Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F150 with the 3.5L twin turbo eco boost

Comments

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    A reporter is looking to interview owners of the Ford F-150 EcoBoost. Please email pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Monday, June 13, 2011 if you'd like to share your thoughts on the vehicle.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• cat125cat125 Posts: 36
    Very interested in hearing comments - looked at the 3.7 today and also the 3.5 eco and there is a difference in initial pick-up however was wondering how the 3.5 eco drives at higher speeds since it has more torque - is it a subbtle ride or more torque inspired - how does it compare overall to the 3.7 besides having more initial power
  • stonesistonesi Posts: 4
    I just received my special ordered 2011 F-150 regular cab, 2 wd, 8' bed, equipped with the 3.7 and 3.73 limited slip rear end. It seems quicker than my '04 with the 5.4, although not as much torque, as I feel the load when hauling even 1000 lbs. Engine sounds fantastic, much smoother than the 5.4. The transmission shifts to high gear quickly, which is part of the reason. An excellent truck over-all, much improved over the '04. Love the gauge package, sync, sirrius radio,and the new look. I'm getting 18.1 mpg, a 3+ mpg improvement over the 5.4, and I use it as a truck. Haven't towed a trailer yet. I test drove a eco-boost before I ordered my truck, and it was very quick! The 3.5 is supposed to tow much better than the 3.7, however I couldn't order the 3.5 and the custom package together. I'm very happy with the performance of the 3.7
    wonder if the crew cab will move as well as the regular cab - probably - Im thinking of the 5.5 bed - the 3.73 rear end makes a big difference - thanks for your input -
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 451
    I purchased an F-150 Supercab in March with the 3.7 engine. It currently has 2500 miles on it. I am happy with the engine. The thing that I had to get used to was the low rpms of the engine. It just sounded different than my five speed. Not a complaint, just an observation. I have not clocked the mpg that the sticker shows. With true around town driving with a lot of stops and starts, I get 14.7 miles per gallon. On the road, I get 20 mpg typically. I changed the 17's that were original equipment to 18's. I don't know whether that contributed to less miles per gallon. The truck is tight and the ride is good. It is a much nicer handling truck than my 2007.
    The low rpms in happening to a lot of US manufactured suvs and trucks - new chevy Tahoes are the same way and in fact the change was so dramatic it was a deal breaker for me from the 2008 version - thanks for the feedback
    Is there too much torque in this engine ??? probably sounds stupid but keep hearing comparisons between the eco-boost and the 6.2 engine in the raptor and frankly I'm looking for a pick-up truck that provides cargo space but mostly interested in comfort - so far people that I've asked have been unable to explain the difference in torque from one of these eco-boost trucks and the other engines. Does the extra torque make the truck drive like Porsche or an SUV ??? \not sure if this makes sense but appreciate any comments
    Is there too much torque in this engine ??? probably sounds stupid but keep hearing comparisons between the eco-boost and the 6.2 engine in the raptor and frankly I'm looking for a pick-up truck that provides cargo space but mostly interested in comfort - so far people that I've asked have been unable to explain the difference in torque from one of these eco-boost trucks and the other engines. Does the extra torque make the truck drive like Porsche or an SUV ??? \not sure if this makes sense but appreciate any comments
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The EcoBoost gashog, gas-guzling engine runs in detuned/derated mode except "mostly" or fully on-boost, so the extra torque is NOT there except for acceleration, SERIOUS acceleration.
    now that makes a lot more sense - thanks
  • cletus3cletus3 Posts: 1
    I bought my wife a 2010 Taurus SHO with the eco-boost, this car was the reason for my purchase of a 2011 Ford f150 super crew with the same engine. The truck is the best 150 I have ever owned. The power is fantastic, the fuel milage is good(16.5 average, 21.3 on the trip to Florida). With the 3:55 posi trac rear end, I can pull my 7200 pound Searay with no problems. The big difference is that it runs a whole lot stronger on premium fuel, have a little over 8000 miles on it, and like it better everyday.
    Just got mine - Lariat 3:55 posi trac - Ecoboost - very nice - there is slight vibration on the engine think is the cheap gas - will fill up with premium to see how it works - thanks
    Just purchased a F150 Lariat with ecoboost engine - there is a vibration when the engine is in drive or reverse - as soon as placed in neutral or drive it does not - talked to the service manager and he says it has to do with the fact there is toque once the transmision is engaged - not sure if this happens on all 2011 F-150's or just the ones with ecoboost engine - can anyone comment -
    Is the the cheap gas ??? not sure it is because it does not vibrate once its placed on neutral or parking -
    Just purchased a F150 Lariat with ecoboost engine - there is a vibration when the engine is in drive or reverse - as soon as placed in neutral or drive it does not - talked to the service manager and he says it has to do with the fact there is toque once the transmision is engaged - not sure if this happens on all 2011 F-150's or just the ones with ecoboost engine - can anyone comment
  • curt1234curt1234 Posts: 8
    Can some of the EcoBoost owners post prices paid to options? I am about to buy a truck and I need to get an idea how much you are getting OFF msrp. Thanks
    $ 2000 off msrp
  • curt1234curt1234 Posts: 8
    Can you give an idea what the msrp was? Thanks in advance.
  • bubbabudbubbabud Posts: 1
    Torque is the amount twist at agiven RPM. the more torque and higher RPM equel more horsepower. the Ecoboost deveopes its max torque at lowerRPM hence it can do more work at alower engine speed. Ideal for trucks. I took delivery of my Ecoboost F150sc on 05/30 2011 and have only put 1600 miles on it but it is averageing 21.3MPG On a trip to Flagstaff AZ. elev. 7000 ft.Inoticed NO drop in power The torque is comparable to my first dodge diesel.Now if it will just stay together this truck will be awsom.
    have you noticed a slight vibration at idle in drive or reverse ??? it goes away when place in neutral or park . thought it was cheap gas but its not -