Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Elantra....transmission failed at 2600 miles!

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,747
    edited December 2010
    The Lord had nothing to do with it.

And you are twisting what I am saying. I never said you were being unreasonable for expecting a transmission to work in a new car. What I think is unrealistic is your stated expectation that every new car be "perfect".

I have a pretty good idea what kind of a person you are also. But I won't say it here. First, I could be wrong. (I have a feeling you aren't wrong very often, true?) Second, it would probably be offensive.

Good luck with your Elantra.

P.S. When I had a serious problem (a design/safety issue, not a component failure) with my first Hyundai, several years ago, I took it up with the President and CEO of HMA. Did you talk to any Hyundai executives about your problem?
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,345
    Wait a second here tho. Ok she came on strong, but has since taken a step back. It helps to get your own wheels back. Nevermind her old car now ok? Ok, so I think she realizes that even new cars have faults. She has learned something, but don't keep bashing her. She has already step back. Give the out now. Otherwise you come across as bullying.

You have to admit that the whole thrill of new car ownership gets a kick in the teeth if you have a major failure in a short period of time. Or not...I don't personally care if you admit it or not.
    I am not one for kicking when someone is down and has admitted defeat. But i'm not you. Anyway, that's the last I'll say on this. She is more than capable of defending herself. I just think it is more fair to acknowledge someone's effort to see the bigger picture, even if at first they didn't.
  • Why do you need to know if I talked to any executives? What difference does that make? Sounds like you may be a little bitter that I got a good deal out of this and you didn't. Hmmm. Next time have a backbone and speak up.

And quite honestly, I don't give a crap what you think of me. You actually think I care what someone over the internet thinks of me? LOL!!

BTW, I'm not twisting anything. Apparently you expect cars to break down as soon as you buy them. I don't.
  • Sarah, I really don't know why you are so defensive and take every little word on the internet as if you have any idea of how the words are being said, but your attitude is not conducive to getting any kind of help.

I never once called you a name or suggested anything bad about you, but you ripped into me for suggesting a $16k car isn't perfect. I was merely stating a fact. If you thought I was degrading you for "only" being able to afford a $16k car, you would be wrong as that would be calling the kettle black since I can't even afford a car that costs that much. I bought a 2010 Accent GS hatchback the same day you bought your Elantra. The funny thing is you ended up taking my advice even if you didn't want to and look who won. You let Hyundai honor their warranty and even got a few car payments thrown in. I bet you just feel peachy keen now don't you? LOL My posts to you were not meant to degrade you in any way, only to try and figure out what answers you were looking for. And there was only one answer, let Hyundai fix your broken car. I'm sorry that answer didn't sound so hot to a frustrated person, but there was no need to be nasty towards me.

Host, can we please shut down and delete this obviously unneeded thread? After all, it is a duplicate thread since there is already a transmission discussion for the Elantra and the person who started this one has seen her problem resolved.
  • You get what you pay for.....which is why i don't drive a hyundai
    Shut it down? And throw out good info here and there? I put a lot of effort into my typing due to a bad arm. There is very good info for random readers in the future in post 12.
    Not all posters start at the most recent post and reads from there. Many of us start at the beginning and work their way through. I see miscommunication and redundancy happen all the time on this site, due to someone jumping in in the middle or near the end of a thread. I'm not saying that happen this time, my point is that while some parts of a thread may appear to be over there are other parts of use. There is also the info that Sarah provided about how well her dealer treated her. This might be useful to someone else down the road. And I don't see any post like it in the other tranny thread.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    But let's stop making personal comments, please. Even veiled personal comments are unnecessary.

Please understand that when people first experience a major issue, they often arrive here pretty upset. I've seen it time & again - they're mad, and then a little time passes, and if things work out, they calm down. It's OK to come here and vent, and regardless of the vehicle, we all know they aren't perfect - but it's understandable to experience frustration when it happens to YOU. Showing a little empathy doesn't hurt, nor does it cost anything.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Was this directed to me somehow cuz of my info posts? I'm trying to interpret your veiled comment and (to me anyway) it was just elusive enough that I'm not sure. And i don't want to keep being a nuisance if that is what you meant? I know I can get off topic, but usually it is related in some way and even if i get off, I'm usually not too far off for very long. I never push myself where I am not wanted or appreciated.

