Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• Going to look at a 2011 today, does anyone know the money factor and lease terms? Good Price for a limited?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    There IS NO "good" price for a FWD or F/awd 2011 Ford Explorer. You probably need to switch to the Expedition if you are historically an Explorer owner.
    Take the Ford FreeStyle/Taurus X/2011 Ford Explorer, put in a more historically traditional "Explorer" rear biased AWD system, R/awd system. Use the new drive coupling system for "real-time" torque routing to the FRONT. V6 DFI engine, and shed some of that 2011 Ford Explorer WEIGHT, no transfer case, no low range...see the 2011 Cayenne.

And FINALLY....

Badge it with....

2012 Ford EXPEDITION.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,853
    Actually what 90% of people don't need is a 4WD rig for cruising around town. I think Ford has finally hit their target audience. And I bet sales will be very good.

Jbellet, check the Ford Explorer/Mercury Mountaineer Prices Paid and Buying Experience discussion.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

That's sort of like saying commercial jet aircraft have no need for that "military power" engine throttle detent.

Yes, many SUV owners have no need for 4WD 90, maybe even 98% of the time, and somewhere around maybe only .0001% of the time only, ONLY, as a life saving measure.

Pay attention to the sales of tire studs, for instance, useless and even harmful (to the roadbed) alsmost 100% of the time, but a life saving measure 0.00001% of the time.

Why...tire studs are really inexpensive life insurance.
    "..Ford has finally hit their target audience.."

Why so, the previous versions, the Ford FreeStyle and the Taurus X, quite clearly failed in the marketplace, COMPLETELY failed.

Loyalty of historical Ford Explorer owners....look at last years sales for the answer to that.

This new 2011 Ford Explorer is simply, and only, a Ford Edge with enough room for a third seat.
    edited December 2010
    Explorer sales last year were way down, but people's tastes have changed too.

The 2011 has the name to rebuild upon, lots better fuel efficiency and it'll still handle parking in a muddy field if a deluge happens during the soccer game. Standard 3rd road seats means even more appeal to families who don't want a minivan.

For the heavy towing or off-road users, there's the Grand Cherokee. But that'll cost you more. And that "truck" is a unibody as well.

2011 Ford Explorer (sacbee.com)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I don't know that I have ever voiced an opinion in opposition to unibody construction. If I did I would now consider it to have been a mstake on my part.
    edited December 2010
    Unibody construction on SUVs was a big point of contention a few years ago. Turned out to be much ado about something most people don't care about. Nor do most of them need a body on frame SUV. Wait and see - I bet the new Explorer will do just fine sales-wise.

Meanwhile, maybe some people actually interested in buying one will weigh in here.

• jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 352
    I'm waiting for a local dealer to get a 4WD Limited in for me to drive, I'm deciding between the new Explorer and the Grand Cherokee. I drove the GC today, my main complaints are the power is just adequate with the V6 and the Check Engine light was on during the test drive, not good for a vehicle with 21 miles on it. Of course the sales guy wrote it off to a loose gas cap, but given Jeep's history it makes me leery.

I'm interested to try the My Ford Touch system, I saw it in an Edge but didn't have much time to try it out.

I don't need serious off roading capabilities or a third row seat, so it's kind of a toss up between the two. It will ultimately come down to a combination of price (I'm leasing) and which one I like best.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,736
    Checking on line, I see that the local dealers now have 2011 Explorers in stock.
    One of them has a Sterling Gray, so I will take a look tomorrow.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,857
    My local dealer's website showed in stock. I found out that means shipped to them so don't be disappointed to find they aren't on the lot.
    Thanks for saving me the trip tomorrow! :)
    edited January 2011
    Based on my experience with FWD based Escapes and a Fusion, the new AWD Explorer is not a big deal.
    Expedition based on the same platform? Bad dream. Makes no sense. Not happening.
  • In Car and Driver's review this month, they say the explorer gets 2 miiles on average less than the pilot... How is this possible since the explorer if rated 2 miles better than the pilot?

Seems like someone isn't measuring right...

Also, when will crash tests be out on the the new body?
    edited January 2011
    "...2 miles better..."

