Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford C-MAX

Comments

• dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    Only had my C-Max SE two days now but so far I LOVE it!! It's a very comfortable ride, visibility is very good, everything (including doors closing) seems to be of good to high quality. I traded in my 2009 Honda Fit Sport which I liked a lot and which gave me 33 to 34 m.p.g. for 3 years. The C-Max seems much more refined and even the SE comes with things like Bluetooth. I like Hondas and once owned their Insight which I HATED! This C-Max is my first American car in 30 or 40 years.
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    I have an '07 Fit right now. Does the cargo area behind the 2nd row of the C-Max seem much bigger than that of the Fit behind the 2nd row? The Fit is rated at 21CuFt and the C-Max at 24CuFt. Also, how much more roomy do the rear seats seem in the C-Max? I won't ask about MPG because you just bought it. Fuel Economy .gov has 5 drivers reporting an average of 39mpg vs the EPA average of 47mpg, but it will be a year before accurate "real-world" mpg figures come out.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33010
    Hi,
    The cargo area behind the upright rear seats seems about the same to me in the C-Max as in my 09 Fit but it may be a bit larger/wider. I'm waiting for the rear tray to come in to haul some things to the dump/recycling center. I'll have a better idea when I do that. Sorry but I haven't even sat in the rear seats yet but looking in at the rear bench seat it doesn't look bigger than the Fit but it must be because the Fit seats 4 and the C-Max seats 5. Sorry I wasn't able to help more. I'd say the ride is the biggest difference I've noticed. Low scores for the long braking distances and the turning radius is truly HUGE after the Fit. I owned a Honda Insight and I HATED it but I'm liking this C-Max a lot!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    It would be even better of Ford would spend the extra $20 for the valve set that would allow you to run the "A/C" as a heat pump. CHILL the OUTSIDE, not the INSIDE.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,818
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns the latest model Subaru Impreza or Ford C-Max, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 1, 2012, for use in a print publication. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2012 for a copy of the survey.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Just took delivery this week of c max energi w/ all bells 'n whistles. Very impressed w/ handling, performance, build quality etc. Ford seems to have a real winner with this one. Mileage is running about 40 - 42 MPG, and I really don't drive it in the most efficient manner.
    One post mentioned the sensitivity of the brakes, they are excellent in my opinion, good linear pedal travel and a nice firm pedal, easy and very smooth transition from regen to conventional. I got used to them in a few hours of city driving and this is the first EV I've ever owned or driven. Another was concerned about lost space due to the larger battery, it really doesn't amount to much unless you want to stuff it full from from floor to ceiling. I'll run it for a few months to give it a good breaking in and report back on mileage etc.
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    As the owner of a 2011 Honda Fit base the CMax sounds like a winner & I am partially wishing I had waited for the CMax. I appreciate these early posts, especially comparing the CMax to the ICE Fit & also the Leaf. Some of you are quite the math pros!

Regarding real world mileage I noticed that the Edmunds testers said their CMax Hybrid mileage was about 10 mpg less that that the EPA 44. I assume the car was not fully broken in so that may not be true real world mileage. (from my memory, not sure how accurate that is).

In my Fit I consistently get 36-38 mpg in mix driving.(driven conservatively but not a true hypermiler style). I will be closely following this forum to see how the CMax stacks up as owners get more miles & experience with their new CMaxes.

Thanks & please keep the information coming!
    I don't think you should have any regrets owning a Honda Fit. I had mine for 3 trouble-free years and averaged 33 m.p.g. all on short trips to town in the mountains of western, NC. The Fit has better brakes (shorter stopping distances) and tighter turning circles. Having said that I really like my C-Max SE. More later as I gather more miles & experience with it but the other day I got up to 52.5 m.p.h. on battery alone on a straight country road doing the speed limit. Combined mileage on these short drives (lifetime) I make is 37 m.p.g. but I have seen 50+ m.p.g. Outside temps seem to make a difference; cooler weather keeps the C-Max from going to 100% battery sooner. Even if I don't ever get (and may not) the claimed 47 m.p.g. it's still a very nice riding and driving vehicle with many tech extras (Bluetooth) the Fit didn't have. Loved my Fit so will try to be objective.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,818
    A reporter is looking for people who have shopped or bought either a Prius V or a Ford C-Max hybrid as an "alternative family car." If you'd like to share your experience, please send and e-mail to pr@edmunds.com by December 10, 2012.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Davemco3, how much you paid for your fully loaded C-Max Energi?
  • I ordered a C-Max Energi in August. I've been blogging about it since that time. There's quite a bit of information at my website that may be of interest to C-Max owners or prospective owners. http://cmaxchat.com
  • It was the first energi that the dealer sold. I have dealt w/ this dealer for over 25 years and he made me a deal " I couldn't refuse". I leased it as there is a $3750 up front rebate on a lease and only $750 on a purchase. My final lease cost was $31500. w/o the glass roof. But like I said he made me a very good deal and said that they probably won't discount these cars until they become plentiful. Right now they are selling within one or two days after arriving at the dealer.
  • hofhof Posts: 15
    On a lease, there are three ways that they can deal (1) trade-in allowance; (2) cost factor/ leasing factor (like the interest rate), and (3) the residual value. What kind of rate and residual did you get? How did that compare to the non-Energi C-max?
  • cshelleycshelley Posts: 10
    edited December 2012
    I should probably just let Mr Liu respond, but here's a discussion of the sale on C-MaxChat's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CMaxChat/posts/563136167036493?comment_id=119061664&not- - if_t=share_comment
  • I didn't lease, I bought it financed thru my credit union. Also I didn't have a trade in for my neighbor wants to purchase my 1993 Acura Legend Coupe L.
  • Just picked up a new C Max SE. Have had a Prius for 22 months as a comparison.

