Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sequoia vs Chevy Suburban, Chevy Tahoe, GMC Yukon XL

Comments

• jenvwjenvw Posts: 4
    we are considering trading our suburban in for a sequoia because they have an center shoulder belt. We have 3 young kids and would like to do more carpooling, but are limited to the 4 seats in the suburban with shoulder belts. I hate to give up the extra room of the suburban. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket options for converting the seatbelts in the middle positions to shoulder belts? Or, with regard to the sequoia, is there enough room foer a family of 5, strollers, grogeries, hockey equipment, etc. Anyone owning one care to comment on this? Thanks
  • gkatz1gkatz1 Posts: 296
    Plenty of room, my friend. It's only 15 inches shorter than the Suburban. I have three kids, 13, 12 and 20 mos (w/overly huge car seat). Even with the third row left in place it can be folded or flipped forward. With them in place for sitting we can still fit all the strollers, etc with room to spare. Also, you can split the third row too, so if you have an extra person and still need cargo, that works also. Think of it as a compromise between a Tahoe and a Suburban.
  • stakeoutstakeout Posts: 173
    about a week ago took my first test drive of the Sequoia at a local dealer... the salesman tagged along with us.. not nice.. I guess he didn't think my wife's '01 Subn LT 4x4 was worth the collateral.. anyway.. I have a Z71 '01 of my own..

I drove it.. thought I was back in my old '97 Expedition.. sure didn't impress me to the point that the price difference vs Subn/Tahoe was worth it.. was aiming to get the Sequoia Limited for my wife.. maybe my aims were set too high.. I'm sure the Sequoia will be quality having owned a number of Toyotas in the past but not to the point of 3-4K difference in price..

one thing I noted.. gotta remember the salesman is in the back seat on this test drive.. I noticed the tranny 'banging' into second gear upon startup from a stop.. now I'm not talking a fast startup.. just a non-chalant pickup.. same 2-3rd gear 'clank like the Chevys... not all the time.. but noticed it 3 or 4 times on this test...

the interior sure didn't impress us.. thought it would be a lot different and upscale.. to me it wasn't.. and they sure do like to 'knock' Chevy and GM.. but I guess that's salesman boloney...really didn't care..

when he wanted 4-5% over invoice I laughed.. the truck seemed outdated... a fine quality though.. maybe.. only long term would tell .. so far thru the internet, best prices I got was $1K over invoice.. with a few more the same as his.. yikes..

looks like we just got used to a 'bigger truck'..
    the Sequoia is off our list.. we were disappointed..
  • The 04 Sub has a shoulder belt in the 2nd row center seat. We have an 02 Sub and it does not. I just got back from the Chevy dealer. Plan on getting a loaded 04 Sub this month. Also, the LATCH system in the 04 Sub is real easy to use.
  • gator36gator36 Posts: 294
    I thought I would throw in my .02 cents.

After a recent trip to the Auto Show in Motion...
    I had a chance to drive a Seq right next to a Burb.
    These vehicles are pounded on during this show. People gun the engine and slam on the brakes. Everyone punches buttons, opens and slams doors.
    From what I saw and felt, the Seq did not hold up. It rattled, missing buttons, doors did not seem to fit right. The Suburban did not rattle, Had more miles on it than the Seq and it's interior was in better condition. It was obvious that it held up better.
    Ride quality, I felt like I was in a very capable truck in the burb and in the seq, it felt like a street racer that wanted to be a truck.
    Someone mentioned in earlier posts that the GM boards are full of gripes and problems.
    One needs to consider the sheer number of owners of GM versus Toyota Suv's. The ratio of complaints to owners are not as lopsided as some would like to make everyone believe.
    There is also a fundamental difference in the type of persons owning GM versus Toyota's. GM owners are generally very vocal about complaints. (almost making a mountain out of a molehill) Toyota owners are not vocal and chalk things up to "inconviences" (the proverbial ostrich with his head in the sand).
    Then there is issues with the various service departments. I have had first hand experiences on both sides of the fence.
    Toyota... Oil sludge, thats your problem. It takes an act of god for Toyota to admit that there is a problem.
    GM. Initial responses can be of denial, yet I have seen them go half on the cost of a major component to satisfy a customer. I have never seen that out of a Toyota dealer.
    Then we can talk ablout TSB's
    Oh wait, Toyota doesn't have TSB's, that would be a sign of weaknes that is not allowed in their culture. (Yes Toyota does have TSB's) Toyota does fight tooth and nail to keep a potential TSB or recall from ever seeing the light of day. (god forbid someone would see that HUMANS make these vehicles).

GM, walk into a service department with the proper TSB in hand and GM will be happy to perform the repair. (make sure it applies to your situation)

I can hear the arguments already... "If GM has soo many tsb's they must be producing inferior cars"
    or anything else along those lines. Just remember this, How many of those TSB are mere Service manual updates, Labor operation code updates, Body repair proceedures or upgrades to the vehicles computer code?

I have owned both Toyota and GM, My next vehicle will be a GM in light of the recent trip to the autoshow and experience with friends Toyota's and GM vehicles.
    I'm not sure where you come up with some of your assertions and I really don't want to go point for point. But, I'll tell you that Sequoia owners are very picky, most Toyota owners are. People who buy Toyota's do so because they want a quality superior product. When a Toyota has a quality issue (regardless how small) their owners tend to be very vocal. I find GM owners much more accepting of minor issues like rattles, etc but that's just my observation.

