Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Elantra....transmission failed at 2600 miles!

1235»

Comments

• You dont always get what you pay for. A lot of times you pay for the name. Hyundai is just as good as honda and toyota. Honda and toyota are very good but overpriced. The new hyundais got a better rating than both honda and toyota. Even used hondas and toyotas are too expensive.
  • Dude, relax. Quit yelling at me for something I got upset for over TWO YEARS AGO.
  • Bought a Certified Used 2010 Hyundai Elantra in Oct of 2012 and now just 4 months latter it needs a new transmission! It only has 32K miles on it. When I went to buy this car I did extensive research and nowhere did they mention this problem. I am very disappointed with the car reviews out there. I drive 27 miles each way to work on a mountain road and need a totally reliable car. In my search for a new car I first looked at recalls and service notices, then safety, then mileage. The Hyundai Elantra was touted as a great car, better than Toyota and Honda of that year. I steered clear of Toyota because of all of their recalls and Honda was out of my price range. Why isn't there a site out there that includes 'real' reviews by owners and not just what the manufacture says.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    edited February 2013
    There are, and it is all on this and other websites. You just need to read hundreds and hundreds of notes over a long period of time. It takes a lot of work and patience. I have posted many times on the Elantra Touring board that my 2010 ET needed a new tranny, much like others out there. I knew of the issue ahead of time by not only relying on Edmunds, but also going to i-30 websites around the world to see what my new car would bring me over time. I was prepared to push my dealer to give me a new tranny when the symptoms began. They tried to pin in on me not getting the tranny flushed at the proper interval. At 42,000 miles, I was nowhere near the interval outlined in my manual. I asked them for a discounted price on the flush, got it done, then took it back to the dealer a month later to get my new transmission and demand my money back from the unnecessary flush. I got both. Remember, most people are unaware of how a car works. They just turn the key and go. I know cars, and understand the moment something is wrong on my vehicles. Most people would not notice subtle changes and continue to rate their car as "outstanding" even though, while they may not notice it, their transmission is starting to shift funny and their fluid is turning grey very rapidly. Do people who rate plumbers and electricians really know anything about those tradecrafts? No; they just know the company swept up after themselves and did an adequate job. It is the same with cars. Most people rating their car in consumer magazines have little expertise in auto mechanics and are just content that there is air in their tires and the car gets them from point A to B.
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    I appreciated your post. You touch on some good points. As an example your electrician comment. I contract in my area and when I do an addition or whatever, often they will have me do the wiring and plumbing too. I have found kitchen outlets with neutral/hot reversed. For those that don't know the implications of that, is this: Hot/neutral reverse will still power your kettle or toaster or whatever in a way that you would never realize it was wired wrong. The toaster would toast perfectly..the kettle would boil water exactly the same as a properly wired circuit. The kicker is...plug in any normal table lamp into that same mis-wired receptacle, and when you change a light bulb, that thread aluminum portion of the bulb that a person mistakenly can easily touch when unscrewing or screwing the new one in, is actually HOT. When wired correctly, that same portion of the bulb is neutral and not as dangerous if you were to complete the circuit by standing in wet feet on the floor (as an example) resulting in a potentially fatal shock..even from just 120 volts.

Now here's the kicker #2. That receptacle I tested in their kitchen??? they said was installed by a so-called licensed electrician...obviously one who was NOT doing anything they remembered in their school of trade to get that license. Either that or a Monday morning hangover install...either way, totally unacceptable.

Certain repairs on cars are not much different....but you don't discover the incompetent repair till it is too late.
  • kylue73kylue73 Posts: 1
    My 2010 elantra with 48500 miles on it needs a new transmission. And Hyundai tried to give a hard time replacing it.
  • tampachrissietampachrissie Posts: 4
    edited November 2013
    I posted above that I had my transmission replaced a year ago. I wanted to also share all the other warranty work my 2010 has needed:
    Ignition (x2) - it locks up and gets very hot
    AC - valve replaced
    Drivers Sunshade Mirror cover - cracked mirror cover -replaced
    Shifter knob replaced - silver trim was peeling & sharp
    Driver interior door handle replaced - silver trim was peeling & sharp
    Trim under windows - cracked -being replaced
    Trim along windshield - cracked - being replaced
    Trim under roof rack - cracked - replaced