The Good: C Max performs very well on dry roads. Out performs the Prius. More powerful than the Prius. Brakes OK, but Prius may have a slight edge. Road noise not an issue, but is a major problem in the Prius. C Max handles very well in high winds as does the Prius. A lot more extras as compared to Prius models. The C Max sound system is outstanding with the Equipment Group 202A (MyFord touch & Sirius package). Highly recommend this. In storage space the Prius has the edge. Settings easier to read than on the Prius. The out of date LCD format on Prius is a major problem, but the C Max has LED or other bright formats.

The bad: Some of the gauges and setups take some getting used to. Maybe not just as user friendly as the Prius, but not a deal breaker. No spare - I repeat no spare tire. Window tint essentially non-existent. You will have to spend $244-279 bucks to make it right.

The ugly: 23 mpg during hard city driving. 36 mpg on highway with conservative driving by a well experienced Prius driver. If you are truly interested in a green hybrid that gets 47 mpg (as advertised), then this is a deal breaker. This is a first use experience. Will give interval update.
  • hotpotatohotpotato Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    My experience is similar to yours.

I have a C-Max hybrid as my personal car and a Prius as a company car.

A C-Max is heavier, taller, wider, and considerably more powerful than a Prius V, so physics dictates that it won't get better mileage--but surprisingly it doesn't do much worse either, with owners of both reporting numbers in the high-30s to low-40s range on Fuelly.com and fueleconomy.gov. The Prius Liftback will out-MPG either one all day long, of course.

I find the Prius dashboard computer estimated MPG about as realistic and accurate as the C-Max's EPA estimated MPG--that is, absurdly optimistic vs actual calculated MPG. (The C-Max's computer is pretty accurate.)

Personally I wonder if Ford erred in positioning this car against any Prius, because to some degree the cars appeal to different people. I respect the Prius for its mileage supremacy, but don't like the compromises it makes to eke out those last few MPG (in acceleration, handling, road noise). In short, I like to drive, and the Prius doesn't. The C-Max drives like a German entry-luxury sedan, gets the MPG of a flyweight Honda Fit, and swallows cargo and dogs like a Mazda 5 minivan. For me, that's the sweet spot.
  • Follow up on 2013 C Max SE. There have been a few minor problems that were easily taken care of by the local dealer. Passing 5,000 miles, overall MPG is 37.3. This is with very careful driving with a light foot and lots of coasting.
    Ford dealer has no explanation and was of no help regarding the mileage.

At this 4 month interval my conclusion based on the experience of one C Max: If you are planning to purchase the C Max to get 47 MPG, you will most likely be disappointed. If you just want a good little hybrid that is fun to drive and gets fairly good mileage, then consider the C Max. The Prius is still the hybrid gold standard for MPG, but Ford is definitely in the ball game.
  • Hi there was woundering since yoy get $3750 on federal taxes, how much would you get for state of illinois taxes on return
  • early74bearly74b Posts: 34
    edited June 2013
    Also being from IL, I can share with you that unfortunately the C-Max Energi (the version with the plug-in battery, not just the 'regular' non plug-in Hybrid model) does NOT qualify under the IL EPA program due to the fact (again, these are the IL EPA rules) that it has a 'regular' internal combustion engine along with a battery pack versus something like the Chevy Volt whose gas engine is actually a generator that powers up the battery while doing its backup duties. You can find more information on what cars are eligible on the IL Green Fleets site at:

link title

We currently own a Nissan LEAF which is 100% electric so we received a $3,725 cash rebate (the rebate is 10% of MSRP up to $4K), no tax return is necessary to get it. Another agency in IL also offers a 50% rebate on the equip + install of an EVSE (the 240V connection for faster than 120V charging) as well. The C-Max Energi has a fairly small battery so many go without putting in a charger.

On last thing about the IL EPA rebates, they're for purchased not leased cars unlike the Fed Tax Credit which could be applied against the lease or taken as a tax credit after you file your tax return. Believe me, we checked out all the angles before hand --- IL also has special 'EL' plates for $18/yr but only for 100% electric cars.

The C-Max (either version) was a possibility for us but the battery version simply lost too much storage space versus the hybrid and we found those 2nd row seats too hard and uncomfortable. For a couple, who doesn't need extra space and carry many people its not a bad commuter ... if you drive very short distances the Energi model would do well on 100% electric but it's pricey for what you get IMO.

As we'll be in the market for another short trip (30 mile r/t) car that would replace a smart fortwo coupe we're hopeful the 100% electric version will be coming to IL soon as well as the Fiat 500e and BMW i3 but as always, electric cars have be slow to come to IL so we need to be patient.