Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• joegiantjoegiant Posts: 90
    Have had ours about 4 months now w/several thousand on the odometer. We use it as a commuter 90% of the time. The onboard is reading 37mpg right now. 5 spd SE w/sport pkg FWIW. Really like this car. No complaints as yet.
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    I purchased the car with 5 miles on it and calculated that you get 3 point something gallons per 1/4 tank. So I divided at the 3/4 tank mark.

Dude that's a very inaccurate way to calculate mpg. Don't even worry about it for the first couple of tanks as the car breaks in a little and you get better at shifting. I'd start to worry after the 3rd tank.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,676
    Plus, It's normally more difficult with high mileage cars like this...even if you do the "drive till empty then refill and calculate" method.

If you refill a little latter or little sooner that tiny amount of gas will throw off the calculation much more than it would in a 10mpg car.
  • Right on. I'll be patient then. I appreciate your views.
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 701
    It took me until around the 5,000 mile mark before I started getting the advertised mileage. Up till that point, I was getting between 29-31 mpg on the highway.

Now, I'm getting 37-41 mpg at 65-70mph.
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    I specifically bought my Focus Hatch SE with the sport pkg, winter pkg, convience pkg, sunroof for the reason of having these options. The SE seats, interior trim is awesome. I get so many complments on my interior!. If Ford reads these they better not de-content the Focus only after 1 year. Ford is known for doing this and I was hoping they would learn by past mistakes and break the cycle. The sport pkg is great for those wanting to add some bling to the car. I am getting 35.2MPG average per the computer on my Focus SE automatic.
    Too late, they already removed the Sport Pkg and replaced it with the more expensive Appearance Pkg which forces you to get leather. Also removed the option of rain sensing wipers, auto dimming rearview mirror, and universal garage door remote.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    "The best driver's car here is the Ford Focus, hands down. The 2.0-liter I-4 is powerful - its 160 hp is tied with the Dart as the most powerful - and the chassis is rock-solid, which inspires confidence behind the wheel. "The supple ride quality, precise steering, and responsive brake pedal feel are all very good for a car of this class," said DeMatio. Thanks to the spot-on steering, the Focus was a breeze to wheel around town and easy to place in the middle of a highway lane, no matter how narrow or badly patched. The Ford's biggest demerit came from the company's new PowerShift dual-clutch automatic. Around town, the PowerShift is clunky and hesitant between shifts, and often hunts for the right gear at low speeds. Once on the highway (and in sixth gear), it's fine but overdrive gives little passing power. Thankfully, downshifts at speed are smooth and unobtrusive."

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1208_2012_2013_compact_sedan_compari- son/viewall.html#ixzz252XJPseM

& the Elantra doesn't really belong in this league, not even close:

"When our testing started, we expected the Elantra to rank highly here -- at first, the ride was comfortable and the Elantra felt like an ideal commuter car. The more time we spent with the Hyundai, though, the more its wallowy ride on the highway, its poorly controlled body motions in the twisties, and harsh impacts on broken roads worked against it. Sessions also noted that "the steering lacks feel and is rather numb." Everyone came away unimpressed with the Elantra's" dynamics."
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    I checked the build list for a 2013 Focus and the sport pkg is gone!!??? What the He.. is Ford thinking?? The sport pkg with the two tone seats/nickel trim pieces inside, 16" wheels ect.. is one reason I chose the Focus. First year and Ford starts to decontent the Focus??? Not a good move Ford... LISTEN to the consumers and NOT the bean counters..

Focus is set to unseat the Corolla as #1 seller. I cannot believe people even buy the Corolla still. Its whole drive train is antiquated, styling is blah, interior is a joke.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,739
    Did you also notice they made the manual tranny available on the Titanium? That's the opposite of decontenting.
  • markus5markus5 Posts: 102
    This is interesting. Will this "option to delete" the dreaded automatic tranny lower the cost of the Titanium model by a thousand or more ?
    edited September 2012
    I almost bought a Focus w/ stability control over 10 yrs ago when it was the most high-tech compact around. Pretty soon, it was only the stupid American market that forced to shut down the AdvanceTrak (ESP) option (as well as HID headlights). & forget about these upgraded interior rest of the world were getting:

http://images.compucars.co.uk/112523/large/ford-focus-hatchback-petrol_7283687.j- - - - - pg

http://images.autoexposure.co.uk/SHD5090776/AETV53812646_4b.jpg

American consumers are too cheap to pay for these nice luxury equipments, especially on the new Focus III that lost adult-size rear leg room in the U.S. spec version.
    I have a 2012 Ford Focus with sport pack. There are NO 16" wheels on it.

