Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 4,159
    Meanwhile, lest everyone continue digressing, when does the 2011 hit dealer showrooms?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Over on FB Ford seems to be saying that date is indeterminant at this time.
  • occupant1occupant1 Posts: 408
    I spoke with a salesperson two weeks ago at my local Ford shop in Hillsboro TX and she claimed they would be here in three weeks. So this coming week is the time I am going to do a lot of drive-bys to see if they showed up. They have two 2011 Edges in stock. I am told the Explorers they are getting are a Limited and an XLT, but both are white and AWD. All I want is a base model, FWD, no options, Kona Blue. That'll be $26535 invoice after the current $1000 rebate listed here on Edmunds. If my local dealer can get one and get me a good price, I'll buy local. Otherwise we'll pop up to Dallas/Fort Worth or down to Killeen/Austin to get one. I have no problem driving a few hours to get the right truck at the right price.

For the money, I could also get a 7-seat V6 Highlander, 7-seat V6 Outlander XLS, 7-seat Hyundai Santa Fe, or for a little more money, an 8-seat Traverse LS. Also right above that at 30K-31K are a basic 7-passenger Pathfinder S FE+ or a base 4-Runner SR5 after adding the elusive third row seat option ($805 retail).

My wife and I have driven a Pathfinder (2007 model) extensively on a vacation as a rental from Enterprise and we were very happy with it. I have not driven either of the last generations of 4Runner (last I test drove was a 1998 model) and I have no experience with any of the smaller ones. We currently drive a 2000 Dodge Durango with the 318 V8 and 6-passenger seating. When we all go somewhere together, either my wife or I have to sit in the cargo area. We need a 7-seater vehicle. I'm about to add a third row to the Durango but my wife fell in love with the 2011 Explorer when it was featured in USA Today a couple months ago. I know the Pathfinder and 4Runner will be hard pressed to see the gas mileage numbers of the new Explorer, the Traverse, or any of the smaller SUV's (Outlander, Highlander, Santa Fe). We get about 19mpg mixed in the Durango due to my light right foot and the mostly highway driving we do out here in the sticks.

I do think the Explorer's new design is appropriate for our family. 2 adults, 5 kids, good gas mileage, and the Ford name. I'd be plenty happy with one. I always wondered why they didn't make the Edge a 7-seater. Now I know why.

I am very interested in seeing one in person, close up. I drive in snow and ice exactly none of the time, so I could care less about some poster's comments. But I am curious to know how it feels. Maybe the EcoBoost is worth waiting for in a base model? Maybe the V6 just feels better? Does it drive anything like an Edge or Flex? Maybe I'd be better off sticking the wifey in a 5-year old Freestyle and save the money for when the new model gets sorted out right? I've always been told, never buy a new car in the first year, but how new is this Explorer? Isn't it just an extended length Edge? Isn't it a restyled Taurus X or Freestyle? Mechanically, it's the same vehicle, right? The EcoBoost might be something to watch reliability-wise, but I'm sure the 3.5L is fine by now, right?
  • loudog2loudog2 Posts: 83
    I hope the ecoboost V6 gets offered for 2012.
    It's on the option list for the 2011 Explorers as "late availability" and I intend to wait until both are available for test driving before we buy. We're bringing all the kids, too. Salesperson can ride behind the third row for all I care. Car seats will go in, boosters will get a spot, wife and I get comfortable up front, and we'll test drive both fully weighed down. If the Turbo can keep up as well as the V6 (or better) then I'm more than happy to buy one with EcoBoost. Don't need to tow anything, and I'm not sure if the tow ratings will be higher or lower anyway. I would ASSUME lower but then again Ford is pushing this in the F-Series as well, so maybe it will get a good rating.
  • loudog2loudog2 Posts: 83
    A ford rep on facebook just told be it will not be an option. Where did you see it listed?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,675
    You guys are confusing the 2.0L Ecoboost with the 3.5L Ecoboost. The Explorer gets the 2.0L Ecoboost early next year. There are no announced plans to offer the 3.5L Ecoboost yet.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,298
    Occupant, do you think the explorer will have usable cargo space behind the 3rd row? I know that most of the "mid size" SUVs (pilot, highlander) have very little space left with the 3rd row up. So, how do you actually travel with the whole family if you have to take anything with you?

