Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• tina39tina39 Posts: 1
    Odour in the 2012 Ford Focus - I noticed in entry number 740 that the writer complains about a skanky stinky smell from the low quality plastic. Is there anything that can be done to alleviate this smell? I've contacted the dealership, but so far they will not take responsiblity. The dealership acknowledges the smelll but seems to thinka detailing outfit might be able to take care of it. I haven't yet gone to a detailer. Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    Test drove an SE model this morning and was very impressed. While waiting for the sales guy, saw a SEL hatch with the stone leather in a blueish green color and it looked stunning with the 17" alloys...the leather seating surfaces were very comfortable and the power controls were just the icing on the cake...just what I need for my severe spinal issues. I must've sat in it for like 5 minutes just drinking it all in...I fell in love!

The SE was pretty smooth and it accelerated with a nice growl...getting up to speed was quite easy and the brakes were pretty linear in their stopping ability...almost no pedal fade, they stopped the car smoothly with not much dead travel in the pedal...was quite impressive! Unfortunately, their test drive course doesn't give one a chance to really put the car through it's paces...that will require a longer drive in a model we'd purchase. The fabric was just o k, the leather was much more comfortable. The Sync radio would be o k as long as it as bluetooth connectability. I never thought we'd ever consider a Ford product after our dismal histry with them, but this Focus I could own easily! Good job Ford

Have many more choices on our short list and our time frame is 8 months to a year unless something bad happens to her current Mazda 3s. But we do have a contender here with the Focus SE or SEL.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,663
    I really liked the Focus as well...never owned a Ford before (or any American car).

I had a tough time finding any vehicle with the 17" machined wheels (an option on the SE).

I really liked the SE with sport suspension (I don't think you can get it on an SEL); ideally with the 17" wheels.

The titanium looks interesting with the sports package...but I don't care for the 18" 5 spoke rims (looks 90's to me :) )

Strange thing...my wife and I drove the new beetle (the new man beetle) after the focus and both really like how it drove. Not to get into a 'versus' since this isn't the thread for it...but we're deciding between the two. No rush here either.

Ford has the advantage with the pricing. I should be able to get 3k off the MSRP price with rebates (VW at MSRP).
    edited November 2011
    Sat in one after the Focus yesterday and really wasn't impressed...liked the Jetta SE much better! We had a couple of Lincoln's when I was young as well as Cadillac's and the Caddy's were a better car I think. the only Ford we had was a 1072 Torino Grand Sport and it was a piece of ****! Couldn't make it a couple of miles from the dealership on the 1st day & had to be towed back where they kept it for an additional week to figure out what was wrong. They gave us a brand new Mustang to drive, which really was a nice car...we should've just kept it! We were basically a GM family and they never missed a beat while my grandparents lover Chrysler, especially the Imperial which they bought every 2 years like clockwork through the family business. The business also leased my mom a Caddy every couple of years also, except for the '66 & '72 Lincoln Continental...all barges if you'd ask me but they loved 'em all.

Not sure we'll end up with the Focus but I personally loved the SEL hatchback model...sweet ride. Once I get the wife to drive one, we'll know if it'll stay on the short list. Our time frame is 8 to 12 months right now since we just replaced the sneakers on her current ride. But a very impressive car the Focus! Drove the SE and was pleased, have owned only foreign brands since '76 but this Focus could change the game for us!

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    The SEl has lumbar support. The only drawback for me is that the seats ar e not multi level heated . :sick:
    Add Cooled seats...then we have something interesting... :shades:
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    edited November 2011
    I bought an '05 Focus ST during winter, then later noticed the sickening plastic smell coming out from the dashboard fan after the car has been exposed to warm sun light. The dealer said it's just "normal new car smell".

I then test drove an '06 Focus ST & didn't noticed that smell. So I assumed that the later models no longer got this problem. I went ahead & traded it in for an '07 Focus ST. Initially it didn't have that smell, but later...

That was no "normal new car smell"! The car didn't smell like that when new; that smell developed after the car has been aged a little, then the smell never went away. It's not just a bad smell. Instead of getting used to it, I actually feel pretty sick the longer I lived with it!

Like my old Focus, the 2012 new Focus still has some of that smell as well as the noisy ventilation fan. This is a low-quality car manufacturer trying to build a premium car, & tried so hard to impress by offering the complicated MyFordTouch. :sick:

Even though the "Control Blade rear suspension" pioneered by the Focus rules, the Mazda3, Volvo C30/S40/V50 & Passat/A3/Golf (V & VI) have all adopted it.