I will say though, that I find comparative comments about other competitive vehicles in any thread, is always interesting and informative to me. And even if it is a plea for help with a problem with the car, sometimes solutions are still found off brand. Granted, you can't sway off brand for so long that you have to go back a few pages to be reminded what thread you are in..
    So tell us your thoughts and impressions of the Sonata after having it a few days? What year was it? Anything you liked about your Elantra better than the Sonata?
    Was the driver seat any more comfortable or supportive? Headlight vision on lo beam, similar between both cars? Was the stereo better? More or less wind and road noise? Ride/handling/steering? That sorta thing..
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    I'm sorry to see that some took my last post as a request. It wasn't. This thread isn't a place for members to defend themselves, nor a place to point the finger at others.

Here's a hot tip: If your post contains the word "you," especially more than once, it's probably about another person rather than the issue or content of the post.

If you have questions or comments about *this* post, please handle it via email rather than posting here. Some off-topic comments and comments that violate our Membership Agreement have been removed.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• The Sonata was fine...it was a 2011. Very nice car. I didn't pay attention to every little thing while I had it...I just wanted my Elantra back. The Sonata of course is a lot more fancy, but I don't need all those things.
  • Well, it seems they don't want to let me know there is something wrong. Get this. I was getting my oil changes done at the dealer just in case there was a problem like the fuel pump (which many remember it was my husband's elantra that caused the major accident in NJ). So I fell and broke my arm on ice last winter. Took it to Midas in town as I couldn't get to the dealer. Midas rotated the tires free and told me the front were going bad. At the time the car at less than 2 yrs old had about 9,000 miles on it. Don't get me wrong...I love this car. What I don't like is what the dealer tells me. So, I called the dealer ...told them the problem and they said bring it in tomorrow. (tires still under warranty). So, it turns out....the whole alignment was off and I got a free alignmnet done. But now to play it safe, I am taking it to Midas again as he is honest, and I want to know if now the back tires put on the front are ok and if the ones going bad on the back are getting worse as when it comes to tires I am a dummy. And ask my husband and all he cares is the condition of his 18 wheeler tires. He tells me have them checked out by someone else. So, I just want my car to stop jerking when I put it in park. And I want it to stop rolling on a slight incline. I never had a vehicle do that before and this time I am going to drive and let the Tech sit as the passenger and I will show him what is wrong. I think they ride down the road by them that has no even little inclines. I am going to a different dealership where they can see all the times it has been taken in for the same problem.
  • I am 55 yrs old. My girlfriends? I am not a teenager and apparently you feel I don't know how to park a car. Well, typical man remark. As far as I am concerned Backy is the one with the knowledge on here. And by the way. When I was 20 yrs old, I PAID a driving instrutor to teach me the PROPER way of driving and parking. So, don't tell me what to do. I know what I am doing. And by the way...I lived in NJ for 15 yrs and everyone knows Jersey drivers are the worst. And I never had a problem as I was taught the PROPER way to drive, park and USE the parking brake. If you read my whole thing you would have seen it does it on a flat surface/end of driveway incline. This was a typical man comment telling someone they thought was a youngster who had no knowledge of driving. And YES...I did read the manual. And YES. .. I know how to park. But you have no idea what my car is doing. You are not in it when it does it. And last week it happened pulling into a Full Service gas station and the mechanic came out when he heard my car when I stopped it. And so much for you telling me to read my manual. He told me the Dealer does not want to fix a new car. And has let it go on for 2 yrs now. Well, it's going to a different dealer as I am moving next week. And lets see if they think I need to read the manual too or if they fix it. Because you will be the first to know.
    Let's hope you can find a dealer service dept. that will give you good service, more like what Sarah got.

One thing to ask them when you bring it to the new dealer (maybe you have already tried this): of course, ask the service writer to get in the car with you so he/she can see first-hand what you are describing. PLUS... ask if you can both try out an Elantra of the same year--or at least the same generation. They will likely have a new 2010 on the lot, or at least a used 2007-10 with automatic. (Try to get the new car if possible.) Then try exactly the same things on that car. If it demonstrates the same behavior as yours, it's possible the car is "acting as designed" (even if that isn't the way you want it to behave). It's also possible both cars are messed up, but less likely that a car picked at random will have the same problem yours does, if it is in fact a defect. And if this other car does NOT act like yours (i.e. acts more like you expect it to act) then the dealer has clear evidence to fix it under warranty.
    I simply can't believe the number of assumptions you made and how wrong you got them all. I am not surprised you don't have any GF's. And nowhere did i say you were a teenager. You are unbelievably defensive. I was trying to help. Boy, do I regret that. I am convinced this thread is absolutely cursed.
    As for you and the issue you think you have with your car?...I am a proponent of karma on this one..
    I am so outta here.
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    "Let's hope you can find a dealer service dept. that will give you good service, more like what Sarah got. "