Other than the soccer mom stigma, a minivan has to make vastly more sense for a large family, especially if you aren't using AWD or towing.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

text got cut off...I can't reach the edit button...

lost text on the right says

"far as I'm..." and
    "soft rooftop carrier"

Sorry, mods, thought the forum would resize it.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,209
    Our software is pretty dumb that way. Sorry.

If you like, we can delete your post and you can resize it and repost.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Either way is fine, I just feel bad for people trying to read posts above or below it with that pic there. I have it resized and rehosted to 400px wide so it *should* fit.

I don't know. You tell me? That seems to be a pretty deep well behind the third row. It's set up like a Freestar or Odyssey as far as my eyes are concerned. Keep in mind I am a champion Tetris player, can pack like a soldier, and wouldn't be opposed to a soft rooftop carrier for a few duffel bags."
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    I killed it. :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• budhbudh Posts: 109
    Is it true that in the new 2011 Explorer that heated seats are available only on the Limited version, no matter how many option packages you apply to the XLT version?

(My fiancee wants heated seats but she doesn't want to pay the huge price difference between the XLT and the Limited version of the 2011 Explorer.)

Bud H
  • I'm also somewhat upset that other options are "Limited only" like the power hatch and power folding third row. A "cargo convenience" package for base and XLT would be more appropriate. We don't want leather seats, a sunroof, a navigation system, a hard drive, or any other gadgets or undesirable options. I do so miss the days when you could order a vehicle ANY way you wanted it. Today, it seems you get all or nothing. $28K for the base model with standard options, or $40K for the Limited with the one thing you wanted and twenty others you didn't...
  • iwant12iwant12 Posts: 269
    I wish I could order one without the 3rd row, but I doubt that would be possible. And that's really too bad, because I like the vehicle so far (I could even learn to live with the FWD). Perhaps the seats can be removed.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,769
    Is it true that in the new 2011 Explorer that heated seats are available only on the Limited version, no matter how many option packages you apply to the XLT version?

No not true. You can order the comfort package which includes heated, power leather seating. It is $2500 extra though.
    I wish I could order one without the 3rd row, but I doubt that would be possible.

Why not just get the Edge?
  • iwant12iwant12 Posts: 269
    I hear you. I have considered the Edge, just can't get over that proboscis. To each his own, I guess. Plus, I'd like a little more ground clearance.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 303
    The long tease is over.
    The 2011 Explorer will roll into your local dealer around second week in January.
    Job 1 was Nov 1 IIRC. When should they be hitting the showroom?
  • berriberri Posts: 4,159
    Why do you have to get touch screen controls and synch? Honestly, I'm not sure I want Microsoft and their computer glitches in my car.
  • Hey everyone, great to meet you all! My name is Marielle, and I'm with American Pop, working directly with Team Detroit for the launch of the all new 2011 Ford Explorer. I'm here to answer any questions about the new vehicle, so ask away! Let me know if there's anything you guys want to know about the Explorer, and I'll be sure to keep you in the loop with the latest news and new features as they're released, and I'll start working on the great questions already posted!

Check out the latest video revealing the EPA estimated MPG for the new Explorer! This makes the 2011 Explorer the Best in Class for V6 and 25% more fuel efficient than the current model! http://www.youtube.com/user/Explorer#p/u/1/tOHqcHnDfsw

Also, if you haven't checked it out yet, there are some really cool videos and photos over at the official Ford Explorer Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FordExplorer). You should check it out! While you're at it, be sure to visit the 2011 Ford Explorer site where you can build out and price the new Explorer with all the latest features! http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2011/

Thanks! Can't wait to hear what you guys have to say !

Marielle, working with Team Detroit/ Ford, Disclosure: http://cmp.ly/Agency/vopg46
    http://www.facebook.com/FordExplorer
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,209
    Welcome to Edmunds, Marielleleigh.

