Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,955
    Prices for a model equiped the way I like it might approach a Base Level Mustang with almost twice the horse power. It will be tough to decide because I always wanted that American Icon

I hear you. I had a 1968 Mustang 2dr, 289 V8 with the a 3 speed stick on the floor(used to be called that as versus column) that I bought after my first stint in the military. I had been tempted by the new 2011 Mustang as well but after sitting in it and really thinking about driving it on a daily basis it just wasn't a good fit to my life. Plus living in Chicago area even with snows and traction control there are many winter days where driving it would be too much of an adventure if you know what I mean.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    I did read a review by Automobile Magazine (March I think) which to my knowledge is the first comparo of the new Focus and Elantra. They seemed impressed by both cars and in fact anointed them the top 2 cars in the class.
    Was that a comparo between just those two cars? I'll have to find it. From what I've read and after sitting in both I would tend to agree that they seem to have the most pluses and fewest minuses of the bunch.
  • Fellow Edmunders (ites?)

Been in the market for a sub compact lease and almost settled on a Cruze before the deal fell through. Given am already at the end of Feb and not in a tearing hurry to get equipped with a car, am happy to wait for the Focus 2012 to be available at dealerships (April?) as it sounds like a winner.

Wondering what you think Ford's strategy would be as far leasing is concerned - do you think I can expect some aggressive deals (with low MF and high RV) early on? The biggest thing am concerned about is whether banks would offer higher RV on the Focus 2012 taking note of the strides Ford has taken over the past few years.

Given these are likely going to fly off the dealerships, am hesitant about whether I would find reasonable lease deals during Focus 2012's early availability. Your thoughts?

Cheers.

Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot! Hot!

Ummmm.

The girls that sing that song really do the Hot! Hot! thing accurate and fast, was it Sista Sledge that did that song? Look at the hatch in silver. That's what's caught me, is the European-inspired looks of the 2012 Ford Focus.

I want to see more consumer driving views of this car, and it's not out yet. I read mid-February it will be in dealer lots. Hey, it's February 23, 2011, people! Anybody seen a '12 Ford Focus in a dealer lot yet? :D

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,210
    All good points on the competition guys and gals but they're off topic in relation to the start of the conversation. The question is will the OP's current choice of the Focus be swayed by a competing model in the next two years? I still say no because:

1. The new Elantra is out and the OP picked the Focus.
    2. The new Civic has been unveiled and still the OP picked the Focus. It's just a refresh, and a bad one, anyway.
    3. We all know the Corolla will be the same old melba toast car with a pointier nose. yeah, it'll still sell and we'll all continue to wonder why. :sick:
    4. The next Forte will probably be a refresh because I doubt Hyundai/Kia is now in the business of developing new platforms every 4 years (which is shared by the new Elantra BTW).
    5. The Mazda3 is the wildcard to me here. It could at least sway me from the Focus if Mazda gets back into the game with their styling but I just don't see it happening based on their showcars. The new Mazda5 is probably a good indication of what the 3 will look like soon.
    6. Does Mopar even make a small car anymore?
    7. Oh, almost forgot about the Cruze. Point proven for that one then. :P

I'll keep an open mind as the years go by too but I'm not seeing anything great on the horizon that would change the OP's mind.
    edited February 2011
    As far as the OP goes, you assume he has done a solid comparison against those other cars. I don't. It's possible he has but I try not to assume things. He may just not like the looks of the others which is a totally subjective matter.

I would probably agree that the Corolla will not challenge but again, do "we all know"? No, we don't. We can guess like you but we don't know.

Regarding Forte, I don't believe the only way you can drastically improve a car is by completely changing platforms. What if they substantially upgraded the suspension/handling and put in the 2.0T with 270+ hp. Probably would create a lot of excitement along with tweaks to the exterior and interior. Not a whole new platform but a lot different car. I'm not suggesting it would happen but, again, an open mind.

Glad you agree on the possibilities that Mazda3 may present in the near future.

Like it or not, Mopar is doing some good things right now with their new bosses from Fiat. Things are changing and Fiat has said they will introduce a new compact/subcompact models to Mopar.....no timetable though. I wish them the best as competition is a good thing.

Nothing wrong with the Cruze. Nice interior, decent looking and handles well, good mpg. Not quite as many pluses as the Focus IMO but still a nice car that could be made better given two years time.

