel free to private message us your VIN, current mileage, preferred dealer and contact info for further assistance. I look forward to working with you to find a resolution to this matter.

Marlea W.
    GM Customer Care
  • frustratedinmofrustratedinmo Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar issue. My door locks constantly cycle and my speedometer fluctuates wildly.  I'm not sure what's up with my HHR, but it's making me want to sell it...