Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• Hi, I have a 2010 Edge but when my dealer called and told me the new 2011 Explorer was in I went for a test drive and loved it so I ordered one! It finally went into production 2 weeks ago - how long will it take to be delivered? I can't wait to get my new SUV!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    You imply that you know how to drive a four wheeler yet you're going to look at the new F/awd Ford Explorer...?

You must be one of those flatlanders that don't need a true "AWD" system or else you're willing to disregard the poor safety record of F/awd vehicles on adverse condition roadbeds.
  • This poster has never provided evidence for these claims, which for many months he has repeatedly placed on several sites in the car blog universe. Like all such claims, these would best be ignored for what they are.
    edited February 2011
    Rather than make "blanket" statements like those above, post # 101, why not make counter-claims refuting my position and maybe showing you have the knowledge and experience indicating you have good foundation for your adversarial statements.
  • I tried my clubs yesterday, 2/25/11, in a dealer's 2011 Explorer: they JUST fit (i.e. if the driver cover was 1/4" thicker they wouldn't have) at the very rear.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,972
    What did you so much better than the '10 Edge?
  • buckle1buckle1 Posts: 5
    I have been trying to find a 2011 XLT or Limited Explorer and they are NO where to be found here in Atlanta. It seems that Ford is WAY behind on production. This is likely to force me to buy an other product...Can't believe we are in March and there is NO inventory????
    I'd like to think that maybe Ford came to their senses regarding building a FWD Ford Explorer, halted production until the factory can be retooled to build an Explorer sized Expedition.

Or maybe a clone of the Porsche Cayenne or the VW equivalent.

Were I in charge at Ford I would "license" the Cayenne design in totality, including the Cayenne hybrid w/DFI but without the forced induction.

Fuel will undoubtedly hit $4.00 this week.
    edited March 2011
    But on the other hand I can't imagine that a FWD "womanized" Ford Explorer would expect to find a very big market in areas such as Atlanta. So maybe they're just not shipping them there...?

Ford Explorer, FWD gas-guzzling GAS-HOG...!

Wrong time and place.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,653
    edited March 2011
    Wrong time and place.

Ford Explorer, FWD gas-guzzling GAS-HOG...!

Here we go again.

I've seen several new Explorers on the road here. I was getting my Expedition serviced at my local Ford dealer a few weeks ago and they had 3 on the lot parked next to service with a sold tag on them.

As for being a gas hog, I guess your right it if you compare it to something like a CRV. But it's fuel economy is pretty good compared to other SUVs that offer similar size and room.

I hope you're over at the Dodge Durago spewing your BS about FE too. It and the Grand Cherokee are worse. Toyota Highlander? Very nice vehicle that sells well and gets about the same economy 1 mpg less highway than the Explorer. Honda Pilot? 1mpg less city/hwy.
    I'd like to think that maybe Ford came to their senses regarding building a FWD Ford Explorer, halted production until the factory can be retooled to build an Explorer sized Expedition.

And what would that accomplish? I like my Expedition just the way it is. An Ecoboost v6 or better yet 4-5L diesel option would be perfect. I don't want it any smaller. If I wanted something smaller, I'd buy the current Explorer or something like it.
    edited March 2011
    Were I in charge at Ford I would "license" the Cayenne design in totality, including the Cayenne hybrid w/DFI but without the forced induction.

Yeah, I'm sure $70+k Explorers that only seat 5 that will get at most a whopping increase of 1-3mpg will just fly off the lots.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,972
    "Ford said the crucial new Explorer has been the fastest-turning vehicle in showrooms for the first two months this year, and although its sales total of 9,657 for February remains a far cry from the Explorer’s glory days of more than twice that much, it still represents a promising turnaround for the nameplate that for the past several years has been all but ignored by evolving U.S. buyers."

After Plump Feb, Automakers Party Like It's 1999 (AutoObserver)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Ford HAS a low performance Cayenne - it's the Edge. Which is expensive enough as it is. Ford can't sell cars at the Porsche price point.
    I've never been a fan of the Durango and Jeep was dropped from my list once Chrysler aquired it.

