Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    Based on what I read from reviewers I was concerned about learning to use MyFord Touch. It's much easier than I expected. I have an iPod and a finger drive with all my cd's loaded on it in the two usb drives. I have read about some folks having issues with the system re-booting, going blank and having to return to the dealer for a re-flash, I have not had any of those problems. The touch screen is very responsive and the steering wheel controls are easy to use once I figured out how to use them, which makes it easy when driving.
    Congratulations! Sounds like the same car I have but in Sterling Grey. Of all the cars you listed, you made the best choice. With only 500 miles on my car I'm getting 30+ city and 37+ highway mpg's. Overall combined, that's as good as a hybrid, for a lot less.
    I got mine by requesting a brochure through the Ford web site. The discount coupons are model and customer specific and it also seems that if you answer other than I will be buying in the next 3 months (or something like that) you will not receive a discount coupon with your brochure. I don't remember the actual expiration date on mine, but I believe it's three months from the date of the request to promote more immediate sales.
    I don't understand why I have to explain myself regarding something I didn't mention in my earlier post. A quick look at the Ford web site will show the 5-speed manual is standard on the S and SE models and the PowerShift 6-speed automatic transmission is available as an option on the SE.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    Yeah, I've seen quite a few. They tend to be on the short 15-30 second side it seems and are fairly easy to miss.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    I went and test drove a 12 Focus, I did not buy, as I wanted to just gain more information.before and after the drive, I made it lear I was not buying just learning and gathering information. There was no problem and the dealer was willing to let me and my wife to take it alone. But we asked for a sales person so we could fully grasp all the stuff on the dash.

Two weeks later we were asked totake this survay. At the end of the survay was a $ 500. coupon for purshasing a Focus.

I personally found the Focus too small for us because we have grandchildren visit, and we take them fishing. Either the kids or the fishing stuff would not be able to go.

There were lost of buttons that dis all kinds of things, the dash looked cheap, the seats were nice but a tad too small for us. Over all the Focus is better than any small car I have seen, but at a much higher price that I would pay.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    edited May 2011
    which is not what you expected from a "Focus".

Why would Ford do this to you?

Take a look at the BMW 1-series. It's nearly as expensive as the 3-series, but w/ much less rear leg room plus a more spartan interior. That's b/c the 1-series is really a 3-series shrunken down. So pretty much everything is just as complicated, & thus hardly any less expensive to build.

The new Mk3 Focus is also a shrunkened Mondeo, which is the fanciest sedan from "Ford of Europe". You can't even buy one here at any price, & can only dream of owning one (since 2007)... :P
  • cigdogcigdog Posts: 1
    SE 5-Door Auto Transmission 203A PG Sport PG Red Candy

MSRP 22170

OTD 21853

MA State
  • griswaldgriswald Posts: 33
    Went for a test drive to try out the stick. I'm 6ft 2in tall and had not driven a manual for years so I was interested in how the Focus would pan out. I was very pleased with the driving experience and the out the door price here in Canada. I'm now looking forward to picking up a new silver one Tuesday - yeah!
  • podpod Posts: 176
    I am officially a luddite and tend to avoid a lot of the "new and wonderful" electronic options since I hardly ever take my eyes off the road for anything. Two offering strike me as bizarre. The auto parallel park seen a some Focus ads make the ad seems like a parody. Does anyone really need this, especially with such a small car? Could it be used on a crowded city street (where it may be helpful for the few)? Wouldn't you set off a riot in the drivers held up behind you while the car does its machinations? Are you in the car or standing clear? Does insurance cover "things the car does on its own"? The most offensive to me is the Ford push for "Touch" systems which by definition require that you take your eyes off the road to read labels and menus, etc. I couldn't think of a more unnecessary and ill-chosen type of system. It requires that you take your eyes off the road. Or am I wrong? I am very happy with the buttons and dials on my 2010 Milan whose positions are memorized quickly. The electronic steering on the new Ford cars seems very sensitive near the straight ahead position and I have found only a second or two of inattention can result in a lot of lane shift. It seems much more sensitive than the older ford hydraulic systems. That's okay but requires eyes on the road discipline.
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Luddites of the world unite!

