Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,068
    I have to agree. While it's VERY easy to get off course, let's get back around to the Focus please.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    I'm in Maryland, near DC. I'm sure I've encountered other 2012s but simply not noticed.

Around 2 months ago, I did a double take at a sedan, only to realize later that it was almost certainly a Fiesta, not a 2012 Focus.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    A reporter is interested in talking with recent buyers of the Chevy Cruze, Ford Fiesta or Ford Focus. If you care to share your comments, please email your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, May 16, 2011.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Autoweek - SE Hatchback - manual:

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110512/CARREVIEWS/110519947

All editors heap praise on the handling and suspension. They also all slammed MyTouch.

Car and Driver - SE Hatchback - manual

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/11q2/2012_ford_focus_se_hatchback_manual- -short_take_road_test

"The bottom line, up top: This latest Ford Focus is the best small car for sale in America today."

Here's a line of interest for you manual lovers:

"Ignoring the fact that the stick is unavailable on the higher SEL and Titanium trims (a mortal sin in our book, although Ford tells us consumer interest has it reexamining manual availability), . . ."
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hmmm, I wonder if my fussing to Ford vis-à-vis the glaring omission of a stick shift in the Titanium model wasn't just the lone voice in howling wind. :) That said, even if Ford starts offering a stick in the higher end models, given how thin the back seat room is I may not be able to fit a new Focus into my lifestyle. :(
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,047
    I don't know why you guys keep harping about the back seat. An adult can sit back there fairly comfortably for short duration and a child seat fits fine. Just saw a TV video review on motorweek last night and they showed an adult sitting back there no problem with the seat adjusted for the same person of average looking heighth. Would you want to travel crosscountry in the back if you're over 5'10"? Probably not. But who buys a Focus for crosscountry cruising with adults in the back anyway? There are other cars out there (even bigger vehicles) with similar back seat dimensions and nobody is screaming about their back seats all the time.

I agree it's on the smaller side but a lot of posts in here make it sound like it's unusable. I've got a Infiniti QX4 which is pretty tight in the back(I believe similar legroom to the new Focus) and I've driven 4-5 hours with adults in back and they didn't complain. Of course, I was paying for the gas so what did they have to complain about? ;)
    edited May 2011
    While the Focus may well be large enough to accommodate car seats, my wife and I are in that gap between needing them (i.e. our teenagers have long since been out of them and *hopefully* it will be a while before they have kids and need us to tote them around). The thing is, we could use our minivan for our frequent trips between New Hampshire and Manhattan, or we can take my Mazda3 (which has 3" more leg room over the new Focus); given the price of gas these days it isn't at all surprising that we opt for the Mazda more often than not.

When I went and looked at the Focus I took the kids along and had them park themselves in the back seat; "no go" was the answer from them on being forced to sit back there for more than a quick trip. Long story short, if we opt to get rid of the very useful and practical minivan and buy the Focus, then we can still take the Mazda for our long trips, however, if we decide to swap out the Mazda, the Focus ain't gonna happen due to the lack of rear seat room.

FWIW, the four of us took a trip from New Hampshire to the Detroit area last fall in the Mazda and we were more than comfortable; by not taking the minivan we saved nearly $200 in fuel costs.

So why do some of us harp on the lack of rear seat room in the Focus? Because our kids are up to (or nearing) 5' 10". From my perspective, why market a 4-Door car with only two usable seats? I suppose it will work for families with small children, but once they hit teenage-hood, it's a very different story.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,913
    No kidding! My youngest child is 6'1". Very few vehicles give him a really comfortable amount of legroom in the back, but I'm not interested in buying a vehicle that will turn him into an accordion. In a year, I won't care, but the Focus would be a no-go right now.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I appreciate your point and your situation. But I say "your" point as it applies to you. You again say that it only has only two usable seats and my point is that the back is usable. Comfy and roomy for your particular situation?? Hardly. I think Ford's target market is younger couples with small children, singles, young adults and teenagers and possibly older buyers that want something very economical.

Midsized sedans that are more designed to fit a larger family's needs and get pretty much the same MPG but possibly not the sporty experience you desire unless you go with a Mazda6.

The only real point I'm trying to make is that the new Focus may not fit your particular needs but the back seat is fine for millions of other people. Just don't think it's fair to label it's back seat as unusable. I've read probably 20 reviews of the new Focus and can't recall one reviewer stating that the back seat was unusable. Saw a lot of comments mentioning it being tight or snug or a little less space than some other compacts.

In fact, my QX4 has less legroom and less hiproom than the new Focus and I've had it for almost 9 years and 70K with teenagers, adults and kids in the backseat on long trips and they seemed to have survived the experience. In fact, I really don't remember anybody complaining about the size of the backseat. Maybe we are just a bunch of masochists in our family. :sick:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Is that a personal problem for you that some small car buyers want a car with a back seat that can comfortably hold people 5'10"-ish for more than an hour or so? Maybe they want something they can take their family on multi-hour trips and get full use of that excellent fuel economy? Maybe they don't have the cash to buy multiple vehicles.

