Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Elantra....transmission failed at 2600 miles!

Comments

• Criticizing me by telling me that I should expect it because it was a $16K car is not helpful.

Yes, post #12 was good info but I always use my parking brake regardless. And yes, my car is an automatic.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    "Criticizing me by telling me that I should expect it because it was a $16K car is not helpful. "

I did not tell you that. On that I happen to agree with you. Some posts you have to weed out the good info and drop the other I guess. Glad they got you fixed up so quickly. Wow, that is fast to re and re a tranny. They must have had one in stock. It sounds like they might have given you a br new tran? Either that or the problem wasn't huge inside it.
  • Well, it happened over the weekend....I had it towed into the dealership on Saturday morning. They didn't have one in stock...they had to order it. And yeah, they gave me a brand new one.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    I don't think anyone EXPECTS a transmission to fail. Usually they don't, especially on a new car. I haven't had an auto tranny failure in nearly 40 years of driving, but maybe my luck will run out someday.

A major problem on a new car can be frustrating. But maybe it can help to focus more on how the problem is dealt with, vs. the fact it happened (since problems WILL happen on cars). If the dealership doesn't react properly to a problem like that and take care of you, then that's something that can be complained about with some hope of correction, since it's all about human and corporate behavior. Machines are another story... they can and do fail sometimes, and not much we can do about that except take good care of them as they grow old and hope they will take care of us.
    Out of curiosity, can you please try to explain what the tranny did when you realized it failed or was failing? Slipping, locked up, wouldn't up or downshift? etc
  • Sure. I first realized there was a problem this past Thursday. I was going to lunch with my boss, and when I put the car in reverse (it's an automatic) it kind of took a few seconds before it got into gear, and then it jerked a little. It drove fine, and then on Friday when I left work I was turning right at a light, and I accelerated normally, but the RPM shot WAY up and the engine got incredibly loud. It obviously wasn't shifting. Then it returned to normal....I got home fine. Then on Saturday morning I left my house to run a couple of errands, and I couldn't get it above 20MPH. So, that's when I called AAA and got it towed to the dealership.
    Hmmm, so could be almost anything, but does sound like it has an oil pickup starvation issue, or bad torque convertor (that's the thing that lets you stop and still be in gear without stalling the engine).
    Its great that they gave you a br new tranny and delivery of the part was pretty quick. Impressive really. So what extra deal did you get them to reward you with cuz of the stress and hassle?

Assuming they did a good job, I'd say you have yourself a pretty good dealer. Made the issue as stress-free as is reasonably possible. Some would want to 'fix' the tranny, and have u in a loaner Accent for weeks on end while they do it. And then you get it back and the interior smells of shop smells include exhaust smells etc. In very small town shops you might even get body shop dust migrating over. And while they are suppose to have your windows up and the HVAC controls set on recirculate, this doesn't always happen.
  • Yeah, I don't really know what the exact problem was, but I forgot to mention that the car also wouldn't go into reverse at all on Saturday.

All in all, I have to say I was very impressed with the quick service...it is a good dealership. They put me in a Sonata loaner for four days..that was nice.

To compensate me, Hyundai is paying two of my car payments for me.

I probably wouldn't have been this upset if I hadn't had all the problems going on in my old car. I had been driving a 1999 Acura Integra...80K miles on it and for the last year I was starting to have problem after problem. At first it was general maintenance (tires, brakes, etc) then over the summer I had to replace the exhaust system, then a month later the computer in the transmission went. That's when I started to look for another car. A lot of people I know recommended the Elantra, and once I researched it and then finally test drove it, I knew that was it. I was so tired of breaking down every other week in my Acura, the relief I felt after I drove away in my new Elantra was indescribable. Then two months later, this happens.

Anyway, I hope I don't have to deal with something like this for a very long time. I know it was a fluke, that this was extremely rare, but it was just frustrating as hell.
    So what you are telling us is, your 11-year-old car had one part fail, a computer in the transmission (all the rest of the stuff was apparently wear items wearing out), and you got upset about "all the problems" with the car.

IMO you got really good service from that Acura, to have one part fail after 11 years.

And as I and others here have tried to tell you... NO car is indestructable. Unreasonable expectations are likely to lead to disappointment, whether it's one of the most reliable car brands ever (Acura) or a Hyundai.

And you got a free loaner (a better car than your Elantra) while yours was being repaired, plus two payments! Wow. I would be very pleased with that kind of dealer response to a problem if a similar thing had happened to me. I've owned new cars that I had to have in the shop several times in the first year for multiple problems. Never got a free loaner or car payments or anything like that. Hyundai took very good care of you.
  • "So what you are telling us is, your 11-year-old car had one part fail, a computer in the transmission (all the rest of the stuff was apparently wear items wearing out), and you got upset about "all the problems" with the car."

*Sigh*....I had quite a few problems with the Acura through the years, sorry I didn't name them all. I SAID....this last year it was just one thing after another.

Excuse me if my expectations were "unreasonable". How SILLY of me to think the transmission would work on a brand new car.

