Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F150 with the 3.5L twin turbo eco boost

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited March 2011
    My point is that if Ford is going to go to all the cost of redesigning and retooling for building engine heads to accommodate DFI why not go the extra step and bring the engine block itself up to DFI specs, 12:1 CR.

The current V6 engine block, ~10:1 compression ratio, could still be mated with the turbo and thereby run in detuned/derated mode, GAS GUZZLING MODE, 99% of the time.

Meanwhile Ford would have DFI V6 engine, 300HP or more, that has a 12:1 compression and thereby has more reasonable FE.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,651
    The current V6 engine block, ~10:1 compression ratio, could still be mated with the turbo and thereby run in detuned/derated mode, GAS GUZZLING MODE, 99% of the time.

Meanwhile Ford would have DFI V6 engine, 300HP or more, that has a 12:1 compression and thereby has more reasonable FE.

The current 3.7 v6 already has 302HP and class leading (EPA anyway) fuel economy. Should they boost compression and add direct injection? Sounds good, but a cost/benefit analysis would give the answer. Obviously adding DI does add cost and they want to be competitive on price. Still a DI high compression v6 isn't going to produce enough torque compared to a v8 or the Ecoboost v6 for serious towing.

I'm sure we'll be seeing more DI engines in the future. The 2012 Focus will have DI standard. So it's coming.
  • If you are buying a configuration that allows the ecoboost, it's a $1750
    option over the 3.7 and $750 over the 5.0 ....
    End of story ....
  • Ive heard the same thing. I have one and was averaging 26 at one point.
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    I purchased a 2011 F-150 with the new 3.7 engine. I have put 450 miles on the truck since the purchase, March 17. I can't decide if the engine underpowers the truck, since I have only driven that many miles. I wanted to know reactions to this engine from other owners.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,651
    Automotive News is reporting 35% of F150's are powered by the EB and 40% of orders are for EB too and their is only a 13 day supply of EB powered trucks. Wow.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110428/RETAIL01/110429875/1- 254
  • acdiiacdii Posts: 753
    edited May 2011
    I have a Flex with the Ecoboost, which is pretty close to the one in the F150, only difference is the cam and turbos between them. My Flex is getting avg of 19 MPG, but on open highway I get 27 MPG. The engine runs sweet on 87 octane, but kicks major butt on 93. It is a very strong engine, and after 18k miles in under a year of driving I have not one complaint on the motor. The computer can adjust the parameters depending on which fuel is in the tank, and does it smoothly, I never noticed any differences when running between 87-93-87 except for the increase in power with the 93. The engine has never once exhibited signs of knock, ping, stumble stutter or anything you would expect on an engine that had a turbo on it. I also have a 2010 Fusion Sport with the 3.5 V6, 265 HP, it gets avg 22 MPG, 32 has been seen on the highway, but I have to hypermile to get it, its more like 29 on the open highway. So my heavier, boxy Flex, with the 355 HP TC V6 is getting only 4 MPG less avg, and 2 MPG less Highway than my sleeker, lighter, NA sedan. It is a very good engine.

The beauty of the Ecoboost design is that the engine, turbos, cooling system, oil system, etc. are all part of the design from the ground up. Ford didn't take an off the shelf motor and slap a couple turbos on it and call it a TC. The block is designed to handle the gobs of power it can produce, if you watched the tear down you can see how they beefed up the lower end. This little V6 puts out almost as much power as my 7.3 powerstroke did.(I tweaked the 7.3, now its a monster) Power comes on strong right from 1500 RPM, you can really feel the pull when the gears are set right. I use the CC a lot, which helps keep the MPG high, since my right foot doesn't, :shades: and when I hit resume at 25 when it is set at 60, it doesn't downshift and scream, but pulls in each gear to get maximum power to fuel. It does it so smoothly that you don't notice you are doing 60 MPH.

Now that it has 18k on it, I can hear the turbos a bit, very subtle, but they are there, I couldn't hear them when I first got it, but I can hear them now.

I must have watched that video of the pulloff between the Ford, Gm and dudge about a dozen times, and laughed every time that gm came to a standstill up that hill, at least that is how the Ford made it look. They had to down rate the load on the F150 to 9600 pounds since that is what the GM is rated at. The little V6 has a higher towing capacity than the V8's in all the lines. That's pretty amazing. It wouldn't be able to replace my F350 though, since they don't have a crew cab with 8' bed in the F150, but if they did, it would be a serious candidate to replace it.
  • tigerjon1tigerjon1 Posts: 26
    edited May 2011
    Hello,

I have no idea if anyone is going to see this question or if I will be able to find it once I am finished, as Edmunds does not make it really easy to just post a new discussion. If anyone can recommend a forum for F-150 enthusiasts, please let me know.

