Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Ford Explorer

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 4,008
    Why do you have to get touch screen controls and synch? Honestly, I'm not sure I want Microsoft and their computer glitches in my car.
  • Hey everyone, great to meet you all! My name is Marielle, and I'm with American Pop, working directly with Team Detroit for the launch of the all new 2011 Ford Explorer. I'm here to answer any questions about the new vehicle, so ask away! Let me know if there's anything you guys want to know about the Explorer, and I'll be sure to keep you in the loop with the latest news and new features as they're released, and I'll start working on the great questions already posted!

Check out the latest video revealing the EPA estimated MPG for the new Explorer! This makes the 2011 Explorer the Best in Class for V6 and 25% more fuel efficient than the current model! http://www.youtube.com/user/Explorer#p/u/1/tOHqcHnDfsw

Also, if you haven't checked it out yet, there are some really cool videos and photos over at the official Ford Explorer Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/FordExplorer). You should check it out! While you're at it, be sure to visit the 2011 Ford Explorer site where you can build out and price the new Explorer with all the latest features! http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2011/

Thanks! Can't wait to hear what you guys have to say !

Marielle, working with Team Detroit/ Ford, Disclosure: http://cmp.ly/Agency/vopg46
    http://www.facebook.com/FordExplorer
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,021
    Welcome to Edmunds, Marielleleigh.

For everyone, here's our 2011 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD Full Test that went live yesterday.

"Ford's decision to make the Explorer into a car-based SUV was the right one. It's convenient and comfortable in all the ways families will appreciate, and it's a worthy rival to vehicles like the CX-9, Durango, Highlander and Traverse. The Explorer is more distinctively styled than any of those vehicles and offers more safety features to boot. Further, it rides, handles, accelerates and stops as well as almost anything in the class...."

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    No, the new Ford explorer is nothing less or more than the second coming, "REHASH", of the Ford FreeStyle, the first rehash being the Taurus X, both having failed in the marketplace.

Nothing negative to say about the move to unibody construction, but FWD..Explorer..FWD....??

Sheer idiocy.

And why not DFI for the new V6...?

And DFI for the upcoming (if ever) Gas-Guzzling TwinForce (EcoBoost) 4 cylinder engine but with detuning, substandard compression ratio for DFI.

Sheer idiocy, again.

Lockup the "center differential" when turning in order to reduce the level of drive torque available to the front wheels to help prevent, alleviate, instances of loss of directional control...??

Sheer idiocy, yet again..

Lockup the "center differential" under straight ahead acceleration when on a perfectly dry and highly tractive surface...?

Just how much idiocy will the Ford Explorer buyer tolerate..??

Even with water cooling of the PTO and rear diff'l/clutch combination how long before failure of the weakest link(***) once all the resulting NEEDLESS driveline windup and tire scrubbing takes its toll...?

*** MDX = lockup clutch....Escape/mariner = PTO

I predict an early TSB, a switch to disable the F/awd fucntionality unless/until the driver has reason to suspect/expect a need for same.

And let's not, by all means, forget the need, nay, REQUIREMENT, for HYPERACTIVE TC to INSTANTLY dethrottle the engine and begin braking the front wheels once even the slightest level of wheelspin/slip develops.
    Otherwise this would be just another patently UNSAFE FWD vehicle.
    I haven't/hadn't paid much attention to the Ford FreeStar nor the Taurus X but just a few minutes ago I happened to walk past a FreeStar and I swear that if it had the Explorer label on it I wouldn't have known the difference.
  • I know a lot of you are probably wondering how the new Explorer can handle the snow with the flakes starting to fall! Check out the latest video from Team Detroit showing the new Explorer in action having some fun in the snow :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDTYTgCz2Q
    Why would we wonder that...?

Everyone knows, or certainly should know, that absent TC a FWD vehicle is just simply patently dangerous to take out on a wintertime adverse condition, slippery, roadbed. Do you even know why so many modern day F/awd vehicles have the ability to turn TC off....?

The new Ford Explorer is FWD or at best F/awd, front torque biased, so we all should know the danger involved in taking one of those out on a slippery roadbed. Sure, TC will kick in the instant wheelspin/slip develops and likely save my life but how do I get up my inclined driveway covered with ice or packed snow...?

The "old" Explorer was relatively safe in comparison since it was RWD or even 4WD. With RWD wheelspin/slip loss of directional control is not a threat unless the driver is an idiot.

Do you know why it is unwise to leave a 4WD vehicle such as the old Explorer in 4WD mode once underway...?
  • vrmvrm Posts: 301
    Wwest,

Good to see that you agree that the Ford AWD is the BEST in the business.
    The proof was in the test drive in the desert of Dubai this past summer.
    "...Ford AWD is the best in the business.."

No, not, NEVER...!!

For sideways mounted engine vehicles, base FWD, the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system is more likely than otherwise....

