Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    edited November 2011
    the Focus isn't even remotely competitive with the GTI in any way shape or form

Why would you say that? Besides Focus' cheaper-quality plastic & fit-&-finish...

According to this Euro magazine, there are only 3 top compact hatches. & they are...while the rest are just distant...

I've noticed that --

The GTI has stiffer & shorter-travel suspension than the Golf 2.5, ditto the Focus.
    (Note: This suspension change isn't necessarily an "upgrade". & this is how this Euro magazine feels about the Golf: "Big wheels and sports suspension upset the ride... In fact, this is probably the Golf at its worst – lesser models are better to drive and represent much greater value for money.")

The GTI is a tad more fun & exciting to drive than the Golf 2.5, ditto the Focus.
    (The Focus is "more engaging to drive than the Golf (even w/ the sport suspension)")

The GTI's engine has less low-end thrust & grunt (but sounds smoother when revved) than Golf's bigger-displacement 5-cyl 2.5, ditto the Focus' 2.0 (turbo ST will be available soon).

If it's the rear-seat comfort that keeps them apart, then the Focus' limited leg room means it belongs to the A3 & C30/S40/V50 class (since they all have the Control Blades from the Focus). I guess Ford also trys to price match them? Maybe Ford should just sell an "extended-wheelbase version" through the Lincoln dealers.

I've noticed that the shape of Focus' rear chair is more comfortably high & supports my thighs real well better than any back seat in the current Golf/GTI/Jetta, let alone Mazda2's super-low chairs, which keeps my knees high up in the air & about as cramped in knee room.

If some short-leg slim person sits in the Focus' driver seat, then the person (such as my 5'11" slim frame) sitting behind will actually enjoy more back-seat comfort than in any of the current Golf/GTI & especially the low-chair new Jetta, which seems to also have less rear head room than the Focus sedan.

Styling-wise, I think the Golf/GTI got a boring body, while the Focus hatch is ugly enough to look like an improved Dodge Caliber :P

VW seems to be going boring inside out. What's up w/ that "Impala body" Passat...

Anyway, I'm still keeping my Mk1 Jetta coupe, which was designed before I was old enough to drive. Its back seat is the most comfortable -- even has full-length lateral support for my outer thigh, unlike its 4-dr version. & the current Golf/GTI don't got this "upgrade" for the 2-dr! :sick:
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I see, now you're prognosticating on what VW is going to do even before they've done it. Interesting...
    My 1979 Scirocco had the torsion beam rear suspension, and it was one of the best cars I've ever driven. I suppose some folks may look down their nose at cars with such a setup, but not me. :)
    edited November 2011
    Please spare us your opinions which are devoid of actual seat time in either car.

Go drive the two back to back and tell me with an unbiased mind (if that's possible) and a straight face the Focus measures up to the GTI in any way shape or form.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    I'll tell you that the Focus measures up to the Mazda3. Does the Mazda3 measure up to the GTI or vice versa?
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    I disagree totally...our 2005 Mazda 3s drives so much better than the Focus SE I drove in the beginning of the month. To be fair, the Focus does have the smaller engine so it's not quite an apples to apples comparo. Even still, our 6 year old car has a nicer interior and exterior in my opinion and it beats by a mile the last generation Focus which was low rent in comparison. We did test drive the last generation Focus and couldn't get out of it fast enough, it was that bad!

But I've said since day 1 that we're just not Ford people, their products just don't appeal to us. The new Focus hatchback is the 1st Ford product I'd consider buying but after showing the wife a new one this afternoon, she let me know in no uncertain terms that it ain't gonna happen for her next ride!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

I test-drove a Mazda3 SkyActiv and a Ford Focus back to back last weekend (which is more of an apples to apples thing). They're very close. And Ford beat's Mazda's current interior easily. Admittedly I like'd Mazda's old interior better than their current one. I had a 2004 Mazda3s that drove really well, but also had a lot of road noise, and rotten FE (when I bought it my commute was 10 miles a day...that number has since added a zero).

I'm getting the Focus, provided I get the right features at the right price. I do find myself wondering if I can get a set of the Titanium headlamps and put them on the SEL though...they make the front end look nice and mean, but I don't want a Titanium (tired of black interiors).
    We did test drive the last generation Focus and couldn't get out of it fast enough, it was that bad!

Which Focus did you try out? I was shopping b/t the ST 2.3 stick w/ 50-series 16"s & the 3S 2.3 stick w/ 55-series 16"s. The 3S rides like as if the tires are made of concrete despite taller sidewalls, while the handling is so oversteer-prone that it would seem dangerous in the wet w/o the stability program.

