Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    Good post.
    The VW 6 sp auto Techtronic is a Toyota trans?

I liked it when I drove one with the 2.5 a year ago. But it is an expensive tranny/car to own maintenance-wise. It seemed to be a magnetic fiend for needing to go back to the dealer for the requisite maintenance schedule dealer stamps. And gosh, they aren't cheap. I really liked the car and still haven't replaced or added to the fleet yet, but that maintenance schedule really put me off..
    Well...I shouldn't say put me off yet, but has caused me some reservations.
    One thing I'm curious about is, where does the dust go from the dry clutch wear? Perhaps the clutch paks are vented to the outside..i.e. Not actually an internal trans component? If so, then it would at least make them more affordably $erviceable than having to go inside. I think VW's in EU are on the inside, and replaced as a unit when troublesome. Weren't they like 5 grand or something just for electronic clutch pak assembly..not counting the gear assembly of the actual trans?

And does the Focus and Fiesta use the same DCT or are they different but identical design? i.e. Is the Fiesta DCT also dry clutch?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,623
    I thought the 6AT Tiptronic in the Rabbit/Golf is an Aisin unit. Aisin is part owned by Toyota and supplies trannies to Toyota, but is not Toyota.
  • bpizzutibpizzuti Posts: 2,743
    Was not the reason they use the DCT in it, for the fuel mileage? From what I've been reading, they sorta failed..and that was even using the (more efficient) dry clutch as opposed to the wet in EU.

They don't seem to be working out all that well in general, possibly because they're being sold as automatic variants, which they aren't. If they were sold as quasi-manual transmissions, which they are, the low-speed roughness might be a little more expected and acceptable. And if they'd program the things to shift faster. And not upshift in manual mode.

Dodge's DCT isn't all that well accepted either, nor is the one Hyundai is using in the Veloster.
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    edited January 2013
    The VW 6 sp auto Techtronic is a Toyota trans?

I liked it when I drove one with the 2.5 a year ago. But it is an expensive tranny/car to own maintenance-wise. It seemed to be a magnetic fiend for needing to go back to the dealer for the requisite maintenance schedule dealer stamps. And gosh, they aren't cheap. I really liked the car and still haven't replaced or added to the fleet yet, but that maintenance schedule really put me off..
    Well...I shouldn't say put me off yet, but has caused me some reservations.

VW 2.5 5-cyl non-turbo (& even the GTI 4-cyl turbo engine in the Tiguan) uses the Aisin Japanese 6-sp auto tranny. Of course, the programming was requested by VW & not Toyota. Despite being a slush box, the lock-up mode is often. & when this big-displacement 5-cyl kicks off in manual mode through the low 1st gear off the line, it leaps forward way ahead of the traffic every time the light turns green :shades: & all I needed to do is using the "manual mode" for the first second, then shift back into "auto mode" for rest of the low-rpm torquy acceleration! So I did not regret for not having the 5-sp manual, which has an annoying long-reach clutch travel!

Only we lucky North Americans get to have this naturally aspirated version of the semi-"Lamborghini Gallardo 10-cyl engine", which uses timing chain (which saves timing-belt related $ for the owner).

Further more, unlike the DSG double-clutcher, this auto tranny requires zero factory maintenance!

The only thing costly, if at all, is the consumption of regular (& not premium) fuel in city driving.

We are talking about a low-price car that provides near limo-like cushy ride w/o a numb steering!

FYI, the wagon version (Golf in Canada; Jetta in U.S.) imported from Mexico is based on the "costier to build" Mk5, so therefore even more reliable. & I like the wagon's rear-seat comfort way better!
  • kam327kam327 Posts: 115
    Was not the reason they use the DCT in it, for the fuel mileage? From what I've been reading, they sorta failed..and that was even using the (more efficient) dry clutch as opposed to the wet in EU.

It does seem to be working for fuel mileage. Consider the Focus has over 10hp more than the Corolla, Elantra, Civic, etc. and that it gets to 60mph a second quicker or so than them (from several sources), but still gets within 1-2 mpg average of those slower cars.
  • Just bought a used 2012 Ford Focus with about 34k on it. In short, love this car! I heard all the horror stories about the trans prior to buying it. The truth is that it has a different "feel" to it. Does not feel like a traditional automatic, but also does not feel like a manual. I have owned many of each type. This is a hybrid transmission and it has its own feel. Just because it feels different does not mean it is defective. I noticed a slight shudder when I first accelerated during the test drive, which many would equate with a "missing" transmission and therefore a problem. That is not the case with Powershift, it is just the way it works.