Oh, by the way, the little Golf VI 2.5 not just inherited Focus' rear-suspension technology, but offering a more pampering longer front suspension travel as well.
    smell.

I noticed a smell on a new one...but assumed it was the packaging 'stuff' that is sometimes on the exhaust system (drove a G37 that almost chocked us to death...).

Are you saying that there is a continuous smell coming off the dash (or somewhere).

I hope you're not referring to the 'new car' smell...that is glorious...especially with leather :)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    My daughter's 2012 is 4 months old and has no such smell nor have I heard that complaint from anyone else.
    I alway order my cars w/ cloth interior. That "painful" smell kept sipping out from the dashboard, even when I dialed the vent air into heated air! It's not a new car smell, b/c it wasn't this strong when the car was new. The plastic must have starting to melt once exposed to heat such as sun light. This problem isn't so severe during winter months.

I do like some "new car smell" -- such as the interior vinyl from '70's VW: Super Beetle & 914 :D But that smell actually stayed w/ the car for many years.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,742
    You may have issues with bacteria in the vents. Spray some Lysol into where the air enters the HVAC system - probably at the cowl and the run the AC for a while to cirulate it.
    edited November 2011
    This is another issue w/ my '05-07 Focus. Right after I use recirculating w/ the A/C on, the mildew smell occurs pretty badly, & quite embarrasing since passengers will notice it.

This mildew smell takes quite some time to go away after the fresh (non-recirculating) air in "A/C-off mode" kept blowing through the system.

I can avoid this issue simply by not using the A/C & REC buttons the same time.

My '90 Protege had the exact same problem, but the factory service bulletin took care of it by replacing certain A/C part made of different material. Ford is no Mazda :sick:

The "sickening plasic smell from the dashboard" is a separate thing those of you in cold climate zones won't experience much. This problem is unavoidable unless I never park the car under sun light, which is impossible here in sunny California.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 700
    ???

The Focus has heated seats in the SEL, if you select the winter package. And they are multi-level.
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    I live in the Northwest. In the last 2 weeks I noticed 5, yes 5!! new Focus in my neighborhood. 1 SEL sedan, 1 SEL hatch, 3 SE Hatch. I have never seen so many new cars in this short of period. Looks like Ford hit a homerun with this rendition of Focus. Also read Honda is scrambling with the 2013 Civic interior and some updates to counter the Focus. Lets just hope Ford doesn't take their eye of the target and let the Focus fade. Give credit where credit is due.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Honda got caught flat-footed. Same with Toyota, I haven't heard word 1 about a 2012 Corolla. I'm considering the Focus and the Mazda3 SkyActiv right now, depending on how the Kugascape and CX-5 look when they arrive (and depending on when they arrive of course).

Mazda and Subie are the only ones keeping up with Chevy, Ford, and Hyundai in this class.
    Living in South Florida...that won't really be an issue. Did see an SEL hatch today in the dark gray flecked paint with the 17"alloys and it was nice but did prefer the 16" alloys with the aqua color much better...just brought out the lines of the car better. Sometimes darker isn't always better!

Yes, the leather was really nice in the SEL I sat in last week...it had a nice feel/smell to it. If the wife likes it above all the other compacts in the market within the next year, a Focus just might end up in our garage. And a Ford has not been in our family since 1976 when we got rid of the worst car we had ever owned hands town...a 1972 Torino Grand Sport...a total piece of garbage which broke down on it's 1st day of ownership, not even able to reach the 7 miles to our house. This new Focus must be good if even a die in the wool Ford hater would even consider it...and it is worth considering!!

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993
    edited November 2011
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2011 or 2012 Kia Optima, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus, Honda Fit, Honda Odyssey, Mazda 5, Subaru Outback, Dodge Durango, or Toyota Sienna. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks!

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I received a $50 rebate from ford all i had to do is test drive a ford focus and receive a form with a number on it. I went on line 7 weeks ago and did just that. When I called the Ford 800 # they told me they had nothing on file. FORD PRODUCTS ARE FOUND ON ROAD DEAD. Personally i think the dealer gave me false numbers. Heritage Ford.
    edited November 2011
    Did the same thing but my dealer gave me the wrong code...go figure...and were'nt even interested to call me back when I left word I got the correct code from Ford...shows how much they care about a potential customer huh! I spoke to a lady at Ford who gave me the correct code and it came back saying it had to verify it, but it did take it on the computer. So, I guess I'll get my $50 in a few weeks or so.

Ford, if ya run a promotion, ya gotta learn how to do it right! It ain't that hard now is it!