Issues they won't repair:
    Clear coat on paint exterior door handles bubbling
    I have the upgraded cloth seats and they're complete crap - they stain when you look a them
    Trim around sun roof is cracking

I live in Florida so I am probably seeing sun damage earlier than most. I still enjoy driving this car and it is the perfect size for me. But I'm over all the repairs. My warranty will be up in a few months. :cry: :mad:
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    Yes, a carport parking area if possible would help. As would manufacturers finding just a decent sweet spot regarding how recyclable the plastics are. It's like they are making them break down far too soon.
  • nomorehyuandainomorehyuandai Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Thanks to all with the wonderful updates. I have a 2010 ET bought new in 09. At about 23K the trans would slip than shift hard between 2nd and 3rd. Took it tothe dealer and no questions asked they said HYUNDAI wanted to see the trans and they would give me a "new" one (I wonder if "new" is a refurb). Around 45K the trans started doing the hard shifts again but I thought no way, I must be hallucinating. Also I noticed the ride was real rough and the hatch squeaked when flexed/opening/closing. So today, at 52K, I brought in for warranty review, and they said trans was fine, just need flush and flash of ECM for trans (never heard of that in a trans svc before) due to fluid being very dark. I then asked if it was normal for trans fluid to be so dark after 29K. They said yes and needed to perform trans flush in the event my trans failed in the future - like they new it would be back! So I approved the flush.
    They found that clunking from front was from sway bar end links, so they replaced and car drives 100 times better. The also found hatch supports needed to be replaced, and they would under warranty.
    Today, after picking up car from completed repairs, I was driving to get my daughter. I went into her school to get her, and when I put car in reverse - reverse was nearly gone. It did a neutral-drop type shift and suprised the heck out of me. Come to find as Jettech5 says that it takes it 5-10 secs to engage - it is almost like being on a trans brake in reverse. Took car back to dealer and they will "contact me tomorrow" with an update. Any suggestions as to what to ask for in frustrations? Is there a lemon law in IL if it needs another trans?
  • Old forum, so I'm not sure what good posting here will do. In the old days (the early to late 1990s), Hyundais were infamous for being junk cars. A friend had one. Yes, they had the warranty but they didn't care how many times the consumer had to bring it in to be fixed for the same problem.

A transmission dying at under 3k miles is not just a part not working. It's a major repair and I would be outraged. It's now 2014 and this is the problem about which I am concerned and Consumer Reports needs to follow this (they rated it on a drive test just under the Subaru in their 2013 CR car mag). The parts I've seen - battery, tires, spare - and the unseen parts (they're called unknown risks - are cheap and the rest are likely cheap (like my dealership where the guys don't know how to operate the computers in the car).

Sarah, I'm definitely on your side. I have not experienced it but understand your anger and frustration. I haven't had anything like this happen to me but I've seen the cheap. I've mainly been dealing with dopes at the dealership. They're the face of the company and since they've proven their lack of worth, why should I trust anything beyond it.

• @kylue73 said: My 2010 elantra with 48500 miles on it needs a new transmission. And Hyundai tried to give a hard time replacing it. Again, not surprised. I figure I'll get some reporters on the issue when problems come up. If they're enough issues and they may affect your life, attention will be placed on the manufacturer (maybe).

I read a bunch of metric-related data on the internet. Many of you probably saw the push for Hyundai during the Super Bowl. It's the adverting/marketing that's pushing up their mark. It's also getting y'all to register on Hyundai's website so they can keep track of you and market to you (and me but I clearly told them nothing was going on their website from me and I refused to give them a VIN).

The cars supposedly got better since I last look at the piece of junk and took two for a test drive many years ago. It feels good and I am concerned about what will go wrong because customer support at corporate is useless and I don't trust the local service at the dealership to repair the car right since I was lied to by the service manager (explained by the general manager - he was just trying to bring in business).

1235»