Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    edited November 2011
    Please, let's not continue down this line any more. No one is going to change anyone's mind around here anyway.

Real life incidents don't appear to support the arguments. When the NHTSA weights in, we can open a whole topic devoted to the subject. Or heck, knock yourselves out over in 4WD & AWD systems explained.

Back on topic, is anyone test driving or buying a new Explorer?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,652
    Back on topic, is anyone test driving or buying a new Explorer?

Yes, drove one (ecoboost) as a potential replacement for our 2005 mini-van.

I loved how it drove, and the very generous head room (6'3"). I thought the dash interface that everybody hates was very intuitive and easy to use. I was expecting something harsh and buzzy but was very surprised how refined it was.

The price just ended up too high when we added all the options...even with the rebates...or more accurately you can get a new mini-van equipped better, for cheaper; if you're so inclined to go the mini-van route that is :)
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    edited November 2011
    Irrespective of what Willard said, the Explorers are flying off the lots faster than Ford can make them, so I don't think they're much of a hard sell.

And, thusly, I recently bought one for the Misses, have almost 5,000 miles on it, and two road trips. It is the Limited with everything you can get. I love the Touch that some people are "touchy" about, although, true to the maker who provides it (Microsoft), it does crash once in a while, but will reboot if you restart the car and give it a minute. It's easy to use, attractive, and very functional. As for the drive, it's amazing. Compared to the other 7 Explorers we have owned, it's a dream to drive on a trip. Even after an 800 mile day, I feel fine. It's larger than the former model, quite a bit wider. Plenty of power out of the six, don't know about towing yet. May suck then, we'll see. Transmission is buttery smooth. It's actually quieter than my Lexus! I don't know how they did that. 0 wind noise. Very little road noise. Excellent quality inside, leather is rich and substantial, seats very supportive. Third row is extremely versatile. I had my doubts about a FWD platform, but am pleasantly surprised. We'll see how it holds up. My experience has varied with the other 7 I have had. Some have gone for 140,000 miles without a major issue, others not so much. I still believe Ford has the best SUV design first every time, others then copy it. But the Asian makes usually last longer, go further with fewer issues. Still, I buy the Fords because of their engineering and design. And what don't I like about it? The doors open to about 80 degrees, really wide, and they hit my other car in the garage! Grrrrrr. Nice when you're loading the grandbaby in the car seat, murder on the paint of the neighbor..... ;)
    Too bad they don't make sliding doors an option on SUVs. So much more practical. Too much stigma I suppose.
  • texasford.com

basically you search by your zip code and it'll bring up the closest dealers, much like on the ford.com site, but in the dropdown box, EVERY Ford dealer in Texas is listed, in order, by distance from where you are. You'll also discover there's a LOT more Ford dealers in places you never knew existed!

I'm just excited the EcoBoost is available. And even on a base model with no other options. $30100 MSRP. But after my wife rented a 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer for the last month, she's dead set on heated seats and other goodies so we're probably looking at a 205A package XLT or a Limited of some sort. Good news is better color choices and availability with those.
    Then it's not an SUV, Steve!! It's a Minivan, which agreed, is probably the ultimately practical people hauler. But not much good for 4WD.
  • I also bought a Ford Explorer limited earlier this year. It seems like people either love or hate the vehicle. For us, we absolutely love this vehicle! Very roomy and very comfortable. The only real issue that we have had thus far is that the ABS module shorted out for some unknown reason. It didn't seem <>to affect anything except make some indicators on the console light up. But it was fixed and repaired and nothing else has happened since then. The sync occasionally has trouble understanding my speech, but it's not a regular thing so we're not concerned about it. We are awaiting the update that will be sent after the 1st of the new year with the improvements. Overall, very happy with the vehicle.
    Yeah, but think how practical a high clearance SUV would be if you could get sliders on it. And instead of one AWD choice you'd have lots of AWD and 4WD choices.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Practical but ugly.
    But think of how ridiculous it would look!! Plus, think of the body creak it would have going off road without that B pillar support in the middle. OMG!

:surprise:
    edited November 2011
    Bah, you guys have no imagination. :P

Oh well, there's always Quigley for when I win the lottery.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..But not much good for 4WD.."

The Toyota Sienna Minivan has the same F/awd system, mechanically, as does the new Ford Exploder. Can't say about the Sienna's firmware control of the F/awd system, it might be better...or worse.
    Or the same.
  • If it had sliding doors it would be a minivan. And my wife would have a broken heart over it. I don't think Ford has anything with sliding doors anymore save for maybe the Econoline/E-Series. Freestar was killed off after what, 2007? Even the GM "minivans", the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave, they have regular opening doors. Although at the low end of the crossover/wagon/SUV/minivan range, even the little Mazda5 has sliders.

I like it the way it is. I do wish the power tailgate could be ordered on the base model, though. But with the wife's wishes, a Limited or 205A XLT hunting we will go.
    I have a 2012 Limited, and highly recommend it. Wonderful road car. Excellent mileage in town, good on road too, if you drive slow, if you push it to 85 like I do, you only get 20mpg. But you'll get 18.5 in town easy. That's 5 more mpg than my 07 Explorer got.
  • I think I may have damaged my electrical system during a jumpstart on my 2001 Ford Explorer. My battery was completely drained, While jump starting my vehicle my gauges(rpm) were flickering. This led me to believe i had overflow into my system. My transmission has gone from perfect to shot, along with a few of my electrical systems being on the fritz.

Advice please.

Is it possible to have transmission problems due to this?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    edited January 2012
    Not unless you damaged the PCM itself which is unlikely. I'd try disconnecting both battery cables for a few minutes and touching them together before reconnecting to reset everything.

It's also possible you have a bad battery and/or alternator so get that checked also.
  • Its possible since your transmission is electronically controlled, however, I've never done anything "special" when jump starting my old 2001 Expy. I know some manufacturers recommend things like turning on the rear defroster to help "absorb" any possible surges during jump starting, but I've never done that with my Expy and never had an issue. And if you're seeing issues with several electrical systems, Its possible you may have messed up your General Module which controls things like HVAC, lighting, radio....among others.

Hope this helps a little.
    Tim
  • Anyone know when the 2013 Sport will be released? Website says "fall"....