There are 18" summer performance tires.
    If you have 18" wheels you do not have the "sport" package, which comes only with the SE trim. You have the "handling" package which comes only with the Titanium trim.
    The Sport Package on the SE is being replaced by the Appearance Package which is similar but more expensive since it forces you to get leather seats.

I wouldn't call that decontenting, but there is some decontenting going on for '13: the rain sensing wipers, universal garage door opener and 1 or 2 other things are gone.
    Leather slips, & that defeats the purpose of holding you in place. Having additional side bolsters to compensate will make ingress/egress inconvenient plus more wear, not to mention hotter sweatier during summer.

Anyway, I think the new Focus holds the road well enough even w/ only 16" wheels. The only equipment I like to add is ST's Recaro seats, which I sat @ the LA Autoshow & wouldn't leave :)

The truly sporty Toyota GT86 (Scion FR-S) only come w/ cloth seats in the U.S.
  • the transmission on this car has a mind of its own it stays reving when you let off the gas bucks allot like a stick shift and when you drive slowly to save gas it has zero acceleration power and rolls back on hills
    It is a manual... with a computer controlled clutch.

Actually, two clutches. It's not called a dual-clutch gearbox for nothing.

So, of course it rolls back on hills. Manuals do that.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Don't let any of the clutch-pedal purists hear you call a DCT (dual clutch transmission) a manual. They call it an automatic because it doesn't have a clutch pedal.

Actually, it isn't properly a manual. Manuals are manual. It's not an automatic either. It's a DCT. They're unique, as you've pointed out.
    They are more alike internally though. A DCT uses direct mesh gears just like a manual and it has a clutch instead of a torque converter.

It would be more accurate to call it a computer controlled manual as opposed to a driver controlled manual.
    So, of course it rolls back on hills. Manuals do that.

Some manuals have 'hill-hold' like the VW's...

Always one in the crowd :)
    It would be more accurate to call it a computer controlled manual as opposed to a driver controlled manual.

An automatic manual transmission; as opposed to some automatic transmissions that you can manually control the gears :blush:
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,736
    edited September 2012
    Is it an automatic with 2 pedals or a manual with 3 pedals? If it's a 2 pedal auto tranny, something seems strange. I know the Focus with the 2 pedal auto I drove a few months ago just didn't feel right...really felt the 5 speed auto in my Civic felt smoother. And this isn't the first post I've read where someone has complained about the auto in the Focus.

What gives...and does Ford have a fix in the works? I did really like the SEL hatch that I drove with the leather...but didn't like the auto tranny.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    It's a dual-clutchless automanualatic.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,736
    In cars for dummies terms, how many pedals are there?

The Sandman :confuse: :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Auto should always be 2...even if the tranny really is a manual being automatically controlled.

I love the auto/manual (is it?) debate...sort of like the "who's on first" routine :)
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,025
    Really should be no debate as they are both good. People should stop trying to shove either one down other people's throat. If someone wants one or the other I say just buy it and shut up.
    From a driver's perspective it's an automatic. But from a technical standpoint it's a computer controlled manual. The latter is important for understanding how it feels and how it works. There is no torque converter so the computer has to operate the clutch when you stop and go. The software is just now able to do it somewhat smoothly. The first ones in the Ferraris and other exotics were terrible. The software will continue to get better and better with each iteration. Ford has put out 2 new software releases that are supposed to make it smoother but it will never be as smooth as a torque converter. Also - the DCT that Ford used in the Focus is a dry clutch unit as opposed to a wet clutch unit which is smoother but more expensive and not as fuel efficient.

The tradeoff is fuel efficiency and faster manual shifting.