Good lord.

Of course I got a free loaner. I've never heard of anyone that had to pay for a loaner when something like this happens.

Sorry you didn't get payments or a free loaner. Sounds like you are the type of person to keep your mouth shut because you expect these things to happen.
    edited December 2010
    The Lord had nothing to do with it.

And you are twisting what I am saying. I never said you were being unreasonable for expecting a transmission to work in a new car. What I think is unrealistic is your stated expectation that every new car be "perfect".

I have a pretty good idea what kind of a person you are also. But I won't say it here. First, I could be wrong. (I have a feeling you aren't wrong very often, true?) Second, it would probably be offensive.

Good luck with your Elantra.

P.S. When I had a serious problem (a design/safety issue, not a component failure) with my first Hyundai, several years ago, I took it up with the President and CEO of HMA. Did you talk to any Hyundai executives about your problem?
    Wait a second here tho. Ok she came on strong, but has since taken a step back. It helps to get your own wheels back. Nevermind her old car now ok? Ok, so I think she realizes that even new cars have faults. She has learned something, but don't keep bashing her. She has already step back. Give the out now. Otherwise you come across as bullying.

You have to admit that the whole thrill of new car ownership gets a kick in the teeth if you have a major failure in a short period of time. Or not...I don't personally care if you admit it or not.
    I am not one for kicking when someone is down and has admitted defeat. But i'm not you. Anyway, that's the last I'll say on this. She is more than capable of defending herself. I just think it is more fair to acknowledge someone's effort to see the bigger picture, even if at first they didn't.
  • Why do you need to know if I talked to any executives? What difference does that make? Sounds like you may be a little bitter that I got a good deal out of this and you didn't. Hmmm. Next time have a backbone and speak up.

And quite honestly, I don't give a crap what you think of me. You actually think I care what someone over the internet thinks of me? LOL!!

BTW, I'm not twisting anything. Apparently you expect cars to break down as soon as you buy them. I don't.
  • Sarah, I really don't know why you are so defensive and take every little word on the internet as if you have any idea of how the words are being said, but your attitude is not conducive to getting any kind of help.

I never once called you a name or suggested anything bad about you, but you ripped into me for suggesting a $16k car isn't perfect. I was merely stating a fact. If you thought I was degrading you for "only" being able to afford a $16k car, you would be wrong as that would be calling the kettle black since I can't even afford a car that costs that much. I bought a 2010 Accent GS hatchback the same day you bought your Elantra. The funny thing is you ended up taking my advice even if you didn't want to and look who won. You let Hyundai honor their warranty and even got a few car payments thrown in. I bet you just feel peachy keen now don't you? LOL My posts to you were not meant to degrade you in any way, only to try and figure out what answers you were looking for. And there was only one answer, let Hyundai fix your broken car. I'm sorry that answer didn't sound so hot to a frustrated person, but there was no need to be nasty towards me.

Host, can we please shut down and delete this obviously unneeded thread? After all, it is a duplicate thread since there is already a transmission discussion for the Elantra and the person who started this one has seen her problem resolved.
  • You get what you pay for.....which is why i don't drive a hyundai
    Shut it down? And throw out good info here and there? I put a lot of effort into my typing due to a bad arm. There is very good info for random readers in the future in post 12.
    Not all posters start at the most recent post and reads from there. Many of us start at the beginning and work their way through. I see miscommunication and redundancy happen all the time on this site, due to someone jumping in in the middle or near the end of a thread. I'm not saying that happen this time, my point is that while some parts of a thread may appear to be over there are other parts of use. There is also the info that Sarah provided about how well her dealer treated her. This might be useful to someone else down the road. And I don't see any post like it in the other tranny thread.
  • But let's stop making personal comments, please. Even veiled personal comments are unnecessary.

Please understand that when people first experience a major issue, they often arrive here pretty upset. I've seen it time & again - they're mad, and then a little time passes, and if things work out, they calm down. It's OK to come here and vent, and regardless of the vehicle, we all know they aren't perfect - but it's understandable to experience frustration when it happens to YOU. Showing a little empathy doesn't hurt, nor does it cost anything.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Was this directed to me somehow cuz of my info posts? I'm trying to interpret your veiled comment and (to me anyway) it was just elusive enough that I'm not sure. And i don't want to keep being a nuisance if that is what you meant? I know I can get off topic, but usually it is related in some way and even if i get off, I'm usually not too far off for very long. I never push myself where I am not wanted or appreciated.

I will say though, that I find comparative comments about other competitive vehicles in any thread, is always interesting and informative to me. And even if it is a plea for help with a problem with the car, sometimes solutions are still found off brand. Granted, you can't sway off brand for so long that you have to go back a few pages to be reminded what thread you are in..
    So tell us your thoughts and impressions of the Sonata after having it a few days? What year was it? Anything you liked about your Elantra better than the Sonata?
    Was the driver seat any more comfortable or supportive? Headlight vision on lo beam, similar between both cars? Was the stereo better? More or less wind and road noise? Ride/handling/steering? That sorta thing..