Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I bought a new Gen 1 Scirocco in 1979 and loved that car; what a blast to scream around corners/curves on three wheels. :shades:

Funny thing about the Mazda2 versus the 2012 Focus, the dealership where I bought my Mazda3 is a combination Ford and Mazda dealership and I had the opportunity to compare a 2011 Mazda3, a 2012 Focus, and a 2011 Mazda2 side-by-side-by-side, and I was so shocked that the Mazda2 seemed to have a bit more legroom than the Focus that the first thing I did when I got home was to look it up. Sure enough, the Mazda2 has 42.6/33.0/75.6 (Front/Rear/Total) inches of legroom versus 41.9/33.2/75.1 inches. To be sure, both cars are too tight for fitting my family so I guess the point is moot when the Mazda3 has so much more room (42.0/36.2/78.2).
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    edited August 2011
    Maybe, I'm getting old or something ,but I've been on this site for 15 years ,they have me down as 2 years.
    Anyways Himler, Spyder and Nippon Only had the answers for our Integs and GSR'splus the RSX.
    My problem is I have a short list made. .The Ford Fiesta SE HB because of the SFE pk and you can get a moonroff etc; as you can't in the Focus. I have to step up to the SEL HB to get get lumbar, and some other stuff. I never use the backseat in any of my cars and I don't care if they fold flat or not.The Fiesta is about 3k cheaper than the SEl Focus .
    Now, the TDI Golf has every thing the Fords do not offer except ,if you get a moonroof I think you have to get navigation also. and the price is maybe $2300.00 more than the Focus.
    Now, the Fiesta acording to the dealer w/SFE will get me 40mpg, the Focus 36 mpg I can't get anything out of Mazda on their Sky engine dieasal for milage or price.Oh, I forgot I don't care about rear seat room. Oil is $85.38 a barrell today ,but I wouldn't put much stock in it.
    Lastly, I was driving home @ and stopped at a dealers lot and they left a Mini unlocked and I sat in it and it fit like a glove,however I locked my self in it and it was dark out so I called the police and they got me out. They saw my purple heart plates and one was a Marine so they laughed at the situation. I like the Mini, but living in snow country forget it.
    Ok, which car would you buy,bearing in mind diesal cost 50- 60 cents more a gallon?Also, we just got a new governor that has changed the car tax system as no one pays MSRP. So forget bringing the sticker to pay your excise tax and sales tax.Excise tax is $50..00 a thousand of cars value and sales tax is5 %. Thanks Puffin
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    You've picked three good ones there. I'll offer up a possible fourth. Kia Rio 5. It's brand new this year, 39 mpg, 5-door hatch. I'm 6'4" and can fit in it!

Best of luck with whatever you get.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    I currently have a 2010 Fusion Sport. 40K on the clock, Car runs great, handles great, rides great, but Fuel economy sucks. 21.6 MPG. Now that it is out of warranty, of course something broke. The drivers door handle cracked where the spring is, and apparently this is a common thing from 2006 on. You would think they would have improved that.

Just in daily driving to and from work, we spend about $90 a week in gas. I'm considering downsizing to a Focus, if it gets 32 MPG in DD, that would save us roughly $118 a month in gas alone. If I get it for $450 a month or less then I would be saving an additional $50+ a month. We put on 500 miles a week to and from work plus what ever weekend driving we do. At a minimum $168 a month savings might be seen, but going down a size in the car, plus we have 2 car seats in it, I am not sure if it is worth doing. Our family car, when we go out with the whole family is a 2010 Flex, and that is a great car, but it gets 18 MPG, so it is even more expensive to drive daily, But oh so much fun, its Ecoboost, and QUICK!

What kind of MPG can I expect in rural driving, mixed of Country highways and city? As a comparison, a 2009 Camry Hybrid got us 38 MPG, and a Prius 53 MPG. I like driving the Sport, but the FE on it is just not that good.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,678
    What Fusion do you have 4 or 6?

21.6mpg is about exact for the average EPA on the 6...if you have the 4cyl and you're getting 21.6mpg...that's like the city mpg.

So I'd compare what you get now compared to the Focus EPA.

Fusion 4cyl @ 21.6mpg (you're getting city mileage) = Focus 27mpg (city)
    Fusion 6cyl @ 21.6mpg (you're getting average) = Focus 31mpg (average)

I used http://www.fueleconomy.gov for these calculations/comparisons.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,048
    He says it's a Sport. That is a 6 cyl.
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,221
    The Fusion Sport is a 6 cyl but not the more common 3.0L. It's the 3.5L instead.
    I know....your point?
    Sorry, didn't realize the 'sport' was more than an emblem or pin-striping...the way they used to add 'Sport' to Chrysler mini-vans :)
    It's the whole package on this one. Suspension, seats, handling, engine, trans. It used to get over 23 MPG then I replaced the tires with ones that actually grip the road, and it dropped.