As far as knowing whether the OP will change his mind over the next two years? I'll let someone with a crystal ball do that.

I will give you this though, IMO it is better than even odds that no better compact car will be available within the next couple of years.
  • leeswleesw Posts: 2
    CD’s short-take road test on the 2012 Focus is up. Their tests showed the 0-60 is 7.6 seconds with the automatic, which is darn good for a car that gets 37 mpg. I think unheard of for the C-segment. CD seems only mildly warm on the Focus, yet they raved over the current Mazda 3, which the Focus meets or exceeds in almost every category. Go figure.
    "As far as the OP goes, you assume he has done a solid comparison against those other cars. I don't."

I don't either. The OP said the Focus was his/her choice and no assumptions are necessary as that is a plain fact. The rest of my post did contain my assumptions on why the OP may have come to that decision. Since those are my opinion they really have nothing to do with the fact that the OP chose the Focus already. I was just providing food for thought.

"Regarding Forte, I don't believe the only way you can drastically improve a car is by completely changing platforms. "

I agree with you and Kia could do something drastic to make it an excellent car out of it. One thing keeps me from believing that will happen though. Hyundai/Kia still like the role of the bargain, bang-for-the-buck brands and it's getting harder for them to do that. For example, the new Elantra is a really nice car I have to admit. But A/C is an option on the base model (one of the two available trims). Really? In 2011 A/C is optional? Their cost cutting methods are getting more deperate so they can keep the quality of everything else on par with the competition and still keep prices down. An Elantra Limited is nearly identical in price to a 2012 focus SEL sedan all things being just about equal wiht features and specs.

Upping the game would hurt the bargain pricing they like to offer and I just don't see it happening in two years.

"He may just not like the looks of the others which is a totally subjective matter. "

Subjective, but totally relevent. However that is the one thing that does change through the years and is probalby the one thing that could make someone change their mind on what to buy over time especially if it is their only criteria for choosing.

"Like it or not, Mopar is doing some good things right now with their new bosses from Fiat."

I agree with you there. They still have too many "new" models that are the same old same old with new interiors though. A compact Fiat would probably be a worthy adversary to the Focus and its like given their European heritage.

"Nothing wrong with the Cruze. Nice interior, decent looking and handles well, good mpg. Not quite as many pluses as the Focus IMO but still a nice car that could be made better given two years time. "

There's also nothing really right about it either. It sits in the middle and knowing GM will stay there until it's time to change the name again. Cavalier, Cobalt, Cruze... The saga continues. Reminds me of Freestyle, Taurus X, Flex... (I currently drive a Flex BTW)

"As far as knowing whether the OP will change his mind over the next two years? I'll let someone with a crystal ball do that. "

That's one way to go about it. ;) I don't think anyone cares if the OP changes his/her mind but I can see how one would think that way. Obviously you and some others didn't and that's a valid argument too. I don't think it's right to say the OP should keep an open mind though because we don't know the criteria his/her choice was made on or what other factors may have been involved in the decision. Know what I mean?
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    edited February 2011
    Is yours w/ the Mazda developed 2.3? That's the only 2.3 Focus available w/ auto tranny, which is also made by Mazda.

Think about it. Like the Mazda3, it's got the Control-blade German-designed platform coupled w/ reliable Japanese-designed drivetrain -- can't think of a better car out there b/c the Mazda3 rides rough.

I don't consider the new Focus as a small car anymore, not w/ that 6-ft overall width. Too bad the Fiesta got no multi-links.

The Mustang is no comparison -- it still got Pinto's rear suspension...

I'm gonna keep my excellent '07 Focus ST 2.3 stick for a very long time. The only thing I don't like about it is the smelly dashboard when exposed to sun or heater.
    An Elantra Limited is nearly identical in price to a 2012 focus SEL sedan all things being just about equal wiht features and specs.

How do you figure that? An SEL sedan with leather, 17" alloys, and moonroof (all standard on the Elantra Limited) comes up as $23,380 MSRP in Edmunds' pricer. The Elantra is $20,700. This is without nav or the upgraded stereo on either car. Those don't look like nearly identical prices to my pocketbook.