EPA ratings are like that, only an estimate, not exactly "real worldish".

Crash tests will likely be better for the new unibody than the old frame rail since more of the weight can be put into body structure, as clearly they have done.
    Drove over to the deal er just in case.
    The 2 Explorers listed in their inventory were parked out front.
    1 XLT and 1 Limited.
    They look better in real life than the pictures I have seen.
    Each had a good size touch screen in the dash, although only 1 had NAV listed on the sticker.
    when you quote something, try to back it up.
    C & D's own long term test left you dangling in the wind
  • Just curious if I can program the Navi system while driving, or if the touch screen is greyed out when moving? I know its not the safest thing to be doing, but just would like to know if its possible. (aside from using the voice commands )
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,857
    Also, when will crash tests be out on the the new body?

IIHS are already out - scored Good (the highest they give) in all three tests.
  • comparing 2011 in recent Car and Driver... Doesn't drive as well and is 2 miles off of the pilot.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q4/2011_ford_explorer_limited_4wd-road- _test
    edited January 2011
    I guess the Pilot 40k long term C&D test was too long to read, so I will help out by posting their mileage results.
    "Despite Honda’s cylinder-deactivation system, our overall fuel economy was 18 mpg, 1 mpg worse than we observed in a 400-hp Porsche Panamera S."
    Maybe the comparison was to the BOF Explorer.
  • pg822pg822 Posts: 12
    Hello....

I am working with a dealer and RIGHT OFF THE BAT quoted me a price of $700 over invoice for a Limited with Package 301A, 2nd Floor Captain's Seats, and DVD player. The quote was for $40,966 (which includes the $1000 rebate and excludes TTL) after a sticker of $44,740.

They told me that the only way they could match Costco pricing is if I ordered one from the factory.

Does anyone know what the Costco price would be (ie, X% over invoice, below MSRP, etc)? Considering this model is brand new, I was somewhat surprised that he came in $700 over invoice.... I thought it would be priced closer to sticker. Does anyone think I am getting a good deal? I am going to try and get it cheaper, but want the Costco price in comparison. The Costco referred dealership is 30 miles away from me and they won't tell me anything over the phone/email, but if this dealer won't budge any further, I will probably make the drive. Thoughts?
  • lateralglateralg Posts: 929
    I can provide an X-Plan PIN. Not sure how this stacks up, but worth looking into.

Alan: Any thoughts?
    Thank you so much, Alan! The dealer told me that the X-Plan would get me the car $100 below invoice. Can you email it to me at patgreen822@yahoo.com? Thanks, again!
  • I'm working on getting all these answers for everyone! Keep me posted with any new questions that come up!

In the meantime, check out the latest video showing you how the 2x button on the 2011 Explorer works!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b5qwXALZeU
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,699
    That was Gary - I'm Allen! If your dealer told you X plan was $100 below invoice then find another dealer because that's hogwash. X plan is about $150 ABOVE invoice plus $100 doc fee. It should be a lot cheaper than the original price. They have to show you the invoice with X plan and you can see both the X plan and the dealer invoice price. The dealer gets a check from Ford for several hundred bucks so they're still making out ok.

If you can post the dealer name, zip code and last 5 of the VIN with a description (color, model) I can look up the X plan price. It just has to be listed on Forddirect.com's inventory for that dealer.
    edited January 2011
    Allen

I am confused. Based on what you said, It seems as if they are quoting me a price cheaper than x-plan. Why should I go to another dealer? He said that they would honor the $100 under invoice without even using the x-plan code. Do they make more with non x-plan sales? Something fishy is going on with their profit, although I don't really care if they make more money from the factory for non x-plan sales as long as I am getting a good price. Am I missing something? By the way, it is a factory order so no VIN.

Also, they added $600 to the invoice for advertising/fuel. It seems I can never get out of paying these fees from dealers!

Thanks!

Pat
    Dealer just told me that he made a mistake and that the x-plan is $100 over invoice. Does that sound more like it Allen? He said tat he will honor the $100 over invoice without using the x-plan code.

Does anyone know if I can beat $100 over invoice using Costco?