The BEST in the Business.

I would suspect that anyone looking for an equivalent vehicle to the now obsolete :sick: Ford Explorer would be looking first at the Toyota 4runner.
    Question for Marielleleigh...

Suppose I get stuck in the mud, mud hole, and need to use wheelspin to rock back and forth and get up and going again, is there a way to disable TC such that that can be done...??

Or must I remove the ABS pumpmotor fuse to disable TC...??
  • sddreamssddreams Posts: 15
    edited December 2010
    Hi Marielle,

I am interested in the 2011 Limited 4WD. Does this version come standard with a moon roof over the driver/passenger area? My understanding was the Dual Panel Moonroof option was for a moon roof over the rear passenger area section and does not need to be selected to get a moon roof for the driver/passenger area.

Please advise.

Thank you
    Sam
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,611
    edited December 2010
    All right - we get it. You want a real 4wd with lockers and low range. Well the Explorer doesn't have it so give up - please. You've expressed your opinions in other threads. The new Explorer isn't for you but the rest of us would like to discuss it without your useless ranting.The Explorer isn't designed for your needs and Ford isn't going to bring the old one back.
    edited December 2010
    No, I have NO USE for "lockers" and most certainly NOT low range(***).

I'm simply saying that these new F/awd systems are flawed in that they either become USELESS (TC dethrottling and braking) or even PATENTLY UNSAFE in the very conditions, marginally traction conditions, for which most purchase them.

Loss of traction on the front wheels of a FWD or F/awd vehicle resulting from the use of too much engine drive torque for conditions is a really SERIOUS matter and therefore must be addressed URGENTLY. The new 2011 Ford Explorer addresses that urgency using INSTANT TC activation.

That urgency does not allow for a really useful SUV in certain common wintertime roadbed conditions.

The buying public is being sold a "load of poles" already with ANY F/awd system and even to a greater depth calling a sous ear (the 2011 Explorer)a silk purse (the legacy Explorer).

*** The 4runner "torsen" system or the latest Cayenne using the same elctromechanical clutch system as the 2011 Ford Explorer but for front drive torque apportionment would be my ideal R/awd systems.
  • @robr2 You can expect them in showrooms at the beginning of January :)
  • jpp5862jpp5862 NCPosts: 298
    I saw 2 2011 Explorers at a dealer here in NC yesterday, from looking at dealer sites online it appears they are starting to arrive in the large/medium sized markets.
    edited December 2010
    Are you certain you weren't seeing either Ford FreeStyles or Taurus X..? From a distance I doubt if anyone could easily tell the difference. IMMHO the 2011 Ford Explorer is simply an inexpensive method of making use of the FreeStyle and/or Taurus X factory tooling and production capacity.

Sure, they added a few technological aspects, but that could have, would have, been done to the Taurus X if it had not failed to be accepted in the marketplace.

Before purchasing a new 2011 Ford Explorer one should think long and hard about the platform's previous failure in the marketplace. Will rebadging the Taurus X as a Ford Explorer make it a success in the marketplace...?

Really....??!!
  • Hey Sam, thanks for the question!

The Dual-panel moon roof is optional only on the XLT and Limited trim. No moon roof will come standard. Also, the moon roof does not hit the 3rd row--only 1st and second.

Check out this video to see it in action!

edited December 2010
    Marielle:

At the recent Seattle auto show while I didn't get a very good look at the undercarriage it looked to me as if both the PTO and the rear diff'l/clutch might be water cooled.

It that the case..?

The Ford Escape and Mariner seem to have had an inordinate level of failures of these two drive line components, apparently due to over heating from inadvertent over use, reliance, by drivers. Does the new Explorer have that same temperature sensor setup in the rear diff'l/clutch as the Escape/Mariner to warn the driver that the drive line is overheating...?

The Mazda CX-7 using the same F/awd setup has always used water cooling for the PTO. Seemingly that has solved the overheating issue for the CX-7 F/awd system. The 2011 MDX also has a temperature sensor in the rear "diff'l" I assume for the same reasons as the Escape.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,456
    I probably could figure this out by going on the ford website, but can you get cross bars if you get the sun/moon roof?
    or maybe i should say does the 2011 explorer have roof rails if it has a sun/moon roof?
    with the edge it is either/or.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 301
    The automotive press has fallen in love with the 2011 Explorer.
    Specifically, the Terrain Management System is getting a lot of praise.

USA Today (Dec. 17):
    "All new Explorer makes a statement. Its smooth, comfy, smart and classy"

Wall Street Journal (Dec. 18-19):
    "On the road, the Explorer acquits the product planners with ride and handling that is stable, car-like and serene. The rear independent multilink suspension keeps the big machine planted......and the ride is composed and quiet, even with the 20 inch wheel and tire package on the Limited edition. Wind and road noise are competently smothered. I like it. Actually, I like it a lot better than before........."