Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Truly safe?

12345679»

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 37,561
    edited January 6
    I noticed the same in Italy. It was insane, with rules made up on the spot and things like stop lights and turn lanes taken as suggestions, but I saw no crashes, no close calls. Horns are used to communicate, so it would probably offend some wimpy PNWers. I remember being nervous to drive that X5 through morning rush hour in Torino, but I had no real problems. Just pay attention, drive with a little bravery, and others will see you. A lot less phone use there too.
  • texasestexases Posts: 7,038
    Take a drive in Naples - EXCITING!

Death rate/person in the US is about 10, in Italy about 6. But no info on rate/km, US drives a lot more.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 50,558
    The only reason they don't drive on the sidewalks in Italy is because that's where everyone parks their cars.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 52,367
    True, but the rate is per 100,000 miles, so there's no reason to presume that driving at a 5X the distance rate of the Italians would change things very much, is there?

Naples, Palermo---tough cities to drive in. You have to be really focused. It reminded me of being projected into a video game or a pinball machine.
    texases said:

Take a drive in Naples - EXCITING!

Death rate/person in the US is about 10, in Italy about 6. But no info on rate/km, US drives a lot more.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• texasestexases Posts: 7,038
    No, the rate is per 100,000 people. There isn't data available for Italy for deaths per billion km, like that in the table I posted.
    This stat strikes me as pretty remarkable.

"The company, which actually has one vehicle – the Volvo XC90 – in which no one in the U.S. has died in in at least four years"

Volvo Says It Will Have A Death-Proof Car By 2020
    (Consumerist)

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include city or zip code and trim you are shopping, FWD or AWD, etc.

• fintailfintail Posts: 37,561
    I wonder how that stat is for similar upmarket barges - GL, Landcruiser, LX, etc.
    Yeah, we'd have to know how many accidents occurred, how many cumulative miles, that sort of thing. Probably nobody has died in a Tesla either. OH wait that's not true. A Tesla drove off a cliff on the Pacific Highway here in Sonoma County. Personally, that's not an accident I'd want to chance even in a Volvo XC90.

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 6,836
    Yes, going off a cliff into an inescapable body of water, might be preferable to die from the collision rather than from drowning in the death-proof (from collision), but not waterproof XC90.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE
    In the cold waters off Calfornia's northern coast, even if you survived the plunge, in that water you'd be unconscious pretty soon. The idea of a "death proof" car is pretty arrogant if you ask me.

How to find bad drivers on the road near you (Washington Post)

There's an app for that....

I just read the car's nameplate. Tells me everything I need to know. B)

I'm thinking that app will crash in about four months when every last one of us winds up in their database.

dumb app, IMO.

edited June 23
    What ever happened to those suction cup darts we were going to shoot at other people's cars when they cut us off? (Daily Beacon)

In other news, manufacturers continue to build for the test.

Risks Higher for Front-Seat Passengers in Some S.U.V. Crashes, Tests Show
    (NY Times)

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 6,836
    I don't understand how it will track car's locations without shooting a sticky magnetized sensor beacon onto their sheet metal.
    2016 Audi TTS S-Tronic (DSG 6-Speed) quattro. Wife has 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI SE