As for the Cruze... I think there's a LOT that's right about it. Great interior quality, very quiet, economical, good blend of ride and handling. About the only demerits I see are vanilla styling (but not offensive), not a lot of power, and not the roomiest back seat in the group (but I don't know how roomy the Focus is in back).
    edited February 2011
    Disastrous! Forget about stretching your legs out. At least the sedan does not have the head room problem found in the Fiesta :sick:

The Golf VI, even the base 3-dr, got both comfy seating & room in the back.

The new Jetta got even more leg room in the back, but w/o a comfy chair (too low).

And as far as having a nice wide rear visibility for lane change, the upcoming chopped-top Golf VI might be the only car today...
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    edited February 2011
    This ain't your father's Ford Focus, gentlemen. I have both eyes and both ears wide open and perked up for this 2012 Focus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp3MU92WURo&feature=player_detailpage

"How do you figure that? An SEL sedan with leather, 17" alloys, and moonroof (all standard on the Elantra Limited) comes up as $23,380 MSRP in Edmunds' pricer. The Elantra is $20,700. This is without nav or the upgraded stereo on either car. Those don't look like nearly identical prices to my pocketbook.
    "

It's easy when you look at features the Ford has that the Hyundai doesn't. I see one thing the Hyundai has that you can't get on the Ford and that's heated rear seats. The Ford has things like dual-zone climate control, MyFord, more power without much sacrifice at the pump, automatic headlights, etc. You also had to add the SEL Premium pkg to get to the price you quoted and that added rain sensing wipers, reverse sensing system, and an auto dimming rearview mirror that the Elantra doesn't have. Those little things add up and, I would guess, keep the prices pretty even if all were equal. Everything isn't black or white right? ;)

So yeah, you can't get an equally equipped Focus for the price of an Elantra. That I won't argue. But each offeres different features at the same price and it's all up to the buyer to decide what they want at that price. I have two small boys so heated rear seats are useless to me unless they can somehow heat booster seats too. I avoided that option in our Flex for that very reason.

"As for the Cruze... I think there's a LOT that's right about it. Great interior quality, very quiet, economical, good blend of ride and handling."

OK, so yeah, that stuff is right about it and I should have chose my words better. But is any of it unexpected in this class of cars now? Did Chevy overwhelm you with any of those aspects of the Cruze?
    The problem is you MUST get all the extra stuff on the Focus SEL to get basic lux-trim features like leather interior, and the moonroof is extra cost. What if someone doesn't want dual-zone climate control (a funny concept in a compact car, IMO), MyFord-like features, rain-sensing wipers, etc.? You have to pay for them anyway. For nearly $24k, I would be looking at a mid-sized car rather than a compact.

But suppose you add to the Elantra Limited the Premium Package, which includes navigation system with 7-inch screen; rearview camera; 360-watt premium audio with external amplifier; automatic headlamps; proximity key entry with electronic push button start; and engine immobilizer. MSRP is $22,700. What is the lowest-price SES sedan with those features?

As for the Cruze, since it has the nicest interior in the class with the possible exception of the Focus, possibly also the quietest car in the class, and offers class-leading FE, I would say that did impress me if not overwhelm me. No compact car today overwhelms me. A Bentley or Ferrari would overwhelm me. (wink)
  • markus5markus5 Posts: 102
    edited February 2011
    Yes, 2.3 PZEV The '04 was the last year for the ZTS trim level and the old funky elliptical inspired interior & dash board. I think it is more integral with the exterior. I did get the upgraded rear suspension. It is still a fun drive everyday with very little diminishment of ride comfort at 100 k.

There is much "technical talk" in these posts, but I maintain that purchasing a vehicle is better done by the "seat of the pants", all other things being equal, (costs, comfort level w/ brand & dealer). You mention the "Pinto Suspension" of the Mustang. Well, I drove the new 6 cylinder Mustang last summer. Believe me, that feature was the last thing that came to mind. After cost and practicality, it is a matter of a personal feel. If it grabs you, go for it. For me, hopefully when the snows leave the area, I will be ready to be impressed and again hopefully fuel prices will not be so high that it would be a consideration in my decision.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "The problem is you MUST get all the extra stuff on the Focus SEL to get basic lux-trim features like leather interior, and the moonroof is extra cost. What if someone doesn't want dual-zone climate control (a funny concept in a compact car, IMO), MyFord-like features, rain-sensing wipers, etc.? You have to pay for them anyway. For nearly $24k, I would be looking at a mid-sized car rather than a compact."

