Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    Never thought of that.
    I should have realized it was the different trim around the rear lift gate that made all the difference.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    Don't be silly.

M-E-R-C-U-R-Y M-O-U-N-T-A-I-N-E-E-R
    F-O-R-D E-X-P-L-O-R-E-R

It's the extra letters.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Don't forget that public opinion, knowledge, brand recognition, is a part of the "mix".

Mention "Mercury Mountaineer" and no one automatically thinks "rollover".....
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    Agreed. That perception thing.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,744
    The case was a lawsuit against Ford and U-Haul. U-Haul was found at fault and to this day seems to still mad at Ford. IMHO, the Explorer is the volume model so perhaps they are hoping that Explorer owners will go to Ford and complain.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    edited January 2011
    I think U-Haul is just shooting themselves in the foot.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

You probably right, but it is a strange way for a business out to make money to shape policy.
    This is nothing more than management listening to the corporate lawyers instead of using common sense.
    Seems like a good strategy. Give up 4+ million potential customers, who would actually use the product you are providing. :confuse:
    But the lawyer says it's successful because they avoided potential lawsuits. Apparently nobody else is smart enough to challenge it.
    From my perspective, it has led to me buying a 'whale size' cargo box to put on the roof rack, or borrowing a flat 2 x 5 rack that plugs into the trailer hitch, that I can stack stuff on.
    I'm sure Penske and Ryder have gotten some benefit, too.
    Adding an '11 Explorer would work, and next fall we can let the '02 go 'Free Willie'.
    I get attached to my old stuff, so although logical, it would be tough to do.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    EcoBoost/TwinForce Gas-Guzzler.

Where do you get the data for the 2.0L EcoBoost guzzling gas? This is the second time you have stated it without backup.
    No, it shows the idiocy of public opinion. In the public's "eye" the Explorer is prone to rollover, tire blow-out, etc, an accident occurs, whatever the cause, involving a Explorer and the first action is to call a lawyer, if one doesn't call you first.
    edited February 2011
    The standard engine compression ratio for a direct injection engine is in the range of 11-12:1. In order to accommodate BOOST at those relatively RARE times of need the EcoBoost/TwinForce engine CR is derated, ~10:1, for normal cruise.

So 98-99% of the time you will be running in derated/detuned mode with lower FE than with a non-turbo DFI engine.

My guess is that before, or about the time the Explorer I4 is introduced there will be an option for a smaller N/A DFI V6 but with 12:1 CR and HP equal to the current N/A non-DFI V6 but even better FE.

Might even include a couple of throttle-body injectors to overcome the EGR buildup in the intake manifold and valves.
  • I don't like it. It doesn't feel like an Explorer. I didn't take the time to drive one because the dealer I happened to be at turned me off (pushy, thinks a 48K Limited is appropriate for our family when I wanted to see a 28K base model, oh you can afford it, sure you can sir).

The first thing I noticed is the way the dash and seats are shaped. I felt like I was sitting in a crossover that is trying too hard to be edgy and vibrant. The seat is high and shaped oddly and the dash feels low. The gauges seem too low to be able to see them while driving. It's just shaped wrong.

The next thing I noticed was the interior is too bright and nothing matches anything. The Light Stone Limited with leather and 2 sunroofs looked ridiculous. Silver here, gray there, cream over thataway, stainless trim mixed in, some chrome, some wood, it was awful. Not gonna happen. It'll have to be black. I can handle some silver and wood with black but it's way too busy in the other interior colors.

Third row seating looked cramped but wasn't too bad. I'm 5'11" and 270 and I could deal with it for a couple hours at a time but don't ask me to go to New York. Second row is wonderful and the first is also but I'm hoping the basic trim in cloth on a base model will be less styled/shaped like something that ought to be in a Mustang.

17 city, 25 highway. C&D averaged what, 18.4 in mixed, their numbers are always lower than what I get. They got 14mpg in a 13/18 rated Durango and I get 18-19. So low to mid-20s would be nice. I bet the Turbo four won't do that well if it's constantly loaded with kids and things. The V6 should be more consistent over a wider range of loads.

I do plan to test drive one of these with my wife in a couple of weeks and I hope I'm able to find a base model to test drive so I'm not so turned off by the uplevel trim mismatching and the oddly shaped seats.
    So basically you're just making presumptions and have nothing to back up your claim that the Ecoboost is a gas guzzler.
  • fawltytowers44fawltytowers44 Posts: 58
    edited February 2011
    I just spent three days covering more than three hundred miles in a rented Explorer FWD Limited (V6) with dual moon roofs; it only had 36 miles on it when I picked it up. It was a great treat to drive this long awaited car. I kept waiting to feel the FWD unpleasantness I usually find in FWD cars and if I had not known it was FWD I would never have suspected it. I drove it fairly hard in town, on the highway and in the hills and found it to be a very fine performing vehicle in every respect with no loss of control at any speed or under any condition – something I can not say about other cars I have driven lately. The advanced, voice recognition computer control system took a little getting used to (I have been driving for more than 50 years with the older systems!) but loved it once I learned it. With the multi adjustable seats and pedals the driver’s position can be custom tailored to most anyone's needs. Quibbles include; my activating the hazard lights several times by accident while touching icons on the computer screen, even though the button is fairly recessed and not on the computer screen - I think it may have more to do with me than the car. Also, the rear seat coat hanging device needs to be bigger. Build quality and materials were excellent and equal to or better than any of the cars I have rented in the past year, including a Lexus RX 450. The Explorer is a really great car overall and a terrific achievement for Ford!!
    Who did you rent it from?
  • I rented it from Interprise. Explorer's are in very shot supply and they had to get theirs from another office somewhere north of here, so be prepared to to wait to get one. I paid $110 a day for it.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    edited February 2011
    The standard engine compression ratio for a direct injection engine is in the range of 11-12:1. In order to accommodate BOOST at those relatively RARE times of need the EcoBoost/TwinForce engine CR is derated, ~10:1, for normal cruise.

For one, I've never seen a turbocharged engine that didn't have less compression than the non-turbo variant, so I guess what you have against the Ecoboost can be said about any turbocharged gasoline engine.

Considering the Ecoboost v6 is being used primarily in heavy vehicles and it develops peak torque as low as 1,500 rpm, it will be using some level of boost quite often.

Will it get the same mileage as a 3.5 DI n/a v6, probably not, but it will produce a lot more power and still get 20% better fuel economy than a v8 with similar power and that's the point you obviously don't get. It will offer 2-3 mpg improvement while offering more power vs the 5.0v8 in the F150.

You may think the Ecoboost is only attractive to the immature boy racer types, but from my perspective it's intriguing. The 5.4 300hp/365ft-lbs engine in my 07 Expedition provides adequate power and rarely gets above 17mpg highway. I tow quite a bit and would love more torque and better fuel economy. If the Ecoboost v6 can reliably offer a 20% fuel economy improvement while also offering 15% more power (particularly 420 ft-lbs across a wide rpm range) it's a win/win in my book.