Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Much Is Brand Legacy Worth To You?

2»

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 4,270
    American business has always been primarily a short term focus about making next quarter's numbers.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,862
    edited December 2010
    I'll have to say that both my BMW and Mazda dealer have treated me very well before and after the sale. That said, the utter lack of reliability displayed by my Mazdaspeed has insured that I will never consider one of their products again.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,748
    is an important part of a brand's legacy for me, as a long time fan of sports car, F1 and endurance racing I gravitate towards those brands that have done well in those arenas. I've never owned a Ferrari or a Porsche but I certainly aspire to. I don't know why people equate Lamborghini with Ferrari. Lambos may be striking and exotic but they have no racing heritage but Ferrari has an unmatched competition heritage.

I'm also a retired advertising guy and I'm keenly aware of brand names and images and I admit I don't mind it if people are impressed because I drive a such and such but the truth is unless you can afford something exotic not many people will even notice.

The reasons I'd rather buy a used BMW or Audi for the same money as a brand new Honda or Toyota have more to do with impressing myself than someone else.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

The reasons I'd rather buy a used BMW or Audi for the same money as a brand new Honda or Toyota have more to do with impressing myself than someone else.

Me too. My interest in BMWs was sparked back in 1969 by David E. Davis Jr.'s classic article "Turn Your Hymnals to 2002". I was in 7th Grade at the time and I finally bought my first BMW(a 1973 Bavaria) in 1983. I appreciate the fact that BMW has a storied racing history as well as a reputation for building driver-focused cars. Yes, Munich takes its eye off the ball every couple of decades or so, but they always manage to get back on track.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport 1975 2002A 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 1999 Wrangler 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2009 328i Son's: 2004 X3 2.5

• I'll typically look first at that brand for which I have purchased a vehicle in the past. However, if the model I'm checking out to buy doesn't turn out to be consistent with past experiences, I'll look elsewhere.
  • xluxlu Posts: 457
    I test drove almost every model in the market; but every purchase ended up with a luxury car. I think the better performance, more features, nicer styling, better warranty and dealer experience justifies for a higher price tag.
  • My air suspension failed on my car yesterday. I have a 02 Mercedes Benz S600. I called the dealer but the price they quoted me was like 6 grand. I was not about to spend that. So im on here looking for other options. anybody got any alternative ideas

Glen
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,310
    Find a good independent mechanic, but it'll probably still set you back 3-4K. Driving an earlier W220 is a risky undertaking. I looked at a car on that platform when it was a few years old, and the complexity scared me away from it.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,205
    I shy away from air suspensions in general. They didn't work back in the 1950s and I wouldn't trust them now. I recall two girls that owned a 1980s Lincoln Mark VII with a failed air suspension and the car was sitting on its axles like a low rider. They obviously didn't have the money to fix it. I wonder if they can convert that Mercedes S600 to regular coil springs? It would be a lot less troublesome and that's what happened to a lot of the cars with failed air suspensions back in the day.
    I'm scared of air suspension too, although from what I have been told the models after 2003 or so are less problematic. Some newer models have actually gone back to partial conventional suspension.

I haven't read of any conversions, but I am sure it is possible given time and money.
    Went to the shop for an oil change today, and what was sitting outside but a 2000-2002 S500, sport package, nice color...with failed front suspension. Butt was somewhat up in the air and the nose was low. Not a flattering pose.
  • I have a 2000 Mercedes Benz and mine air suspension went out in mine. First thing i did was get rid of the air. I couldnt stand it . Caused more problems you will know what to do with. Replacing air bags was getting old. I went to Strutmasters.com and got a conversion kit cost be around 1 thousand but its better than 6 thousand. I just couldnt beat the lifetime warranty. So relieved not to worry about them air bags again!!
  • I have a 2000 Mercedes Benz S600 and mine went out about a month ago. I went to Strutmasters.com , they had a conversion kit to convert my vehicle. I bought that! Highly recommended came with my lifetime warranty too. The system is great now. You should check them out. The ride is just as great as before the air went out.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,748

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• ruking1ruking1 Posts: 15,160
    edited December 2010
    Take EVERY oems model, variant, even newer generations of "proven" existing models with HUGE grains of salt ! Almost all of them follow the faster hit the "RESET" button paridigm of quickest concept to market cycle time.
  • ken117ken117 Posts: 212
    IMHO buying a high priced brand really makes little sense, other than making a person feel superior to those driving a standard brand! In reality, a Caddy is simply an overpriced Chevy, a Lexus an overpriced Toyota. Most of the extras on the high priced brands are more or less unnecessary. More importantly, having purchased vehicles for thirty plus years, I find I can always get a much better deal at a standard brand, such as Honda, than I can at the high priced brand, Acura. High priced dealers seem to think they are entitled to more simply because of the brand. Personally, I find the money I save buying a standard brand over a high priced brand allows me to provide more to my kids, such as a quality education. I find more self-fulfillment in that than I ever would driving a Caddy!
    edited December 2010
    Indeed. One also pay TAXATION through the nose for that feeling ! (in a lot of cases it is a form of justice). In CA, this county has a 9.25% sales tax. The county contiguous, has a 9.75% ST. One also continues to pay throughout the tenure of ownership. I would not put it past CA to go back to the fees in lieu of asset tax !
    Thanks for clearing that up...