Small cars with back seats that have plenty of leg room exist--it's not like it's impossible to design a car that way.
    I'm too lazy to browse backwards at the moment, but there were some posts that implied that the rear seat is too small to even fit a childseat. (If you saw any of those posts by me, I was only repeating what others observed -- hearsay, in other words). That would deem it "unuseable" to me, but I'll have to reserve final judgment until I get to check one out personally again.

I'm not concerned at all with the 5'10 standard. It pangs me a little to have to choose between my son growing up to fit in the back of a Focus comfortably versus (defying all genetic odds) growing up to to be the 6'2 forward for the Chicago Bulls. But I'm willing to bet on the former. (If he enters the NBA, he could buy me four Focuses, or maybe just one Aston Martin).
    edited May 2011
    Is that a personal problem for you that some small car buyers want a car with a back seat that can comfortably hold people 5'10"-ish for more than an hour or so?

Not at all, it's everone's perogative and personal choice. My problem was calling the backseat of the Focus unusable as in "why have four doors if the backseat is unusable". That is pretty definitive. Unusable for who...everyone? Obviously, you may find it unusable but many woudn't. Do I personally care if some people want bigger back seats? Absolutely not. Why should I? But since my vehicles backseat is smaller then the new Focus's, I guess I shouldn't have been using it all these years because obviously it is unusable. ;)

Too small for many people, yes. Unusable for most...no!
    Believe me, I have no axe to grind for or against the Focus and given everything else being equal I would certainly choose a car with a little more comfort for all occupants. But you hit it on the head when you say it may be "unusable for me". That's just my point and now that I've had to explain it three or four times I'm sure it's getting old for everyone else as it is for me.

I'll try to keep it really really simple and that is certainly not directed at you personally. My vehicle has a smaller back seat than the new Focus. I can fit adults, car seats, booster seats, teenagers, Labrador Retrievers, etc in my back seat. It is usable. I'm sure the new Focus backseat is therefore usable. Small, cramped, tight, not big enough for some people to the point they wouldn't buy it.....sure, but not unusable.

By the way, 6'2" is not going to be playing forward in the NBA. Try guard. But I hear you cause the center on my high school team was 6'2" and that was pretty tall then.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Over the years I've come to mentally add "IMO" to statements that are obviously opinions in Town Hall. Otherwise I'd be spending all day "correcting" posters here. ;)
    edited May 2011
    "Midsized sedans that are more designed to fit a larger family's needs and get pretty much the same MPG but possibly not the sporty experience you desire unless you go with a Mazda6."

Were it not for the fact that cars which compete dead-on against the Focus (like the Mazda3) have as much as 3" more overall leg room, I might buy your argument. In my case I want a car with plenty of small-car sporting aspirations AND a place to stash my teenagers in the back for a five our drive. Apparently I'm not the only one.

"Cover the competition" is what my wise old skipper used to say; in this case Ford went out on a reach while the others close hauled toward the marker, and as a result, the Focus came up short. Is it a fine car for people whom don't really need a normal sized back seat? Yup, no denying it.
  • bamacarbamacar Posts: 749
    I have to agree with m6user here. I have been wondering how bad the Focus was so I went to the Ford dealership and sat in the Focus. I am over 6 feet and large and I set the Focus front seat comfortably (SE no sunroof as I hate them and the space they eat). I got in the back seat and found the space not good but I could handle it for around town without any problem. It was below average for a compact but far from unacceptable. I got in a Fiesta and there was no comparison. I couldn't even jam by leg behind the front seat. That is unacceptable for anyone over about 6-8 years old.

I then went to Mazda and if it has over 36 inches of rear legroom it must be invisible. The previous generation had reasonable room. The 2011 appeared to have about equal space as the Focus.

The Focus doesn't have the legroom of the Jetta or Elantra, but I was not turned off by the space. The headroom seemed better in the Focus than just about every competitor to include the Mazda3, Jetta, and Elantra.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    edited May 2011
    The Focus doesn't have the legroom of the Jetta or Elantra, but I was not turned off by the space. The headroom seemed better in the Focus than just about every competitor to include the Mazda3, Jetta, and Elantra.

Right, the problem is not the head room, & not even the knee room -- only the stretch-out leg room, which a child-seat won't have problem with.
    edited May 2011
    But who buys a Focus for crosscountry cruising with adults in the back anyway?

Today's Focus, like all the old Honda Accord's prior to 1998, could not allow my legs to stretch out in the back. But wait a minute, yesterday's Focus got adult-size leg room in the back PLUS adult-size chair height, which is something today's Golf/Jetta don't got while my Mk1 Jetta does! :sick:

That's right. Just 24 hrs ago, I drove my '07 Focus ST to go test drive the GTI & Golf, which may have enough leg room in the back but w/ low chairs. So the rear seating is still not that comfortable. While on the way home, the hydraulic steering in my '07 Focus ST felt so alive by comparison, even when driving in a straight line, & therefore felt so good. Despite slightly less steering precision plus slightly less comfort due to less quietness & front suspension travel, I still find my old Focus more fun & enjoyable.