I test drove the Focus, and the back seat doesn't look like it will cut it. I have two kids still in car seats, one in a booster, and the leg room is too tight for either of them, my son would have to curl his feet to keep them off the seat back. Other than that the car drove rather well, though the engine is loud, and it is a bit of a slug compared to what I drive now, but is something to take with a grain of salt considering the difference in MPG. The other thing I did have a problem with is the center console, my knee presses right against it, and to alleviate that I had to move the seat back a bit, which used up more rear leg room. I was considering the Titanium package, the one I test drove was an SEL base, so maybe the seat would be a bit more adjustable in the Titanium. I still have to put the car seats in and see how the kids fit before writing it off. If this doesn't work, I could always look for a used Fusion Hybrid.
  • Acdii, how tall would you say you are? Would you call yourself a long-legged dude (or dudette)?

Thanks.
    It's rough getting kids in a car seat without their feet landing on the back of the chairs.

I think it's the child seat angles they have...the kids are tilted back a bit- as opposed to sitting upright. Even the upright boosters end up on the back on my car seat (IS350)...little legs can't bend so they stick straight out :) I had that in every car i've owned.

Do they 'fit' in your Fusion?
    My point is that you only told him the Sport is a 6cyl. There are several EPA ratings for the Fusion and only the base I4 and base V6 were listed in the post you replied to. Stating that the Sport is just a 6 cyl didn't help the OP at all and I was clarifying your information for the OP.

How was I supposed to know that you knew the Sport had the 3.5L V6 when you didn't take the time to tell us?
    edited September 2011
    I guess I didn't think it really mattered that much to the discussion. It would only make about a 1mpg difference in the avg v6 epa rating versus the smaller v6. Should have been more clear. Sorry.
    I think the original email said it was a 2010, but no harm.

I think he'll get the 'average' mpg for a Focus.
    They fit fine in the Fusion, which was one of the selling points of the car for me. I currently have my dealer looking for a similarly equipped Fusion Hybrid in my price range, as I wrote off the Focus due to the back seat issues.
    "I guess I didn't think it really mattered that much to the discussion. It would only make about a 1mpg difference in the avg v6 epa rating versus the smaller v6."

I guess if you look at it in terms of raw numbers it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. The way I look at it though is that when you have a Sport you're likely going to flog it more than the base V6 which hurts FE even more than the numbers tell you. If you're not flogging it more then you should have bought something else. ;)

So yeah, if you trade a Fusion Sport in for a Focus you gain FE but lose the fun factor. If you still want FE, some fun factor, and good comfort then the Fusion I4 is for you IMO.
  • FEHarperFEHarper Posts: 70
    edited September 2011
    I have recently purchased a Ford Fusion 2012, Titanium pkg, after owning 4 VWs, all great handling German cars with good mileage. I prefer the Fusion - better handling - this thing is quiet, corners beautifully with virtually no body lean, gets remarkable good gas mileage - 27 in town, and is SMART. I may be in the minority, but I love the Myfordtouch, sync interface and after some practice, feel like I have a woman who loves me in the dash. The interface is menu driven, a little more complex than is really necessary, but works. Voice recognition works fine but requires familiarity with the commands and when and how to respond (this is critical) - should not a real problem for anyone who can operate a smart phone. Performance for a small 4 cylinder is remarkable as well - just keep it in sport mode. I know the back seat has been a REAL issue for this forum - a little tight, but it depends on who is in the front seat as to how roomy it is. The automatic parallel parking works as advertised - fits into the smallest of spaces without a problem.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    I think you meant Focus, not Fusion.
  • because you talk about the back seat room issue, FEHarper, I also believe that you are talking about the Ford Focus that you bought. Not the Ford Fusion. Thanks for the input nonetheless!

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

If you found it quiet, then the VW must have really been noisy. I found the Focus a bit loud, but everything else you mentioned is pretty much like it is. It hugs the curves with nary a roll.
  • Whoops - correct, I meant Focus - so much for late night posts!
  • Well, I just wanted to offer up an opinion on the 2012 Focus.

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Hatch. Currently at the local Mazda dealer (also a Ford dealer) for an electrical issue covered by warranty...

I've had 4 rentals each time the M3 has been there:
    2011 Ford Fusion (in my opinion, a piece of :sick: )
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria (leathered out cop car)
    2011 Mercury Grand Marquis (same thing)
    2012 Ford Focus SEL 5 door

I'm pretty impressed by the Focus. Drives very well, holds the road, and even in the basic SEL trim (no other options except power moonroof), it's a pretty decent car. Lots of equipment (basic SYNC stereo, dual zone AC, power win/lock/mirror) and mostly easy to use.