For everyone, here's our 2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD Full Test that went live yesterday.

"Ford's decision to make the Explorer into a car-based SUV was the right one. It's convenient and comfortable in all the ways families will appreciate, and it's a worthy rival to vehicles like the CX-9, Durango, Highlander and Traverse. The Explorer is more distinctively styled than any of those vehicles and offers more safety features to boot. Further, it rides, handles, accelerates and stops as well as almost anything in the class...."

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

No, the new Ford explorer is nothing less or more than the second coming, "REHASH", of the Ford FreeStyle, the first rehash being the Taurus X, both having failed in the marketplace.

Nothing negative to say about the move to unibody construction, but FWD..Explorer..FWD....??

Sheer idiocy.

And why not DFI for the new V6...?

And DFI for the upcoming (if ever) Gas-Guzzling TwinForce (EcoBoost) 4 cylinder engine but with detuning, substandard compression ratio for DFI.

Sheer idiocy, again.

Lockup the "center differential" when turning in order to reduce the level of drive torque available to the front wheels to help prevent, alleviate, instances of loss of directional control...??

Sheer idiocy, yet again..

Lockup the "center differential" under straight ahead acceleration when on a perfectly dry and highly tractive surface...?

Just how much idiocy will the Ford Explorer buyer tolerate..??

Even with water cooling of the PTO and rear diff'l/clutch combination how long before failure of the weakest link(***) once all the resulting NEEDLESS driveline windup and tire scrubbing takes its toll...?

*** MDX = lockup clutch....Escape/mariner = PTO

I predict an early TSB, a switch to disable the F/awd fucntionality unless/until the driver has reason to suspect/expect a need for same.

And let's not, by all means, forget the need, nay, REQUIREMENT, for HYPERACTIVE TC to INSTANTLY dethrottle the engine and begin braking the front wheels once even the slightest level of wheelspin/slip develops.
    Otherwise this would be just another patently UNSAFE FWD vehicle.
    I haven't/hadn't paid much attention to the Ford FreeStar nor the Taurus X but just a few minutes ago I happened to walk past a FreeStar and I swear that if it had the Explorer label on it I wouldn't have known the difference.
  • I know a lot of you are probably wondering how the new Explorer can handle the snow with the flakes starting to fall! Check out the latest video from Team Detroit showing the new Explorer in action having some fun in the snow :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDTYTgCz2Q
    Why would we wonder that...?

Everyone knows, or certainly should know, that absent TC a FWD vehicle is just simply patently dangerous to take out on a wintertime adverse condition, slippery, roadbed. Do you even know why so many modern day F/awd vehicles have the ability to turn TC off....?

The new Ford Explorer is FWD or at best F/awd, front torque biased, so we all should know the danger involved in taking one of those out on a slippery roadbed. Sure, TC will kick in the instant wheelspin/slip develops and likely save my life but how do I get up my inclined driveway covered with ice or packed snow...?

The "old" Explorer was relatively safe in comparison since it was RWD or even 4WD. With RWD wheelspin/slip loss of directional control is not a threat unless the driver is an idiot.

Do you know why it is unwise to leave a 4WD vehicle such as the old Explorer in 4WD mode once underway...?
  • vrmvrm Posts: 303
    Wwest,

Good to see that you agree that the Ford AWD is the BEST in the business.
    The proof was in the test drive in the desert of Dubai this past summer.
    "...Ford AWD is the best in the business.."

No, not, NEVER...!!

For sideways mounted engine vehicles, base FWD, the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system is more likely than otherwise....

The BEST in the Business.

I would suspect that anyone looking for an equivalent vehicle to the now obsolete :sick: Ford Explorer would be looking first at the Toyota 4runner.
    Question for Marielleleigh...

Suppose I get stuck in the mud, mud hole, and need to use wheelspin to rock back and forth and get up and going again, is there a way to disable TC such that that can be done...??

Or must I remove the ABS pumpmotor fuse to disable TC...??