The Focus ST 2.3 was totally tossable -- you can drive like a maniac & still able to catch the tail in time.

Anyway, today, my right brain just wanna get a bright blue (or light green) new Focus SE sedan stick & replace the driver seat w/ the blue (or green) one from the upcoming ST turbo -- it will be a joy.

If I get to rent a car for a day just to blast off & skid around, then the new Focus SE stick will be the choice over the Golf/GTI. But to own one? I'm not sure -- The Focus has cheap/toxic plastic smell when exposed to sun heat, noisier A/C fan, shallower ride comfort than the Golf 2.5...
    edited November 2011
    "I'll tell you that the Focus measures up to the Mazda3. Does the Mazda3 measure up to the GTI or vice versa?"

Yes, the Mazda3 has steering which feels a bit more communicative than the GTI; beyond that our GTI blows our Mazda3 away in every category except purchase price. Said another way, the two cars are a class apart.
    Well, I'm thinking the GTI falls flat when it comes to fuel economy.
    edited November 2011
    "If I get to rent a car for a day just to blast off & skid around, then the new Focus SE stick will be the choice over the Golf/GTI. But to own one? I'm not sure -- The Focus has cheap/toxic plastic smell when exposed to sun heat, noisier A/C fan, shallower ride comfort than the Golf 2.5..."

You really do need to get out more; for pure driving enjoyment the Focus SE is a very poor second to a GTI.
    "Well, I'm thinking the GTI falls flat when it comes to fuel economy."

Well, driven in the same manner as my 2009 Mazda3 i TVE 5-Speed, the GTI gets about one MPG better than the Mazda. That said, if I put my foot into the GTI, the fuel economy does drop off.
    Hmm, too bad that TVE 5 speed has been replaced with a GDI 2L and 6-speed that gets 30/40. So I"m thinking the Mazda3 gets MUCH better FE than the GTI.
    Yeah, the emasculated (from an option perspective) Mazda3 i with the SkyActiv engine and 6-Speed manual will probably deliver five mpg more than the GTI for any given style of driving; but at the economy levels delivered by the GTI, I'd gladly pay the extra couple of hundred per year in fuel costs to have a car with the creature comforts and the huge performance gains of the VW over the Mazda.

Now, if Mazda had seen fit to allow us to buy a Mazda3 with the same options available in the "s GT" combined with the SkyActive engine and the 6-Speed manual, I would have been compelled to bump the Mazda3 further up the list. In the end, such a Mazda would have come to within $1,500 of the price of our GTI, and for that price delta, the GTI would probably still have gotten the nod.
    I'll take the creature comforts, but keep the MPGs. Hence Ford Focus.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,744
    Wasn't there a TSB for the DSG? If so, wouldn't that indicate there's something there besides lack of familiarity with the DSG transmission?

A TSB is an automatic indication of there being a problem. TSB's are often just issued for informational purposes or for a new method of doing a repair.

In this case, Ford issued a TSB to reprogram the transmission to shift differently if someone complained. Technically, it's working as designed.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/transmission-woes-addressed-by-ford-b- ut-too-late-for-consumer-reports/
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    It's working as designed, hence the need for reprogramming for some drivers. Got it. :)
    I think you missed the point, the TSB was to be performed on the drivers, not on the cars. :P
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    We tried the same two but with the slush boxes and obviously preferred the 3...this next time I'm hoping she'll decide against the 3, but we'll see. I prefer the Elantra but she's complaining about the rear visibility without even trying one yet...ugh! Did mention the upcoming new Sentra & Corolla to her yesterday but reminded her that the 2012 Sentra SL I sat in recently had a outstanding front seat...super comfortable for me...but the styling is really dated though. But bet she could make a killer deal while they're still in stock. Timing is the issue though, she's just not ready to buy yet!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

edited November 2011
    Yep, the rear visibility (width) was the main reason I dismissed the Mazda3 (the old Focus sedan had a much wider view). Another reason is the door armrest too low for driver's elbow (I love the high one in the C30/S40/V50). I knew I can eventually smooth out the nervous ride motion when the Monroe shocks become available.

Today, only the to-be-discontinued Lancer has a decently wide rear-view out, followed by the E90/E92 3-Series & maybe the C-Class sedan. The 1-Series Coupe isn't too bad, either.

The new Focus sedan is tolerable if you remove the right rear headrest. If those "ST turbo" Recaro seats become an option on the sedan, then I might go for it!

You sure you tried the '05-07 ST sedan? It was never available w/ slushbox. Only the '05-07 ST & '01 Street Edition versions of the MkI Focus sedan do not have "weak knee-ed" front springs! ;)