Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• new_fordnew_ford Posts: 2
    Did you get any deal from Gentilini Ford as they are not easy to deal with??
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,756
    I'm betting that Ford was forced to make some change that had the potential for an adverse effect on FE.

Is this fact or just a WAG on your part??

Again - answer the question or is deflecting easier??

Flood the market..??!! Wouldn't that be like....90 days of inventory on each dealer's sales lot...??

Actually more than 60 days is flooding the market.
  • swhildinswhildin Posts: 6
    I think so especially since I turned in a lease I have only had for 16 months (a Ford Edge). And I can't tell you how much i love the explorer - It would be have worth it to spend a little extra to have it!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    My brother has a '10 Fusion Sport with the same 3.5 v6

Do they come with the 3.5L now? Didn't know that, thought they were still putting the 3.0L in the Fusion..... That would be one peppy car!
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    Do they come with the 3.5L now? Didn't know that, thought they were still putting the 3.0L in the Fusion..... That would be one peppy car!

Starting in '10 Ford offered a Fusion Sport that has the 3.5 standard and is the only way to get the 3.5 in a Fusion. It definitely is peppy.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    Not only that, the 3.0 got a new top end in '09.
    Now rated @ 240 hp.
    Our '09 Escape with that engine and 6 speed trans gets about 22 mpg vs our '04 3.0 (200 hp) with 4 speed, which averages about 19 mpg.
  • After being assured by our Ford dealer that the wait for a factory ordered 2011 Explorer would be no longer than 6-8 weeks, I ordered our first American car at the end of Jan. After 3 months I've heard only that the car was "born" on 3/24 and is sitting in a lot in Illinois awaiting transport. Unfortunately our dealer doesn't seem very motivated to find out when this car is being delivered, and I get the same answer when I call for my weekly update. What is going on???? I've been told to rest assured that I'm not the only one waiting... instead I'm wondering if maybe I should have bought another Honda Pilot. What is the delivery delay?
    That is the question everyone wants to know the answer to.
  • swhildinswhildin Posts: 6
    Not really sure what the delay is - i know they can't get the black paint from japan. but I do know for a fact they are worth the wait - got mine after a 3 1/2 month wait and i love it!
    edited April 2011
    I just went through my usual dealer stock check and there is some new inventory available. There is a Bronze color I have not seen before.
  • new_fordnew_ford Posts: 2
    What are the customers going to do if they need body work and how do you match a paint job that has paint that is not made anymore??

Repaint the complete vehicle???

This might turn ugly.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,127
    "The shortage of freight cars has added anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to the time it takes for new cars to reach dealers, forcing auto makers to park finished vehicles near plants around the country."

Rail Woes Hit Auto Deliveries (MarketWatch)

Anyone heard any better theories?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Outstanding! Now, is that 3.0 a version of the older Duratec, just improved? Not that I have a problem with that, just wondering. It was a great engine.
    I bet Sherwin Williams will make an aftermarket paint that will match perfectly. They do for about every color made right now.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,641
    The the updated 3.0 is still the same duratech. It's just been massaged to put out more power. I think most of the improvements are in the valvetrain.
    What are the customers going to do if they need body work and how do you match a paint job that has paint that is not made anymore??

The paint is currently unavailable because of an ingredient made in Japan. Don't forget, Ford doesn't make the paint - it buys it. So whoever is supplying the paint - PPG, Dupont, BASF, et al - will find another source for the ingredient.
    edited May 2011
    OK, but who wants their car repainted with a brush or a roller? ;)
  • bob431bob431 Posts: 1
    Since when did FORD start building cars in JAPAN? I am confused I want to buy AMERICAN, not Japanese, why can't FORD get paint in America?

Bob
    edited May 2011
    Bob - one key ingredient in the Tuxedo Black paint in made in Japan:

"A Japanese supplier provided a patented substance called Xirallic, used to give the red and black paints a slight metallic glitter. Ford is working with its paint supplier to find another substance that can be mixed in, instead, spokesman Todd Nissen, said." money.cnn.com

It also affected Chrysler, Honda, Toyota and Honda. On a positive note, that plant which is 35 miles from the crippled nuclear plant, reopened yesterday.

