Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Truly safe?

12345679»

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 38,549
    edited January 6
    I noticed the same in Italy. It was insane, with rules made up on the spot and things like stop lights and turn lanes taken as suggestions, but I saw no crashes, no close calls. Horns are used to communicate, so it would probably offend some wimpy PNWers. I remember being nervous to drive that X5 through morning rush hour in Torino, but I had no real problems. Just pay attention, drive with a little bravery, and others will see you. A lot less phone use there too.
  • texasestexases Posts: 7,266
    Take a drive in Naples - EXCITING!

Death rate/person in the US is about 10, in Italy about 6. But no info on rate/km, US drives a lot more.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 52,077
    The only reason they don't drive on the sidewalks in Italy is because that's where everyone parks their cars.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 53,925
    True, but the rate is per 100,000 miles, so there's no reason to presume that driving at a 5X the distance rate of the Italians would change things very much, is there?

Naples, Palermo---tough cities to drive in. You have to be really focused. It reminded me of being projected into a video game or a pinball machine.
    texases said:

Take a drive in Naples - EXCITING!

Death rate/person in the US is about 10, in Italy about 6. But no info on rate/km, US drives a lot more.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• texasestexases Posts: 7,266
    No, the rate is per 100,000 people. There isn't data available for Italy for deaths per billion km, like that in the table I posted.
    This stat strikes me as pretty remarkable.

"The company, which actually has one vehicle – the Volvo XC90 – in which no one in the U.S. has died in in at least four years"

Volvo Says It Will Have A Death-Proof Car By 2020
    (Consumerist)

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

I wonder how that stat is for similar upmarket barges - GL, Landcruiser, LX, etc.
    Yeah, we'd have to know how many accidents occurred, how many cumulative miles, that sort of thing. Probably nobody has died in a Tesla either. OH wait that's not true. A Tesla drove off a cliff on the Pacific Highway here in Sonoma County. Personally, that's not an accident I'd want to chance even in a Volvo XC90.

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 7,369
    Yes, going off a cliff into an inescapable body of water, might be preferable to die from the collision rather than from drowning in the death-proof (from collision), but not waterproof XC90.
    2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.
    In the cold waters off Calfornia's northern coast, even if you survived the plunge, in that water you'd be unconscious pretty soon. The idea of a "death proof" car is pretty arrogant if you ask me.

How to find bad drivers on the road near you (Washington Post)

There's an app for that....

I just read the car's nameplate. Tells me everything I need to know. B)

I'm thinking that app will crash in about four months when every last one of us winds up in their database.

dumb app, IMO.

edited June 23
    What ever happened to those suction cup darts we were going to shoot at other people's cars when they cut us off? (Daily Beacon)

In other news, manufacturers continue to build for the test.

Risks Higher for Front-Seat Passengers in Some S.U.V. Crashes, Tests Show
    (NY Times)

I don't understand how it will track car's locations without shooting a sticky magnetized sensor beacon onto their sheet metal.
    2016 Audi TTS 2.0T quattro AWD. 2016 Kia Optima LX 1.6T FWD. Wife 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE DSG FWD.
    "For $130, the Automatic Pro comes with a lifetime no-monthly-fee cell connection. It isn’t as full-service as some competitors that provide help with less serious car troubles, but it offers the ability to locate your car pretty much anywhere, anytime, and ongoing assistance for serious crashes."

Plugs into your OBD-II port and will call 911 (and your spouse) if it detects a crash. Well, first, a human tries to call you, then they call 911.

A 911 Lifeline for Your Car, No Fees Required (WSJ registration link but you may find it on Google with a headline search)

edited November 8
    "A spokesman for the Department for Transport said: "Smart motorways smooth traffic flow and cut congestion for millions of motorists, with evidence from trials showing they are just as safe as regular motorways.

"Enforcement is a matter for the police and it is clear that speeding costs lives. However, we have been clear for a number of years that speed cameras should not be used to generate revenue."

Smart motorways catch more than 1,000 speeding drivers a week (BBC)

Sounds to me like the limits might be too low, if so many are exceeding them. I doubt anyone will be required to prove the limits are optimal.

Four characters describe modern Britain: 1984
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 9,228
    Exactly. I read one story where some punks were trying to break into a house and the homeowner threatened them with a knife. SHE received a warning from the police.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2004 X3 2.5i Son's: 2009 328i

Well laws are written to be broken. If they didn't want any law broken, they'd make the speed limit 125mph.

Well laws are written to be broken. If they didn't want any law broken, they'd make the speed limit 125mph.

or 225 MPH for the Supercar owners.
    I'm okay with 225 mph speed limits for Eric Von Poseur III. Let Darwin sort it out.