I am soon to be in the market for a new vehicle (my wife's van will be paid off in a few months). I have never owned a truck, but it looks like now may be the time to pull the trigger. I work in sales, so even though I get 55 cents a mile, good mileage is important to me. I work in the construction supply business and a truck would be handy for lugging some pretty heavy stuff around. In addition, I hunt, so a truck will be handy for that too.

Right now I drive a 2006 Honda Pilot w/155k miles on it and it has been a pleasure owning it, as it has given me virtually no problems. Prior to this vehicle I owned a 2001 Explorer. I swore after dumping the Explorer with about 70k miles on it I'd never own a Ford again. It was the first Ford I'd ever owned, and it didn't leave a very good taste in my mouth. This vehicle gave us tons of trouble, most notably the rear-end diff going out on us twice. Conveniently for Ford, both times occurred after the 36k mile warranty had expired. Aside from changing the oil, brake pads, and plugs, I am not very mechanically inclined when it comes to motor vehicles, but I know my driving habits had little to nothing to do with the problems I had with this vehicle. I do not tow anything. I baby our vehicles as much as possible (to get the best mileage I can), and I just plain take care of my stuff.

Anyway, to get on with it, I have never owned a truck, but for the stated reasons, I can justify getting one. I will not get a Ram due to stories I've heard about Chrysler's reliability (no offense, Dodge owners). I will never go near a GM due to the Obama bailout ( I didn't vote for the guy). So I guess it's Ford again. However, other than an unproven engine (in a truck anyways), I am not worried as much as I thought I might be. I have always heard that Ford trucks are fine, they stumble sometimes in their SUVs. Also, I understand Ford has made strides in quality since our old Exploder was manufactured.

With all that out, I am looking for some solid advice on if this is the best truck for me. I would love to hear from Ecoboost owners and what they think so far. Also, would it be out of the question for a dealer to offer an extension of the factory warranty (at least on the PT), or a good deal on an extended warranty. Also, I understand I just missed Truck Month. I have already told one dealer we are not in a big hurry to buy, but if Ford threw out some more rebates, we might be encouraged to jump on them. Any advice on how I should go about this would be greatly appreciated. BTW, we can get the X plan, so divulging this to the dealer will come last.

Thanks for any help.

TJ
    Kansas City
  • twwebertwweber Posts: 4
    The short answer is that only buy as much truck as you need. Look at your needs (towing, hauling etc) and choose accordingly. While it's nice to have a big truck, you pay on fuel economy. I've had several F150's and think they are great trucks. By far, better than the rest.

In regards to negotiation, there is no real reason to hold back on the X plan info. You are really only negotiating trade in at that point since X plan basically sets the price. As you may guess, I have it as well. The good news is that the price is below invoice. The bad news is that Ford does not mark up their vehicles as much as some others. Another tip is that options have more markup than higher trim levels. So for example, you could find that X plan on an XLT with lots of options (leather etc) is cheaper than X plan on a Lariat with no options.

You get all rebates with X plan and my gut tells me that $4 gas will cause trucks not to move. If that happens then I expect the mfgs to slap $4K of rebates on trucks in the next 60 days. Now, who knows if Ford will restrict rebates on the Ecoboost, but I do expect higher rebates on trucks.

With X plan, you are better off buying when inventory is high and not at the end of the year. That way, you get the rebate, the cheap price and have an easier time picking out the truck you want. I swapped my last F 150 in Jun 2010. I kept watching and the deals the rest of the year did not improve upon the x plan and rebates. That would not be the case for everyone, but it was for x plan.

