Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    edited December 2012
    Which foreign-brand alternative? These blade multi-links can be found in the C30 (or the upcoming V40), the Mazda3 & the Golf (also in the new Beetle convertible).

But those of you who drive stick might be disappointed w/ Mazda3's abnormal clutch wear.

The C30 is probably not so reliable either.

Only the (soon to be discontinued) 5-cyl version of the Golf comes w/ the reliable made-in-Japan automatic transmission (read not DSG), while the manual has uncomfortably deep clutch travel.

& only the convertible version of the new Beetle comes w/ both the multi-links & the reliable 5-cyl engine.

As far as looking for a reliable trouble-free car, recent Consumer Reports statistics shows that the 5-cyl Jetta/Golf wagon imported from Mexico surpassed even the Prius V wagon imported from Japan!
  • That's pretty lousy MPG for highway. Just out of curiosty, how fast do you drive on the freeway? I can get godly MPG if I drive very slow on the freeway (around 50-55 mph), but MPG drops pretty steeply as you rise to 75 mph.
  • Well ...I haven't posted lately on mine since all the shuddering and stumbling and the front wheels feeling like they are going to fall off!! I have about 5600 miles on it now...I actually find that it drives better in the sport mode....has a lot less of the shudder and stumble issues. We will eventually get rid of it, but for now....happens less frequently, but I still want to take it in for reprogramming of the tranny....just doesn't seem right for a NEW car....what were they thinking? My thoughts for the day...(my mpg around town is anywhere from 26 to 29 mpg) ...Happy Holidays to all posters... :shades:
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 698
    I've noticed that a lot of the shuddering transmission issue is based off of how you accelerate.

If a driver hit the gas and then back off the accelerator, only to hit the gas again, it tends to confuse the transmission. Since it's a dual-shift, it's got the second gear somewhat preset to engage... thinking that the driver needs power. But if the gas pedal is released, it then releases the preset upshift gear and resets it to a lower gear. Only to then have to release that one and reset to the higher gear all over again.

I'd suggest that for any acceleration, to try and step on the gas and not back off on the acceleration.

It should help greatly. (fingers crossed, though)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,623
    There are also some defective trannys out there. If the latest software update doesn't fix it then it might need to be replaced. My daughter's does not drive that way.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,632
    Yep. Focus.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/2012/12/19/the-worlds-most-popular-cars-- a-new-champ/

#2 is no surprise... except it's one of the worst cars in this class IMO: Corolla.

#3 is the Jetta. Then #4 was a surprise to me... Elantra.

Then Fiesta, Golf, etc. Have to go all the way to #7 to find the only mid-sized car in the group: Camry (more proof in addition to Corolla that lots of people buy on reputation).

The numbers are world-wide, reflecting the popularity of small cars in Europe and AP.
    edited December 2012
    By calling both the hatch & the sedan a Focus...

By calling every model riding on the same platform a Corolla...
    http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/Toyota/Corolla_Verso
    http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/C1A971414B4C6B28CA257A60001C77- - - - 5F

The Corolla even came in both RWD & FWD platforms the same time:
    http://www.modifiedplanet.com/category/toyota-trueno/
    http://images03.olx.lk/ui/20/26/70/1334544860_354102670_1-Pictures-of--Toyota-Sp- - - - rinter-For-sale-Call-0777279393.jpg

VW doesn't do that:
    http://www.mundoautomotor.com.mx/web/2008/11-volkswagen-bora-2009/

So if you combine the sales of both the Golf & the Jetta (Bora, etc.), then who's the best seller?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,632
    At least the hatch and sedan variants of the Focus are the same design. :P
  • I have talked to other owners they say theirs are good, taking mine back tomorrow to see what they can do for me, Worst car Ive ever owned , wouldn't even go with another ford at this point, dont think I have any other options.
  • jiminy3jiminy3 Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    Look closely at the article and you would see that the Focus didn't even make the top ten in America. It most likely got its title of most popular car in the world by being available in more markets than the competitors. Any company can sell 1,000 cars in each of the 120 countries that it's available and appear to be doing better than a competitor that "only" sells 100,000 cars in one, for example.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    So Ford cheated by offering the same car in more markets? ;)
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810
    I guess it depends on what the definition of "doing better" is. 1,000 sales in 120 countries IS 20,000 more sales than 100,000 in one country.

Just an observation :shades:

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• Thats what happend to me. Had the dealer expained the operation of the dct. I would have understood better. I did test ride it first. I knew what it was, But acted dumb. The salesman says "oh thats the new six speed" He had no clue it was a manual/auto tranny. Needless to say after the update mine operates good.
    Something tells me in a couple of years its all we probably can get.
    Its the final nail in the coffin for torque convertors.
    The dual clutch will only get better with time.
    how do you spell dart?
  • Nope, Its called ford global.
    As I recall, the Cruze, Civic, Fit, Sonic (as the Aveo), Golf, and others are also sold globally. I was accusing Ford of cheating sarcastically. :)
  • yea, I guess you are right! LOL.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,654
    I suppose most manufacturers would like increased sales (for the most part), but I don't assume any vehicle is better (or more desirable) because of higher sales.

Economies of scale could come into play; maybe allotting a higher level of equipment...but I had a Maserati GranTurismo power by me the other day it didn't seem lacking due to limited sales :shades:

A Big Mac isn't my favorite either :)
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    is the most boring car in this class. I just can't see why anyone would want to buy one with all the great small cars out today. Hell, even Kia and Hyundai are better in their drive trains!
    Focus is getting some bad press because of the sport shift transmissions. People in the U.S. don't know how they work and its newer technology for Americans. I love mine! Took me a bit to understand how it works but if works great. I am averaging 33.7MPG between city and Hwy in my 2012 Focus SE hatch automatic. I get complements all the time on this car.
    UGH! Corolla by cannon3
    Dec 31, 2012 (5:11 pm)

is the most boring car in this class. I just can't see why anyone would want to buy one with all the great small cars out today. Hell, even Kia and Hyundai are better in their drive trains!

You FINALLY said something I can agree with, congrats! :D
    I mentioned this before. My '98 Corolla LE stick 1.8 had excellent torque around 2000rpm & gets 40mpg on the hwy. Due to its uncomfortable driving position (w/ low chairs & limited rear leg room) plus poor ride/handling/steering, I had to replaced it w/ the noisier Focus ST stick 2.3 (reliable Mazda engine) gas-guzzler that feels weaker at low rpm. But it's still worth it w/ all the enjoyment.

Today, the new Focus w/ problematic auto tranny still has the comfortably high chairs, but no longer got rear leg room, which owners of the new Corolla w/ roomy high chairs can laugh at.

The fun-to-drive hatchback Golf 2.5 automatic is reliable like the Corolla, but the rear seating is uncomfortably low (although not as bad as the C-Max) despite good leg room. Fortunately there's the Golf/Jetta wagon 2.5 w/ a comfy supportive rear chair while excels in reliability surpassing even the Prius V wagon (See Consumer Reports)!