Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Truly safe?

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    It's cultural.

"For the most part, the driving reality prevails and drivers use their expertise and best judgment to navigate safely.

•high-intensity drivers use their own judgment about the rate of speed to travel, constantly adjusting based on traffic conditions

•high-intensity drivers seek to accommodate.

•Most of those who drive high-traffic freeways regularly are highly proficient drivers.

•practice defensive driving with predominant thought given to driving needs, the road and other drivers"

Creating A Safety Culture (AutoObserver)
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,890
    That might explain why so many around here act like they have been lobotomized once they get on a freeway - they don't do it enough.

I'd say many of us on this site are "high intensity" drivers, myself included. I'm far from perfect, but I pay attention to everything continuously, and the lack of crashes and tickets on my record can't be out of coincidence.
    edited May 2011
    I'm far from perfect

You'll get better as you get closer to my age. :D

"With age we know that people generally make more appropriate decisions in the vehicle. They self regulate and take themselves out of situations where they perceive the risk is high. That includes not driving at night, avoiding left turns, driving during non–rush hour periods. In essence, they make themselves safer drivers by taking less risk. In younger groups, what we see is they don't have that level of judgment. They're “invincible,” per se."

Confronting 'Age' Of Driver Distraction At MIT (AutoObserver)
    edited May 2011
    Driving at night, left turns, and driving in traffic are especially risky? Those who think so need to limit their driving to Sundays before noon :shades:

I guess not driving at all is the best way to have less incidents.

I don't know if the civil war vet in his pristine 20 year old Caddy going 55 in the left lane of a 60 with traffic flying around him is making an appropriate decision - something that seems to come with age.

It's going to be scary as hell in about 20 years when the boomers get to be elderly, but won't have the ability to admit it. Many also seem to have more money than they deserve, which means behemoth motorhomes and poserfied Harleys will be even more of a problem.
    edited May 2011
    The only wreck I ever had was in a Datsun wagon back in the late 70's in my Memphis years.

I pulled out of a BBQ joint going left on a four lane and hit a car in the fender. Ruined my dinner.

The car was a nice pristine Cadillac driven by a woman toting her grandkids somewhere. :shades:

I was around 27 at the time, and I've tried to avoid unprotected left turns ever since, especially on busier streets.
    I'd blame the food or the car :shades:

I've never had a problem with left turns on 4+ lane roads, but they aren't the most common here in the land of congestion and divided roads.
    edited May 2011
    I hate them. There's a reason UPS drivers make three right turns to get where they are going. (ABC)
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,067
    I don't know if the civil war vet in his pristine 20 year old Caddy going 55 in the left lane of a 60 with traffic flying around him is making an appropriate decision

Hey, I'm not that old! I'm a youthful veteran of the Spanish-American War!
    I make a left turn against a sign every workday when I leave my garage - but at 0530, there are no cars to see me :shades:

Around here, most busy roads have traffic controls and dividers.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    AZ handles that problem by making everyone make U-turns. :shades:

No kiddin'. And it often works, too.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Lots of u-turn lanes where I live too, due to the divided roads. It works alright, save for where the u-turn area meets a stoplight, and nobody knows what to do.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    yep, exactly right. The first time I started turning right and somebody was whipping around on a U-turn in Tucson I almost had ta pee my pants. All of a sudden the grille of this U-turner was there in my face as I went in ta my turn!

Halt!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

"Making a heavy vehicle lighter will improve efficiency—but it can make a vehicle less protective of its occupants unless other vehicles slim down in proportion. Even if all new vehicles are made lighter, but share the road with older, heavier vehicles, the people in newer vehicles could suffer, safety researchers say.

Electronic stability-control systems, plus more and smarter air bags have become standard equipment. More and more SUVs were shifted off of heavy pickup-truck frames, and on to a lower-riding chassis shared with sedans or minivans.

The result: NHTSA says the fatality rate for rollover accidents involving all SUVs was cut in half between 1999 and 2009."

SUVs: Safer, Heavier, But What About the Gas? (WSJ)
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 432
    ...........more money than they deserve,..........

Explain.
    edited May 2011
    Gigantic retirement entitlements, especially in the public sector, that following generations will both be broken by and unable to even approach for themselves. It's too bad the depression era parents spoiled so.
  • prlady1prlady1 Posts: 573
    Did you hear today's news that a Central California judge is allowing an unintended acceleration-related lawsuit against Toyota to move forward? AutoRemarketing Today reported "Plaintiffs are alleging that Toyota was aware that the vehicle had the potential to accelerate unexpectedly. However, Toyota supposedly would not put in a brake-override or fail-safe system 'in an effort to meet its profitability and production goals,' according to the statement from plaintiff attorneys."
    Edmunds.com CEO Jeremy Anwyl reacted with these words: "Interesting idea: Toyota should have built in preventative measure for a defect that may not exist."
    What do you think?
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Posts: 165
    I would like to see better seatbelts. What are they called? Three-point or five-point harnesses, standard in ALL CARS by 2015. If it's good enough for a race car driver to walk away from a 200 mph impact, it's good enough for me driving maybe 75 tops.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    But also totally bulky, uncomfortable, and inconvenient. And considering that those are used in racing where the speeds are three times as high, you have to wonder if such a restraint system is necessary in light-duty vehicles when seatbelts seem to be doing their jobs in passenger cars pretty well.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)