Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    edited May 2011
    You're right. Even w/ no rear leg room (by American std), the Accord was the best selling car in America! That's b/c America is the most wasteful country w/ very high percentage of drivers not using the carpool lane.

So the new Focus will be a selling success here after people test drove it.

Maybe it was about 9 yrs ago when I traveled to Asia. They happened to have a prettier version of the Sentra which was stylish enough to be an Infiniti, while our Sentra was fugly (& still is today). I was wondering if that would hurt their Maxima's sales. Well, they carpool a lot, so they need to buy the Maxima anyway.
  • markus5markus5 Posts: 102
    edited May 2011
    Last week, I saw a very stunning New Focus silver SE Hatchback model in the parking lot of my Gym. I pulled my '04 zts Focus right along side, which gave me an opportunity and a perspective which was not available to me at the dealership visit last month. ( for some reason cars look better in the environment than they do in a showroom or dealers' back lot)
    From the standpoint of replacing my '04 ( it feels & drives exactly like new at over 100K, remarkable), I had become quite concerned that the new car had appeared small in that first encounter. Casual observations recounted in this blog space had bolstered that original impression.
    Now looking at the two vehicles side by side, my old one did have a few more inches of length over the Hatchback, but in every other quality of a vehicles' "presence", this new model showed me more heft. The latest reviews I have read and seen on PBS's Motor Week also seem to confirm my emerging perspective, that Ford which after all spends millions on Marketing Studies, may have their Focus just right.
    edited May 2011
    The new Focus is super wide @ 6ft, while the ZTS is only 5'7" wide -- a big difference in bulk that small-car drivers might not get used to.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 573
    edited May 2011
    Amen. I'm 6'1" and 210 pounds and can comfortably sit behind myself in the new Focus. Roomy? No, but certainly acceptable for a compact sedan. After reading the comments here I was shocked I was able to fit very well behind the driver's seat (which was adjusted for myself). Easily as large as my old A4 that I regularly hauled 4 adults in and plenty of size for me and most people in the market for a compact sedan.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    edited May 2011
    Granted I'm only 5' 9" (ish), but I'm rather long of leg for someone my height; when I set the front seat for my preferred driving position in my Mazda3 (all of the way back, height medium, seat-back raked back only a few degrees) and then sit in the rear I have an easy two inches between my knee caps and the back of the front seat. When I do the same in the 2012 Focus (all of the way back as well) my knee caps are firmly implanted in the seat in front of me; not even remotely comfortable.

If I was 6' 1" and had the same proportions as I do now (i.e. same inseam to height ratio) there's no way I'd even be able to sit in the rear of the Focus even for a short trip.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 573
    edited May 2011
    If I was 6' 1" and had the same proportions as I do now (i.e. same inseam to height ratio) there's no way I'd even be able to sit in the rear of the Focus even for a short trip.

That is amazing. My inseam is 34" and I had no problem sitting in the back seat of a 2012 Focus yesterday. I actually checked it out because of so many here called it "unusable". :confuse:

The rear seat legroom is very similar to my former 2000 Audi A4 1.8T and 1992 Honda Accord LX sedan. It's fine for full-size adults on short trips or kids on any trip. If I was hauling around 4 full-size adults all the time, I wouldn't be in the market for a compact seden.
    I couldn't fit in the rear of the 2000 A4 either and didn't buy one as a result. It blows my mind that you could get in back there; then again, even though I'm an easy four inches shorter than you, my inseam is just over 36", which might well explain the difference.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    No offense meant, but someone 5'9" with an inseam over 36" is rather rare. I'm 5-10 and my inseam is only 31". So to say a backseat is unusable because you don't happen to be comfortable in it is stretching it don't you think? You mentioned that Ford should meet the market or something like that but I don't see how they can design a car to fit everyone equally given extremes in body shapes.
    edited May 2011
    Excuse me but I don't think a 36" inseam is all that rare, especially among taller than average women; women tend to be leggier than men for any given overall height.

Compared to the competition, the back seat of the Focus is unusable; in fact, even when compared to the previous generation Focus the back seat is still unusable. Were it not for the fact that there are a number of other cars out there in class with significantly more room I might agree with you that there's nothing wrong per-se, with how Ford configured the new car; that they failed to meet their competition is inexcusable.
  • spyderonespyderone Posts: 54
    You have made your point very well known that the back seat is unusable, but that is your opinion and for your needs. It will however work for million of others. I thought it was fine. It would be almost impossible for a manufacturer to design ONE vehicle to fit everyone's needs because everyone's needs are different. If this vehicle doesn't work for you look at a Fusion or any other brand or model that will work. Some people think the interior is not up to par, others think it is great. Some may think it is too big whereas others think it is too small. Different opinions, different tastes
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    Finally test drove a Focus. Quick observations.

Handles very well. Fun to drive. Better than my Accord.

Feels slow, but it was an automatic and I am used to a stick. I am sure the stick would feel fine.

Interior materials are OK. I prefer more straightforward ergonomics - not buttons trying to look like an old cell phone.