Ive got two dealers in my area for Hyundai...one(the selling dealer) essentially gave up on me and my 2009 Elantra Touring issues, and the other who seems to be more interested in helping me, but havent resolved much of anything( yet).
  • Well, it seems like there is another problem with my brand new Elantra. This evening I noticed that when I slow down, whether it be at a red light, or when I'm turning right or left onto another street, there is a clanging noise coming from the engine. It doesn't happen every time, but I heard it at least 3 or 4 times. Back to the dealership I go in the morning!

What fun!! I'm SO glad I bought a new car!!
    Maybe they didn't tighten down everything underneath, e.g. a heat shield, when installing the new transmission. Did you notice this noise before the transmission was replaced?
  • No, this is the first I've heard of it. If they didn't tighten something down, wouldn't I hear it before now? I picked up the car on Wednesday.
    Not if something wasn't tightened down enough and just now worked loose so you could hear it.

But that's supposition. If you were William Shatner, I'd guess it could be a gremlin under the car pulling parts off and tossing them onto the street. Have you seen a man with black hair, a dark suit, and smoking a cigarette standing off to one side recently, muttering something like "Submitted for your approval..."? (Sorry, very obscure reference.)
  • Agree with Backy on this one. A lot of stuff has to be disconnected to get to the transmission. They have to drop the subframe which is what the suspension is attached to and the exhaust system, as well as unplug god knows how many electrical connections. More than likely it's something that was not put back in it's rightful place or not tightened down enough, like a heat shield.
  • Thanks for the information....both of you. I didn't think this had anything to do with it, but about 15 minutes before I started hearing the noise last night, a crow flew into my car....LOL (And two weeks after I bought the car, I ran over a bunny....my car is the devil) However, the crow hit right above the windshield on the roof of the car....so I honestly don't think this had anything to do with the noise.

I only heard it once last night, and then the noise was gone this morning. I did take it to Hyundai again this morning before work, and when they test drove it, they could not duplicate the noise. They did look everywhere...even took the tires off but found nothing wrong with my car. *knock on wood*.....I haven't heard the noise again.
    Probably was the remaining bits of bunny thumping off the underside of the car.
  • I've been lurking in this thread. You're right. You should have never had problems with the trans on a brand new car. I hope you get it all worked out. But when I look at hyundai and kia discussions, I can see this is not uncommon for them. An automatic transmission is not a new thing.

It is actually a pretty simple device and building a quality one in a new car is not a challange. For yours to have trouble at 2600 miles is not normal at all. If your car was an airplane it would have fallen from the sky. I don't get why a lot of the people who responded don't get that.
    "If your car was an airplane it would have fallen from the sky. I don't get why a lot of the people who responded don't get that."

Parts used in an airplane are held to a much higher sampling standard than those used in cars. (units pulled from the factory line for random testing)

She obviously had a major component failure. And even more obvious, very prematurely. But since we don't read about this being a troublesome tranny, proves this is one of an extremely low number of isolated incidents. Possibly the only one. There are some weird things happen at a factory level that sometimes get discovered, and sometimes (most) not.

I'll never forget many years ago discovering a small carved wooden boat that was installed INSIDE the watercooling track of an old Evinrude outboard motor. The engine would overheat and no one could figure out why. Some lowlife factory worker who decided to play a prank, PUT that carving inside the motor. Had it lodged someplace else that didn't block the flow of cooling water, it might have never been discovered.
  • Hi, thanks for the post. Yeah, I really didn't understand all the negative and condescending feedback I received, but whatever. As I said, it wasn't a broken tail light or a switch on the radio that broke. It was the *transmission*. But so far, everything has been working fine, except I have noticed sometimes it still doesn't "catch" when I'm driving when it automatically shifts. I've read elsewhere that this is a problem for Elantra's.

I guess it's a good car, but I'm still not 100% happy nor do I feel 100% safe.
  • If it's doing that you should note when it's doing it, ie when it's warm, just starting out or all the time. Then take it to the dealer and let them know. Don't accept subpar in your new car. Hyundai has had a reputation for subpar quality. I hope that's changing. But the only way we get them to change is to insist on it. You may also have lemon law protection in your state. They're there to be used if you need them.