I guess I harp on Ford because I've always been a fan and just expect more.

Ford clearly knows how to build a DFI, Direct Fuel Injection, engine as that's one of the two main features of the "EcoBoost" moniker. So why are we stuck with a N/A V6 with SFI when DFI would allow it to have a 12:1 compression ratio and therefore not seen a gas-guzzler in comparison.

It's bad enough that the "EcoBoost" engine series runs most of the time in Gas-guzzling detuned/derated mode but why must the N/A V6 also suffer..?

Ford has the design and manufacturing capability to builb N/A DFI engines so why not put it to use across the board...?
    My assumption is that unlike Porsche or VW Ford could build a Stripped down Cayenne "clone" at a price comparable to the new Explorer. Then we would have a STELLER R/awd system and a N/A DFI V6 engine.

Factory in Mississippi..?
    "..promising turnaround..

Ford says that they want to populate 80% of their fleet with the EcoBoost engine within the next 2-3 years. And charge a $4000 to $7,000 premium for same...?

Good luck with that...!
    edited March 2011
    So why are we stuck with a N/A V6 with SFI when DFI would allow it to have a 12:1 compression ratio and therefore not seen a gas-guzzler in comparison.

Well, considering the few competing vehicles that are similar in size weight that do use DFI, the difference in FE is negligible.

Use the base Cayenne for example. It's similar in size and weight and power to the Explorer. It uses a 300hp DI 3.6 v6. The Explorer uses a 290hp 3.5 v6 with SFI.

The Cayenne has an 8speed trans, weighs 4400lbs and is 191" long. The Explorer weighs over 4,700lbs, is a 197" long, has a 6speed trans and the fuel economy for the Explorer is 17/23 vs 16/23 for the Porsche.

I ask how is one considered a gas guzzler and the other not?

While I'm all for the latest and greatest technologies that improve both efficiency and performance, I don't see DI being the silver bullet you claim it to be. Sure it has the potential to improve FE. But it's certainly not enough alone to make a gas guzzler a fuel sipper. Not going to happen w/o other types of changes.
    Ford says that they want to populate 80% of their fleet with the EcoBoost engine within the next 2-3 years. And charge a $4000 to $7,000 premium for same...?

Good luck with that...!

Where do you get your info. According to Ford's website. Going from a 3.7v6 to an Ecoboost v6 from the 5.0 v8 can be as little at $1,500 depending on the config of the truck.

But yeah, if you look up a base regular cab, short bed XL trim f150 with the base v6 and want to get the Ecoboost it will cost $4,300, but that also means going to an 8' bed.

If Ford decides to charge $4k plus to go the an Ecoboost 4cyl from the v6 in the Explorer, they simply won't sell many.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,972
    Dealers here in CT are running out of inventory also.
    Local dealer had 7 a couple of weeks ago, now down to 2.
    Those 2 are a Limited for 48k+ and an XLT 39k, no moonroof.
    They sold their last 2010 which I sort of had my eye on.
    msrp was 43k+
    It seems to me that if DFI provides enough "headroom" to accommodate the boost of a turbo then going DFI only would/could provide somehing in the range of 20% FE inprovement.

Compare the Cadillac DFI V6 with the non DFI V6.
    Compare the Cadillac DFI V6 with the non DFI V6.

I have. In the CTS, the DI 3.6 gets a whopping 1 mpg increase on the highway and the same city rating versus a non DI 3.6. It does provide about 50 more HP.

Going down to GM's 3.0 DI v6 gets the same mileage as the DI 3.6.

I've yet to see an example where a DI alone gets anywhere near a 20% increase in fuel economy.

The DI 3.0 in the Cadillac SRX AWD gets the same mileage as the "gas guzzling" Explorer w/o DI in AWD form has 265hp vs 290 in the Explorer and weighs 400lbs less.

What am I missing here?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,042
    What am I missing here?