So if you have driven the head-of-the-class new Focus, chances are you might turn selfish enough to buy it despite realizing that most rear passengers will be suffering (like how the Accord sedans used to offer):P

Me too, I was wondering why those old Accord sedans got rear doors...
    Me too, I was wondering why those old Accord sedans got rear doors...

Yeah, it's a wonder how they sold any of those Accords when the backseat was clearly unusable. :confuse:
    edited May 2011
    You're right. Even w/ no rear leg room (by American std), the Accord was the best selling car in America! That's b/c America is the most wasteful country w/ very high percentage of drivers not using the carpool lane.

So the new Focus will be a selling success here after people test drove it.

Maybe it was about 9 yrs ago when I traveled to Asia. They happened to have a prettier version of the Sentra which was stylish enough to be an Infiniti, while our Sentra was fugly (& still is today). I was wondering if that would hurt their Maxima's sales. Well, they carpool a lot, so they need to buy the Maxima anyway.
  • markus5markus5 Posts: 102
    edited May 2011
    Last week, I saw a very stunning New Focus silver SE Hatchback model in the parking lot of my Gym. I pulled my '04 zts Focus right along side, which gave me an opportunity and a perspective which was not available to me at the dealership visit last month. ( for some reason cars look better in the environment than they do in a showroom or dealers' back lot)
    From the standpoint of replacing my '04 ( it feels & drives exactly like new at over 100K, remarkable), I had become quite concerned that the new car had appeared small in that first encounter. Casual observations recounted in this blog space had bolstered that original impression.
    Now looking at the two vehicles side by side, my old one did have a few more inches of length over the Hatchback, but in every other quality of a vehicles' "presence", this new model showed me more heft. The latest reviews I have read and seen on PBS's Motor Week also seem to confirm my emerging perspective, that Ford which after all spends millions on Marketing Studies, may have their Focus just right.
    edited May 2011
    The new Focus is super wide @ 6ft, while the ZTS is only 5'7" wide -- a big difference in bulk that small-car drivers might not get used to.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 574
    edited May 2011
    Amen. I'm 6'1" and 210 pounds and can comfortably sit behind myself in the new Focus. Roomy? No, but certainly acceptable for a compact sedan. After reading the comments here I was shocked I was able to fit very well behind the driver's seat (which was adjusted for myself). Easily as large as my old A4 that I regularly hauled 4 adults in and plenty of size for me and most people in the market for a compact sedan.
    edited May 2011
    Granted I'm only 5' 9" (ish), but I'm rather long of leg for someone my height; when I set the front seat for my preferred driving position in my Mazda3 (all of the way back, height medium, seat-back raked back only a few degrees) and then sit in the rear I have an easy two inches between my knee caps and the back of the front seat. When I do the same in the 2012 Focus (all of the way back as well) my knee caps are firmly implanted in the seat in front of me; not even remotely comfortable.

If I was 6' 1" and had the same proportions as I do now (i.e. same inseam to height ratio) there's no way I'd even be able to sit in the rear of the Focus even for a short trip.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 574
    edited May 2011
    If I was 6' 1" and had the same proportions as I do now (i.e. same inseam to height ratio) there's no way I'd even be able to sit in the rear of the Focus even for a short trip.

That is amazing. My inseam is 34" and I had no problem sitting in the back seat of a 2012 Focus yesterday. I actually checked it out because of so many here called it "unusable". :confuse:

The rear seat legroom is very similar to my former 2000 Audi A4 1.8T and 1992 Honda Accord LX sedan. It's fine for full-size adults on short trips or kids on any trip. If I was hauling around 4 full-size adults all the time, I wouldn't be in the market for a compact seden.
    I couldn't fit in the rear of the 2000 A4 either and didn't buy one as a result. It blows my mind that you could get in back there; then again, even though I'm an easy four inches shorter than you, my inseam is just over 36", which might well explain the difference.
    No offense meant, but someone 5'9" with an inseam over 36" is rather rare. I'm 5-10 and my inseam is only 31". So to say a backseat is unusable because you don't happen to be comfortable in it is stretching it don't you think? You mentioned that Ford should meet the market or something like that but I don't see how they can design a car to fit everyone equally given extremes in body shapes.
    edited May 2011
    Excuse me but I don't think a 36" inseam is all that rare, especially among taller than average women; women tend to be leggier than men for any given overall height.

Compared to the competition, the back seat of the Focus is unusable; in fact, even when compared to the previous generation Focus the back seat is still unusable. Were it not for the fact that there are a number of other cars out there in class with significantly more room I might agree with you that there's nothing wrong per-se, with how Ford configured the new car; that they failed to meet their competition is inexcusable.
  • spyderonespyderone Posts: 54
    You have made your point very well known that the back seat is unusable, but that is your opinion and for your needs. It will however work for million of others. I thought it was fine. It would be almost impossible for a manufacturer to design ONE vehicle to fit everyone's needs because everyone's needs are different. If this vehicle doesn't work for you look at a Fusion or any other brand or model that will work. Some people think the interior is not up to par, others think it is great. Some may think it is too big whereas others think it is too small. Different opinions, different tastes