Three issues I've had that would keep the Focus off the shopping list... Two are a Ford fix and the other is just getting used to it...

BIG ISSUE - the "sport" 6 speed automatic transmission with shift buttons. When in 'drive', the transmission goes into upper gears too quickly - you're in 2nd gear before you cross an intersection from stop. Sometimes, the transmission lurches into gear and it doesn't shift smoothly. This is a Ford fix - they need to reprogram the controllers to not shift so soon.

Minor issue - the Cruise control. With My Mazda, I turn the cruise on or off with a button, and it's always ready, in "stand by" until I set a speed. With the Focus (with every Ford I've recently driven) the cruise control system shuts off each time you shut the engine off. I have to push the control to turn the system "ON" each and every time and THEN I get to set speed. Ford, can you please just have an "on/off" setting for the cruise, instead...? Just like My Mazda, My 2001 PT Cruiser, My mom's 2002 PT Cruiser and our 1994 Town & Country van...?

Third issue - have to get used to it - there are WAY TOO MANY buttons, levers, switches and controls on the steering wheel. There are 2 four point controllers with an "OK" button in each - one controls instrument panel display (trip computer, mileage controls, etc.) and the other is for the center console display (setting radio & other functions). Then, on each side of the wheel, there is another 4 way rocker switch - one for the cruise control, one for the radio controls, with a pull "paddle" behind each (cruise is for resume, radio is for voice recognition of SYNC system). There are just too many buttons covering too many functions right there and they're not the easiest to use at first.

Other than those few things, the Focus is a good car and a great value for the money. From what I've read, stay away from the MyFord Touch system (the bigger touch screen system) for the radio & AC, plus GPS. And there are others that have commented on the transmission shifting issues - with many dealers responding that it's just a "learning curve" - but it's still an annoyance. :confuse:
    The transmission is different - it's a dry clutch system with two manual transmissions linked together. Most of the problems seem to go away after 1000 miles or so. The dry clutch design makes the tranny smaller and more fuel efficient but it's not as smooth as the wet clutch system. And I'm sure the programming is biased towards mileage.

Maybe they will come out with new logic that will make it feel smoother. You can put it in S mode (still automatic) and it will hold gears longer and downshift sooner - that makes it better for some.
  • I really doubt Ford will reprogram the tranny for more agressive shifting, especially right now with the focus on fuel mileage.

I'm a bit more interested in the back story. Did they simply toss the Focus at you? Or did you specifically request it? I'd be surprised that they're using the Focus as loaners, given the supposed shortage and high demand. The SEL is especially hard to come by.

Maybe Ford finally overcame the supplier hiccups that were hurting production. I am finally seeing more of them on the road now-- probably about 3 or 4 per week, compared to 1 per week less than a month ago.
  • I read your comments about the Myfordtouch with interest. This un-needed and complicated technology is keeping me from buying Ford. According to JD Powers, others agree. I always wanted my computer to be as reliable and user friendly as my car, now Ford has made the car as user-unfriendly and unreliable as the computer. To me, this is a step backward and the only advantage seems to be in advertising.
  • Jim,

You have valid concerns, and there is a simple fix: don't get the technology. Ford mytouch is only built until the higher trim level (the Focus Titanium). Mytouch is optional with the lower trims (SE and SEL).

There seems to be a growing misperception that mytouch is standard with all Ford models.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,816
    Has anyone gotten the $50 rebate to test drive a Focus? The website someone gave me in here doesn't work and since we want to test drive the Focus and the Fiesta, might as well get the $50 to do so. Any help would be appreciated! :) I am,

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

edited September 2011
    Can you get everything that is offered in the Titanium as options on the SEL not including mytouch of course? If not, then what if one wants a Titanium version but doesn't want the electronic goblins? I have a feeling it's not even just mytouch but also the SYNC that a lot of people don't like and that is standard on the SE and SEL, no? I really don't know for sure.

I feel his pain as I really don't like sunroofs. I don't like the lost headroom or the initial and potentially follow on expense. However, it's impossible to get the high end versions of many cars without getting the sunroof in the "package" so I pay my dime and put up with them but don't like it.
    Sync is fine. It's MFT that has issues, although the latest version seems to be quite stable. A totally new version rewritten from scratch will be here in a few months.

Some people just aren't going to like this type of interface. I expect some minor tweaks but the basics will still be there. You can still get a loaded SEL without it and add the handling package yourself.