The last time I configured a Focus SE (two weeks ago) you could in fact order the two-tone leather interior. Of course I want dual zone climate control, rain sensing wipers and the nice Sony audio system, and those features cannot be had if one wants a stick shift (SE only), even if it is a lame 5-Speed unit. So much for Ford's claims of this car being able to be had in the same flavors as the Europeans get (less the diesel of course).
    Yes, two-tone leather with the SE. The OP specifically talked about the SES sedan, however.

Automakers will never give Americans exactly what is available in Europe, because the vast majority of Americans won't buy a car with a stick. And most will buy an SUV before they'll buy a wagon or a hatch. At least we are finally getting the same Focus design that Europe has.
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp3MU92WURo&feature=player_detailpage

With only a natural aspirated 2.0 4-cyl, this car got one hell of nerve costing over $27k, no matter what name plate it's got.

Besides, "The steering is very direct. There's pretty good feedback through the wheel...for the average person, not the enthusiasts. Enthusiasts will want more feedback."

Go test drive an used Focus ST 2.3 sedan, or better -- the SVT (ST170 in Europe) 2.0 hatchback -- & feel the difference!

I know this new Focus is really a shortened version of the "Jame Bond" Mondeo not available in the U.S. at any price, but the only thing really got shortened is the rear leg room, not the price.
    "Yes, two-tone leather with the SE. The OP specifically talked about the SES sedan, however."

It matters not, the only new Focus that cannot be configured with Leather seating is the S Sedan.

"Automakers will never give Americans exactly what is available in Europe, because the vast majority of Americans won't buy a car with a stick. And most will buy an SUV before they'll buy a wagon or a hatch. At least we are finally getting the same Focus design that Europe has."

Sorry, I don't accept your reasoning. There are plenty of folks out there whom not only despise SUVs, but would also be more than happy to buy a nicely tarted up car roughly the size of the Focus with a manual transmission. If there weren't then BMW, Audi, VW, Mazda, and a number of others would have long since stopped selling their smaller offerings with a stick shift. That and Ford's own rhetoric (pre-release) said there would be no differences between the North American car and the European version (other than diesel of course).

While I applaud Ford's efforts with the Focus, I and absolutely disgusted they've chosen to limit the nicer versions of new car to autotragic transmissions. I mean geez, it isn't as if they have to certifiy a different drive train like they would with the Fusion V6 to offer a stick; it's the same freakin' mechanicals regardless of whether it's an S, SE, SEL, or Titanium.

For my part I'm already starting to look up market again; I really wanted to buy American and really thought the Focus would fit the bill, but it looks like either a GTI 6-Speed or even an A4 or 328i will be occupying my garage bay within the year.
    Sorry, I don't accept your reasoning.

Disagree all you want with my reasoning, but you can't argue with the facts of what people buy. People don't buy cars with manual transmissions much any more in the USA. If more people clamored for cars with sticks, that's what automakers would make because they want to sell cars. They don't create their product mixes by whim; they heavily research what people want in cars. Europe gets more cars with sticks because people there prefer them.
    Wow, that's a lot to reply to! :surprise:

"The problem is you MUST get all the extra stuff on the Focus SEL to get basic lux-trim features like leather interior, and the moonroof is extra cost."

Well, yes I think I said that right? Therein lies the problem. But if you make all things equal they would be pretty darn close in price.

"What if someone doesn't want dual-zone climate control (a funny concept in a compact car, IMO),"

True. I have the DEATC in my '08 Escape and '09 Flex and it's basically useless.

"But suppose you add to the Elantra Limited the Premium Package..."
    Well you could add a different pkg to the Focus and get the MyFord Touch which is, IMO, superior to a navigation system. In that it has more functionality plus turn by turn navigation if not on the screen. Who looks at the screen while driving though right?

"A Bentley or Ferrari would overwhelm me. (wink) "
    Oh so true!!! Let's keep it in perspective though.

"Sorry, I don't accept your reasoning. There are plenty of folks out there whom not only despise SUVs, but would also be more than happy to buy a nicely tarted up car roughly the size of the Focus with a manual transmission."

Count me in. Mostly. I like our SUV/CUVs but I'm replacing one with a Focus or Fusion. The other will be replaced with an Edge-like crossover. I think the market will change somewhat with the current rising gas prices. CUVs are still not all that great on gas when you dig down deep. I would LOVE to have a stick shifter but the options are too limited now. I had an '04 Mazda6 and an '06 Mustang GT, both with sticks, and I wish the former were still an option. I've resigned to the fact that I'll now have to shift electronically. Whether that sits well with me or not is yet to be seen.

Great posts guys and gals. Good conversations and civilized arguments are what make these forums fun and keep me coming back!
    "People don't buy cars with manual transmissions much any more in the USA."

Let's see...

Given that the take rate for manual transmissions has been hovering between ten and twelve percent for something like the last fifteen years (and the numbers have ticked up over the last couple of years).

Given that the average number of cars sold in the U.S. has been ~12.5 million (kinda guessing here) for that same period of time, then well in excess of a million cars per year are sold with a real transmission.

Given that only a select number of models are even offered with a manual transmission, the take rate for those models is typically well above twenty percent.

I'm thinking that there is (and continues to be) a market for manual transmissions in cars like the Focus. Long story short, Ford blew it by preventing the buying public from ordering a higher end Focus and a manual transmission.
    "I had an '04 Mazda6 and an '06 Mustang GT, both with sticks, and I wish the former were still an option. I've resigned to the fact that I'll now have to shift electronically. Whether that sits well with me or not is yet to be seen."

Hmmm, when I bought my Mazda3 (yes, with a stick), I saw a 2010 Mazda6 on the floor with a manual transmission. I just checked the Mazda-USA web site and see that this car is still available with a manual transmission (albeit in el-strippo/4-banger trim only).
    Maybe some people insist the 6-cyl option as the only way to go for the performance-oriented stick drivers. Ford actually thought about replacing the RWD Mustang w/ the FWD Probe based on the Mazda 626, but...

You know what? After I test drove both the 4- & 6-cyl Mazda6 at the MazdaRevItUp event more than half a decade ago on a twisty driving course, I really hate 6-cyl's nose heaviness, especially on a FWD car. & that also makes the weightless rotary RX-8 w/ std suspension superb in BOTH ride comfort & handling!
    Can you provide a reference for your numbers?

Here's what one source says on the subject (emphasis added by me), from a year ago:

The ability to drive a car equipped with a manual transmission is becoming a dying art. The sales numbers tell the story: In 1985, according to Ward’s Communications, 22.4% of all vehicles sold in the United States came with a manual transmission. By 2007, the number had plummeted to 7.7%.

A quick check of vehicles for sale on AOL Autos tells a similar story. Of the 4,391,747 vehicles recently listed for sale, only 241,560 -- or 5.5% -- came with a manual.

http://autos.aol.com/article/stick-shift-love-affair/

Another reference, from last November:

Even though manual transmissions have been in decline for decades, a new EPA report shows that 6.7% of new vehicles sold this year are equipped with a stick. Sadly, it's the highest percentage in the last five years .

http://jalopnik.com/#!5694777/67-of-vehicles-sold-in-us-have-manual-transmission- s

So it looks like sales of MT cars is more like 6-7% in the USA, not 10-12%. The good new for MT fans, the number of cars sold with MTs crept up a bit last year. But still a very small segment of the market. If Ford et. al. see that there is an increased demand for MT cars, especially well-equipped MT cars (which is what I think your complaint is about, since you CAN get the Focus with an MT, just not in the higher trims), they will offer them. Again--they want to sell cars.

So you and others who want an MT in a high-end Focus: write to Mr. Mulally, and tell him you really, REALLY wanted to buy a Focus SES with a stick, but you couldn't, therefore you bought X instead--AND FORD LOST A SALE, AND A CUSTOMER. If they get enough letters like that, they'll do something about it.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    edited February 2011
    just wonderful.

Red is nice but that Goldfinger color is more what I want. I will hold out for what I want and ya know, when I look long and hard at the 2012 Ford Focus hatch or sedan, transmission doesn't matter. I'll buy their 6-spd. automatic "dual-clutch" DSG transmission with the little flicker on the gearknob to change "gears."

I can say it doesn't matter because my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is still glistening and glowing Rally Red in all its glory and it has paddle-shifting fan-boy fun factory-installed. And here's the gist of this post, carlovers.

It doesn't matter! It's the body of the car that matters more than the transmission to me. Having said that, I respect those that it does matter to.