Good luck.
  • donl1donl1 Posts: 109
    www.F150online.net and www.Ford150.net are a couple of forums with plenty of discussion on the Eco-Boost and Ford 150's in general. Hope this doesn't upset Edmunds.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,907
    A reporter is looking to interview owners of the Ford F-150 EcoBoost. Please email pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, June 13, 2011 if you'd like to share your thoughts on the vehicle.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• cat125cat125 Posts: 36
    Very interested in hearing comments - looked at the 3.7 today and also the 3.5 eco and there is a difference in initial pick-up however was wondering how the 3.5 eco drives at higher speeds since it has more torque - is it a subbtle ride or more torque inspired - how does it compare overall to the 3.7 besides having more initial power
  • stonesistonesi Posts: 4
    I just received my special ordered 2011 F-150 regular cab, 2 wd, 8' bed, equipped with the 3.7 and 3.73 limited slip rear end. It seems quicker than my '04 with the 5.4, although not as much torque, as I feel the load when hauling even 1000 lbs. Engine sounds fantastic, much smoother than the 5.4. The transmission shifts to high gear quickly, which is part of the reason. An excellent truck over-all, much improved over the '04. Love the gauge package, sync, sirrius radio,and the new look. I'm getting 18.1 mpg, a 3+ mpg improvement over the 5.4, and I use it as a truck. Haven't towed a trailer yet. I test drove a eco-boost before I ordered my truck, and it was very quick! The 3.5 is supposed to tow much better than the 3.7, however I couldn't order the 3.5 and the custom package together. I'm very happy with the performance of the 3.7
    wonder if the crew cab will move as well as the regular cab - probably - Im thinking of the 5.5 bed - the 3.73 rear end makes a big difference - thanks for your input -
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    I purchased an F-150 Supercab in March with the 3.7 engine. It currently has 2500 miles on it. I am happy with the engine. The thing that I had to get used to was the low rpms of the engine. It just sounded different than my five speed. Not a complaint, just an observation. I have not clocked the mpg that the sticker shows. With true around town driving with a lot of stops and starts, I get 14.7 miles per gallon. On the road, I get 20 mpg typically. I changed the 17's that were original equipment to 18's. I don't know whether that contributed to less miles per gallon. The truck is tight and the ride is good. It is a much nicer handling truck than my 2007.
    The low rpms in happening to a lot of US manufactured suvs and trucks - new chevy Tahoes are the same way and in fact the change was so dramatic it was a deal breaker for me from the 2008 version - thanks for the feedback
    Is there too much torque in this engine ??? probably sounds stupid but keep hearing comparisons between the eco-boost and the 6.2 engine in the raptor and frankly I'm looking for a pick-up truck that provides cargo space but mostly interested in comfort - so far people that I've asked have been unable to explain the difference in torque from one of these eco-boost trucks and the other engines. Does the extra torque make the truck drive like Porsche or an SUV ??? \not sure if this makes sense but appreciate any comments
    Is there too much torque in this engine ??? probably sounds stupid but keep hearing comparisons between the eco-boost and the 6.2 engine in the raptor and frankly I'm looking for a pick-up truck that provides cargo space but mostly interested in comfort - so far people that I've asked have been unable to explain the difference in torque from one of these eco-boost trucks and the other engines. Does the extra torque make the truck drive like Porsche or an SUV ??? \not sure if this makes sense but appreciate any comments
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The EcoBoost gashog, gas-guzling engine runs in detuned/derated mode except "mostly" or fully on-boost, so the extra torque is NOT there except for acceleration, SERIOUS acceleration.
    now that makes a lot more sense - thanks
  • cletus3cletus3 Posts: 1
    I bought my wife a 2010 Taurus SHO with the eco-boost, this car was the reason for my purchase of a 2011 Ford f150 super crew with the same engine. The truck is the best 150 I have ever owned. The power is fantastic, the fuel milage is good(16.5 average, 21.3 on the trip to Florida). With the 3:55 posi trac rear end, I can pull my 7200 pound Searay with no problems. The big difference is that it runs a whole lot stronger on premium fuel, have a little over 8000 miles on it, and like it better everyday.
    Just got mine - Lariat 3:55 posi trac - Ecoboost - very nice - there is slight vibration on the engine think is the cheap gas - will fill up with premium to see how it works - thanks
    Just purchased a F150 Lariat with ecoboost engine - there is a vibration when the engine is in drive or reverse - as soon as placed in neutral or drive it does not - talked to the service manager and he says it has to do with the fact there is toque once the transmision is engaged - not sure if this happens on all 2011 F-150's or just the ones with ecoboost engine - can anyone comment -
    Is the the cheap gas ??? not sure it is because it does not vibrate once its placed on neutral or parking -
    Just purchased a F150 Lariat with ecoboost engine - there is a vibration when the engine is in drive or reverse - as soon as placed in neutral or drive it does not - talked to the service manager and he says it has to do with the fact there is toque once the transmision is engaged - not sure if this happens on all 2011 F-150's or just the ones with ecoboost engine - can anyone comment
  • curt1234curt1234 Posts: 8
    Can some of the EcoBoost owners post prices paid to options? I am about to buy a truck and I need to get an idea how much you are getting OFF msrp. Thanks
    $ 2000 off msrp
  • curt1234curt1234 Posts: 8
    Can you give an idea what the msrp was? Thanks in advance.
  • bubbabudbubbabud Posts: 1
    Torque is the amount twist at agiven RPM. the more torque and higher RPM equel more horsepower. the Ecoboost deveopes its max torque at lowerRPM hence it can do more work at alower engine speed. Ideal for trucks. I took delivery of my Ecoboost F150sc on 05/30 2011 and have only put 1600 miles on it but it is averageing 21.3MPG On a trip to Flagstaff AZ. elev. 7000 ft.Inoticed NO drop in power The torque is comparable to my first dodge diesel.Now if it will just stay together this truck will be awsom.
    have you noticed a slight vibration at idle in drive or reverse ??? it goes away when place in neutral or park . thought it was cheap gas but its not -