You will always hear anecdotal stories from every type of car owner on the planet about whatever particular horror story they are having. The same is true with the Focus. I have read about stalling, missing gears..., but so far I have had none of that. I may eat my words if mine craps out or I get a recall notice from Ford at some point, but right now loving it.
  • Glad you got a good one, Mine was sooo bad I traded it in and will never own a Ford again, Got a dodge Dart and I love it! Good luck with your car!
    That's interesting..Dart, eh? Is it a the dual clutch auto? I sat in one and was impressed with how much seat bottom length they gave it. So many seat bottoms lately are just too short to provide support under your lower thighs unless you're a slight build.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,576
    Drove a Dart at my job today and did enjoy the comfortable seat...nicely bolstered and nice cloth. Got a bit thrashy as I moved up the power band but the sound was distasteful one bit. Hope to get more seat time in the near future. Dodge did a commendable job here folks!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Drove about 10 of these puppies today at work for about 5 miles each from the overflow area back to the rental facility at the airport...most had mileage at 3 or slightly higher...brand new units right off the truck! They had a dark greenish color which was a real looker but red is the only color that really gives this car any justice and in the hatch iteration, it's just plain stunning! Can't really comment on how good/wonky the auto tranny is and will get one within the next few weeks to drive across Alligator Alley here in southern Florida. I think a 4 hour road trip will give me the necessary seat time to form an articulate opinion about how well it works. So far, dare I admit this, but Ford, ya did good with the new Focus folks...real good. Drove a couple of brand new Fusions also and the jury is still out on it. Again, I'm gonna need some quality seat time behind the wheel to formulate an honest opinion here. The exterior looks a bit Jaguarish, but that should surprise no one who knows anything automotive. Not sure how well it's gonna stack up when compared with the Mazda6, the Jetta or the new benchmark in this class, the Honda Accord, probably the best midsize family car on the planet, bar none!

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Oh yea the alley. I was raised out there. Its a good ride now since it was widened. But id have to test one on The palmetto in heavy traffic. I think thats where the dual clutchers suffer the most. There is trade offs in most everything made right?.Whats great on a hyway may not be so great in traffic. Hey is auto nation still around? I was a body shop qc inspector at the now defuncted re-conditioning facility in miramar. I bet I know you.

joe
  • gogogodzillagogogodzilla MarylandPosts: 698
    My previous car, prior to the new Focus, was a VW GTI... which had a dual-clutch.

One of the things I learned was that, for the best response, you need to treat the clutch as a clutch (ie: a manual). So for heavy traffic, you can't simply pull your foot off the brake and immediately slam onto the gas.

Instead, give it the time you'd normally take if you had to press a clutch and move the stick into first... and then press the gas.

Do that, and you'll not experience the herky-jerky start many have complained about in regards to the DCT.

(I mean, if you tried driving a stick like that, you'd get a herky-jerky start as well.)
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    I am just over 12,000 miles on my Focus. I own an SE Hatch in white. 6spd auto shift. It has the sport pkg, sunroof, winter pkg and convience package. I am averaging 33.7 MPG between city and hwy driving. I have just one complaint. the fuel door is flimsy and does not fit
    totally flush with the body of the car. I am however a perfectionist and most people would probably not notice or even care. Other than that the car is solid, no squeaks, rattles or wind noise. I have not had any problems with my transmission. I took it in at about 2,000 miles and it was "re programmed". The car is fun to drive. Took me a bit to figure out how to really use the auto shift (sport mode) in this car. Once you really know how to use it this car will move pretty well and does have some scoot. If I had to do it all over again, I would probably go dark silver or red for color. White is hard to keep clean. I am washing my car once a week on average, weather permitting of course.
    I really like the red hatch and would get that model if I ever do. I find the radio to be difficult to use but since I don't have the time to really learn it, I shouldn't really complain...just looks a bit complicated. I'm sure over time, the tranny would learn my driving style and not be so herky jerky like the units I've had. The rental fleets love these things but I've only driven sedans up to now. The seats do a commendable job I must say. This is the 1st Ford that I would buy...ever!

• If I use the key in the door lock to unlock the car door, then I get soft beeping sound for about 10 seconds then the horn starts blasting. I can stop or prevent this by starting the car before the 10 seconds is up.

Does anyone else have this problem with their 2012 Focus?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Page 173 of the owner's manual:

Disarming the system
    You can disarm the system by any of the following actions:
    • Unlock the doors by pressing the control on your remote entry
    transmitter.
    • Turn the ignition on or start the vehicle.
    • If using a key in the driver’s door to unlock the vehicle, a chime will
    sound when you open the door and you will have 12 seconds to
    disarm the alarm system using any of the actions above, otherwise the
    alarm will trigger.
    Pressing the power door unlock control within the 11 second prearmed
    mode will return the vehicle to a disarmed state.
  • I'm closing in on 5,000 miles with a 2012 SE. Other than a minor initial shudder, the DCT is smooth and runs as advertised. I bought mine rather late in the model year (July) so I believe the tweaks and fixes for the initial bugs were already in place. It was initially herky-jerky, and as I found out later, a computer adjusts for each individual's driving habits, and it began smoothing out after ~2,500 miles. If you wait apx 2 seconds +/- a few tenths, it is practically silky smooth in it's response. Hope this helps.

Don
    Every unit I've driven has had about 6 to 10 miles and the one I drove down to Key West had about 2k on it but was still a bit herky jerky but don't know how many drivers it had had in it's rental lifetime. Still prefer the hatch version as it looks a bit sleeker. Eventually I'll learn how The Sync feature works...as it is now, if the vehicle has Sirius/XM then I listen to that. If not, I plug in my iPod or use the old fashioned cds. Sad that they got rid of the SEL version after just one year. Don't understand the logic in that.