• For the past 11 years I have owned a Toyota 4runner. I have loyally the brand and had wanted to buy another 4 runner. Last week the 4Runner died with 270K miles. I can say I did get my moneys worth from the vehicle. When I started to shop for the replacement it was apparent that non of the manufacture have produce a more fuel efficient SUV in 11 year. My 2000 4Runner could get 16 to 19 MPG. The only SUV which could get greater mileage and provide the same lilt compatibility only get an est 19 MPG. so my loyalty to any single manufacture is gone for ever.

car less in Washington DC
    edited January 2011
    GOOD/BAD news !?

I do not want to rain on anyone's parade, but 270,000 miles is far too little miles. To me that falls into the category of premature death. You do not provide details beyond what I have concluded but it would seem the best course is to have it fixed, repair, etc. I sold a 87 TLC with 250,000 miles and after about a years time the person that bought it tracked me down again (yeah, that was my reaction too,... STALKER) Finally he just left a message. It was: if you are planning to sell ANY of your vehicles, would you call me first.....
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,332
    You say your 4runner died. How did it die? What happened?
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,442
    Yeah, cause of death would be really useful here.

We have an 00 Accord that we bought new. My oldest daughter drives it now with more than 200K on the clock. Now to some folks this car would be totaled if out ran out of gas but I'll likely be good for another timing belt on it and keep it rolling.

What constitutes death at this point probably varies a great deal from person to person.
  • Yep, I most definitely feel that status comes with an emblem and would choose a Caddy over a Chevy simply because it's a Cadillac! The symbol is beautiful and oozes status. But, don't think I'm completely shallow! I just purchased a GMC yesterday BUT if money were no object I'd have gone for the Caddy. :)
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,945
    "Jeep plans to expand its line in the 2016 model year with an SUV that accommodates seven adults comfortably, Edmunds has learned.

The model, which is expected to carry the Grand Wagoneer name, will be aimed at current Jeep owners and SUV owners who still require seven-passenger seating but no longer need a full-size SUV."

Seven-Passenger Jeep Grand Wagoneer in the Works

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,142
    edited February 2013
    Seems to me that if you want an SUV that will seat seven adults in comfort, then you have no choice BUT to get a full-sized SUV! Last time I checked, stuff like the Tahoe, Expedition and their offshoots have a third row seat that's intended mainly for kids, and you really need a Suburban or the extended version of the Expedition, if you want an adult-sized third row.

What I'd like to see is for them to take the Ram, and turn it into an SUV. Heck, they could dust off the RamCharger name!
    edited February 2013
    Not a bad idea. Stick a diesel in it - Sergio says the Wrangler will get one, so Dodge may as well offer one too.

"With so many car shopping and research websites and an overall improving inventory of vehicles, consumers often broaden their searches before making a choice. While nearly two-thirds of car buyers start out with a brand in mind, just one in five actually buy that brand, according to a 2012 Compete/Polk/TNS study."

Akerson wants GM to sell vehicles online (Detroit News)

"Younger buyers are living in a more crowded market than their parents, according to Rick Wainschel, vice president for automotive insights at AutoTrader.com. With more options available, they consider more brands, sometimes doubling the number of vehicles they are considering by the time they make a decision."

Online Help to Pick a Car and Make the Down Payment (NY Times)

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,974
    Wow, online begging! You don't even have to get cold hanging out on a street corner. :)

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,142
    "Younger buyers are living in a more crowded market than their parents, according to Rick Wainschel, vice president for automotive insights at AutoTrader.com."

In many respects, that is true. For instance, back in the 1970's, if you wanted a midsized car, you had plenty of nameplates to choose from, probably moreso than today. But, essentially it boiled down to a GM product, a Chrysler product, a Ford product, or if you wanted to be different, an AMC Matador. So, even though you had a wide array of body styles, nameplates, engines, colors, etc, it was still just four basic cars.

But today, in addition to GM, Ford, and Chrysler, we have the Accord, Camry, Altima, Mazda 6, Elantra, Optima, and probably one or two I'm missing.
2»