Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Truly safe?

12345679»

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 36,453
    edited January 6
    I noticed the same in Italy. It was insane, with rules made up on the spot and things like stop lights and turn lanes taken as suggestions, but I saw no crashes, no close calls. Horns are used to communicate, so it would probably offend some wimpy PNWers. I remember being nervous to drive that X5 through morning rush hour in Torino, but I had no real problems. Just pay attention, drive with a little bravery, and others will see you. A lot less phone use there too.
  • texasestexases Posts: 6,583
    Take a drive in Naples - EXCITING!

Death rate/person in the US is about 10, in Italy about 6. But no info on rate/km, US drives a lot more.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 47,550
    The only reason they don't drive on the sidewalks in Italy is because that's where everyone parks their cars.

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include selling price (not OTD), zip code and trim you are shopping.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 49,826
    True, but the rate is per 100,000 miles, so there's no reason to presume that driving at a 5X the distance rate of the Italians would change things very much, is there?

Naples, Palermo---tough cities to drive in. You have to be really focused. It reminded me of being projected into a video game or a pinball machine.
    texases said:

Take a drive in Naples - EXCITING!

Death rate/person in the US is about 10, in Italy about 6. But no info on rate/km, US drives a lot more.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• texasestexases Posts: 6,583
    No, the rate is per 100,000 people. There isn't data available for Italy for deaths per billion km, like that in the table I posted.
    This stat strikes me as pretty remarkable.

"The company, which actually has one vehicle – the Volvo XC90 – in which no one in the U.S. has died in in at least four years"

Volvo Says It Will Have A Death-Proof Car By 2020
    (Consumerist)

Moderator - Buying questions? Please include selling price (not OTD), zip code and trim you are shopping.

• fintailfintail Posts: 36,453
    I wonder how that stat is for similar upmarket barges - GL, Landcruiser, LX, etc.
    Yeah, we'd have to know how many accidents occurred, how many cumulative miles, that sort of thing. Probably nobody has died in a Tesla either. OH wait that's not true. A Tesla drove off a cliff on the Pacific Highway here in Sonoma County. Personally, that's not an accident I'd want to chance even in a Volvo XC90.

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 6,113
    Yes, going off a cliff into an inescapable body of water, might be preferable to die from the collision rather than from drowning in the death-proof (from collision), but not waterproof XC90.
    In the cold waters off Calfornia's northern coast, even if you survived the plunge, in that water you'd be unconscious pretty soon. The idea of a "death proof" car is pretty arrogant if you ask me.

If you considered a small car but ended up buying something larger, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com by Friday, 2/5/16 with a few words about your decision including the make and model that you chose.