That's what helps form us as individuals. We have noses and we have opinions. We vote with our pocketbook and Mr. Mulally is first a businessman. I used to work way underneath him at The Boeing Company. He will do what it takes to make money, not please the rabid enthusiast. backy has it right and I also understand that.

Having said that, I can still insist on ordering a 2012 Ford Focus SE hatch or sedan that only has a 5-speed manual tranny and is loaded with a nice stereo, regular old climate system and no SYNC or anything else and I would be happy as an Ocean Shores clam over here in the northern Idaho panhandle. That's the beauty of this-Ford still has left an option for us to buy stick in our '12 Focii! I consider that good news, but, to me, transmission doesn't make the sale. The car does.

It's not even the carmaker that makes the sale to me. It's the particular car model I want to buy that sells itself. By the time I decide what I want all the salesperson has to do is provide the exact copy of '12 Focus I want.

Done deal.

Sheesh...it even looks hot in silver

Boeing...I mean Ford blue is always nice

A 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback rides on 16-inch wheels and starts at $18,065. | January 27, 2011 | Ford Motor Company

Crikey! Look how good this 2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback looks with the smaller 16" wheels and the Boeing...I...I mean Ford blue color. And I like the wheel design and...one can order one of these with the Ford 5-speed stick transmission. Am I missing something here? $18,065? What's not ta like here?!

This find is starting to solidify my 2013 Ford Focus SE hatchback purchase plans...and I might just insist on a Ford 5-speed shifter, too. Why not? Whoo-hoooo boys! This car is the way to go back to buying American and still do so with pride and respect. Period.

No Al Gore GW speeches required. No all-electric car purchase ahead. Just plain old 5-speed American Focii gleaming bright in the sun. I feel a release of pent-up car buying dilemna tension...sort of like the feeling I get when I know for sure the dorky LA Lakers have been beaten by the OKC Thunder in the 2011 NBA playoffs.

Life is once again good.

There's also a five-speed manual, but with just the five cogs and a flaccid clutch it's not really optimized for either performance or fuel economy. It's more of a value proposition on the low end of the price scale, which explains why it's confined to S and SE models.

The above is from an Inside Line article here on Edmunds on January 27, 2011. This is why many will not go for the new Focus manual tranny and this is why my test drive takes on even more importance. A shoddy shifter will kill a 2013 Ford Focus SE hatchback in Ford blue, 5-speed manual tranny and kickin', competent AM/FM/CD stereo with bass-boost. This should all be there for around $20,000 before tax and license or I'm walking back out to the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in Rally Red and CVT automatic tranny, thumpin' stereo, not to pass go or even collect a big bag of Dots for the ride home.

"Hmmm, when I bought my Mazda3 (yes, with a stick), I saw a 2010 Mazda6 on the floor with a manual transmission. I just checked the Mazda-USA web site and see that this car is still available with a manual transmission (albeit in el-strippo/4-banger trim only). "

Sorry, should have clarified the trim. The Mazda6 I had was indeed the S model with a V6. Pretty much all of the mid-sized sedans still come with a 4-banger and a manual transmission option of some kind. I don't think any of them offer the MTX with a V6 or better anymore. Mazda used to, Honda used to, and Nissan used to. I think they've all quit offering it by now.

I really liked that Mazda6 but the Mustang deal came along and was too good to pass up.
    For cars of roughly this size class, the only games in town with anything more than four cylinders seems to be BMW, and Mercedes-Benz (3-Series and C-Class). Given that Ford is going back on their word to bring us the European flavors of the Focus, I'm looking up-market once again.
    While I don't have numbers at my finger tips that contradict what you've posted, your numbers are so vastly different that what I've seen up to this point I really have to call into question their accuracy.

As for the decline in stick shift drivers, I taught my (then) sixteen year old son to drive my Mazda last year and my fourteen year old daughter is already bugging me to start teaching her to drive a stick as well. My son for his part has already taught a dozen of his class mates and another dozen were give cars by their folks with three pedals under the dash and were told, "It's yours when you can drive it." By my son's calculations, nearly a third of the kids in his high school are proficient at driving a stick, and to the best of his knowledge, none of them would be willing to part with their current mounts unless the replacement had a stick as well. Is this part of a new trend toward stirring your own? Don't know, but one can certainly hope. :)