Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    Thanks, someone else mentioned this on another discussion. I did look for some way to lift the seat bottom, because my Elantra GT has this feature as does my 2010 Sentra. But those cars' back seat works differently than the Focus'; on those cars, you pull up on the FRONT of the seat bottom to unlatch it, then swing it forward. So I looked on the bottom front edge of the rear seat for some way to pull it out, and finding nothing, I gave up. (Also I couldn't see any Ford representative around to ask about it.)

I prefer a seat that folds flat in one operation, ala the Impreza or Mazda3, but at least the Focus' seat DOES fold flat.
  • markus5markus5 Posts: 102
    The sedan also has this split flip up seat bottom feature, but it is only found on the SEL and higher trim level models. All Hatchbacks have this feature, perhaps partially accounting for the higher price on the hatchback.
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    Well, its been about a month with my Focus. I bought a 2012 Focus SE hatchback with sunroof. I also have the sport package and the winter package along with Sync and Sirrus Package 203A. I just had the windows all tinted, I put all 4 splash guards on also. I ordered some painted to match body side moulding. Car handles great and is fun to drive. I only have abou 800 miles so I have not pushed the car hard. I am going to wait until after my first oil change to see how quick the car really is. I am seeing more and more Focus around each day. I believe the Focus will take number 2 spot in hot sellers in this segment by the end of this year. As more and more people drive one and see the quality/fit/finish of this vehicle. :)
    edited March 2012
    A few details with my Focus. The first one is the an asthetic item. I think Ford could have spent the extrat $20 bucks to put on a chrome tip exhaust on all Focus models.
    Also, when the car is shut off the windows lock and I cannot roll them down! There has to be a fix for this.
    I don't understand your last comment. Are you saying there is no retained power in the electrical system so you can move a window up or down for awhile after the engine is off? Not all cars have that feature, although it's pretty common nowadays. Or are you saying that if you turn the key to the "on" position (not "accessory", but "on" such that all the idiot lights on the dash light up), you can't move the windows then? THAT would be unusual.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    Are you sure it's $20? I know on my car I paid $180ish (two of them)...plus the installation.

I agree...it would look better.
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    Not true on my SEL. All windows still operate with the key off. They may stop operating after you open the door, like the radio. I'm not sure.

Also on the SEL and Titanium all windows have 1-touch auto up AND down. Great feature!
  • rfkfsfrfkfsf Posts: 1
    Still looking for info from a 2012 Focus owner who previously owned a 2008 Honda Civic hybrid? Let me know.

Regards,
    Ron
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    That request has been fulfilled, but we get quite a few requests, so keep your eyes open, and thanks for taking the time to reply.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tomcatt630tomcatt630 Posts: 124
    edited April 2012
    The stories of Focuses 'piling up dealers' from winter are a hoax to me. Selling good now. Mine is 2 days old, and drives fine. The DCT seems to upshift quick if you lightly accelerate, but stays in lower gears if hitting harder. I drove in stop and go for first time and was fine.

Other car test drove was Chevy Cruze LT turbo, but motor had lag like an 80's Chrysler turbo.

l got it for TMV right on the money, ;)
  • joegiantjoegiant Posts: 90
    Congrats Tom on your new car! Just love the thing. We've had ours for about two months now and simply enjoy driving Ford's Wayne, MI made auto. Ours is the manual version SE w/Sync & Sport pkg, a rather difficult setup to find but we did. And as you say, the pricepoint is quite competitive and the handling...did I mention the handling? Oh my. Have fun. :shades:
  • tomcatt630tomcatt630 Posts: 124
    Only issue is seat is hard on my back, so getting it customized with lumbar support, with an air pump. It is hard to tell how seats are until driving awhile.

Probably shoud have rented a Focus for a week. But then, most cars in rental places are not Fords these days.
    The leather seats in the '12 Focus include lumbar support.

I've read many folks complement the Focus seats after long trips.

Most rentals not Fords? Funny since Ford sells pretty much the highest % of vehicles to fleets of all manufacturers.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Fleet does not mean rentals. Fleet also includes commercial (trucks and vans) and government. Ford's rental sales have declined significantly and more importantly when they do sell to rental companies they aren't "dumping" unwanted vehicles - they're making a profit and selling more upscale versions.
    Thanks for the lesson. But I don't recall asserting anything about dumping unwanted vehicles.

The fact is 12% of Ford vehicles went directly to rental companies last year, and Ford was the best selling brand in the U.S. last year by far. So that my friend is a lot of Ford cars in rental fleets.

Of the dozen or so cars I rented for work last year, 3 were Fords.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Ford is selling a lot fewer rental cars than they used to and it's not a given that you can find one in a specific rental agency. At least that's what a lot of frequent traveler's are reporting when they try to rent Fords.
    Instead of engaging in what could turn into a non-productive argument, or a conversation that's already veering off-topic, I'll try to help the OP -

My SO travels a lot, and whatever rental agency he's using now has Focuses available pretty regularly - it may be National, I forget. He switched after Enterprise gave him a Mazda2 as a "midsize" rental (which, if you've never seen one, is just a step up from a bicycle).

Don't go by the vehicles listed on the rental companies' websites. They usually have, in small print, "similar to" whatever vehicle is pictured. Your best bet is to call the local branches and ask if they have any Focuses for rental. Obviously, if you live near an airport, the airport location is likely to have the biggest selection.

Kinda funny timing... this was "White Fiesta Week" for me. Got two of them from Hertz. Exactly the same car. Saw a lot of them and Foci on the two Hertz lots. Good fuel economy. I would rather have had a Focus though, but my company forces me to take a "compact" if available. Saves a buck a day (woo-hoo!).
    My Focus has been great. Granted I have only owned it for 2 months. Automatic shifts fine. I am averaging 33.7MPG with 2,200 miles on it. As far as pricing. If your smart and savvy you can get these cars for a competitive price/option for option. I paid just over 19K for a Focus hatchback, SE, sports package, sunroof, sync, winter package, convenience package, automatic. Car is pretty well optioned for my needs. Yes, I had rebates. This car rides and handles wonderfully. Interior is way up and above the majority of cars in this class.