It's a global economy Bob. In fact, the company that makes Xirallic is Merck - a German company. Further, Ford makes cars all over the world and at one time made Model T's in Japan.
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    I had dropped off my Fusion for a squawk noise(which did not happen once in the two days I let them have it), and just wanted to see the new Exploder. They had one on the lot, sold about 4 the week prior to the day I was there. Its nice, not as nice as the Flex, but the Flex can't do what the Exploder can. What shocked me though, the price, $47K! $47,000 for one! Holy cow. I can buy a Superduty diesel for that price. It is a totally new vehicle, inside and out, and it should do well, if it can rock climb like the older ones, it will do even better, but since it's on a Uni and not a frame, that might not be possible.

I'm curious though, why doesn't Ford advertise the Flex like it does the Explorer and other cars? It's a unique vehicle in their lineup, right between the Taurus and Explorer, and a very well made car.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I think you might mean the Flex can't do what the legacy Exploder was able to do. The new Exploder is nothing more or less than a re-clothed re-badged Freestyle or Taurus X.

The Freestye and Taurus X both failed abysmally in the marketplace so Ford is well aware that to sell a FWD Exploder will be costly.
    build up a bit.
    With the number of loaded models on the ground, I think some incentives will introduced.
  • steve366steve366 Posts: 2
    I ordered my white 4wd limited on Feb 17th, so just over 3 months ago. The dealer told me yday that it was finally in production but didn't have a delivery date yet. He said that ford will probably stop selling the vehicle soon and take 2 month break from sales in order to catch up on production, then relaunch it as a 2012 vehicle in August.

Although I did read in a Ford press release that Red and Black were the ones with a paint issue from Japan. A local dealer told me it was white and red.
  • Our ordered Limited 4wd in Bordeaux Red started assembly on 3/24 and arrived in Houston on 5/10.
    Picked up my XLT, same color last Saturday. It has a May '11 build date.
  • caser82caser82 Posts: 1
    I have manually folded down the third row seat into "tailgate" mode in my 2011 Ford Explorer, and now I can't figure out how to get it back to normal position. There is nothing in the manual about this, but the car dealer showed it to me. I just don't remember how to get it back to normal. Please help!
    edited June 2011
    Look for the plastic cutouts. Reach in with your fingers and close your hand.
    Listen for the click to indicate it's released. Pull the strap up to raise the seat.
    Page 177.
    Hope this helps.
    If the 3rd row could slide back 3 or 4 inches, it would be a good feature.
    Sometimes it's worth it to sacrifice the space the behind the 3 row to make the passengers more comfortable.
  • safety9285safety9285 Posts: 88
    I am starting to get serious about buying one of these and will trade in a 2007 Acadia. I was initially spooked by the touch screen to handle average things like heat and A/C. I am a button and switch person but I am computer literate. I think I can accept the touch screen if everything lives up to the hype.
    So, here are the questions:
    1. Do you like the ride?
    2. Is it quiet?
    3. I have the high level Acadia, leather trim and the bells and whistles. How would the Limited compare in creature comforts?
    4. I wanted AWD and the Explorer is shown as 4WD with the Dial Up on the console. How would that compare?
    5. I do a lot of long distance driving and the seats are important. Love the Acadia. Feels like I am driving down the road in a recliner. Anyone have any long distance drives under there belt?
    6. I have been following the forums and other consumer reivews and have not seen a lot of negatives. Any smoking guns out there that I am unaware of at this time?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,668
    It is AWD and uses the same basic hardware as the Fusion, Flex and Taurus. It just has more sophisticated software controls for special circumstances like snow, mud and sand. Ford chose to call it 4WD because it sounds more macho and better fits the rugged image they're shooting for.