Seats were comfortable. Better room in back than I expected. I would put it as the same as a Mazda 3, better than a Cruze, but a little worse than a Civic (has more headroom than Civic though), way more room than a Fiesta which is tiny. I am 6' and could sit behind myself. Not stretch out room like my Accord but doable. My 3 sons are 6' - 5'4, all are still growing and the oldest is a Freshman, so they probably wouldn't want to take a Focus on a long trip.

I agree that if this car had a skoosh more rear leg room it would be more appealing. Right now it is border line. If it was 2 inches longer and had all that extra space as rear legroom I would be all over it. Especially in a hatch with a stick.

I like the way the Jetta added so much leg room, but the kind of goofed with the rest of the car.
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    Rear legroom listings - inches (from Edmunds):

33.2 2012 Focus

38 Versa

35.4 Cruze

36.1 2011 Focus

36.2 Mazda3

33.1 Elantra (sedan)

35.1 Jetta (wagon)

38.1 Jetta (sedan)

35.5 Golf

36.2 Civic

36.3 Corolla

35 Forte

35.9 Lancer

33.5 Impreza

17.1 Celica

Based on the above, it's pretty apparent that it's fair to criticize the 2012 Focus as having abnormally tight rear legroom. A few of the other numbers stand out. The Elantra is just as bad, though there were prior postings here observing that the Elantra seemed to have more room. I posted my celica just for kicks (perception is everything!).

This was prompted by my recalling that I rented a Versa with a child seat around a year ago and didn't think the rear was tiny at all. Surely, thought I, if a sorta-C-segment like the Versa is sufficient, then the Focus would be no problem. As evident from the numbers, the Versa actually has freakishly generous legroom for its size.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Excuse me but I don't think a 36" inseam is all that rare, especially among taller than average women; women tend to be leggier than men for any given overall height.

You didn't have to say "excuse me" like you were offended because I said that I in no way meant my comment in an offensive way. Yes, I do think that an inseam of over 36" is rare for someone that is 5'9" tall. Even for a women. There are probably plenty but not common or average by any degree especially as a percentage of population.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Numbers can be misleading. You really need to sit in the car to see if it meets your needs. The inches of legroom don't mean a thing if your feet are pushed up against the front seat, or if there's no room under the front seat for your feet. Those are both common problems in cars. Knee room (as reported in the official measurements) might be just fine, but then your knees are up in the air because there's insufficient toe space or the front seat bottom contacts your ankles before your knees do.

This is what I found to be true of the Focus. Knee room was sufficient for me sitting behind myself (5'10", 32" inseam) but my legs were not comfortable because my ankles were pressed into the front seat before my thighs were well supported--i.e. "knees up in the air". The Cruze was worse than the Focus here, the Mazda3 no better, and cars like the Elantra, Jetta, and Versa much better (with the Versa offering the best rear legroom, almost limo-like despite its short length). So comparing "rear seat leg room" for, e.g. Focus and Elantra is really meaningless unless the numbers are much different (e.g. Focus vs. Versa). In the case of Focus vs. Elantra, there's a huge difference for me in rear seat comfort, because I can comfortably rest my thighs on the rear seat before my ankles are stopped by the front seat.

So... go check out the back seats for yourself. Don't rely only on the numbers.
    ... not buttons trying to look like an old cell phone.

I knew there was something familiar about the center stack controls!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,407
    The legroom numbers on Edmunds are just from the manufacturers, and they all measure slightly differently. If I want to compare numbers I look at Consumer Reports. The same people measure every car the same way. This makes for a valid comparison.
    If you just want to compare numbers and not compare how the cars actually feel to actual riders, sure.
    edited May 2011
    being able to stretch forward w/ your heels not aft of your knees is another.

Having better steering feel w/ the ride comfort sacrificed is no big deal, but having both better steering AND better ride comfort is something. & the Elantra trails the new Focus badly in these areas.

Anyway, the new premium-price Focus is so good in BOTH driving pleasure & comfort that it's got the balls to lose the leg room for back-seat drivers. Other compacts have to bribe buyers w/ limo-like room in the back, such as the Versa trying to compete w/ the xB?

Look how high the prices are on the A3, 1-series, IS250... Do they got rear leg room? No. So why can't the new $30k Focus do the same? B/c the name "Focus" isn't good enough to compete w/ them? Again, that's Americans' opinion :P

Since the the 1-series was introduced over 1/2 a decade ago, a British car magazine was comparing it to the Golf & Focus in a group test. But in America, magazines are comparing the new $30k Focus to the Elantra? Why not comparing the new quiet Focus to the quiet Toyota Altezza (IS250)?
    The mags are comparing the $20-25k Focus to the $18-23k Elantra. So not as big a difference as you might think.
    edited May 2011
    Comparing base on price?

You wanna know why that Euro car magazine was comparing the newly introduced 1-series hatch & the newly introduced Mk5 Golf to the "20th Century design" Mk1 Focus hatch in 2004?

The Focus platform actually gave birth to the other 2 cars! VW hired the original Focus engineer to design the Control Blade 4-link suspension for the Mk5 Golf. BMW was considering using the Focus platform but ended up designing a 5-link suspension w/ similar principle for the current 3-series & 1-series.

What does the new Elantra & the new Focus have in common other than being FWD? :P

W/o multi-links, the roomy Elantra is actually more similar to the new Jetta, the Corolla & even the Lexus ES sedan.