Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• dali52dali52 Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Any pointers in getting the right price? I am really considering buying one and I would like to know if you used the online dealers, or just the area dealers. I live around Los Angeles CA. If you could provide a bit more information, I would really appreciate it. OH, and how do you find the seats? Comfortable? Thanks so very much
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,623
    Call the dealership, ask for the sales manager and tell him/her exactly what you want and ask how much above or below dealer invoice they want for it. If they won't tell you hang up. Also ask for the doc fee amount (that's additional profit for them so you have to include it in their asking price). You should be able to get the best price without setting foot in a dealership.
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    edited May 2012
    First of all don't just walk into the dealership. They love people who do this. Research and find EXACTLY the car you want. Options, color, features. Find the car at a local dealership. Most dealerships have an internet department and or fleet manager. Most dealerships have a running inventory of what they have. You can do a search, get the VIN# Ask them what they would sell you this car for, let them know you are a serious buyer. Search the internet and find out what the Focus really costs the dealer. I found a site called True car.com to be the best. It gives you a window of what you should really pay for the car. Next, see if they will sell it to you at or below invoice. Rebates, make sure you get to put the rebates towards the purchase of the car and NOT to the dealership.
    Funding, fund yourself. Get your own funding, search banks, credit unions for the best rates. When you have your own funding, YOU Rule.
    Do not go for all the additional garbage they try to sell you like undercoating, paint sealant, fabric protection, ect.. Not worth it one bit. They make a whole lot of money off of these add ons. Let us know what you do!
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,654
    Some additional info for the Rebates: make sure you review them all. I believe they apply to your immediate family as well and not only you (the purchaser).

Also, If you go to their website and request additional information through the mail you'll receive an additional $500 rebate that can be applied to the other rebates.

I found Edmunds TMV to be pretty accurate...I signed up for American Express Auto Purchase Program and it's "deal" was close to Edmunds TMV.

I agree with alternative funding; a point or a half doesn't really make much difference with a 5-6 year loan...My credit union is 2.49 for 72 months so usually a price reduction in lieu of a low (or 0) percent from the manufacturer works out to be more advantageous.
    You may or may not get an extra coupon by requesting a brochure and the amount can vary from $500 to $750. Doesn't hurt to try though.

Just FYI - if you're using edmunds or some other website to get the dealer invoice pricing be aware that they do not include the FDAF (advertising) fee. This is a legitimate invoice charge paid by the dealer and it's usually around $500 give or take per vehicle. So if Edmunds says the dealer invoice is $22,000 - the actual dealer invoice is closer to $22,500 give or take $100.
  • tom_focustom_focus Posts: 1
    This is helpful. I just experienced this "new car smell" in our '03 Focus wagon and was concerned. We just had the a/c evaporator core replaced, so that may be why I haven't smelled it before. We're in NYC, and have just had our first hot day of the summer, which must have triggered the smell.

Before having the evaporator replaced, we had a strong smell of mildew when the a/c was turned on. My mechanic said it was because the evaporator core went bad (which turned out to be true - it was leaking.)
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    Whoa, I just happened to be browsing on the Ford site and found a bunch of changes for the 2013 Focus. The most notable change, aside from the obvious additions of the electric and ST models, is the removal of the SEL trim. There are plenty of other changes too, though I haven't spent a lot of time looking through them yet.

Guess I'll have to buy very soon, which makes sense since Ford now has a $1,750 cashback deal.
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    Oh, btw, it DOES appear that the 2013 Focus Titanium is available with a manual.
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    If you go to focusfanatics.com they've posted 2013 order guides and a summary of '12 to '13 changes. They're substantial. Generally the trim packaging is more restrictive and it'll be even more difficult to get individual options you might want without being foced to get others you don't. For example, the very popular SE Sport Package is gone and now you can't get rear disc brakes without getting leather seats.
  • joegiantjoegiant Posts: 90
    Shew! Guess I'm glad I bought my 5 speed SE w/sport pkg when I did. Discs all the way around - check! Leather seats for me and mine - no check! :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,632
    ... you can't get rear disc brakes without getting leather seats.

Sure you can, e.g. Mazda3i, Golf, Elantra GT...

To Ford re 2013 SE: :P
    OTOH the folks who previously wanted a manual with leather seats and all the other goodies can now get that in the Titanium.

Although it would be nice to have both options.
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    ... you can't get rear disc brakes without getting leather seats.

Sure you can, e.g. Mazda3i, Golf, Elantra GT...

Ha ha. Don't know for sure but I'll take your word for it. Seems like a poor choice by Ford. Although, realistically rear discs don't really have any significant advantage in an economical compact car like this. I think it's more of an image thing.

OTOH the folks who previously wanted a manual with leather seats and all the other goodies can now get that in the Titanium.

True, but technically that was a mid-2012 model year change, not new for '13.
  • Hello all. I just purchased a new base 2012 Focus S with a manual transmission. I am still on my first tank of gas and I am very disappointed in the city MPG I'm getting (18-19). Will this get better over time?

Also, it shifts horribly until you get to third gear... once again, will this improve?

Thank you
    I am very disappointed in the city MPG I'm getting (18-19).

How are you performing the calculation? I'm assuming the on-board computer since its your first tank.

Did you reset it initially?

Do you sit and idle long? Every car gets 0 mpg when idling (stating the obvious).

it shifts horribly until you get to third gear

Being a manual...I think it's on you :)

Do you mean how the clutch engages? Does it slip (engine revs when on the gas when driving normally)?

Is this the car you drove during your test drive? Seems odd for the problems not to appear during the test drive then to occur after purchase.

I'd take these concerns to the dealer. They should be more than happy to address them with such a new vehicle.

Whenever I go on a test drive I bring somebody else along to *trash talk* the car...have them be very critical of everything...point everything out. That way I'm not swept-up off my feet only to be disappointed after the honeymoon period.
  • I purchased the car with 5 miles on it and calculated that you get 3 point something gallons per 1/4 tank. So I divided at the 3/4 tank mark.

I agree that I haven't got the shifting down yet, which is a big dagger in my manhood... yet I haven't driven a stick in 20 years. So I know it will take me some time... but still.

Yes it is. When I test drove the car I had already driven the automatic focus several times and was pleased, so I felt that I would get used to the manual (the manual was at a price that I couldn't pass up).

It just brings me back to the mileage. It's probably related to my poor shifting at the moment, but could that really be such a big difference. My car has 90mi on it now and is almost at the 1/2 tank mark.

I appreciate your response.
    I'd wait till your next tank to do a mileage calculation.

You've probably heard:
    Go down to empty
    Fill up with gas and record the current mileage and gallons entered
    When that tank is down to empty again (a similar spot as the first time) you'll have your miles driven to put into your calculation.

I'd bet its higher than that
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    edited July 2012
    Why makes you think EPA kept rating manual cars low mpg? That's b/c bunch of you kept keeping the rev too high & didn't up-shift in time. Also, MT (or C&D) test an early '80's Jetta with the up-shift light & found that "following the light's instruction" actually lowers the mpg due to "up-shifting too early"! That is, the lugging vibration is using the energy to destroy the cylinder-wall side way! :sick:
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    How about the new Focus ST? Ditto my old MkI ST.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,632
    ST is more than I need. SE (2012) hatch was fine... in features, price.