Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2012 Ford Focus

Comments

• gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    Edmunds' Insideline recently posted its 2012 Ford Focus v. 2011 Chevy Cruze comparo.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/focus/2012/comparison-test-2011-chevrolet-cruze-l- tz-vs-2012-ford-focus-titanium.html

Result: Focus soundly stomped the Cruze, although the writer made it a point to note the Cruze's overall decent performance. especially when compared to the Cobalt.
  • gambit293gambit293 Posts: 406
    And another comparo at the Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/cars/newsandreviews/overdrive/2011/03/ford_focus_chevrolet- _cruze_review.html

This one mentions the noteable step-up in quality in both cars, compared to the Korean competitors. The writer also felt the Focus' sport suspension was a tad hard.
  • markus5markus5 Posts: 102
    edited March 2011
    " or even(a)sedan" .(?)

Indeed, looking at pictures only at this point, I think that the sedan is the better looking one. The Hatch from the rear, appears to me much to generic. I know there are optical issues in photographing automobiles. I am looking forward to get to see these cars in person.

Problem however for me is that for those occaisions when you need to expand the trunk, (a bicycle ), is there a fold down seat in the rear available for the sedan ? (split hopefully).
  • tim156tim156 Posts: 308
    The SE, SEL and Titanium have 60/40 fold flat rear seats and the S has a full fold flat rear seat.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    about the '12 Ford Focus sedan looking pretty good. It's true, the hatch looks generic on the sweeping fold around taillight. Have to see the cars in person, including the 2012 Kia Rio hatchback and sedan.

The 2012 Ford Focus is starting to look more and more like a great choice for a solid compact car.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    edited March 2011
    The Ti HB will give you 40 mpg if you get a SFE pkg. Sounds like Super Fuel Injection. I hope it doesn't mean $4.00 91 Octane. :confuse:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Super Fuel Economy. Fiesta has a package by the same name.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    The Forte is clearly Kia's entry into the compact segment. With the addition of the new Forte 5-door hatchback for the 2011 model year, it can now be had in three distinct body styles- 2-door coupe (Koup, that is), 4-door sedan or 5-door Hatchback. The Forte is aimed squarely at the new Focus, Mazda3, Civic and Chevy Cruze!

I've been surprised at how little the Forte 5-door has been publicized since it hit dealer lots last fall!??? Did Kia blow all of their annual marketing budget on all those commercials for the SOUL? They had to save some money by using rodents instead of paid actors in the ads, right? =)
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    edited March 2011
    The SFE Package is only available on the SE 4-door sedan. It includes 16" steel wheels with unique area wheel covers, 16" Low Rolling Resistance Tires, Rear Disc Brakes, Rear Spoiler. It also adds active shutters to the grille intake- they close at higher speeds to reduce aerodynamic drag and open at lower speeds to maximize cooling.

The package is a $495 option and is only available on the SE 4-door sedan with Automatic Transmission. All options available on regular SE 4-door models are available with the SFE Package, with the exception of the SE Sport Package.

I'm surprised that the Power Moonroof can be ordered with the SFE Package. It has always been my experience that a large hole in the roof creates substantial drag!

BTW- those "Unique Aero Wheel Covers" that are part of the SFE Package are HIDEOUS! They would be a deal-breaker for me...I'd just add Low Rolling Resistance Tires to a regular SE 4-door when I could afford to do so and call it a day!

The SFE is rated at 40mpg highway, but all other Focus models with Automatic Transmission get 38mpg! A 2mpg improvement isn't all that amazing when the car already gets 38mpg highway without any engineering heroics! =)
    I think Kia blew their early 2011 marketing budget on the Optima. I am seeing ads for it everywhere, including the Super Bowl. Optima is much more important for Kia than a Forte hatch--even if you and I prefer a Forte hatch.
    I'm surprised that the Power Moonroof can be ordered with the SFE Package. It has always been my experience that a large hole in the roof creates substantial drag!

They must measure the FE with the roof closed.

I'll take the 38 mpg w/o all the heroics, costs, and compromises, thank you.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    I think it depends on what you're watching. Sporting event seem to have a lot of the hamster commercials versus the Optima. Younger demographic for the sporting events has them spending their money on the hipster Soul versus the family sedan. Targeted marketing versus the shotgun approach.
    In other words... everything BUT the Forte hatch. ;)
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,952
    Yeah, I can't remember seeing any ad on the Forte 5dr on TV or in print! I love the exterior but the dash, console and steering wheel leave me cold.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    I just test drove a 2012 Focus SE that the dealer got in a couple days ago. I thought it was going to be a no brainer but I am having a hard time deciding between the focus and the fiesta. Focus is bigger but from what I have read its not going to get 40mpg. The dealer thought I was crazy when I told him I wasn't sure which one I am going to buy.
    The SFE option is rated 40 mpg highway. But 38 w/o it... not bad at all.

I checked out the Fiesta at my local auto show last week and it's a no-op for me--back seat is way too tight, and costs just a little less than a larger car e.g. Elantra. The Focus was "hands off." So I'll be interested to check it out once it arrives at my local dealer. Reviews I've read have been very positive.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited March 2011
    of the new world order 2012 Ford Focus. It's got an intelligent front end design, it draws you in to look closer, then it's doesn't aesthetically disappoint at all. Very, very, very cool design on the new 2012 Ford Focus.

It's the aesthetically-pleasing splittage of the grille

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,663
    Have you calculated your fuel cost per miles driven?

I know for me, 38 or 40 mpg doesn't make much of a $ difference.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Posts: 315
    Backy:
    The Focus has 2" more leg room in the back seat than the Fiesta. I have attached the comparison. Look how close in size everything is. I read reports from car and driver and motor trend and they are getting around 27mpg with the focus. I know they drive like crazy people but that tells me that its going to be more like the Elantra and get in the low 30s versus closer to 40mpg. Plus my local Ford dealer will sell me a Fiesta for under invoice and they are not dealing on the Focus so an equally optioned Fiesta SES hatch is about $4000.00 cheaper than the Focus
    http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=101266476|hatchback&veh2=101364703|- sedan&show=0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8&comparatorId=2834308
    Hmmm... I don't think 2" more will be enough, but I'll have to do a sit test. I think the MT review said the Focus' rear seat was a little tight in leg room. Some review I read recently said that anyway.

No wonder they aren't dealing yet on the Focus... it isn't even officially "on sale" yet! And it's a new design, and by all accounts one of the best cars in the class. Probably not much in the way of discounts for some time.