Seems like everything they come up with that the car can do FOR you adds another thing to the list of things that people think you don't have to be able to do.

Daytime running lights started the list of things I think shouldn't have been done. The evidence? Take a look at the number of cars driving around at night with just DRLs on as if they were headlights.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    edited May 2011
    That's why they added automatic headlamps... for the idiots who can't figure out how to turn on their headlights. ;) At least with the DRLs you can see them. I see lots of folks out after dark with no lights at all... must have just come from a parking lot.

Just try to use the automatic parallel parking feature on your driver's test though!
    edited May 2011
    I am very happy with the buttons and dials on my 2010 Milan whose positions are memorized quickly.

Yeah, but those idiots probably can't memorize them anyway. So what's the difference...

Ford thought they have discontinued the volume-seller inexpensive roomy Focus (& replaced it w/ an expensive cramped "Ford Probe 4-dr coupe"), so they need to offer all those electronic gadgets (even including self-steering anti-lane-departure in some foreign markets ) in order to capture additional sales from idiots w/ no driving skill.

But then, by my standard, even drivers who can't enjoy stick are pretty unskillful.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Posts: 4,116
    he auto parallel park seen a some Focus ads make the ad seems like a parody. Does anyone really need this, especially with such a small car? Could it be used on a crowded city street (where it may be helpful for the few)? Wouldn't you set off a riot in the drivers held up behind you while the car does its machinations? Are you in the car or standing clear?

Focus Active Park Assist

So the way these guys work is you activate the system and it scans for a parking spot. Once it finds one, it has you stop take your hands off the wheel, put the car in reverse and control the speed with the gas and brake. Once it backs up as far as its willing to, it has the driver shift to drive and again control gas and brake. If its a really tight spot it keeps going back and forth a few times.

I guess the advantage is that it will find a spot that is smaller than most would be willing to try on their own. Its not totally autonomous since the driver is still controlling the gas and the brake.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    edited May 2011
    It's really cool to watch the clutch pedal and the stick shift swinging around on their own. :P
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    It's really cool to watch the clutch pedal and the stick shift swinging around on their own.

Yeah, in a parallel universe! :P

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    I'm a semi-luddite, though I'll have to try mytouch out myself to get a better idea. IMO, I don't think the concept itself is flawed. If it all works as planned, why is looking at digital controls on the console any different from looking at the center stack? But that's the problem of course. Everything I've read seems to suggest that Ford didn't execute very well.

As for the auto-park, I don't per se have a problem with the tech; it seems like a strange feature for the low/mid level Focus. I'm not exactly sure who it's targeting. Young drivers who generally suck at driving skills? But how could the young driver afford the expensive option? Maybe the older crowd with failing senses?
    edited May 2011
    Actually, the auto park option is a very attractive feature, especially if it's available on an inexpensive stripped Focus, even w/ stick. You still have to move the clutch pedal & shifter yourself.

This system can detect exactly how close your bumpers next to the obstacles as well as not having your tires touching the curb through out the whole process.

But of course, all drivers should go through enough driver's training w/o using this feature or the stability control on slippery surface.
  • mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    Should probably disable the power brakes and steering too!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    edited May 2011
    "Actually, the auto park option is a very attractive feature, especially if it's available on an inexpensive stripped Focus, even w/ stick. You still have to move the clutch pedal & shifter yourself."

Ummm, my comment about watching the stick and the clutch pedal move on their own was in jest, and unless I missed something, not possible on a car sold into the North American market. Why? Because the "Parking Technology Package" is only available on cars equipped with the automatic transmission. Said another way, the parking package is only available on the SEL and Titanium models, both of which are only offered in automatic trim.