As for TSB's, Toyota issues TSB's pretty regularly (I have access to all of them). GM has more because their lines are more diverse and expansive. But overall, Toyota is much better in initial and long-term quality.
  • fanman8fanman8 Posts: 65
    You said "I have owned both Toyota and GM, My next vehicle will be a GM in light of the recent trip to the autoshow and experience with friends Toyota's and GM vehicles."

Good luck with your choice. Both the Sequoia and the Suburban are a good choice. For me, reliability plays an important part in my decision making. Here's how I see it. That extra length in the Burb is just enough to cause parking and getting into tighter spaces more than an inconvenience for me. Fit and finish in the Burb is not as good as in Toyota Sequoia. Better reliability goes also to Toyota Sequoia. In the current issue of Consumer Reports regarding reliability you will find many Toyota's including the Toyota Sequoia. What you won't find, however, in that list of CR good bets is the Suburban. I for one would put more stock in Consumer's interpretation of these facts than what two vehicles looked like to someone at an Auto Show after some hard miles. Also,the Suburban with 13 miles per gallon overall in their tests should be considered somewhat dismal by today's standards. Just my 2 cents.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Posts: 249
    of vehicles from GM vs. Toyota in the Consumer Reports Auto issue with regards to reliability. Black dots bad, red dots good! This is simple data reported back from owners. Oh, that's right the Toyota owners have their head in the sand. Maybe we could look at the average number of problems reported in the 1yr, 3 yr and 5 yr. chart. Yep, still in the sand....please.
    Toyota owners are very picky?

I can't believe that when I have been next to numerous Toyotas at a traffic light or anyplace else and listened to the ticking in their motors. I have heard the piston slap that affects the mentioned GM motors and the ticking in Toyota motors is louder and more prevalent.

Consumer reports, again let us look at the demographics as well as personality profiles.
    Oh wait they do not look at that.

Typical responses I have expected, have come up from the posts I have seen. Reason and rational arguments have not been presented. Sort of a napoleonic response I guess. I am done. Have fun everyone.
    Why do people pay more to buy a Toyota? BECAUSE THEY WANT A HIGHER QUALITY VEHICLE! Usually people who pay a premium expect their monies worth. Piston slap in Toyota's has been minimal compared to the huge problem with the GM's. Where GM also had increased oil consumption and other related issues, the Toyota's did not and just slapped when cold. Toyota is not perfect by any means, but to say GM is just as good isn't being very honest.
  • fanman8fanman8 Posts: 65
    For those of you who are on the fence and can't decide between the Sequoia and the Suburban here is some factual data to help with your decision making.
    Side curtain airbags available in Sequoia.
    No side curtain airbags are available in Suburban. NHTS crash tests indicated Sequoia to be a safer vehicle with 5 stars for Driver and 5 stars for passenger. Suburban on the other hand lists 4 Stars for Driver and 3 stars for passenger. Sequoia has 5 year 60,000 mile power train warranty while Suburban has three year 36,000 mile warranty. JD Power and Associates rated Sequoia third among full size sport utility vehicles in initial quality. The Suburban isn't in the top three. Sequoia has better steering response and tighter handling because it has rack and pinion steering instead of recurculating ball type steering in the Suburban. Sequoia turning circle is 42.3' while Suburban is 44.5' And as mentioned earlier, the Sequoia is one foot 3.4 inches shorter making it easier to handle, maneuver and park in tight spaces.
    Do you know of anyone that owns a GM vortec motor 99-2003 that has piston slap and oil consumption?
    Or are you just responding to one or two messages?

And that is percieved higher quality...
  • dako_tiandako_tian Posts: 298
    because I needed to carry 8 people, 4 adults and 3/5/9/12 year old kids, all with shoulder belts (one child safety seat in 3rd row middle with a tether) and luggage on vacation and have all that inside the vehicle. I also needed to stay as close to $30,000 as possible. We paid just under $32,000 for a new 2003 YXL last November using GM and dealer incentives. We did get cloth (my choice in any case), bucket front seats, Bose stereo, etc. So it is far from spartan. Try doing all that in a Sequoia.

If your needs are different, your pockets deeper, your luck and/or shopping skills worse, or biases more entrenched then you may well choose differently. Enjoy what you drive.
  • tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    Well, my unscientific observation seems to reveal that there are more NBS Suburbans than Sequoias out on the roads...and wasn't the Tahoe the best-selling full-sized SUV--in terms of units sold--last year or the year before? Surely the GM SUVs can't be all that bad if there are that many out there...
    You're right they are good trucks, if it wasn't for the 80's interior I would have bought one. However, they are not at the same level of quality as the Toyota. Not yet anyway.
  • petro33petro33 Posts: 192
    If there was any doubt about what the public likes and reliability issues that were independently put together just read the latest issue of Consumer Reports!!
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,960
    "And if you must drive a titanic SUV, you really can't beat a Suburban for ease of use and passenger hauling."

Sequoia Test Drive (Forbes)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• raddboy41raddboy41 Posts: 249
    I've always had a hard time placing any credence in "lifestyle" magazines that can't even get the engine size correct.

"And although the 4.6-liter V-8 is buttery, and shifts from the four-speed automatic are as clean as any in all of truckdom, the motor only knocks out 240hp and 315 ft.-lbs. of torque. "
  • husky92husky92 Posts: 56
    And how about the picture of the DVD player? I don't know where that's from, but it's not a Sequoia. Maybe a Landcruiser.
    I noticed that too! I don't think it's a Land Cruiser either.