Bias.
    Subtract the additional displacement volume or HP to get "equal to equal" and adjust the FE numbers accordingly and what do you get...??
    edited March 2011
    Subtract the additional displacement volume or HP to get "equal to equal" and adjust the FE numbers accordingly and what do you get...??

What you get is no where near a 20% increase in fuel economy that I've seen.

Why am I doing all of the work;) But I'll bite one last time.

Okay, I'll do it your way. The closest example I can find would be to compare a Honda Accord with a Hyundai Sonata. They both use 4 cylinder engines displacing 2.4L. As many know, the Hyundai uses DI and produces 198hp and 184 ft-lbs of torque.

The Accord's 2.4L 4 cylinder is not direct injected and produces 190HP and 162 ft-lbs of torque. So the Hyundai produces a little more power. As for FE the Accord has a 5speed auto and the Hyundai uses a 6 speed. The Accord appears to weigh a 100lbs or so more than the Sonata. That aside, the FE is:

Sonata 22/35
    Accord 23/34.

Using your logic, the Sonata should be getting 26/42.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,206
    2011 Ford Explorer...

And.. I'd like to hear about the actual vehicle...

Thanks!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Hi buckle1,

My name is Seni from Ford Customer Service. I see that you are having a hard time finding an Explorer. We would be happy to find a dealer near you that has one available. Please feel free to call the Customer Relationship Center at 800-392-3673 at your convenience. We are unfortunately unable to address your concern on a public forum.

Kind regards,
    Seni
    Ford Customer Service Division
  • occupant1occupant1 Posts: 408
    I don't see how they're not available in Atlanta. Even the one horse dealer in Hillsboro TX has two of these things. They had three a couple weeks ago. All different. There were two white Limiteds and a red XLT before, now there's a red Limited and a maroon XLT. Still haven't seen a base model with the hubcaps, but then again we'll probably go with an XLT to get the Touch, Power Tailgate, and Charcoal interior. Seems you can no longer get the black cloth interior on the base model like the configurator on the FordVehicles website used to offer. So an XLT it is. The Texas Ford Dealers website lets me search all over the place. Is there not a dealer-run website for Georgia Ford Dealers? I can't seem to find one. But I searched a few random north Georgia dealers and see plenty of 2011 Explorers. Try Blue Ridge, Cherokee-Woodstock or Sandy Springs, they have two each. Wade has four. Even Cherokee in Alpharetta has one. Gwinnet Place and Bleakley have not updated their website to include the 2011 Explorer. Don't feel bad. Even JC Whitney hasn't added it to their makes/models database.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 8,011
    I sat in a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited at a local auto show. The interior was gorgeous - Audi caliber. I was also impressed with the Explorer's fit & finish.

I'm looking for an SUV as my next vehicle. I still love my 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH that just hit 138,000 miles on my way home from work last night. I need something with more space (I've got a house & 2 boys now), 3 rows of seats, and 4 wheel drive.

I'm really just in the research stages right now & am probably not going to buy anything until the end of next summer. The 3 trucks I'm most interested in are the Ford Explorer, Dodge Durango, & Honda Pilot.

I think the Pilot is going to be redesigned sometime in the near future, but I like the fact that it is 1st and foremost a Honda. I like the boxy shape, flat folding floor, & the fact that the 3rd row has LATCHes for car seats. The EX-L with Navigation (4WD) is priced just right.

The Explorer is beautiful as far as trucks/SUVs go. Has a gorgeous interior & a loaded XLT has all the gadgets I want (Except HID headlights).

The Durango is very manly. The optional HEMI V8 must rock. The interior is finished well & I love all the chrome on the Citiadel Model (especially those 20" Chrome Wheels). Unfortunately the Durango Citadel is priced close to $50,000 which is out of my league.

My favorite SUV out right now is the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'd buy one in a heartbeat except that it doesn't have 3 rows of seats.

Looking forward to lurking for a while & seeing how people like their new 2011 Explorers.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 8,011
    How come the 2011 Explorer doesn't have LATCH anchors for the 3rd row of seats?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium